picasa - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on picasa - Ubuntu ; I just installed picasa2 on a new Feisty and Debian Etch install. In both cases the "BlogThis!" button just makes the mouse cursor whir for a second before returning to the normal pointer but does nothing. Is there some sort ...

  1. picasa

    I just installed picasa2 on a new Feisty and Debian Etch install. In
    both cases the "BlogThis!" button just makes the mouse cursor whir for a
    second before returning to the normal pointer but does nothing. Is there
    some sort of hidden setting?

    Is anyone using this feature successfully so that I know I am not
    flogging a dead horse to try and make it work?

    --
    If you can't get your work done in the first 24 hours, work nights.

  2. Re: picasa

    Hadron writes:

    > I just installed picasa2 on a new Feisty and Debian Etch install. In
    > both cases the "BlogThis!" button just makes the mouse cursor whir for a
    > second before returning to the normal pointer but does nothing. Is there
    > some sort of hidden setting?
    >
    > Is anyone using this feature successfully so that I know I am not
    > flogging a dead horse to try and make it work?

    In addition, the "email this" function says it can't connect to
    gmail. Aargh. The "fix" is apparently to modify IE settings .....

    --
    "Cogito ergo I'm right and you're wrong."
    -- Blair Houghton

  3. Re: picasa

    On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 02:25:28 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Hadron writes:
    >
    >> I just installed picasa2 on a new Feisty and Debian Etch install. In
    >> both cases the "BlogThis!" button just makes the mouse cursor whir for
    >> a second before returning to the normal pointer but does nothing. Is
    >> there some sort of hidden setting?
    >>
    >> Is anyone using this feature successfully so that I know I am not
    >> flogging a dead horse to try and make it work?

    > In addition, the "email this" function says it can't connect to gmail.
    > Aargh. The "fix" is apparently to modify IE settings .....

    Hadron,

    If publishing to a blog and e-mailing aren't working it sounds like
    picassa2 isn't finding the applications (consistently, for me
    appilcations that interact with browsers look in the wrong place for
    firefox, and often under the wrong name) or requires some account
    configuration within the program itself.

    Looked in all the nooks and crannies for paths and accounts?

    Frank

    --
    "Life is not a spectator sport" - Jackie Robinson

  4. Re: picasa

    frank writes:

    > On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 02:25:28 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron writes:
    >>
    >>> I just installed picasa2 on a new Feisty and Debian Etch install. In
    >>> both cases the "BlogThis!" button just makes the mouse cursor whir for
    >>> a second before returning to the normal pointer but does nothing. Is
    >>> there some sort of hidden setting?
    >>>
    >>> Is anyone using this feature successfully so that I know I am not
    >>> flogging a dead horse to try and make it work?

    >> In addition, the "email this" function says it can't connect to gmail.
    >> Aargh. The "fix" is apparently to modify IE settings .....

    > Hadron,
    >
    > If publishing to a blog and e-mailing aren't working it sounds like
    > picassa2 isn't finding the applications (consistently, for me
    > appilcations that interact with browsers look in the wrong place for
    > firefox, and often under the wrong name) or requires some account
    > configuration within the program itself.

    There are no applications as it talks directly to the blogger API or to
    GMail. Unless you know something different? e.g I have selected GMail in
    the email settings.

    > Looked in all the nooks and crannies for paths and accounts?

    There are very few. Which is why I am asking here if they are working
    for anyone using the latest picasa install.

    --
    The Surgeon General has determined that cigarette smoking is hazardous to your
    health.

  5. Re: picasa

    On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 02:25:28 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Hadron writes:
    >
    >> I just installed picasa2 on a new Feisty and Debian Etch install. In
    >> both cases the "BlogThis!" button just makes the mouse cursor whir for a
    >> second before returning to the normal pointer but does nothing. Is there
    >> some sort of hidden setting?
    >>
    >> Is anyone using this feature successfully so that I know I am not
    >> flogging a dead horse to try and make it work?

    > In addition, the "email this" function says it can't connect to
    > gmail. Aargh. The "fix" is apparently to modify IE settings .....

    Why didn't you use google? he he

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  6. Re: picasa

    "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > I just installed picasa2 on a new Feisty and Debian Etch install. In
    > both cases the "BlogThis!" button just makes the mouse cursor whir
    > for a second before returning to the normal pointer but does nothing.
    > Is there some sort of hidden setting?
    >
    > Is anyone using this feature successfully so that I know I am not
    > flogging a dead horse to try and make it work?

    Picasa (although I don't run it here) comes with it's own version of
    Wine. Try and run it from within your distro's version of wine
    i.e
    $ cd /opt/picasa/wine/drive_c/Program Files/Picasa2
    $ wine Picasa2.exe

    If the problem is no longer there, create a launcher to the above.

    The only other thing I can think of is its Mozilla code (Picasa uses
    some code from the Mozilla Open Source) but I wouldn't know where to
    start troubleshooting with that.

