Dual Boot Saga - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Dual Boot Saga - Ubuntu ; I have moved along in my task and have come to a point I need some advice/direction. I have partitioned a 160Gb drive in 2 approximately equal partitions. On the first I have installed Windows XP. On the second, I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

  1. Dual Boot Saga

    I have moved along in my task and have come to a point I need some
    advice/direction.
    I have partitioned a 160Gb drive in 2 approximately equal partitions.
    On the first I have installed Windows XP.
    On the second, I have moved a partition from another HD.
    When I cold boot, I get XP and it runs.
    I used Super Grub to change the MBR or to install Grub on what I think
    is the Linux partition and no matter what I do, I cannot get Grub to run
    after a boot. In fact, when I change the MBR using SG, I cannot even
    boot XP.
    In the above, if I boot from SG, I can restore and then reboot the XP.
    I can also, using SG, manually boot the Linux partition at any time.
    When I boot Linux this way, there are a few pages that roll by before
    Linux boots so I suspect what is happening is all from the CD.
    I am attempting to dual boot both systems, that is my goal.
    When I use SG to install Grub, it says it has, but Linux still won't
    boot. The only way I can get Linux to boot is to select the manual boot
    (above).
    I have tried(with SG) to change MBR, add Grub, find Grub and nothing
    works but the manual selection (again as above).
    I suspect I am missing something very basic and I am very new to this.
    All the selections using SG are from the menus, I have not "typed"
    anything in, so they are all provided options.
    My logic tells me that both operating systems are there and intact
    because, one way or another I can boot to them and when I do, they are
    fully functional, its just not happening from boot, like I'd like it to.
    Once I restore the MBR and boot Windows, it is ok from then on.
    I am going to take a few days off and be away from this for a while and
    when I return, I will try some of the suggestions provided and report
    back once again.
    TIA
    Richard

    SG = Super Grub
    emptyess =MTS

  2. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:26:49 -0500, Me wrote:

    >I have moved along in my task and have come to a point I need some
    >advice/direction.
    >I have partitioned a 160Gb drive in 2 approximately equal partitions.
    >On the first I have installed Windows XP.
    >On the second, I have moved a partition from another HD.
    >When I cold boot, I get XP and it runs.
    >I used Super Grub to change the MBR or to install Grub on what I think
    >is the Linux partition and no matter what I do, I cannot get Grub to run
    >after a boot. In fact, when I change the MBR using SG, I cannot even
    >boot XP.
    >In the above, if I boot from SG, I can restore and then reboot the XP.
    >I can also, using SG, manually boot the Linux partition at any time.
    >When I boot Linux this way, there are a few pages that roll by before
    >Linux boots so I suspect what is happening is all from the CD.
    >I am attempting to dual boot both systems, that is my goal.
    >When I use SG to install Grub, it says it has, but Linux still won't
    >boot. The only way I can get Linux to boot is to select the manual boot
    >(above).
    >I have tried(with SG) to change MBR, add Grub, find Grub and nothing
    >works but the manual selection (again as above).
    >I suspect I am missing something very basic and I am very new to this.
    >All the selections using SG are from the menus, I have not "typed"
    >anything in, so they are all provided options.
    >My logic tells me that both operating systems are there and intact
    >because, one way or another I can boot to them and when I do, they are
    >fully functional, its just not happening from boot, like I'd like it to.
    >Once I restore the MBR and boot Windows, it is ok from then on.
    >I am going to take a few days off and be away from this for a while and
    >when I return, I will try some of the suggestions provided and report
    >back once again.
    >TIA
    >Richard
    >

    >SG = Super Grub
    >emptyess =MTS

    I am certainly not an authority on this, but did you install windoze before
    partitioning your drive? Ubuntu will do pretty much everything you need
    for dual boot if you start with a working windoze system. Go to -

    screencasts.ubunto.com

    there you will find a video installing_dual_boot in .ogg format
    that should answer most of your questions.

