Gutsy update problem - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Gutsy update problem - Ubuntu ; Hi, I am running Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) with GNOME 2.20 and am having a problem with the updates gnome-control-center 1:2.19.92-0ubuntu1 and libgnome-windows-settings1 1:2.19.92-0ubuntu3. After applying, mouse 'click' doesn't work, IE can point to an object, clicking on it does nothing. ...

  1. Gutsy update problem

    Hi, I am running Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) with GNOME 2.20 and am having a
    problem with the updates
    gnome-control-center 1:2.19.92-0ubuntu1 and
    libgnome-windows-settings1 1:2.19.92-0ubuntu3.

    After applying, mouse 'click' doesn't work, IE can point to an object,
    clicking on it does nothing.
    Anyone else have problems?

    Richard.

  2. Re: Gutsy update problem

    Richard illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Hi, I am running Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) with GNOME 2.20 and am having a
    > problem with the updates
    > gnome-control-center 1:2.19.92-0ubuntu1 and
    > libgnome-windows-settings1 1:2.19.92-0ubuntu3.
    >
    > After applying, mouse 'click' doesn't work, IE can point to an object,
    > clicking on it does nothing.
    > Anyone else have problems?
    >
    > Richard.

    Hi Richard,

    I doubt it's got anything to do with gonome cntrol settings or
    libgnome.

    If you can, try and run update manager again and see if there's
    any more packages to be upgraded. It's easy to be caught out

    FWIW, I've upgraded toay with no issues at all. I tend to leave it 8
    hours after the first updates show though and then run update manager
    again. I've been caught with strange behaviour after upgrading before
    now.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  3. Re: Gutsy update problem

    >> Hi, I am running Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) with GNOME 2.20 and am having a
    >> problem with the updates
    >> gnome-control-center 1:2.19.92-0ubuntu1 and
    >> libgnome-windows-settings1 1:2.19.92-0ubuntu3.
    >>
    >> After applying, mouse 'click' doesn't work, IE can point to an object,
    >> clicking on it does nothing.
    >> Anyone else have problems?
    >>
    >> Richard.

    > Hi Richard,
    >
    > I doubt it's got anything to do with gnome control settings or
    > libgnome.
    >
    > If you can, try and run update manager again and see if there's
    > any more packages to be upgraded. It's easy to be caught out
    >
    > FWIW, I've upgraded today with no issues at all. I tend to leave it 8
    > hours after the first updates show though and then run update manager
    > again. I've been caught with strange behavior after upgrading before
    > now.

    On the same subject I updated 7.10 last night, burning the midnight oil,
    a two stage update but the 'Compiz' did not update for some reason.
    Anyway this morning down came a few more updates which did include
    Compiz. After rebooting I lost the 'desktop effects'.. have since tried
    tried the 'restricted' nvidia drivers but so far I've lost the desktop
    settings and the desktop effects. I wonder if there is a simple
    solution? Otherwise I'll have to go back to my working version and
    update again some late night. Any comments welcome.
    --
    Regards,
    Cushie

  4. Re: Gutsy update problem

    Cushie illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Hi, I am running Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) with GNOME 2.20 and am having a
    >>> problem with the updates
    >>> gnome-control-center 1:2.19.92-0ubuntu1 and
    >>> libgnome-windows-settings1 1:2.19.92-0ubuntu3.
    >>>
    >>> After applying, mouse 'click' doesn't work, IE can point to an object,
    >>> clicking on it does nothing.
    >>> Anyone else have problems?
    >>>
    >>> Richard.

    >> Hi Richard,
    >>
    >> I doubt it's got anything to do with gnome control settings or
    >> libgnome.
    >>
    >> If you can, try and run update manager again and see if there's
    >> any more packages to be upgraded. It's easy to be caught out
    >>
    >> FWIW, I've upgraded today with no issues at all. I tend to leave it 8
    >> hours after the first updates show though and then run update manager
    >> again. I've been caught with strange behavior after upgrading before
    >> now.
    >>

    > On the same subject I updated 7.10 last night, burning the midnight oil,
    > a two stage update but the 'Compiz' did not update for some reason.
    > Anyway this morning down came a few more updates which did include
    > Compiz. After rebooting I lost the 'desktop effects'.. have since tried
    > tried the 'restricted' nvidia drivers but so far I've lost the desktop
    > settings and the desktop effects. I wonder if there is a simple
    > solution? Otherwise I'll have to go back to my working version and
    > update again some late night. Any comments welcome.

    It could well be that one of the other compiz dependencies or libraries
    has not yet been updated. This can happen frequently to many apps in
    pre-release updates. I'd suggest running update manager again
    tommorrow.

    If there's a problem, the dev team will know about it, or
    you can check for yourself by checking the launchpad pages.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  5. Re: Gutsy update problem

    > If there's a problem, the dev team will know about it, or you can check
    > for yourself by checking the launchpad pages.

    Launchpad pages? can you supply a link please?

  6. Re: Gutsy update problem

    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  7. Re: Gutsy update problem

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Richard illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Hi, I am running Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) with GNOME 2.20 and am having a
    >> problem with the updates
    >> gnome-control-center 1:2.19.92-0ubuntu1 and
    >> libgnome-windows-settings1 1:2.19.92-0ubuntu3.
    >>
    >> After applying, mouse 'click' doesn't work, IE can point to an object,
    >> clicking on it does nothing.
    >> Anyone else have problems?
    >>
    >> Richard.

    > Hi Richard,
    >
    > I doubt it's got anything to do with gonome cntrol settings or
    > libgnome.

    Well lets just say every thing is fine until I install gnome-control-center
    1:2.19.92-0ubuntu1 and
    libgnome-windows-settings1 1:2.19.92-0ubuntu3.
    Reverting to my backup solves problem. My system is fully up to date apart
    from these two packages.
    I reinstalled them this morning and had the same problem.

    Richard.

  8. Re: Gutsy update problem

    > Hi Richard,
    >
    > I doubt it's got anything to do with gonome cntrol settings or libgnome.

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...put-synaptics/
    +bug/140820

    Now fixed.

  9. Re: Gutsy update problem

    Richard illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> Hi Richard,
    >>
    >> I doubt it's got anything to do with gonome cntrol settings or libgnome.

    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...put-synaptics/
    > +bug/140820
    >
    > Now fixed.

    Interesting. The upate set the default trackpad behaviour as off.
    *Naughty* update. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."