    Failing all of that, ask the support group....
    http://groups.google.com/group/Googl...casa-for-Linux

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  7. Re: picasa

    MCR writes:

    > On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 02:25:28 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron writes:
    >>
    >>> I just installed picasa2 on a new Feisty and Debian Etch install. In
    >>> both cases the "BlogThis!" button just makes the mouse cursor whir for a
    >>> second before returning to the normal pointer but does nothing. Is there
    >>> some sort of hidden setting?
    >>>
    >>> Is anyone using this feature successfully so that I know I am not
    >>> flogging a dead horse to try and make it work?

    >> In addition, the "email this" function says it can't connect to
    >> gmail. Aargh. The "fix" is apparently to modify IE settings .....
    >>

    > Why didn't you use google? he he

    I did. But google wont tell me if anyone here using is Ubuntu uses picasa
    successfully. It only tells of problems.

    --
    Do not fold, spindle or mutilate.

  8. Re: picasa

    Moog writes:

    > "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> I just installed picasa2 on a new Feisty and Debian Etch install. In
    >> both cases the "BlogThis!" button just makes the mouse cursor whir
    >> for a second before returning to the normal pointer but does nothing.
    >> Is there some sort of hidden setting?
    >>
    >> Is anyone using this feature successfully so that I know I am not
    >> flogging a dead horse to try and make it work?

    > Picasa (although I don't run it here) comes with it's own version of
    > Wine. Try and run it from within your distro's version of wine
    > i.e
    > $ cd /opt/picasa/wine/drive_c/Program Files/Picasa2
    > $ wine Picasa2.exe

    Had already tried that - I installed a launcher by installing picasa
    using another version of Wine.

    > If the problem is no longer there, create a launcher to the above.
    >
    > The only other thing I can think of is its Mozilla code (Picasa uses
    > some code from the Mozilla Open Source) but I wouldn't know where to
    > start troubleshooting with that.
    >
    > Failing all of that, ask the support group....
    > http://groups.google.com/group/Googl...casa-for-Linux

    Is there anyone reading who uses these features and can state positively
    that they work under feisty?

    --
    There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he has to take the bull
    by the tail and face the situation.

  9. Re: picasa

    On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 12:24:32 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > MCR writes:

    >>> In addition, the "email this" function says it can't connect to
    >>> gmail. Aargh. The "fix" is apparently to modify IE settings .....
    >>>

    >> Why didn't you use google? he he

    > I did. But google wont tell me if anyone here using is Ubuntu uses picasa
    > successfully. It only tells of problems.

    To be more helpful I will state that I did use picassa once on an ubuntu
    machine and I don't remember any of the issues that you are mentioning.
    Sorry, it was on a machine I have given away so I cannot test it to see.

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  10. Re: picasa

    "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Moog writes:
    >
    > > "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > >

    > >> I just installed picasa2 on a new Feisty and Debian Etch install.
    > >> In both cases the "BlogThis!" button just makes the mouse cursor
    > >> whir for a second before returning to the normal pointer but does
    > >> nothing. Is there some sort of hidden setting?
    > >>
    > >> Is anyone using this feature successfully so that I know I am not
    > >> flogging a dead horse to try and make it work?

    > > Picasa (although I don't run it here) comes with it's own version of
    > > Wine. Try and run it from within your distro's version of wine
    > > i.e
    > > $ cd /opt/picasa/wine/drive_c/Program Files/Picasa2
    > > $ wine Picasa2.exe

    > Had already tried that - I installed a launcher by installing picasa
    > using another version of Wine.

    That's not what the above instructions tell you. It says to *run*
    Picasa2 with the wine version installed from Ubuntu repositories.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  11. Re: picasa

    Moog writes:

    > "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> Moog writes:
    >>
    >> > "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> > Picasa (although I don't run it here) comes with it's own version of
    >> > Wine. Try and run it from within your distro's version of wine
    >> > i.e
    >> > $ cd /opt/picasa/wine/drive_c/Program Files/Picasa2
    >> > $ wine Picasa2.exe

    >> Had already tried that - I installed a launcher by installing picasa
    >> using another version of Wine.

    > That's not what the above instructions tell you. It says to *run*
    > Picasa2 with the wine version installed from Ubuntu repositories.

    Had already tried that - I miseed an "also". I created a launcher which launched
    the picasa exe using the built in Wine.

    --
    In Brooklyn, we had such great pennant races, it made the World Series
    just something that came later.

  12. Re: picasa

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog writes:

    >>> Had already tried that - I installed a launcher by installing picasa
    >>> using another version of Wine.

    >> That's not what the above instructions tell you. It says to *run*
    >> Picasa2 with the wine version installed from Ubuntu repositories.

    > Had already tried that - I miseed an "also". I created a launcher which launched
    > the picasa exe using the built in Wine.

    I'll install Picasa2 later mate. I'll let you know how I get on.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

+ Reply to Thread