Mutt & Getmail update - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Mutt & Getmail update - Ubuntu ; A couple of weeks ago, I posted a message stating that *getmail* no longer retrieves mail automatically at the start of *Mutt*. This was without me having to manually invoke *getmail* by typing g or Shift+g. Well, I've finally remembered ...

  1. Mutt & Getmail update

    A couple of weeks ago, I posted a message stating that *getmail* no longer
    retrieves mail automatically at the start of *Mutt*. This was without me
    having to manually invoke *getmail* by typing g or Shift+g. Well, I've
    finally remembered how I did it. I have CheckGmail v1.10.1 running in the
    background. When new mail arrives, the CheckGmail icon turns red. Well, I
    also have it set to execute getmail upon notification of new mail,
    therefore, when I call up Mutt, my new message are already waiting to be
    read. Of course, I can simply click on the CheckGmail icon which will
    automatically log into to my gmail account via my default browser, however,
    I prefer to use Mutt. Anyway, I just wanted to update you all. Take care.

    --
    Just me, D
    (Ubuntu User# 16887)

  2. Re: Mutt & Getmail update

    On 2007-09-17, Doug Jamal wrote:
    > A couple of weeks ago, I posted a message stating that *getmail* no longer
    > retrieves mail automatically at the start of *Mutt*. This was without me
    > having to manually invoke *getmail* by typing g or Shift+g. Well, I've
    > finally remembered how I did it. I have CheckGmail v1.10.1 running in the
    > background. When new mail arrives, the CheckGmail icon turns red. Well, I
    > also have it set to execute getmail upon notification of new mail,
    > therefore, when I call up Mutt, my new message are already waiting to be
    > read. Of course, I can simply click on the CheckGmail icon which will
    > automatically log into to my gmail account via my default browser, however,
    > I prefer to use Mutt. Anyway, I just wanted to update you all. Take care.

    Good to hear you resolved this issue :-) You have an exotic mix of
    old-school linux mail handling _and_ the newer GUI tools. Great to
    have the choice, although your example shows it can produce a little
    confusion!

    All the very best,

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html

  3. Re: Mutt & Getmail update

    On 2007-09-18, andrew intrigued me by typing:
    > On 2007-09-17, Doug Jamal wrote:
    >> A couple of weeks ago, I posted a message stating that *getmail* no longer
    >> retrieves mail automatically at the start of *Mutt*. This was without me
    >> having to manually invoke *getmail* by typing g or Shift+g. Well, I've
    >> finally remembered how I did it. I have CheckGmail v1.10.1 running in the
    >> background. When new mail arrives, the CheckGmail icon turns red. Well, I
    >> also have it set to execute getmail upon notification of new mail,
    >> therefore, when I call up Mutt, my new message are already waiting to be
    >> read. Of course, I can simply click on the CheckGmail icon which will
    >> automatically log into to my gmail account via my default browser, however,
    >> I prefer to use Mutt. Anyway, I just wanted to update you all. Take care.

    > Good to hear you resolved this issue :-) You have an exotic mix of
    > old-school linux mail handling _and_ the newer GUI tools. Great to
    > have the choice, although your example shows it can produce a little
    > confusion!
    >
    > All the very best,
    >
    > Andrew

    After re-reading my post, I agree and hopefully, I can clarify it better in
    this post. CheckGmail is a gmail notifier that alerts me when new messages
    arrive in my Gmail account. Additionally, CheckGmail can be configured to
    execute a command when new messages are detected and I chose to have it
    execute the *getmail* command. Therefore, when I run Mutt, my messages
    are already in my mailbox waiting to be read. I don't have to *manually*
    invoke Getmail to retrieve my messages because the CheckGmail notifier took
    care of that for me. Anyway, I hope that was clearer and, you're right
    Andrew, I am mixing the old with the new. Saweeeeet! (laugh) Take care.

