Dual Boot Saga - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Dual Boot Saga - Ubuntu ; You need to do it as root. Try this from the terminal (in the Live CD): sudo gedit /media/hda2/boot/grub/menu.lst At least I think that will get you there. Save the changes. Me wrote: > I went back in and checked ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 59

  1. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  2. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Nope, cannot see the file. I am guessing the only spaces are after sudo
    and gedit?
    Richard

    Mark Warner wrote:

    > You need to do it as root.
    >
    > Try this from the terminal (in the Live CD):
    >
    > sudo gedit /media/hda2/boot/grub/menu.lst
    >
    > At least I think that will get you there.
    >
    > Save the changes.
    >

    > Me wrote:
    >
    >> I went back in and checked the menu.1st file and it did not change. I
    >> used a text editor and maybe I need to do it from a command line?
    >> If so, what commands do I use to open the file and to save it once I
    >> am done?
    >> Richard
    >>
    >> Mark Warner wrote:

    >>> Odd. But that's okay. I think we're almost there.
    >>>
    >>> Okay, now go back and do the Live CD grub stuff that I posted at the
    >>> beginning of this thread. By all rights, that will do the trick.

  3. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    I went to terminal and tried the cd command and the string you gave me
    and I cannot get past "media" directory. If I use cd /media, I get
    there. If I use cd /media/hda2. I fail. I tried hda, hda1, hda0 all with
    no luck.
    Hope this may be a clue??
    Richard

    Mark Warner wrote:

    > You need to do it as root.
    >
    > Try this from the terminal (in the Live CD):
    >
    > sudo gedit /media/hda2/boot/grub/menu.lst
    >
    > At least I think that will get you there.
    >
    > Save the changes.
    >

    > Me wrote:
    >
    >> I went back in and checked the menu.1st file and it did not change. I
    >> used a text editor and maybe I need to do it from a command line?
    >> If so, what commands do I use to open the file and to save it once I
    >> am done?
    >> Richard
    >>
    >> Mark Warner wrote:

    >>> Odd. But that's okay. I think we're almost there.
    >>>
    >>> Okay, now go back and do the Live CD grub stuff that I posted at the
    >>> beginning of this thread. By all rights, that will do the trick.

  4. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Me wrote:
    > I went to terminal and tried the cd command and the string you gave me
    > and I cannot get past "media" directory. If I use cd /media, I get
    > there. If I use cd /media/hda2. I fail. I tried hda, hda1, hda0 all with
    > no luck.
    > Hope this may be a clue??

    Okay, I booted to the Live CD myself, and now I know what you need to
    do. (I'd forgotten what a PITA Gnome/Nautilus was. I'm a KDE man myself.)

    Boot to the Live CD, and open a terminal.

    # make a mount point

    sudo mkdir /media/hda2

    # mount the partition to that mount point

    sudo mount /dev/hda2 /media/hda2

    # open the menu.list file with Gedit

    sudo gedit /media/hda2/boot/grub/menu.lst

    This should open up the menu.lst file in Gedit as ROOT. Change all the
    instances of (hd0,0) to (hd0,1). Save the file, then end the Live CD
    session and reboot.

    Cross your fingers.

    If that doesn't work, go back and do the Live CD grub stuff I posted
    back at the beginning.

    And if /that/ doesn't work, we'll need to go back into the menu.lst file
    again (the exact same was as described above) and clean out the UUID
    nonsense. But let's not worry about that right now.