    It is also available here. If I remember right, this version runs on
    windoze -- same content -

    http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...93842637434537

    HTH Roy

  3. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Me wrote:
    > I have moved along in my task and have come to a point I need some
    > advice/direction.
    > I have partitioned a 160Gb drive in 2 approximately equal partitions.
    > On the first I have installed Windows XP.
    > On the second, I have moved a partition from another HD.
    > When I cold boot, I get XP and it runs.
    > I used Super Grub to change the MBR or to install Grub on what I think
    > is the Linux partition and no matter what I do, I cannot get Grub to run
    > after a boot. In fact, when I change the MBR using SG, I cannot even
    > boot XP.
    > In the above, if I boot from SG, I can restore and then reboot the XP.
    > I can also, using SG, manually boot the Linux partition at any time.
    > When I boot Linux this way, there are a few pages that roll by before
    > Linux boots so I suspect what is happening is all from the CD.
    > I am attempting to dual boot both systems, that is my goal.
    > When I use SG to install Grub, it says it has, but Linux still won't
    > boot. The only way I can get Linux to boot is to select the manual boot
    > (above).
    > I have tried(with SG) to change MBR, add Grub, find Grub and nothing
    > works but the manual selection (again as above).
    > I suspect I am missing something very basic and I am very new to this.
    > All the selections using SG are from the menus, I have not "typed"
    > anything in, so they are all provided options.
    > My logic tells me that both operating systems are there and intact
    > because, one way or another I can boot to them and when I do, they are
    > fully functional, its just not happening from boot, like I'd like it to.
    > Once I restore the MBR and boot Windows, it is ok from then on.
    > I am going to take a few days off and be away from this for a while and
    > when I return, I will try some of the suggestions provided and report
    > back once again.
    > TIA
    > Richard
    >

    > SG = Super Grub
    > emptyess =MTS

    This is a quick and simple fix.

    Assuming that Windows is on hda1 and your Ubuntu / (root) partition is
    hda2...

    Boot to the Live CD, and open a terminal.

    sudo grub

    grub> find /boot/grub/stage1

    Output should show

    (hd0,1)

    This shows that grub is installed on hda2. If you get a different
    output, note it.

    grub> root (hd0,1) <== or whatever you've noted from above

    grub> setup (hd0)

    grub> quit

    End the Live CD session. Reboot machine. The Grub boot option for Ubuntu
    should work; the option for Windows should as well, but if it doesn't,
    edit the Windows stanza in /boot/grub/menu.lst to look like this:

    title Windows
    root (hd0,0)
    savedefault
    chainloader +1

    Good luck. HTH.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  4. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Me writes:

    > I have moved along in my task and have come to a point I need some
    > advice/direction.
    > I have partitioned a 160Gb drive in 2 approximately equal partitions.
    > On the first I have installed Windows XP.
    > On the second, I have moved a partition from another HD.
    > When I cold boot, I get XP and it runs.
    > I used Super Grub to change the MBR or to install Grub on what I think
    > is the Linux partition and no matter what I do, I cannot get Grub to
    > run after a boot. In fact, when I change the MBR using SG, I cannot
    > even boot XP.
    > In the above, if I boot from SG, I can restore and then reboot the XP.
    > I can also, using SG, manually boot the Linux partition at any
    > time. When I boot Linux this way, there are a few pages that roll by
    > before Linux boots so I suspect what is happening is all from the CD.
    > I am attempting to dual boot both systems, that is my goal.
    > When I use SG to install Grub, it says it has, but Linux still won't
    > boot. The only way I can get Linux to boot is to select the manual
    > boot (above).
    > I have tried(with SG) to change MBR, add Grub, find Grub and nothing
    > works but the manual selection (again as above).
    > I suspect I am missing something very basic and I am very new to
    > this. All the selections using SG are from the menus, I have not
    > "typed" anything in, so they are all provided options.
    > My logic tells me that both operating systems are there and intact
    > because, one way or another I can boot to them and when I do, they are
    > fully functional, its just not happening from boot, like I'd like it
    > to.
    > Once I restore the MBR and boot Windows, it is ok from then on.
    > I am going to take a few days off and be away from this for a while
    > and when I return, I will try some of the suggestions provided and
    > report back once again.

    The reply from Wernst got me going again when I accidentally marked a
    Debian mount as "bootable" a few days ago. Thought I had lost my system
    for a while. But no, Grub to the rescue ....

