Whay has no one told me about Cedega? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Whay has no one told me about Cedega? - Ubuntu ; It will be the final nail in the windows coffin for me!...

  1. Whay has no one told me about Cedega?

    It will be the final nail in the windows coffin for me!

  2. Re: Whay has no one told me about Cedega?

    'cause you didn't ask ;-)

    --
    To err is human, to moo bovine.

  3. Re: Whay has no one told me about Cedega?

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 02:27:13 +0000, gregor wrote:

    > It will be the final nail in the windows coffin for me!

    And paying a yearly rental fee to Cedega is better than dual booting
    Windows to play games? I don't think so. Cedega is buggy anyway.

  4. Re: Whay has no one told me about Cedega?

    Juarez writes:

    > On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 02:27:13 +0000, gregor wrote:
    >
    >> It will be the final nail in the windows coffin for me!

    > And paying a yearly rental fee to Cedega is better than dual booting
    > Windows to play games? I don't think so. Cedega is buggy anyway.

    Is anyone here registered with CEDEGA? What do you think? Although I
    grumble about crappy Linux games support, I am half tempted if someone
    responsible here can state categorically that all their game work under
    CEDEGA for Linux.

    --
    May not be reproduced, in whole or in part, by any means, mechanical or
    electronic, except for brief excerpts for the purpose of inclusion in reviews.

  5. Re: Whay has no one told me about Cedega?

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:14:31 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Juarez writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 02:27:13 +0000, gregor wrote:
    >>
    >>> It will be the final nail in the windows coffin for me!

    >> And paying a yearly rental fee to Cedega is better than dual booting
    >> Windows to play games? I don't think so. Cedega is buggy anyway.

    > Is anyone here registered with CEDEGA? What do you think? Although I
    > grumble about crappy Linux games support, I am half tempted if someone
    > responsible here can state categorically that all their game work under
    > CEDEGA for Linux.

    Well Cedega really isn't much more than Wine with a GUI and game specific
    hacks applied to make some games work.

    So if you want to play like WoW or something else on the top of Cedega's
    list, Cedega is probably pretty good.

    If you want to be able to go into a store, buy any random game, and be
    able to play it...dual boot Windows.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  6. Re: Whay has no one told me about Cedega?

    Stephan Rose writes:

    > On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:14:31 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Juarez writes:

    >>> And paying a yearly rental fee to Cedega is better than dual booting
    >>> Windows to play games? I don't think so. Cedega is buggy anyway.

    >> Is anyone here registered with CEDEGA? What do you think? Although I
    >> grumble about crappy Linux games support, I am half tempted if someone
    >> responsible here can state categorically that all their game work under
    >> CEDEGA for Linux.

    > Well Cedega really isn't much more than Wine with a GUI and game specific
    > hacks applied to make some games work.

    I know what it is. The question is whether the hacks work and arrive
    quick enough.

    > So if you want to play like WoW or something else on the top of Cedega's
    > list, Cedega is probably pretty good.

    "probably"? Do you use it?

    > If you want to be able to go into a store, buy any random game, and be
    > able to play it...dual boot Windows.

    I do. But I want to know from someone who uses CEDEGA what their
    experiences are.

    --
    Maybe Computer Science should be in the College of Theology.
    -- R. S. Barton

  7. Re: Whay has no one told me about Cedega?

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:39:35 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Stephan Rose writes:

    >>> Is anyone here registered with CEDEGA? What do you think? Although I
    >>> grumble about crappy Linux games support, I am half tempted if someone
    >>> responsible here can state categorically that all their game work
    >>> under CEDEGA for Linux.

    >> Well Cedega really isn't much more than Wine with a GUI and game
    >> specific hacks applied to make some games work.

    > I know what it is. The question is whether the hacks work and arrive
    > quick enough.

    Wine is on a far more frequent update schedule and doesn't rely on hacks,
    I much prefer it over Cedega.

    >> So if you want to play like WoW or something else on the top of
    >> Cedega's list, Cedega is probably pretty good.

    > "probably"? Do you use it?

    >> If you want to be able to go into a store, buy any random game, and be
    >> able to play it...dual boot Windows.

    > I do. But I want to know from someone who uses CEDEGA what their
    > experiences are.

    I used it earlier this year. Well, I tried anyway. I gave up after the
    10th or so piece of software I had didn't work.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  8. Re: Whay has no one told me about Cedega?

    Stephan Rose illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > <....>
    > Wine is on a far more frequent update schedule and doesn't rely on hacks,
    > I much prefer it over Cedega.

    Have you tried Wine-doors yet?

    I've got it down on my todo list but haven't yet managed to gain
    enough time to do it.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  9. Re: Whay has no one told me about Cedega?

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:42:00 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Stephan Rose illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> <....>
    >> Wine is on a far more frequent update schedule and doesn't rely on
    >> hacks, I much prefer it over Cedega.

    > Have you tried Wine-doors yet?
    >
    > I've got it down on my todo list but haven't yet managed to gain enough
    > time to do it.

    I have Wine-Doors installed here.

    It is a nice start, and works well with the software on the list, but it
    isn't a very long list. It also appears to interface with cedega, for a
    common interface for Windows apps...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  10. Re: Whay has no one told me about Cedega?

    Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:42:00 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Stephan Rose illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >>> <....>
    >>> Wine is on a far more frequent update schedule and doesn't rely on
    >>> hacks, I much prefer it over Cedega.

    >> Have you tried Wine-doors yet?
    >>
    >> I've got it down on my todo list but haven't yet managed to gain enough
    >> time to do it.

    > I have Wine-Doors installed here.
    >
    > It is a nice start, and works well with the software on the list, but it
    > isn't a very long list. It also appears to interface with cedega, for a
    > common interface for Windows apps...

    Sounds very good.

    I wish I could split myself in two. I don't have the time these days.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  11. Re: Whay has no one told me about Cedega?

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 02:27:13 +0000, gregor wrote:

    > It will be the final nail in the windows coffin for me!

    Maybe because you didn't ask??

  12. Re: Whay has no one told me about Cedega?

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:16:36 -0500
    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > If you want to be able to go into a store, buy any random game, and be
    > able to play it...dual boot Windows.

    That's what I do, would be good to get all my games running under Linux
    but having to pay to do that when I already got Windows installed would
    seem silly.

    --
    To err is human, to moo bovine.

  13. Re: Whay has no one told me about Cedega?

    Stephan Rose writes:

    > On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:39:35 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Stephan Rose writes:

    >>> Well Cedega really isn't much more than Wine with a GUI and game
    >>> specific hacks applied to make some games work.

    >> I know what it is. The question is whether the hacks work and arrive
    >> quick enough.

    > Wine is on a far more frequent update schedule and doesn't rely on hacks,
    > I much prefer it over Cedega.

    Have you lost track about what we are talking about? We are discussing
    CEDEGA because it is an optimised branch for Direct X games.

+ Reply to Thread