    Hang in there. I didn't do you any favors by not being more specific,
    and was posting from memory. This time we should be able to get this
    whipped.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  5. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    I tried and got a bit farther, I think.
    Here is the copy of my terminal experience

    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkdir /media/hda2
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/hda2 /media/hda2
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo gedit /media/hda2/boot/grub/menu.1st

    (the file didn't open here so I tried to see how far I could go)

    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd media
    bash: cd: media: No such file or directory
    (WRONG COMMAND my fault)
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo gedit /media/hda2/boot/grub/menu.1st
    (TRIED INITIAL COMMAND AGAIN)
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkdir /media/hda2
    (SO I TRIED TO CREATE THE DIRECTORY AGAIN TO SEE IF IT EXISTED OR NOT)
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/media/hda2': File exists
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd /media/hda2
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/hda2$ cd /boot
    (I WENT BACK TO SEE IF I COULD GET TO THE FILE DIRECTORY AT A TIME)
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/boot$ cd grub
    bash: cd: grub: No such file or directory

    Mark Warner wrote:

    > Me wrote:
    >
    >> I went to terminal and tried the cd command and the string you gave me
    >> and I cannot get past "media" directory. If I use cd /media, I get
    >> there. If I use cd /media/hda2. I fail. I tried hda, hda1, hda0 all
    >> with no luck.
    >> Hope this may be a clue??

    > Okay, I booted to the Live CD myself, and now I know what you need to
    > do. (I'd forgotten what a PITA Gnome/Nautilus was. I'm a KDE man myself.)
    >
    > Boot to the Live CD, and open a terminal.
    >
    > # make a mount point
    >
    > sudo mkdir /media/hda2
    >
    > # mount the partition to that mount point
    >
    > sudo mount /dev/hda2 /media/hda2
    >
    > # open the menu.list file with Gedit
    >
    > sudo gedit /media/hda2/boot/grub/menu.lst
    >
    > This should open up the menu.lst file in Gedit as ROOT. Change all the
    > instances of (hd0,0) to (hd0,1). Save the file, then end the Live CD
    > session and reboot.
    >
    > Cross your fingers.
    >
    > If that doesn't work, go back and do the Live CD grub stuff I posted
    > back at the beginning.
    >
    > And if /that/ doesn't work, we'll need to go back into the menu.lst file
    > again (the exact same was as described above) and clean out the UUID
    > nonsense. But let's not worry about that right now.
    >
    > Hang in there. I didn't do you any favors by not being more specific,
    > and was posting from memory. This time we should be able to get this
    > whipped.

  6. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Me wrote:

    > ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo gedit /media/hda2/boot/grub/menu.1st

    It's NOT ".1st", it's ".lst" (starts with the letter L, not the number one).

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  7. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    I went back and tried drilling to the file and I WAS able to get to grub
    this time! I must have done something wrong the last time. I still
    cannot open the file in terminal with gedit. Is there another editor I
    can try?
    Richard

    Me wrote:

    > I tried and got a bit farther, I think.
    > Here is the copy of my terminal experience

    > ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkdir /media/hda2
    > ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/hda2 /media/hda2
    > ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo gedit /media/hda2/boot/grub/menu.1st
    >
    > (the file didn't open here so I tried to see how far I could go)
    >
    > ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd media
    > bash: cd: media: No such file or directory
    > (WRONG COMMAND my fault)
    > ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo gedit /media/hda2/boot/grub/menu.1st
    > (TRIED INITIAL COMMAND AGAIN)
    > ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkdir /media/hda2
    > (SO I TRIED TO CREATE THE DIRECTORY AGAIN TO SEE IF IT EXISTED OR NOT)
    > mkdir: cannot create directory `/media/hda2': File exists
    > ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd /media/hda2
    > ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/hda2$ cd /boot
    > (I WENT BACK TO SEE IF I COULD GET TO THE FILE DIRECTORY AT A TIME)
    > ubuntu@ubuntu:/boot$ cd grub
    > bash: cd: grub: No such file or directory
    > ubuntu@ubuntu:/boot$ cd /grub
    > bash: cd: /grub: No such file or directory

    > Richard
    >

    > Mark Warner wrote:
    >
    >> Me wrote:
    >>
    >>> I went to terminal and tried the cd command and the string you gave
    >>> me and I cannot get past "media" directory. If I use cd /media, I get
    >>> there. If I use cd /media/hda2. I fail. I tried hda, hda1, hda0 all
    >>> with no luck.
    >>> Hope this may be a clue??