    ,----
    | Don't forget that this method, as described, puts GRUB back on the MBR (master boot record) of the hard drive instead of in the root parititon. This is fine for most people, but not if you already have an alternative boot manager.
    |
    | In other words, if you use something like Boot Magic or System Commander, the commands you've just read will overwrite what you've got.
    |
    | If you've installed GRUB into the Root Partition instead of the MBR, the commands are a little different. Here's are the instructions that I have for my system:
    |
    | How to Restore the Grub Menu after a Re-Ghosting:
    |
    | 1. Boot from a Live CD, like Ubuntu Live, Knoppix, Mepis, or similar.
    |
    | 2. Open a Terminal. Go SuperUser (that is, type "su"). Enter root passwords as necessary.
    |
    | 3. Type "grub" which makes a GRUB prompt appear.
    |
    | 4. Type "find /boot/grub/stage1". You'll get a response like "(hd0)" or in my case "(hd0,3)". Use whatever your computer spits out for the following lines.
    |
    | 5. Type "root (hd0,3)".
    |
    | 6. Type "setup (hd0,3)". This is key. Other instructions say to use "(hd0)", and that's fine if you want to write GRUB to the MBR. If you want to write it to your linux root partition, then you want the number after the comma, such as "(hd0,3)".
    |
    | 7. Type "quit".
    |
    | 8. Restart the system. Remove the bootable CD.
    |
    | Hope this helps. Since I use Norton Ghost to make regular backups and restores (I do a lot of testing), I do this all the time...
    `----

  5. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Hadron wrote:
> [...]

    > | 1. Boot from a Live CD, like Ubuntu Live, Knoppix, Mepis, or similar.
    > |
    > | 2. Open a Terminal. Go SuperUser (that is, type "su"). Enter root passwords as necessary.
    > |
    > | 3. Type "grub" which makes a GRUB prompt appear.
    > |
    > | 4. Type "find /boot/grub/stage1". You'll get a response like "(hd0)" or in my case "(hd0,3)". Use whatever your computer spits out for the following lines.
    > |
    > | 5. Type "root (hd0,3)".
    > |
    > | 6. Type "setup (hd0,3)". This is key. Other instructions say to use "(hd0)", and that's fine if you want to write GRUB to the MBR. If you want to write it to your linux root partition, then you want the number after the comma, such as "(hd0,3)".
    > |
    > | 7. Type "quit".
    > |
    > | 8. Restart the system. Remove the bootable CD.
    > |
    > | Hope this helps. Since I use Norton Ghost to make regular backups and restores (I do a lot of testing), I do this all the time...

    Thanks to all who have responded to my dilemma. Before I actually do
    anything, this time, I'm going to get some clarification.
    What I want to do is be able to boot either XP or Linux at boot. I don't
    know if this means I want Grub on the MBR or in the Linux partition. (I
    suspect on MBR).
    The other thing I keep forgetting to ask is, When I get this
    operational, do I get a choice at boot? I remember many years ago having
    a dual boot system using OS2 and that's the way it worked and that is
    what I'm trying to accomplish. If I can do this I will continue. I kept
    forgetting to ask if it is possible to do this and to explain what I was
    trying to do.
    Thanks again for ALL the help.
    Richard

  6. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 13:50:48 -0500, Me wrote:

    Snipped

    > Thanks to all who have responded to my dilemma. Before I actually do
    > anything, this time, I'm going to get some clarification.
    > What I want to do is be able to boot either XP or Linux at boot. I don't
    > know if this means I want Grub on the MBR or in the Linux partition. (I
    > suspect on MBR).
    > The other thing I keep forgetting to ask is, When I get this
    > operational, do I get a choice at boot? I remember many years ago having
    > a dual boot system using OS2 and that's the way it worked and that is
    > what I'm trying to accomplish. If I can do this I will continue. I kept
    > forgetting to ask if it is possible to do this and to explain what I was
    > trying to do.
    > Thanks again for ALL the help.
    > Richard

    I can tell you with certainty when you have Grub installed it does give
    you a choice of OS to boot from on start. I haven't rebooted in weeks,
    but I think it says something like

    Ubuntu with kernel
    Ubuntu with older kernel
    Vista/Longhorn boot

    Obviously I have vista and your one will say XP, but you get the idea.
    BTW to all the critics out there, I got vista for free alright? :-P~

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  7. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Me wrote:
> [...]

