New (k)Ubuntu user - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on New (k)Ubuntu user - Ubuntu ; I recently crossed from Windows to Linux (k)Ubuntu and I feel much better... I am also a (La)TeX user (MikTeX + texniccenter) My files are not read well by Ubuntu applications like kile or texmaker. I know that I have ...

  1. New (k)Ubuntu user

    I recently crossed from Windows to Linux (k)Ubuntu and I feel much better...

    I am also a (La)TeX user (MikTeX + texniccenter)
    My files are not read well by Ubuntu applications like kile or texmaker.

    I know that I have to change from UTF-8 to ISO 8859-1
    but I dont't know how and where etc etc

    I would like to use also TeXaide, or something similar to edit equations
    for LaTeX but installation doesn't work under wine
    any comment would be appreciated

    --
    ciao
    El Bandolero

  2. Re: New (k)Ubuntu user

    * El Bandolero wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > I recently crossed from Windows to Linux (k)Ubuntu and I feel much better...

    > I am also a (La)TeX user (MikTeX + texniccenter)
    > My files are not read well by Ubuntu applications like kile or texmaker.

    > I know that I have to change from UTF-8 to ISO 8859-1
    > but I dont't know how and where etc etc

    > I would like to use also TeXaide, or something similar to edit equations
    > for LaTeX but installation doesn't work under wine
    > any comment would be appreciated

    try:

    sudo dpkg-reconfigure localeconf

    --
    David
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

    If Love Were Oil, I'd Be About A Quart Low
    -- Book title by Lewis Grizzard

  3. Re: New (k)Ubuntu user

    El Bandolero wrote:

    > I recently crossed from Windows to Linux (k)Ubuntu and I feel much better...
    >
    > I am also a (La)TeX user (MikTeX + texniccenter)
    > My files are not read well by Ubuntu applications like kile or texmaker.
    >
    > I know that I have to change from UTF-8 to ISO 8859-1
    > but I dont't know how and where etc etc

    In Kile you can choose the encoding from a selection box below the file
    list on the left. Search for utf8
    For LaTeX you need
    \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

    > I would like to use also TeXaide, or something similar to edit
    > equations for LaTeX but installation doesn't work under wine

    What does TeXaide do?

    > any comment would be appreciated

    I'm using Emacs with AUCTex and reftex for writing LaTeX and IMHO it's
    the most advanced environment for that (but needs some learning,
    especially if you've never used Emacs).

    If you want to give it a try install emacs-snapshot-gtk and auxtex and copy
    the following to ~/.emacs

    -------------cut--------------------------------------------------------

    (setq TeX-auto-save t)
    (setq TeX-parse-self t)
    (setq-default TeX-master nil)

    (require 'tex-site)

    (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex) ; AUCTeX LaTeX mode
    (add-hook 'TeX-mode-hook '(lambda ()
    (TeX-fold-mode 1)))

    Then start Emacs and open a .tex file.

    Florian