    >> Okay, I booted to the Live CD myself, and now I know what you need to
    >> do. (I'd forgotten what a PITA Gnome/Nautilus was. I'm a KDE man myself.)
    >>
    >> Boot to the Live CD, and open a terminal.
    >>
    >> # make a mount point
    >>
    >> sudo mkdir /media/hda2
    >>
    >> # mount the partition to that mount point
    >>
    >> sudo mount /dev/hda2 /media/hda2
    >>
    >> # open the menu.list file with Gedit
    >>
    >> sudo gedit /media/hda2/boot/grub/menu.lst
    >>
    >> This should open up the menu.lst file in Gedit as ROOT. Change all the
    >> instances of (hd0,0) to (hd0,1). Save the file, then end the Live CD
    >> session and reboot.
    >>
    >> Cross your fingers.
    >>
    >> If that doesn't work, go back and do the Live CD grub stuff I posted
    >> back at the beginning.
    >>
    >> And if /that/ doesn't work, we'll need to go back into the menu.lst
    >> file again (the exact same was as described above) and clean out the
    >> UUID nonsense. But let's not worry about that right now.
    >>
    >> Hang in there. I didn't do you any favors by not being more specific,
    >> and was posting from memory. This time we should be able to get this
    >> whipped.

  8. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Me wrote:
    > I went back and tried drilling to the file and I WAS able to get to grub
    > this time! I must have done something wrong the last time. I still
    > cannot open the file in terminal with gedit. Is there another editor I
    > can try?
    > Richard
    >
    > Me wrote:
    >
    >> I tried and got a bit farther, I think.
    >> Here is the copy of my terminal experience

    >> ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkdir /media/hda2
    >> ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/hda2 /media/hda2
    >> ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo gedit /media/hda2/boot/grub/menu.1st

    Try this again.

    However, type

    .lst <=== that's Ell Ess Tee

    NOT

    .1st <=== One Ess Tee

    at the end of the last command.

    That would explain a lot of your difficulties.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  9. Re: Dual Boot Saga FINALLY!

    I finally got to the file and edited it. It is not menu.1st, it is menu.lst
    Now I need to unmount hda2 so I can try rebooting. I tried to do it from
    the x terminal but it told me I can't because it was probably mounted
    manually, which it was.
    Richard

    Me wrote:

    > I tried and got a bit farther, I think.
    > Here is the copy of my terminal experience

    > ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkdir /media/hda2
    > ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/hda2 /media/hda2
    > ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo gedit /media/hda2/boot/grub/menu.1st
    >
    > (the file didn't open here so I tried to see how far I could go)
    >
    > ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd media
    > bash: cd: media: No such file or directory
    > (WRONG COMMAND my fault)
    > ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo gedit /media/hda2/boot/grub/menu.1st
    > (TRIED INITIAL COMMAND AGAIN)
    > ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkdir /media/hda2
    > (SO I TRIED TO CREATE THE DIRECTORY AGAIN TO SEE IF IT EXISTED OR NOT)
    > mkdir: cannot create directory `/media/hda2': File exists
    > ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd /media/hda2
    > ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/hda2$ cd /boot
    > (I WENT BACK TO SEE IF I COULD GET TO THE FILE DIRECTORY AT A TIME)
    > ubuntu@ubuntu:/boot$ cd grub
    > bash: cd: grub: No such file or directory
    > ubuntu@ubuntu:/boot$ cd /grub
    > bash: cd: /grub: No such file or directory

    > Richard
    >

    > Mark Warner wrote:
    >
    >> Me wrote:
    >>
    >>> I went to terminal and tried the cd command and the string you gave
    >>> me and I cannot get past "media" directory. If I use cd /media, I get
    >>> there. If I use cd /media/hda2. I fail. I tried hda, hda1, hda0 all
    >>> with no luck.
    >>> Hope this may be a clue??