    >> you want to write it to your linux root partition, then you want the
    >> number after the comma, such as "(hd0,3)".
    >> and restores (I do a lot of testing), I do this all the time...
    >> `----

    > Thanks to all who have responded to my dilemma. Before I actually do
    > anything, this time, I'm going to get some clarification.
    > What I want to do is be able to boot either XP or Linux at boot. I don't
    > know if this means I want Grub on the MBR or in the Linux partition. (I
    > suspect on MBR).
    > The other thing I keep forgetting to ask is, When I get this
    > operational, do I get a choice at boot? I remember many years ago having
    > a dual boot system using OS2 and that's the way it worked and that is
    > what I'm trying to accomplish. If I can do this I will continue. I kept
    > forgetting to ask if it is possible to do this and to explain what I was

    OK, I tried what Mark suggested and is similar to what Hadron says.
    I booted terminal through a Live CD and everything seemed to go without
    any errors.
    I then booted and got the in the screen (which is what I have been
    getting while trying this for the part week)

    booting Ubuntu kernel 2.6.20-16-386 (recovery mode)

    kernel to boot.>

    Root (hd0,0) Filesystem type unknown Partition type 0x7

    Kernel /bootvmlinuz-2.6.20-16-386
    Root=uud=617a700a-522e-445d-a855-d71442595eea ro single

    ERROR 17 Cannot mount selected partition.
    .................................................. .

    I used SG to get Windows restarted so I can talk to you here.

    Am I doing something wrong??

    Richard

  8. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:58:38 GMT, MCR wrote:

    >On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 13:50:48 -0500, Me wrote:
    >
    >Snipped
    >
    >> Thanks to all who have responded to my dilemma. Before I actually do
    >> anything, this time, I'm going to get some clarification.
    >> What I want to do is be able to boot either XP or Linux at boot. I don't
    >> know if this means I want Grub on the MBR or in the Linux partition. (I
    >> suspect on MBR).
    >> The other thing I keep forgetting to ask is, When I get this
    >> operational, do I get a choice at boot? I remember many years ago having
    >> a dual boot system using OS2 and that's the way it worked and that is
    >> what I'm trying to accomplish. If I can do this I will continue. I kept
    >> forgetting to ask if it is possible to do this and to explain what I was
    >> trying to do.
    >> Thanks again for ALL the help.
    >> Richard

    >I can tell you with certainty when you have Grub installed it does give
    >you a choice of OS to boot from on start. I haven't rebooted in weeks,
    >but I think it says something like
    >
    >Ubuntu with kernel
    >Ubuntu with older kernel
    >Vista/Longhorn boot
    >
    >Obviously I have vista and your one will say XP, but you get the idea.
    >BTW to all the critics out there, I got vista for free alright? :-P~

    At least you paid what it's worth.

  9. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Me wrote:

    > OK, I tried what Mark suggested and is similar to what Hadron says.
    > I booted terminal through a Live CD and everything seemed to go without
    > any errors.
    > I then booted and got the in the screen (which is what I have been
    > getting while trying this for the part week)
    >
    > booting Ubuntu kernel 2.6.20-16-386 (recovery mode)
    >
    > > kernel to boot.>
    >
    > Root (hd0,0) Filesystem type unknown Partition type 0x7
    >
    > Kernel /bootvmlinuz-2.6.20-16-386
    > Root=uud=617a700a-522e-445d-a855-d71442595eea ro single
    >
    > ERROR 17 Cannot mount selected partition.
    >
    > I used SG to get Windows restarted so I can talk to you here.
    >
    > Am I doing something wrong??

    Sounds like the menu.lst entry for Ubuntu is buggered up.

    Is the root partition for Ubuntu on hda2 -- i.e. the second partition on
    the drive?

    Anyway, boot the Live CD once again, open the file manager and drill
    down to /boot/grub/menu.lst and copy the contents to usb or something,
    then post that text file here.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  10. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Mark Warner wrote:
    > Me wrote:
    >>
    >> OK, I tried what Mark suggested and is similar to what Hadron says.
    >> I booted terminal through a Live CD and everything seemed to go
    >> without any errors.
    >> I then booted and got the in the screen (which is what I have been
    >> getting while trying this for the part week)
    >>
    >> booting Ubuntu kernel 2.6.20-16-386 (recovery mode)

    >> Root (hd0,0) Filesystem type unknown Partition type 0x7
    >>
    >> Kernel /bootvmlinuz-2.6.20-16-386
    >> Root=uud=617a700a-522e-445d-a855-d71442595eea ro single
    >>
    >> ERROR 17 Cannot mount selected partition.
    >>
    >> I used SG to get Windows restarted so I can talk to you here.
    >>
    >> Am I doing something wrong??

