XSANE problem - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on XSANE problem - Ubuntu ; Hello group, I'm new here; been fooling around with FF 7.04 for a while. I'm thinking about dumping windows once I graduate from school. I would have dumped Windows a long time ago, but it's a school requirement. Anyway, I've ...

  1. XSANE problem

    Hello group,

    I'm new here; been fooling around with FF 7.04 for a while. I'm thinking
    about dumping windows once I graduate from school. I would have dumped
    Windows a long time ago, but it's a school requirement.

    Anyway, I've got this scanner from a friend it's a hp scanjet 3570c. I know
    it's not supported in ubuntu's xsane backend but I found that SANE has a
    backend that is supported. After installing SANE with the updated backend I
    still can't get the scanner to working right. Has anybody else had any
    luck?

  2. Re: XSANE problem

    Wil462 wrote:

    > Hello group,
    >
    > I'm new here; been fooling around with FF 7.04 for a while. I'm thinking
    > about dumping windows once I graduate from school. I would have dumped
    > Windows a long time ago, but it's a school requirement.
    >
    > Anyway, I've got this scanner from a friend it's a hp scanjet 3570c. I
    > know it's not supported in ubuntu's xsane backend but I found that SANE
    > has a backend that is supported. After installing SANE with the updated
    > backend I still can't get the scanner to working right. Has anybody else
    > had any luck?

    try this type the following in a terminal
    man sane-gt68xx and it should tell you how to install the firmware for your
    scanner

  3. Re: XSANE problem

    On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 09:06 +0100, darklight wrote:
    > Wil462 wrote:
    >
    > > Hello group,
    > >
    > > I'm new here; been fooling around with FF 7.04 for a while. I'm thinking
    > > about dumping windows once I graduate from school. I would have dumped
    > > Windows a long time ago, but it's a school requirement.
    > >
    > > Anyway, I've got this scanner from a friend it's a hp scanjet 3570c. I
    > > know it's not supported in ubuntu's xsane backend but I found that SANE
    > > has a backend that is supported. After installing SANE with the updated
    > > backend I still can't get the scanner to working right. Has anybody else
    > > had any luck?

    > try this type the following in a terminal
    > man sane-gt68xx and it should tell you how to install the firmware for your
    > scanner

    Thanks for the info. This scanner still does not want to respond. It was
    a freebie anyway so it's no big loss. Since I'm tribooting I can access
    it anytime from one of the other OS's.

  4. Re: XSANE problem

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 00:49:17 +0000, Wil462 wrote:

    > Hello group,
    >
    > I'm new here; been fooling around with FF 7.04 for a while. I'm thinking
    > about dumping windows once I graduate from school. I would have dumped
    > Windows a long time ago, but it's a school requirement.
    >
    > Anyway, I've got this scanner from a friend it's a hp scanjet 3570c. I know
    > it's not supported in ubuntu's xsane backend but I found that SANE has a
    > backend that is supported. After installing SANE with the updated backend I
    > still can't get the scanner to working right. Has anybody else had any
    > luck?

    I've had good luck with a product called Vuescan. You might go to the
    site and see if your scanner is included. One program is good for
    hundreds of different scanners.

  5. Re: XSANE problem

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 15:53:11 GMT
    franz frippl wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 00:49:17 +0000, Wil462 wrote:
    >
    > > Hello group,
    > >
    > > I'm new here; been fooling around with FF 7.04 for a while. I'm
    > > thinking about dumping windows once I graduate from school. I would
    > > have dumped Windows a long time ago, but it's a school requirement.
    > >
    > > Anyway, I've got this scanner from a friend it's a hp scanjet
    > > 3570c. I know it's not supported in ubuntu's xsane backend but I
    > > found that SANE has a backend that is supported. After installing
    > > SANE with the updated backend I still can't get the scanner to
    > > working right. Has anybody else had any luck?

    > I've had good luck with a product called Vuescan. You might go to the
    > site and see if your scanner is included. One program is good for
    > hundreds of different scanners.

    Hi
    Have you tried the hplip package?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    up 1 day 13:51, 2 users, load average: 0.22, 0.14, 0.09

  6. Re: XSANE problem

    Malcolm wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 15:53:11 GMT
    > franz frippl wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 00:49:17 +0000, Wil462 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello group,
    >>>
    >>> I'm new here; been fooling around with FF 7.04 for a while. I'm
    >>> thinking about dumping windows once I graduate from school. I would
    >>> have dumped Windows a long time ago, but it's a school requirement.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, I've got this scanner from a friend it's a hp scanjet
    >>> 3570c. I know it's not supported in ubuntu's xsane backend but I
    >>> found that SANE has a backend that is supported. After installing
    >>> SANE with the updated backend I still can't get the scanner to
    >>> working right. Has anybody else had any luck?

    >> I've had good luck with a product called Vuescan. You might go to the
    >> site and see if your scanner is included. One program is good for
    >> hundreds of different scanners.

    > Hi
    > Have you tried the hplip package?

    how do you add drivers to sane?

  7. Re: XSANE problem

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 19:41:33 -0400
    tnt wrote:

    > Malcolm wrote:
    > > On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 15:53:11 GMT
    > > franz frippl wrote:

    > >> I've had good luck with a product called Vuescan. You might go to
    > >> the site and see if your scanner is included. One program is good
    > >> for hundreds of different scanners.

    > > Hi
    > > Have you tried the hplip package?
    > >

    > how do you add drivers to sane?

    Hi
    I see hplip won't work for you :-( Have you looked at this?
    http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane...scanner.1.html

    When you say "can't get the scanner working right", is that not
    detected?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    up 2 days 1:29, 1 user, load average: 0.10, 0.08, 0.07

+ Reply to Thread