Disk Partition Tables - Very Bazaar - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Disk Partition Tables - Very Bazaar - Ubuntu ; Something very strange is going on. I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my SDB drive. i have partitions for root, home, and swap. I also had an ext3 partition I used for PartImage backups, and a hidden fat32 partition for my ...

  1. Disk Partition Tables - Very Bazaar

    Something very strange is going on. I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my SDB
    drive. i have partitions for root, home, and swap. I also had an ext3
    partition I used for PartImage backups, and a hidden fat32 partition for
    my Windows Acronis backups. Everything worked just fine. I thought I'd
    install a distro called PCLinoxOS in the unallocated space on my SDB
    drive after reading a rather glowing review. And that's when the
    strangeness happened. I couldn't boot the PCLinux at all so I went into
    Windows and looked at the SDB (disk 2) partition table using Paragon
    Partition Manager. It just said ERROR and didn't show me any partition
    information. I then booted Ubuntu. X wouldn't start automatically, but
    it did start with startx. GNOME was up and running, but then it froze.
    This morning I was able to boot into Ubuntu as normal. I launched
    Gparted and it tells me that SDB is unallocated.

    So what the heck is going on? Ubuntu seems to be able to process the
    file systems OK. And when I go into Nautilus everything appears to be
    normal. Damage has been done, but yet I can do work. My question is,
    is there a utility out there that can repair the damage? I don't want
    to have to spend $89 for a copy of Spinrite. So much for glowing reviews.

    Thanks,

    Don

  2. Re: Disk Partition Tables - Very Bazaar

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:40:38 -0400, Don
    wrote:

    >So what the heck is going on? Ubuntu seems to be able to process the
    >file systems OK. And when I go into Nautilus everything appears to be
    >normal. Damage has been done, but yet I can do work. My question is,
    >is there a utility out there that can repair the damage? I don't want
    >to have to spend $89 for a copy of Spinrite. So much for glowing reviews.

    If /dev/sdb is still unallocated, I'm guessing your mistake came in
    DiskDrake when you tried to install PCLOS. The question I can't answer is
    where did you install PCLOS if /dev/sdb is still unallocated?

    BTW, PCLOS is a very good distro .. almost as good as Ubuntu. I hope you'll
    give it another chance ..

  3. Re: Disk Partition Tables - Very Bazaar

    Don wrote:
    > Something very strange is going on. I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my SDB
    > drive. i have partitions for root, home, and swap. I also had an ext3
    > partition I used for PartImage backups, and a hidden fat32 partition for
    > my Windows Acronis backups. Everything worked just fine. I thought I'd
    > install a distro called PCLinoxOS in the unallocated space on my SDB
    > drive after reading a rather glowing review. And that's when the
    > strangeness happened. I couldn't boot the PCLinux at all so I went into
    > Windows and looked at the SDB (disk 2) partition table using Paragon
    > Partition Manager. It just said ERROR and didn't show me any partition
    > information. I then booted Ubuntu. X wouldn't start automatically, but
    > it did start with startx. GNOME was up and running, but then it froze.
    > This morning I was able to boot into Ubuntu as normal. I launched
    > Gparted and it tells me that SDB is unallocated.
    >
    > So what the heck is going on? Ubuntu seems to be able to process the
    > file systems OK. And when I go into Nautilus everything appears to be
    > normal. Damage has been done, but yet I can do work. My question is,
    > is there a utility out there that can repair the damage? I don't want
    > to have to spend $89 for a copy of Spinrite. So much for glowing reviews.

    While I don't fully understand what your problem is (what does "SDB is
    unallocated" mean?), I assume that somehow you lost your sdb partition
    table.

    I've had some success using gpart which comes with most Linux distros in
    combination with fdisk.

    YMMV,

    Josef
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)