    >> Okay, I booted to the Live CD myself, and now I know what you need to
    >> do. (I'd forgotten what a PITA Gnome/Nautilus was. I'm a KDE man myself.)
    >>
    >> Boot to the Live CD, and open a terminal.
    >>
    >> # make a mount point
    >>
    >> sudo mkdir /media/hda2
    >>
    >> # mount the partition to that mount point
    >>
    >> sudo mount /dev/hda2 /media/hda2
    >>
    >> # open the menu.list file with Gedit
    >>
    >> sudo gedit /media/hda2/boot/grub/menu.lst
    >>
    >> This should open up the menu.lst file in Gedit as ROOT. Change all the
    >> instances of (hd0,0) to (hd0,1). Save the file, then end the Live CD
    >> session and reboot.
    >>
    >> Cross your fingers.
    >>
    >> If that doesn't work, go back and do the Live CD grub stuff I posted
    >> back at the beginning.
    >>
    >> And if /that/ doesn't work, we'll need to go back into the menu.lst
    >> file again (the exact same was as described above) and clean out the
    >> UUID nonsense. But let's not worry about that right now.
    >>
    >> Hang in there. I didn't do you any favors by not being more specific,
    >> and was posting from memory. This time we should be able to get this
    >> whipped.

  10. Re: Dual Boot Saga FINALLY!

    I just shut down live cd and rebooted. I went to Ubuntu. I was so
    surprised I didn't check to see if there was an option for me to get to
    Windows or not. I will try that.
    Richard

    Me wrote:

    > I finally got to the file and edited it. It is not menu.1st, it is menu.lst
    > Now I need to unmount hda2 so I can try rebooting. I tried to do it from
    > the x terminal but it told me I can't because it was probably mounted
    > manually, which it was.
    > Richard
    >
    > Me wrote:
    >
    >> I tried and got a bit farther, I think.
    >> Here is the copy of my terminal experience

    >> ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkdir /media/hda2
    >> ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/hda2 /media/hda2
    >> ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo gedit /media/hda2/boot/grub/menu.1st
    >>
    >> (the file didn't open here so I tried to see how far I could go)
    >>
    >> ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd media
    >> bash: cd: media: No such file or directory
    >> (WRONG COMMAND my fault)
    >> ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo gedit /media/hda2/boot/grub/menu.1st
    >> (TRIED INITIAL COMMAND AGAIN)
    >> ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkdir /media/hda2
    >> (SO I TRIED TO CREATE THE DIRECTORY AGAIN TO SEE IF IT EXISTED OR NOT)
    >> mkdir: cannot create directory `/media/hda2': File exists
    >> ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd /media/hda2
    >> ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/hda2$ cd /boot
    >> (I WENT BACK TO SEE IF I COULD GET TO THE FILE DIRECTORY AT A TIME)
    >> ubuntu@ubuntu:/boot$ cd grub
    >> bash: cd: grub: No such file or directory
    >> ubuntu@ubuntu:/boot$ cd /grub
    >> bash: cd: /grub: No such file or directory

    >> Richard
    >>

    >> Mark Warner wrote:

    >>> Okay, I booted to the Live CD myself, and now I know what you need to
    >>> do. (I'd forgotten what a PITA Gnome/Nautilus was. I'm a KDE man
    >>> myself.)
    >>>
    >>> Boot to the Live CD, and open a terminal.
    >>>
    >>> # make a mount point
    >>>
    >>> sudo mkdir /media/hda2
    >>>
    >>> # mount the partition to that mount point
    >>>
    >>> sudo mount /dev/hda2 /media/hda2
    >>>
    >>> # open the menu.list file with Gedit
    >>>
    >>> sudo gedit /media/hda2/boot/grub/menu.lst
    >>>
    >>> This should open up the menu.lst file in Gedit as ROOT. Change all
    >>> the instances of (hd0,0) to (hd0,1). Save the file, then end the Live
    >>> CD session and reboot.
    >>>
    >>> Cross your fingers.
    >>>
    >>> If that doesn't work, go back and do the Live CD grub stuff I posted
    >>> back at the beginning.
    >>>
    >>> And if /that/ doesn't work, we'll need to go back into the menu.lst
    >>> file again (the exact same was as described above) and clean out the
    >>> UUID nonsense. But let's not worry about that right now.
    >>>
    >>> Hang in there. I didn't do you any favors by not being more specific,
    >>> and was posting from memory. This time we should be able to get this
    >>> whipped.

