Dual Boot Saga - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Dual Boot Saga - Ubuntu ; Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: > Moog writes: > >> Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: >>> "John F. Morse" writes: >>> >>>> Tattoo Vampire wrote: >>>>> Hadron wrote: >>>>> >>>>> >>>>>> Do you know where google is? >>>>>> >>>>> >>>>> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 59 of 59

  1. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog writes:
    >
    >> Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Tattoo Vampire is another COLA moron. He has completely missed the fact
    >>> that I gave a link to the correct way to fix the problem earlier. In
    >>> addition, I must admit to be a bit incredulous at the fact that the OP
    >>> is this far into fiddling with Grub but appears to have no idea what it
    >>> does.

    >> Very harsh Hadron.

    > I am not being harsh. I am being honest. I find it hard to believe that
    > someone can be editing grub files but not know what Grub is or does.

    No. You are being harsh. IF he has a problem with Grub, and needs to
    fix it, it doesn't matter whether he knows what it does or not. He
    certainly does now.....

    >> We all start somewhere and the willingness to fiddle from the OP means
    >> a lot more to me than a bloke who just says "F*&!k Ubuntu, I'm off back to
    >> b*st$£d windows".

    > If you recall, I admonished you for something similar recently.

    You admonished me for having a go at a blatant troll. Hey. Whatever.

    > I do give nOObs help and rarely put people down for being a nOOb.

    Indeed. ON this I cannot argue. What changed today though?

    > In this
    > case I merely pointed out that its not wise to be tinkering with
    > something so important if you haven't read up on it first. It is no
    > surprise his system is hosed, that is all.

    He needed to tinker with it to get a dual boot system operating in the
    way he wanted it to. He was given clear instructions. He didn't quite
    understand them. That's not a crime.

    > God knows I have had enough
    > problems too - in fact I had to follow the advice I gave earlier in the
    > thread only last week when I foolishly marked a partition as "bootable"
    > in the Debian installer by mistake. As a result, Grub was put there and
    > not in the MBA and I couldnt start my system.

    Bloody noob. ;-)

    >> The OP will undoubtedly have learned a great deal. Probably more than
    >> a blind google search would ever give him.

    > My comment was only with regard to "What grub does". Not how to do it. I
    > and another poster provided that information earlier in the thread.

    He fell down by using menu.1st instead of menu.lst. I've done exactly
    the same thing in the past.

    >> I actually admire his tenacity and eagerness.

    > So do I. No two ways about it.

    Coolio.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  2. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Moog writes:

    > He needed to tinker with it to get a dual boot system operating in the
    > way he wanted it to. He was given clear instructions. He didn't quite
    > understand them. That's not a crime.

    No. But asking what "grub does" 4 posts in is. He wasn't sure if it
    would even give a dual boot option. That was my point. In other words he
    was editing critical files without even checking if he wanted to be
    doing that. End of the day, all I sais was (to paraphrase) "it makes
    sense to google up the subject matter before you start editing /
    altering system critical files".

  3. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog writes:
    >

    >> He needed to tinker with it to get a dual boot system operating in the
    >> way he wanted it to. He was given clear instructions. He didn't quite
    >> understand them. That's not a crime.

    > No. But asking what "grub does" 4 posts in is. He wasn't sure if it
    > would even give a dual boot option. That was my point. In other words he
    > was editing critical files without even checking if he wanted to be
    > doing that. End of the day, all I sais was (to paraphrase) "it makes
    > sense to google up the subject matter before you start editing /
    > altering system critical files".

    I don't wish to argue with you hadron. However, I still think you were
    being Harsh.

    The OP was simply being honest in his quest for assistance.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  4. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    It was on, or about, Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:02:18 +0000, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Moog wrote:

    > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > You admonished me for having a go at a blatant troll. Hey. Whatever.

    Hardly surprising as he always sides with the trolls, because he admitted
    to being one himself:
    Hadron
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:30:46
    "Of course I troll sometimes. I never denied it."

  5. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Moog writes:

    > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog writes:
    >>

    >>> He needed to tinker with it to get a dual boot system operating in the
    >>> way he wanted it to. He was given clear instructions. He didn't quite
    >>> understand them. That's not a crime.

    >> No. But asking what "grub does" 4 posts in is. He wasn't sure if it
    >> would even give a dual boot option. That was my point. In other words he
    >> was editing critical files without even checking if he wanted to be
    >> doing that. End of the day, all I sais was (to paraphrase) "it makes
    >> sense to google up the subject matter before you start editing /
    >> altering system critical files".

    > I don't wish to argue with you hadron. However, I still think you were
    > being Harsh.
    >
    > The OP was simply being honest in his quest for assistance.