    --
    Just me, D
    (Ubuntu User# 16887)

  4. Re: Mutt & Getmail update

    Doug Jamal writes:

    > On 2007-09-18, andrew intrigued me by typing:
    >> On 2007-09-17, Doug Jamal wrote:
    >>> A couple of weeks ago, I posted a message stating that *getmail* no longer
    >>> retrieves mail automatically at the start of *Mutt*. This was without me
    >>> having to manually invoke *getmail* by typing g or Shift+g. Well, I've
    >>> finally remembered how I did it. I have CheckGmail v1.10.1 running in the
    >>> background. When new mail arrives, the CheckGmail icon turns red. Well, I
    >>> also have it set to execute getmail upon notification of new mail,
    >>> therefore, when I call up Mutt, my new message are already waiting to be
    >>> read. Of course, I can simply click on the CheckGmail icon which will
    >>> automatically log into to my gmail account via my default browser, however,
    >>> I prefer to use Mutt. Anyway, I just wanted to update you all. Take care.

    >> Good to hear you resolved this issue :-) You have an exotic mix of
    >> old-school linux mail handling _and_ the newer GUI tools. Great to
    >> have the choice, although your example shows it can produce a little
    >> confusion!
    >>
    >> All the very best,
    >>
    >> Andrew
    >>

    > After re-reading my post, I agree and hopefully, I can clarify it better in
    > this post. CheckGmail is a gmail notifier that alerts me when new messages
    > arrive in my Gmail account. Additionally, CheckGmail can be configured to
    > execute a command when new messages are detected and I chose to have it
    > execute the *getmail* command. Therefore, when I run Mutt, my messages
    > are already in my mailbox waiting to be read. I don't have to *manually*
    > invoke Getmail to retrieve my messages because the CheckGmail notifier took
    > care of that for me. Anyway, I hope that was clearer and, you're right
    > Andrew, I am mixing the old with the new. Saweeeeet! (laugh) Take
    > care.

    Did you ever consider trying procmail with getmail? Quite easy to
    use. maybe you already have.

    --
    Que fácil es empujar a la gente... Pero que dif*cil guiarla.
    -- Rabindranah Tagore. (1861-1941) Filósofo y escritor indio.

  5. Re: Mutt & Getmail update

    On 18 Sep 2007 02:05:07 GMT, Doug Jamal wrote:

    > Anyway, I hope that was clearer and, you're right Andrew, I am
    > mixing the old with the new.

    Do away with some of that string and sealing wax, get yourself an
    IMAP account and a half-decent client.

    --
    Chris Game

    "Upgrade to XP, it's well better to be honest. 98 sucks biggo."
    -- Mike Campbell

  6. Re: Mutt & Getmail update

    Chris Game writes:

    > On 18 Sep 2007 02:05:07 GMT, Doug Jamal wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway, I hope that was clearer and, you're right Andrew, I am
    >> mixing the old with the new.

    > Do away with some of that string and sealing wax, get yourself an
    > IMAP account and a half-decent client.

    Chris, do you have any experience using bridges which give Gmail an IMAP
    interface? If so, pointers welcome.

    --
    Name no one man.
    -- pal*ndromo

  7. Re: Mutt & Getmail update

    On 2007-09-18, Hadron intrigued me by typing:

    > Did you ever consider trying procmail with getmail? Quite easy to
    > use. maybe you already have.

    Yes sir, I have. On a previous Ubuntu install, I used Mutt, MSMTP, Getmail
    and Procmail....I don't remember whether or not it caused Getmail to
    automatically retrieve my messages at the start of Mutt, though. Also,
    Because I am using Mutt with only my Gmail account at the moment, I didn't
    think Procmail was necessary. I mean, all of my messages are being
    delivered properly without it. Is it better to use Procmail anyway? Thanks
    for your reply and take care.

    --
    Just me, D
    (Ubuntu User# 16887)

  8. Re: Mutt & Getmail update

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:38:41 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Chris Game writes:
    >
    >> On 18 Sep 2007 02:05:07 GMT, Doug Jamal wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyway, I hope that was clearer and, you're right Andrew, I am
    >>> mixing the old with the new.

    >> Do away with some of that string and sealing wax, get yourself
    >> an IMAP account and a half-decent client.

    > Chris, do you have any experience using bridges which give Gmail
    > an IMAP interface? If so, pointers welcome.

    Gmail? You mean GoogleMail? Not an IMAP client is it?