    > Sounds like the menu.lst entry for Ubuntu is buggered up.
    >
    > Is the root partition for Ubuntu on hda2 -- i.e. the second partition on
    > the drive?
    >
    > Anyway, boot the Live CD once again, open the file manager and drill
    > down to /boot/grub/menu.lst and copy the contents to usb or something,
    > then post that text file here.

    Linux is on the second partition of the drive. I don't know what you
    mean about the root partition for Ubuntu. I am assuming, maybe
    incorrectly, that it is with Ubuntu.
    When I queried it, with "find boot/grub/stage 1", and I got back
    (hd0,1), I assumed I was asking where grub was.
    I will do copy the file and report back.
    THanks again,
    Richard

  11. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Ok, I have my laptop on this news group and the desktop with live cd
    next to it.
    Here is my menu.1st file

    .................................................. ....................
    menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
    # grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),
    # grub-md5-crypt, /usr/share/doc/grub
    # and /usr/share/doc/grub-doc/.

    ## default num
    # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from
    0, and
    # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
    #
    # You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default
    entry
    # is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
    # WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not change this entry to 'saved'
    or your
    # array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
    default 0

    ## timeout sec
    # Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the
    default entry
    # (normally the first entry defined).
    timeout 3

    ## hiddenmenu
    # Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
    hiddenmenu

    # Pretty colours
    #color cyan/blue white/blue

    ## password ['--md5'] passwd
    # If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all interactive
    editing
    # control (menu entry editor and command-line) and entries protected by the
    # command 'lock'
    # e.g. password topsecret
    # password --md5 $1$gLhU0/$aW78kHK1QfV3P2b2znUoe/
    # password topsecret

    #
    # examples
    #
    # title Windows 95/98/NT/2000
    # root (hd0,0)
    # makeactive
    # chainloader +1
    #
    # title Linux
    # root (hd0,1)
    # kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro
    #

    #
    # Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

    ### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
    ## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
    ## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

    ## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

    ## ## Start Default Options ##
    ## default kernel options
    ## default kernel options for automagic boot options
    ## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
    ## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
    ## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
    ## kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
    ## kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
    # kopt=root=UUID=617a700a-522e-445d-a855-d71442595eea ro

    ## Setup crashdump menu entries
    ## e.g. crashdump=1
    # crashdump=0

    ## default grub root device
    ## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
    # groot=(hd0,0)

    ## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options
    ## e.g. alternative=true
    ## alternative=false
    # alternative=true

    ## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options
    ## e.g. lockalternative=true
    ## lockalternative=false
    # lockalternative=false

    ## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
    ## alternatives
    ## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
    # defoptions=quiet splash

    ## should update-grub lock old automagic boot options
    ## e.g. lockold=false
    ## lockold=true
    # lockold=false

    ## Xen hypervisor options to use with the default Xen boot option
    # xenhopt=

    ## Xen Linux kernel options to use with the default Xen boot option
    # xenkopt=console=tty0

    ## altoption boot targets option
    ## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
    ## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
    ## altoptions=(recovery) single
    # altoptions=(recovery mode) single

    ## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
    ## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
    ## alternative kernel options
    ## e.g. howmany=all
    ## howmany=7
    # howmany=all

    ## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
    ## e.g. memtest86=true
    ## memtest86=false
    # memtest86=true

    ## should update-grub adjust the value of the default booted system
    ## can be true or false
    # updatedefaultentry=false

    ## ## End Default Options ##

    title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-386
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-386
    root=UUID=617a700a-522e-445d-a855-d71442595eea ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-386
    savedefault

    title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-386 (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-386
    root=UUID=617a700a-522e-445d-a855-d71442595eea ro single
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-386

    title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-386
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-386
    root=UUID=617a700a-522e-445d-a855-d71442595eea ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-386
    savedefault

    title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-386 (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-386
    root=UUID=617a700a-522e-445d-a855-d71442595eea ro single
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-386

    title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-11-386
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-11-386
    root=UUID=617a700a-522e-445d-a855-d71442595eea ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-11-386
    savedefault

    title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-11-386 (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-11-386
    root=UUID=617a700a-522e-445d-a855-d71442595eea ro single
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-11-386

    title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-28-386
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-28-386
    root=UUID=617a700a-522e-445d-a855-d71442595eea ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-28-386
    savedefault

    title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-28-386 (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-28-386
    root=UUID=617a700a-522e-445d-a855-d71442595eea ro single
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-28-386

    title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-26-386
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-386
    root=UUID=617a700a-522e-445d-a855-d71442595eea ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-26-386
    savedefault

    title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-26-386 (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-386
    root=UUID=617a700a-522e-445d-a855-d71442595eea ro single
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-26-386

    title Ubuntu, memtest86+
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

    ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

    .................................................. ....................
    RICHARD

    Mark Warner wrote:

    > Anyway, boot the Live CD once again, open the file manager and drill
    > down to /boot/grub/menu.lst and copy the contents to usb or something,
    > then post that text file here.