    OK, we'll agree to disagree. I think he should check that what he is
    doing is what he really wants to do before doing it. Not knowing if Grub
    will even give him dual boot AFTER messing with it is madness.

    --
    - Inutile resistere! - ringhio' la guardia.
    -- Douglas Adams, "Guida Galattica per gli Autostoppisti"

  6. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog writes:
    >
    >> Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> No. But asking what "grub does" 4 posts in is. He wasn't sure if it
    >>> would even give a dual boot option. That was my point. In other words he
    >>> was editing critical files without even checking if he wanted to be
    >>> doing that. End of the day, all I sais was (to paraphrase) "it makes
    >>> sense to google up the subject matter before you start editing /
    >>> altering system critical files".

    >> I don't wish to argue with you hadron. However, I still think you were
    >> being Harsh.
    >>
    >> The OP was simply being honest in his quest for assistance.

    > OK, we'll agree to disagree. I think he should check that what he is
    > doing is what he really wants to do before doing it. Not knowing if Grub
    > will even give him dual boot AFTER messing with it is madness.

    Is he wrong to trust? Possibly. But I wouldn't have the understanding
    of my system now if I hadn't trusted some tips given by certain
    posters.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  7. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Moog writes:

    > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog writes:
    >>
    >>> Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> I don't wish to argue with you hadron. However, I still think you were
    >>> being Harsh.
    >>>
    >>> The OP was simply being honest in his quest for assistance.

    >> OK, we'll agree to disagree. I think he should check that what he is
    >> doing is what he really wants to do before doing it. Not knowing if Grub
    >> will even give him dual boot AFTER messing with it is madness.

    > Is he wrong to trust? Possibly. But I wouldn't have the understanding
    > of my system now if I hadn't trusted some tips given by certain
    > posters.

    I still don't think you quite understand what I am saying. Its not that
    he shouldn't trust anyone. It's the fact that after he has done lots of
    things he poses the quesstion "*does* grub give dual boot" which
    indicates he didn't even know if it was Grub he needed to provide a dual
    boot option. This is my only point and why I suggested that google was a
    click away. A help group shouldn't need to state what Grub is. We can
    help configure it sure.

    --
    "Natale non e' Natale senza l'alberello sul terminale."
    -- venta@i2ack, sublink.sources.unix, Natale '89

  8. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > This is not an advocacy group.
    >
    > This is a "help" group, and Google is a great place to find help.

    Then this newsgroup's existence is meaningless, since Google is a great
    place to find Ubuntu help.

    Let's just do away with the group, then.

  9. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Hadron wrote:

    > Tattoo Vampire is another COLA moron.

    Fine words from a COLA troll.

  10. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Moog writes:
    >
    > > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > >> OK, we'll agree to disagree. I think he should check that what he
    > >> is doing is what he really wants to do before doing it. Not
    > >> knowing if Grub will even give him dual boot AFTER messing with it
    > >> is madness.

    > > Is he wrong to trust? Possibly. But I wouldn't have the
    > > understanding of my system now if I hadn't trusted some tips given
    > > by certain posters.

    > I still don't think you quite understand what I am saying. Its not
    > that he shouldn't trust anyone. It's the fact that after he has done
    > lots of things he poses the quesstion "*does* grub give dual boot"
    > which indicates he didn't even know if it was Grub he needed to
    > provide a dual boot option. This is my only point and why I suggested
    > that google was a click away. A help group shouldn't need to state
    > what Grub is. We can help configure it sure.

    How exactly would someone new to ubuntu know that Grub is what gives
    botting options? And why would he need to go to google when he was
    getting very useful advice of some very helpful people?

    I still think you were being harsh.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  11. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Moog writes:

    > "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> Moog writes:
    >>
    >> > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> > Is he wrong to trust? Possibly. But I wouldn't have the
    >> > understanding of my system now if I hadn't trusted some tips given
    >> > by certain posters.

    >> I still don't think you quite understand what I am saying. Its not
    >> that he shouldn't trust anyone. It's the fact that after he has done
    >> lots of things he poses the quesstion "*does* grub give dual boot"
    >> which indicates he didn't even know if it was Grub he needed to
    >> provide a dual boot option. This is my only point and why I suggested
    >> that google was a click away. A help group shouldn't need to state
    >> what Grub is. We can help configure it sure.

    > How exactly would someone new to ubuntu know that Grub is what gives
    > botting options? And why would he need to go to google when he was
    > getting very useful advice of some very helpful people?
    >
    > I still think you were being harsh.