  11. Re: Dual Boot Saga FINALLY!

    Me wrote:
    > I finally got to the file and edited it. It is not menu.1st, it is
    > menu.lst

    Here's where the/your confusion started:

    --
    Mike Easter

  12. Re: Dual Boot Saga FINALLY!

    Me wrote:
    > I just shut down live cd and rebooted. I went to Ubuntu. I was so
    > surprised I didn't check to see if there was an option for me to get to
    > Windows or not. I will try that.

    You're welcome.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  13. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Me writes:

> [...]
    >>> In the above, if I boot from SG, I can restore and then reboot the XP.
    >>> I can also, using SG, manually boot the Linux partition at any
    >>> time. When I boot Linux this way, there are a few pages that roll by
    >>> before Linux boots so I suspect what is happening is all from the CD.
    >>> I am attempting to dual boot both systems, that is my goal.
    >>> When I use SG to install Grub, it says it has, but Linux still won't
    >>> boot. The only way I can get Linux to boot is to select the manual
    >>> boot (above).
    >>> I have tried(with SG) to change MBR, add Grub, find Grub and nothing
    >>> works but the manual selection (again as above).
    >>> I suspect I am missing something very basic and I am very new to
    >>> this. All the selections using SG are from the menus, I have not
    >>> "typed" anything in, so they are all provided options.
    >>> My logic tells me that both operating systems are there and intact
    >>> because, one way or another I can boot to them and when I do, they are
    >>> fully functional, its just not happening from boot, like I'd like it
    >>> to.
    >>> Once I restore the MBR and boot Windows, it is ok from then on.
    >>> I am going to take a few days off and be away from this for a while
    >>> and when I return, I will try some of the suggestions provided and
    >>> report back once again.

    >> The reply from Wernst got me going again when I accidentally marked a
    >> Debian mount as "bootable" a few days ago. Thought I had lost my system
    >> for a while. But no, Grub to the rescue ....
    >>
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-24113.html
    >>
    >> ,----
    >> | Don't forget that this method, as described, puts GRUB back on the MBR (master boot record) of the hard drive instead of in the root parititon. This is fine for most people, but not if you already have an alternative boot manager.
    >> Commander, the commands you've just read will overwrite what you've
    >> got.
    >> MBR, the commands are a little different. Here's are the
    >> instructions that I have for my system:
    >> similar.
    >> root passwords as necessary.
    >> "(hd0)" or in my case "(hd0,3)". Use whatever your computer spits
    >> out for the following lines.
    >> use "(hd0)", and that's fine if you want to write GRUB to the
    >> MBR. If you want to write it to your linux root partition, then you
    >> want the number after the comma, such as "(hd0,3)".
    >> backups and restores (I do a lot of testing), I do this all the
    >> time...
    >> `----

    > Thanks to all who have responded to my dilemma. Before I actually do
    > anything, this time, I'm going to get some clarification.
    > What I want to do is be able to boot either XP or Linux at boot. I
    > don't know if this means I want Grub on the MBR or in the Linux
    > partition. (I suspect on MBR).
    > The other thing I keep forgetting to ask is, When I get this
    > operational, do I get a choice at boot? I remember many years ago

    Do you know where google is?

    GRUB is there to give you a choice at boot. It is why it exists.

  14. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Hadron wrote:

    > Do you know where google is?

    Way to "advocate" there, Hadron.

  15. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    > Hadron wrote:
    >

    >> Do you know where google is?
    >>

    > Way to "advocate" there, Hadron.

    This is not an advocacy group.

    This is a "help" group, and Google is a great place to find help.

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  16. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    "John F. Morse" writes:

    > Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>

    >>> Do you know where google is?
    >>>

    >> Way to "advocate" there, Hadron.
    >>

    > This is not an advocacy group.
    >
    > This is a "help" group, and Google is a great place to find help.