  12. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Me wrote:

    > Linux is on the second partition of the drive. I don't know what you
    > mean about the root partition for Ubuntu. I am assuming, maybe
    > incorrectly, that it is with Ubuntu.
    > When I queried it, with "find boot/grub/stage 1", and I got back
    > (hd0,1), I assumed I was asking where grub was.

    You were, and it reported back correctly. But it appears that the entry
    for the Ubuntu partition is improperly listed in your grub's menu.lst
    file. You said this was a copy of a previous installation -- if the
    would explain it. From what you posted, I think grub thinks the kernel
    is on hda1 (hd0,0) instead of hda2 (hd0,1). If you post the menu.lst
    file, I can confirm that, and should be able to show you how to edit it
    so it will boot.

    > I will do copy the file and report back.

    Hang in there. You'll get it. This is what's called learning the "Linux
    way" -- break it and fix it. You'll end up with a much better
    understanding of how all this stuff works.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  13. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Me wrote:

    > ## ## End Default Options ##
    >
    > title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-386
    > root (hd0,0)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-386
    > root=UUID=617a700a-522e-445d-a855-d71442595eea ro quiet splash
    > initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-386
    > savedefault

    [snipped]

    > ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

    Okay, look in the above stanza. Look at the line

    root (hd0,0)

    That's telling grub that the kernel is on the first partition, not the
    second. (I bet that's the way it was in the previous installation.)

    We need to change that in EVERY stanza in the menu.lst file.

    With the Live CD you'll need to go root (sudo) and change every (hd0,0)
    to (hd0,1).

    Save the changes and end the Live session.

    You should be able to boot properly now.

    Good luck.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  14. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:14:41 +0000, Roy wrote:

    Snipped

    >>Obviously I have vista and your one will say XP, but you get the idea.
    >>BTW to all the critics out there, I got vista for free alright? :-P~

    > At least you paid what it's worth.

    I think you are overvaluing it! :-)

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  15. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Mark Warner wrote:
    > Me wrote:
    >

    >> ## ## End Default Options ##
    >>
    >> title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-386
    >> root (hd0,0)
    >> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-386
    >> root=UUID=617a700a-522e-445d-a855-d71442595eea ro quiet splash
    >> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-386
    >> savedefault

    > [snipped]
    >
    >> ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

    > Okay, look in the above stanza. Look at the line
    >
    > root (hd0,0)
    >
    > That's telling grub that the kernel is on the first partition, not the
    > second. (I bet that's the way it was in the previous installation.)
    >
    > We need to change that in EVERY stanza in the menu.lst file.
    >
    > With the Live CD you'll need to go root (sudo) and change every (hd0,0)
    > to (hd0,1).
    >
    > Save the changes and end the Live session.
    >
    > You should be able to boot properly now.
    >
    > Good luck.

    One last thing. After the Memtest listing, you'll want to add the following

    title Windows
    root (hd0,0)
    savedefault
    chainloader +1

    That will give you a Windows boot option on bootup.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  16. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    I have live CD running on the desktop and mounted the partition with it
    so I can open grub and see the file. Can I edit it and save it with a
    text editor? Or do I have to do it from terminal?
    Richard

    Mark Warner wrote:

    > Mark Warner wrote:
    >
    >> Me wrote:
    >>

    >>> ## ## End Default Options ##
    >>>
    >>> title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-386
    >>> root (hd0,0)
    >>> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-386
    >>> root=UUID=617a700a-522e-445d-a855-d71442595eea ro quiet splash
    >>> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-386
    >>> savedefault

    >> [snipped]
    >>
    >>> ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

    >> Okay, look in the above stanza. Look at the line
    >>
    >> root (hd0,0)
    >>
    >> That's telling grub that the kernel is on the first partition, not the
    >> second. (I bet that's the way it was in the previous installation.)
    >>
    >> We need to change that in EVERY stanza in the menu.lst file.
    >>
    >> With the Live CD you'll need to go root (sudo) and change every
    >> (hd0,0) to (hd0,1).
    >>
    >> Save the changes and end the Live session.
    >>
    >> You should be able to boot properly now.
    >>
    >> Good luck.
    >>

    > One last thing. After the Memtest listing, you'll want to add the following
    >
    > title Windows
    > root (hd0,0)
    > savedefault
    > chainloader +1
    >

    > That will give you a Windows boot option on bootup.