    OK, lets agree I was harsh. But you still appear not follow what I am
    saying. Possibly I am not making myself clear.

    You say

    > How exactly would someone new to ubuntu know that Grub is what gives
    > botting options?

    Yet, if that were not the case, why would he be modifying grub anyway?

    But he himself admitted he did not know if grub would be able to give
    dual boot. This is what google is for. So IF he did not know that Grub
    was responsible for providing a dual boot, then why was he doing asking
    for advice on grub and making potentially system crippling changes?

    e.g

    I could say "my nvidia card does not work". I could then get lots of
    good advice. But then, later on I say "oh, but isn't NVidia the thing
    that make the sounds?" - and I would look pretty stupid. So the order of
    things is:

    find out what it one wants
    ask how to do it

    Not guess what it is, change things and then ask if its actually the
    component one needs to tangle with.

    --
    Es absurdo que un pueblo cifre sus esperanzas de redención y ventura en
    formas de gobierno que desconoce.

  12. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> <...>
    >> How exactly would someone new to ubuntu know that Grub is what gives
    >> botting options? And why would he need to go to google when he was
    >> getting very useful advice of some very helpful people?
    >>
    >> I still think you were being harsh.

    > OK, lets agree I was harsh. But you still appear not follow what I am
    > saying. Possibly I am not making myself clear.

    Cool. And I do know *exactly* what you're saying.

    > You say
    >
    >> How exactly would someone new to ubuntu know that Grub is what gives
    >> botting options?

    > Yet, if that were not the case, why would he be modifying grub anyway?

    He asked a question. He obviously had an inclination, but wanted it
    confirming. Nothing too seriously amiss with that is there?

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  13. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >

    >> This is not an advocacy group.
    >>
    >> This is a "help" group, and Google is a great place to find help.
    >>

    > Then this newsgroup's existence is meaningless, since Google is a great
    > place to find Ubuntu help.
    >
    > Let's just do away with the group, then.

    Why do you think this group is meaningless? Do you believe help can come
    from only one source (Google)?

    If that were true, then maybe we should do away with man pages, HOWTOs,
    Wikipedia, and each other.

    What is meaningless is advocacy. What might be the best for one person
    does not mean it is the best for another.

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  14. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Moog writes:

    > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >>> <...>
    >>> How exactly would someone new to ubuntu know that Grub is what gives
    >>> botting options? And why would he need to go to google when he was
    >>> getting very useful advice of some very helpful people?
    >>>
    >>> I still think you were being harsh.

    >> OK, lets agree I was harsh. But you still appear not follow what I am
    >> saying. Possibly I am not making myself clear.

    > Cool. And I do know *exactly* what you're saying.

    No, really you do not.

    >> You say
    >>
    >>> How exactly would someone new to ubuntu know that Grub is what gives
    >>> botting options?

    >> Yet, if that were not the case, why would he be modifying grub anyway?

    > He asked a question. He obviously had an inclination, but wanted it
    > confirming. Nothing too seriously amiss with that is there?

    Ye gods. I give up. No. One more time :-; The FACT that he asked the
    question at the time he did means that everything previous was
    potentially unnecessary and potentially dangerous. I will kill this
    thread now, not because of arguing with you, but otherwise I'll get into
    that "last word is a must" mood ...

    --
    To think contrary to one's era is heroism. But to speak against it is madness.
    -- Eugene Ionesco

  15. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > Why do you think this group is meaningless? Do you believe help can come
    > from only one source (Google)?

    Sarcasm for Hadron, my friend.

  16. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Tattoo Vampire writes:

    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> Why do you think this group is meaningless? Do you believe help can come
    >> from only one source (Google)?

    > Sarcasm for Hadron, my friend.

    Misplaced at that. Why are you here? You don't appear to be "helping"
    anyone.

    --
    La generalización de su objeto es la esencia misma de todas las
    ciencias.

  17. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Hadron wrote:

    > Misplaced at that. Why are you here? You don't appear to be "helping"
    > anyone.

    I'm taking a break from COLA and the PCLOS forum. Problem?

  18. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    "Hadron" illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > > Cool. And I do know *exactly* what you're saying.

    > No, really you do not.

    I most certainly do.

    But that's enough of this petty bickering.

    This whole thread reminds me of the Monty Python Sketch...
    "The Argument Clinic"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM

    Is this the 5 minute argument or the full half hour?

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  19. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Tattoo Vampire writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Misplaced at that. Why are you here? You don't appear to be "helping"
    >> anyone.

    > I'm taking a break from COLA and the PCLOS forum. Problem?

    Not at all. Always nice to see familiar faces....

    --
    Do not fold, spindle or mutilate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3