    Tattoo Vampire is another COLA moron. He has completely missed the fact
    that I gave a link to the correct way to fix the problem earlier. In
    addition, I must admit to be a bit incredulous at the fact that the OP
    is this far into fiddling with Grub but appears to have no idea what it
    does.

    --
    Travel important today; Internal Revenue men arrive tomorrow.

  17. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > "John F. Morse" writes:
    >
    >> Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    >>> Way to "advocate" there, Hadron.
    >>>

    >> This is not an advocacy group.
    >>
    >> This is a "help" group, and Google is a great place to find help.

    > Tattoo Vampire is another COLA moron. He has completely missed the fact
    > that I gave a link to the correct way to fix the problem earlier. In
    > addition, I must admit to be a bit incredulous at the fact that the OP
    > is this far into fiddling with Grub but appears to have no idea what it
    > does.

    Very harsh Hadron.

    We all start somewhere and the willingness to fiddle from the OP means
    a lot more to me than a bloke who just says "F*&!k Ubuntu, I'm off back to
    b*st$£d windows".

    The OP will undoubtedly have learned a great deal. Probably more than
    a blind google search would ever give him.

    I actually admire his tenacity and eagerness.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  18. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Moog wrote:

    > We all start somewhere and the willingness to fiddle from the OP means
    > a lot more to me than a bloke who just says "F*&!k Ubuntu, I'm off backto
    > b*st$£d windows".
    >
    > The OP will undoubtedly have learned a great deal. Probably more than
    > a blind google search would ever give him.
    >
    > I actually admire his tenacity and eagerness.

    He sure did go silent, though.

    People that follow my instructions often times do seem to drop off the 'Net.

    Wonder why that is? :^)

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ...lose .inhibitions when replying

  19. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Moog writes:

    > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> This is not an advocacy group.
    >>>
    >>> This is a "help" group, and Google is a great place to find help.

    >> Tattoo Vampire is another COLA moron. He has completely missed the fact
    >> that I gave a link to the correct way to fix the problem earlier. In
    >> addition, I must admit to be a bit incredulous at the fact that the OP
    >> is this far into fiddling with Grub but appears to have no idea what it
    >> does.

    > Very harsh Hadron.

    I am not being harsh. I am being honest. I find it hard to believe that
    someone can be editing grub files but not know what Grub is or does.

    > We all start somewhere and the willingness to fiddle from the OP means
    > a lot more to me than a bloke who just says "F*&!k Ubuntu, I'm off back to
    > b*st$£d windows".

    If you recall, I admonished you for something similar recently. I do
    give nOObs help and rarely put people down for being a nOOb. In this
    case I merely pointed out that its not wise to be tinkering with
    something so important if you haven't read up on it first. It is no
    surprise his system is hosed, that is all. God knows I have had enough
    problems too - in fact I had to follow the advice I gave earlier in the
    thread only last week when I foolishly marked a partition as "bootable"
    in the Debian installer by mistake. As a result, Grub was put there and
    not in the MBA and I couldnt start my system.

    > The OP will undoubtedly have learned a great deal. Probably more than
    > a blind google search would ever give him.

    My comment was only with regard to "What grub does". Not how to do it. I
    and another poster provided that information earlier in the thread.

    > I actually admire his tenacity and eagerness.

    So do I. No two ways about it.

    --
    Si quieres una mano que te ayude, la encontrarás al final de tu brazo.
    -- Anónimo.

  20. Re: Dual Boot Saga

    Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >>
    >> We all start somewhere and the willingness to fiddle from the OP means
    >> a lot more to me than a bloke who just says "F*&!k Ubuntu, I'm off back to
    >> b*st$£d windows".
    >>
    >> The OP will undoubtedly have learned a great deal. Probably more than
    >> a blind google search would ever give him.
    >>
    >> I actually admire his tenacity and eagerness.

    > He sure did go silent, though.
    >
    > People that follow my instructions often times do seem to drop off the 'Net.
    >
    > Wonder why that is? :^)

    Heh. I thought you did a sterling job Mark.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."