  17. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Your reference to the location of the partition I copied is correct.
    I changed all the references to (0,1) and placed the reference to
    Windows at the end of the file after the last memtest.
    I used a text editor and saved the file. I rebooted and Windows opened.
    I had no option. This is different from what I had previously. Before,
    after changing anything, I had the system hang and I had to use SG to
    open either OS first.
    I suspect there is something yet to change. I assume I need to have Grub
    load first so the option can be selected. That doesn't seem to be happening.
    Richard

    Mark Warner wrote:

    > Mark Warner wrote:
    >
    >> Me wrote:
    >>

    >>> ## ## End Default Options ##
    >>>
    >>> title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-386
    >>> root (hd0,0)
    >>> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-386
    >>> root=UUID=617a700a-522e-445d-a855-d71442595eea ro quiet splash
    >>> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-386
    >>> savedefault

    >> [snipped]
    >>
    >>> ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

    >> Okay, look in the above stanza. Look at the line
    >>
    >> root (hd0,0)
    >>
    >> That's telling grub that the kernel is on the first partition, not the
    >> second. (I bet that's the way it was in the previous installation.)
    >>
    >> We need to change that in EVERY stanza in the menu.lst file.
    >>
    >> With the Live CD you'll need to go root (sudo) and change every
    >> (hd0,0) to (hd0,1).
    >>
    >> Save the changes and end the Live session.
    >>
    >> You should be able to boot properly now.
    >>
    >> Good luck.
    >>

    > One last thing. After the Memtest listing, you'll want to add the following
    >
    > title Windows
    > root (hd0,0)
    > savedefault
    > chainloader +1
    >

    > That will give you a Windows boot option on bootup.

  18. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Me wrote:
    > Your reference to the location of the partition I copied is correct.
    > I changed all the references to (0,1) and placed the reference to
    > Windows at the end of the file after the last memtest.
    > I used a text editor and saved the file. I rebooted and Windows opened.
    > I had no option. This is different from what I had previously. Before,
    > after changing anything, I had the system hang and I had to use SG to
    > open either OS first.
    > I suspect there is something yet to change. I assume I need to have Grub
    > load first so the option can be selected. That doesn't seem to be
    > happening.

    Odd. But that's okay. I think we're almost there.

    Okay, now go back and do the Live CD grub stuff that I posted at the
    beginning of this thread. By all rights, that will do the trick.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  19. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    I went back in and checked the menu.1st file and it did not change. I
    used a text editor and maybe I need to do it from a command line?
    If so, what commands do I use to open the file and to save it once I am
    done?
    Richard

    Mark Warner wrote:

    > Me wrote:
    >
    >> Your reference to the location of the partition I copied is correct.
    >> I changed all the references to (0,1) and placed the reference to
    >> Windows at the end of the file after the last memtest.
    >> I used a text editor and saved the file. I rebooted and Windows
    >> opened. I had no option. This is different from what I had previously.
    >> Before, after changing anything, I had the system hang and I had to
    >> use SG to open either OS first.
    >> I suspect there is something yet to change. I assume I need to have
    >> Grub load first so the option can be selected. That doesn't seem to be
    >> happening.

    > Odd. But that's okay. I think we're almost there.
    >
    > Okay, now go back and do the Live CD grub stuff that I posted at the
    > beginning of this thread. By all rights, that will do the trick.

  20. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    I have been going into the drive directories when I am in Live CD and it
    is from there that I have been able to read the menu.1st file. I went in
    just now, the same way and see there is a menu.1st~ file as well. Using
    this method, I cannot make any changes to the file, nor can I erase the
    ~ version :-(
    I very much appreciate the time and effort you are spending with me
    figuring this out. I am learning a lot and trying to document as much as
    I can so if I ever do anything similar I will know better (don't).
    Thanks,
    Richard