    --
    Chris Game

    "If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority,
    it is time to pause, and reflect." -- Mark Twain

  9. Re: Mutt & Getmail update

    Chris Game writes:

    > On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:38:41 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Game writes:

    >>> Do away with some of that string and sealing wax, get yourself
    >>> an IMAP account and a half-decent client.

    >> Chris, do you have any experience using bridges which give Gmail
    >> an IMAP interface? If so, pointers welcome.

    > Gmail? You mean GoogleMail? Not an IMAP client is it?

    Gmail is the server. And no it doesn't provide IMAP. But there are,
    I believe, bridges which give IMAP access. At the moment I use pop to
    acces gmail from Gnus. But it doesnt matter. I just got a free fastmail
    IMPA account and hooked that up to IMAP.

    --
    A Domesticated Animal <--> Docile, as a Man Tamed it
    -- anagrama

  10. Re: Mutt & Getmail update

    On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 15:22:53 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > I just got a free fastmail IMPA account and hooked that up to
    > IMAP.

    I use FastMail - for a few bucks a year you get a lot of storage
    plus decent spam filtering.

    --
    Chris Game

    not tried it." -- Donald E. Knuth

  11. Re: Mutt & Getmail update

    Chris Game writes:

    > On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 15:22:53 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> I just got a free fastmail IMPA account and hooked that up to
    >> IMAP.

    > I use FastMail - for a few bucks a year you get a lot of storage
    > plus decent spam filtering.

    gmail gives you heaps and has great spam filtering too. for free. No
    Imap though. I don't see the appeal of IMAP. Using Gnus I would have to
    go through hoops for local copies. Possibly I am missing something, but
    using procmail, getmail and gnus gives me everything I need in a mail
    client. Combined with mailsync I can sync my machines over ssh in no
    time at all. Since gmail keeps all my mails I can access them from
    anywhere using a plain browser too.

    --
    To think contrary to one's era is heroism. But to speak against it is madness.
    -- Eugene Ionesco

  12. Re: Mutt & Getmail update

    On 2007-09-19, Hadron wrote:

    [...]

    > gmail gives you heaps and has great spam filtering too. for free. No
    > Imap though. I don't see the appeal of IMAP. Using Gnus I would have to
    > go through hoops for local copies. Possibly I am missing something, but
    > using procmail, getmail and gnus gives me everything I need in a mail
    > client.

    I am a little curious, is there a move away from Fetchmail to getmail?
    I have always used Fetchmail but there seems to be a lot more people
    talking about getmail these days. Are there any specific advantages or
    is it a Gnome / KDE sort of thing?

    Andrew

    --
    ὑπερθορὼν δὲ πύργον *μηστὴς λέων
    ἄδην ἔλειξεν αἵματος τυραννικοῦ.

  13. Re: Mutt & Getmail update

    andrew writes:

    > On 2007-09-19, Hadron wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> gmail gives you heaps and has great spam filtering too. for free. No
    >> Imap though. I don't see the appeal of IMAP. Using Gnus I would have to
    >> go through hoops for local copies. Possibly I am missing something, but
    >> using procmail, getmail and gnus gives me everything I need in a mail
    >> client.

    > I am a little curious, is there a move away from Fetchmail to getmail?

    Yes. I moved a few months ago.

    > I have always used Fetchmail but there seems to be a lot more people
    > talking about getmail these days. Are there any specific advantages or
    > is it a Gnome / KDE sort of thing?

    Apparently it's more reliable and secure. There are FAQs out there in
    google land. Here is the main reason:

    http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/f...#faq-about-why

    Here is my "getmails" script

    ,----
    | #!/bin/bash
    | cmd="getmail -d -q"
    | for file in ~/.getmail/*.rc; do
    | cmd="$cmd --rcfile $file "
    | done
    | $cmd
    `----

    and here is a simple rc for getting my googlemail and feeding it through
    procmail for storing the mail in the correct maildir:

    hadron.rc:

    ,----
    | [retriever]
    | type = SimplePOP3SSLRetriever
    | server = pop.gmail.com
    | username = hadronquark@gmail.com
    | port = 995
    | password = *********
    |
    | [destination]
    | type = MDA_external
    | path = /usr/bin/procmail
    `----

    And finally my crontab for getmails:

    ,----
    | 00-59/10 * * * * /home/hadron/bin/getmails
    `----

    I certainly never looked back.

