Continuing with Dual Boot - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Continuing with Dual Boot - Ubuntu ; First I want to thank Mark for helping me along last night until I couldn't stay awake. I don't know that my problem is worth all the mail it created:-) The big thing that Mark identified for me was that ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Continuing with Dual Boot

  1. Continuing with Dual Boot

    First I want to thank Mark for helping me along last night until I
    couldn't stay awake.

    I don't know that my problem is worth all the mail it created:-)

    The big thing that Mark identified for me was that since the Linux
    partition had been copied from partition one to partition 2 on the new
    HD, it was still being incorrectly pointed to.

    Then, when we both at approximately the same time, found out I was using
    1st instead of lst, we turned another corner.
    In between all that, he and others suggested and I tried, a variety of
    combinations, to get Grub working.
    When I try everything that has been suggested and it doesn't do the
    trick, I try variations of the same commands, assuming that I have typed
    something wrong someplace and that generated a lot of mail.
    I am grateful for those who helped and for the support, from those who
    provided it.
    After all was said and done last night, Ubuntu boots directly now and I
    still don't have Dual Boot working.
    It is time for me to review what I have done and take another stab at it
    in the very near future.

    Thanks again to all.
    Richard

  2. Re: Continuing with Dual Boot

    me wrote:

    > It is time for me to review what I have done and take another stab at it
    > in the very near future.


    From a terminal (the installed, running Ubuntu, not the Live CD):

    sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

    Right after the Memtest entry (scroll waaaay down) add the following

    title Windows at hda1
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

    Make sure you have a hard return after the "+1".

    Save the changes and reboot. You should now have a Windows entry at the
    boot of the Grub boot screen.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  3. Re: Continuing with Dual Boot DONE

    Mark Warner wrote:
    > me wrote:
    >
    >> It is time for me to review what I have done and take another stab at
    >> it in the very near future.

    >
    > From a terminal (the installed, running Ubuntu, not the Live CD):
    >
    > sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >
    > Right after the Memtest entry (scroll waaaay down) add the following
    >
    > title Windows at hda1
    > rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    > chainloader +1
    >
    > Make sure you have a hard return after the "+1".
    >
    > Save the changes and reboot. You should now have a Windows entry at the
    > boot of the Grub boot screen.
    >

    THANK YOU once again. That did it!!
    I tried both OSs and I can boot them both (one at a time).
    I also learned that I had to hit "esc" to access the boot menu.
    All is OK.
    Thanks,
    Richard

  4. Re: Continuing with Dual Boot DONE

    me wrote:
    > Mark Warner wrote:
    >> me wrote:
    >>>
    >>> It is time for me to review what I have done and take another stab at
    >>> it in the very near future.

    >>
    >> From a terminal (the installed, running Ubuntu, not the Live CD):
    >>
    >> sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >>
    >> Right after the Memtest entry (scroll waaaay down) add the following
    >>
    >> title Windows at hda1
    >> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    >> chainloader +1
    >>
    >> Make sure you have a hard return after the "+1".
    >>
    >> Save the changes and reboot. You should now have a Windows entry at
    >> the boot of the Grub boot screen.

    >
    > THANK YOU once again. That did it!!
    > I tried both OSs and I can boot them both (one at a time).
    > I also learned that I had to hit "esc" to access the boot menu.
    > All is OK.


    Good deal. You're welcome.

    Pay it forward.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  5. Re: Continuing with Dual Boot DONE

    On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 18:21:49 -0500, me wrote:
    > Mark Warner wrote:
    >> me wrote:
    >>

    > THANK YOU once again. That did it!!
    > I tried both OSs and I can boot them both (one at a time).
    > I also learned that I had to hit "esc" to access the boot menu.
    > All is OK.
    > Thanks,
    > Richard


    Richard,

    The following is snipped from your /boot/grub/menu.lst

    ## hiddenmenu
    # Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
    hiddenmenu

    Add a pound sign # in front of the hiddenmenu and your menu will be
    visable without the ESC. Should look like below.

    ## hiddenmenu
    # Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
    #hiddenmenu

    Glad you have things working and thanks to Mark for his hard work!

    Cheers,
    Goph


    --
    Google is your friend LRU# 195835
    http://www.google.com
    http://groups.google.com
    ngbyrd1976-aolm at yahoo dot com to reply

  6. Re: Continuing with Dual Boot DONE

    Gopher wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 18:21:49 -0500, me wrote:
    >> Mark Warner wrote:
    >>> me wrote:
    >>>

    >> THANK YOU once again. That did it!!
    >> I tried both OSs and I can boot them both (one at a time).
    >> I also learned that I had to hit "esc" to access the boot menu.
    >> All is OK.
    >> Thanks,
    >> Richard

    >
    > Richard,
    >
    > The following is snipped from your /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >
    > ## hiddenmenu
    > # Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
    > hiddenmenu
    >
    > Add a pound sign # in front of the hiddenmenu and your menu will be
    > visable without the ESC. Should look like below.
    >
    > ## hiddenmenu
    > # Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
    > #hiddenmenu
    >
    > Glad you have things working and thanks to Mark for his hard work!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Goph
    >
    >

    Thanks for the tidbit :-)
    Yes, Mark really helped a lot!
    Richard

+ Reply to Thread