Re: dual boot xp and 7.04 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: dual boot xp and 7.04 - Ubuntu ; On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 19:59:38 -0400, Muffin wrote: > n not boot into xp any more. I have tried the recovery console and > fixmbr with no luck. Boot from your XP disk. Skip the first repair suggestion and ...

  1. Re: dual boot xp and 7.04

    On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 19:59:38 -0400, Muffin wrote:

    > n not boot into xp any more. I have tried the recovery console and
    > fixmbr with no luck.

    Boot from your XP disk. Skip the first repair suggestion and go to the
    second one. If it recognize your existing partition, go ahead and
    continue with the R option, it is called in place repair.
    If your XP partition is not recognized it means that it is either ****ed
    up by your ubuntu installation ( the resize can be a bitch). Did you
    backup before the ubuntu install? Did you try
    fixboot
    fixmbr?
    from the xp CD?

    --
    support green computers
    http://www.woodcontour.com

  2. Re: dual boot xp and 7.04

    Holz wrote:

    > Boot from your XP disk. Skip the first repair suggestion and go to the
    > second one. If it recognize your existing partition, go ahead and
    > continue with the R option, it is called in place repair.
    > If your XP partition is not recognized it means that it is either ****ed
    > up by your ubuntu installation ( the resize can be a bitch). Did you
    > backup before the ubuntu install? Did you try
    > fixboot
    > fixmbr?
    > from the xp CD?

    I have done all of that with no luck.

    I just reinstalled ubuntu. Still have same issue. I can see the
    partition. I have all data saved but not the os itself(on other drives).
    I have a lot of rebuilding to do I guess.

    Thx

  3. Re: dual boot xp and 7.04

    Muffin wrote:
    > Holz wrote:
    >>
    >> Boot from your XP disk. Skip the first repair suggestion and go to the
    >> second one. If it recognize your existing partition, go ahead and
    >> continue with the R option, it is called in place repair.
    >> If your XP partition is not recognized it means that it is either ****ed
    >> up by your ubuntu installation ( the resize can be a bitch). Did you
    >> backup before the ubuntu install? Did you try
    >> fixboot
    >> fixmbr?
    >> from the xp CD?
    >>

    > I have done all of that with no luck.
    >
    > I just reinstalled ubuntu. Still have same issue. I can see the
    > partition. I have all data saved but not the os itself(on other drives).
    > I have a lot of rebuilding to do I guess.

    You did the XP in-place reinstall and it didn't take???

    I've done dozens of them and it has worked every time.

    Step-by-step instructions with pictures:

    http://www.informationweek.com/windo...leID=189400897

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  4. Re: dual boot xp and 7.04

    Mark Warner wrote:
    > Muffin wrote:
    >> Holz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Boot from your XP disk. Skip the first repair suggestion and go to the
    >>> second one. If it recognize your existing partition, go ahead and
    >>> continue with the R option, it is called in place repair.
    >>> If your XP partition is not recognized it means that it is either ****ed
    >>> up by your ubuntu installation ( the resize can be a bitch). Did you
    >>> backup before the ubuntu install? Did you try
    >>> fixboot
    >>> fixmbr?
    >>> from the xp CD?
    >>>

    >> I have done all of that with no luck.
    >>
    >> I just reinstalled ubuntu. Still have same issue. I can see the
    >> partition. I have all data saved but not the os itself(on other
    >> drives). I have a lot of rebuilding to do I guess.

    > You did the XP in-place reinstall and it didn't take???
    >
    > I've done dozens of them and it has worked every time.
    >
    > Step-by-step instructions with pictures:
    >
    > http://www.informationweek.com/windo...leID=189400897

    yep , I even tryed to install into the same directory. I done that too
    for other reasons in the past. All I do basicly is start a reinstall
    into the same partition where the old os is, just do not format it, but
    install into a different folder .. like say AWINDOWS. The first part of
    the install downloads files to the partition , builds a loader and then
    reboots. You should see your old system as well as an entry for the
    system you are about to install. Just stop installing and clean up the
    boot.ini. That did not work for me either this time. On reboot it could
    not find the loader. In short it looked to me like the resizer did a
    number to my drive. In any case I decided to reinstall both os and
    repartition by hand.

    That resizer leaves something to be desired for me. I am sure it works
    for everyone else, it just hates the F$%^ out of me!

  5. Re: dual boot xp and 7.04

    On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:58:23 -0400, Muffin wrote:

    > untu. Still have s

    Can you boot with Bartpe and pull your info? Or Acronis CD with BartPE to
    imabe to an external and then plug in the image to restore your stuff?
    Parted can also do it for you.

    --
    support green computers
    http://www.woodcontour.com