  14. Re: Mutt & Getmail update

    Hadron wrote:
    > andrew writes:
    >> I have always used Fetchmail but there seems to be a lot more people
    >> talking about getmail these days. Are there any specific advantages or
    >> is it a Gnome / KDE sort of thing?
    >>

    > Apparently it's more reliable and secure. There are FAQs out there in
    > google land. Here is the main reason:
    >
    > http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/f...#faq-about-why

    I've used Fetchmail to pull and send hundreds of messages every day,
    from and to several e-mail addresses, for several years.

    I've never seen any of the things that writer complains about.

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  15. Re: Mutt & Getmail update

    On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 22:07:17 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Since gmail keeps all my mails I can access them from anywhere
    > using a plain browser too.

    I use Gmail (we have to call it GoogleMail in the UK) for archive
    purposes. It has great searching capability as you would expect, but
    it's not reliable enough to use as a single repository for one's
    email.

    --
    Chris Game

    "Keep things a simple as possible, but not simpler."
    -- Albert Einstein

  16. Re: Mutt & Getmail update

    Chris Game writes:

    > On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 22:07:17 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Since gmail keeps all my mails I can access them from anywhere
    >> using a plain browser too.

    > I use Gmail (we have to call it GoogleMail in the UK) for archive
    > purposes. It has great searching capability as you would expect, but
    > it's not reliable enough to use as a single repository for one's
    > email.

    Why isn't it reliable?

    --
    Cualquier situación, por mala que sea, siempre puede ser todav*a peor.

  17. Re: Mutt & Getmail update

    On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:34:57 +0100, Chris Game wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 22:07:17 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Since gmail keeps all my mails I can access them from anywhere
    >> using a plain browser too.

    > I use Gmail (we have to call it GoogleMail in the UK) for archive
    > purposes. It has great searching capability as you would expect, but
    > it's not reliable enough to use as a single repository for one's
    > email.

    Why not? I found it more reliable than my ISP's mail server, but that
    can't be hard! Apart from portability I can also interface with regular
    mail clients and use gmail transparently as if it were my own ISP.

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  18. Re: Mutt & Getmail update

    begin risky.vbs
    ,
    MCR writes:
    > On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:34:57 +0100, Chris Game wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 22:07:17 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Since gmail keeps all my mails I can access them from anywhere
    >>> using a plain browser too.

    >> I use Gmail (we have to call it GoogleMail in the UK) for archive
    >> purposes. It has great searching capability as you would expect,
    >> but it's not reliable enough to use as a single repository for
    >> one's email.

    > Why not? I found it more reliable than my ISP's mail server, but
    > that can't be hard! Apart from portability I can also interface
    > with regular mail clients and use gmail transparently as if it were
    > my own ISP.

    Another nice thing about gmail is you can access your email with your
    mobile phone if it is up to it.

  19. Re: Mutt & Getmail update

    On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:59:10 GMT, MCR wrote:

    >> I use Gmail (we have to call it GoogleMail in the UK) for archive
    >> purposes. It has great searching capability as you would expect,
    >> but it's not reliable enough to use as a single repository for
    >> one's email.
    >>

    > Why not?

    No support, other than the user forums which are full of tales of
    missing and corrupted posts. As it's still in beta the features can
    change without warning too.

    --
    Chris Game

    'Calm down -- it's only ones and zeros.'

  20. Re: Mutt & Getmail update

    On 2007-09-19, andrew intrigued me by typing:

    > I am a little curious, is there a move away from Fetchmail to getmail?
    > I have always used Fetchmail but there seems to be a lot more people
    > talking about getmail these days. Are there any specific advantages or
    > is it a Gnome / KDE sort of thing?
    >
    > Andrew

    I'm not sure Andrew. I, like Hadron, read that *Getmail* was secure and
    very ease to configure. It is extremely fast and I've yet to have a problem
    with it. Still, I'm sure you will find people that swears by *Fetchmail*,
    too. Anyway, take care.

    --
    Just me, D
    (Ubuntu User# 16887)