Enabling 5.1 surround - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Enabling 5.1 surround - Ubuntu ; I just installed my old Turtle Beach SantaCruz and got myself some 5.1 speakers. How do I enable 5.1 as I only have 2.1 sound at the moment, i.e. Centre and rear speakers are quiet (yes, they are plugged in ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Enabling 5.1 surround

    I just installed my old Turtle Beach SantaCruz and got myself some 5.1
    speakers. How do I enable 5.1 as I only have 2.1 sound at the moment,
    i.e. Centre and rear speakers are quiet (yes, they are plugged in
    right, I tested them on another OS)

    Sound chip is identified as a Cirrus Logic CS4297A if that helps.

    --
    Pretentious? Moi?

  2. Re: Enabling 5.1 surround

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:30:48 +0100 Trevor Best
    wrote:

    > I just installed my old Turtle Beach SantaCruz and got myself some 5.1
    > speakers. How do I enable 5.1 as I only have 2.1 sound at the moment,
    > i.e. Centre and rear speakers are quiet (yes, they are plugged in
    > right, I tested them on another OS)

    > Sound chip is identified as a Cirrus Logic CS4297A if that helps.

    This sounds perfect candidate for some of Doug Jamal's magic from:

    (:

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  3. Re: Enabling 5.1 surround

    On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 23:51:41 -0400
    Little Girl wrote:

    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:30:48 +0100 Trevor Best
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I just installed my old Turtle Beach SantaCruz and got myself some 5.1
    > > speakers. How do I enable 5.1 as I only have 2.1 sound at the moment,
    > > i.e. Centre and rear speakers are quiet (yes, they are plugged in
    > > right, I tested them on another OS)

    > > Sound chip is identified as a Cirrus Logic CS4297A if that helps.

    > This sounds perfect candidate for some of Doug Jamal's magic from:
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3290917

    Wow, looks like a weekend job, thanks.

    --
    To err is human, to moo bovine.

  4. Re: Enabling 5.1 surround

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:18:10 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > Little Girl wrote:
    > > Trevor Best wrote:

    > > > I just installed my old Turtle Beach SantaCruz and got myself
    > > > some 5.1 speakers. How do I enable 5.1 as I only have 2.1 sound
    > > > at the moment, i.e. Centre and rear speakers are quiet (yes, they
    > > > are plugged in right, I tested them on another OS)

    > > > Sound chip is identified as a Cirrus Logic CS4297A if that helps.

    > > This sounds perfect candidate for some of Doug Jamal's magic from:

    > > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3290917

    > Wow, looks like a weekend job, thanks.

    Did you "git 'her done"? (:

    --
    Little Girl

    Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia - the fear of long words.

  5. Re: Enabling 5.1 surround

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:53:38 -0400
    Little Girl wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:18:10 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    > > Little Girl wrote:

    > > > This sounds perfect candidate for some of Doug Jamal's magic from:

    > > > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3290917

    > > Wow, looks like a weekend job, thanks.

    > Did you "git 'her done"? (:

    No. Most of that went over my head, I may have read it out of context
    however. If there was a configuration file to modify I haven't found it
    yet.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  6. Re: Enabling 5.1 surround

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:59:37 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > Little Girl wrote:

    > > Did you "git 'her done"? (:

    > No. Most of that went over my head, I may have read it out of context
    > however. If there was a configuration file to modify I haven't found
    > it yet.

    This might make it a little easier:

    http://littlergirl.googlepages.com/soundproblems.txt

    It's the two posts I saved in which Doug Jamal participated and helped
    jabiru with a sound problem, providing an example of how to fix it.
    There's also the above link followed by the information at the link so
    it's all in one place. (:

    --
    Little Girl

    Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia - the fear of long words.

  7. Re: Enabling 5.1 surround

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 20:36:13 -0400
    Little Girl wrote:

    > On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:59:37 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    > > Little Girl wrote:

    > > > Did you "git 'her done"? (:

    > > No. Most of that went over my head, I may have read it out of context
    > > however. If there was a configuration file to modify I haven't found
    > > it yet.

    > This might make it a little easier:
    >
    > http://littlergirl.googlepages.com/soundproblems.txt
    >
    > It's the two posts I saved in which Doug Jamal participated and helped
    > jabiru with a sound problem, providing an example of how to fix it.
    > There's also the above link followed by the information at the link so
    > it's all in one place. (:

    Thanks, I think the bit that confused me was that I could not find a
    file called alsa-base, but synaptic said I had it installed so I was
    wondering if "alsa-base" was a suite of files.

    That post pointed right to it, something solid at last.

    Shame it says to reboot though, I feel like a windows user :-\

    I'll let you know if it worked later (I'm not rebooting now).

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  8. Re: Enabling 5.1 surround

    Little Girl wrote:

    > On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:59:37 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    > > Little Girl wrote:

    > > > Did you "git 'her done"? (:

    > > No. Most of that went over my head, I may have read it out of context
    > > however. If there was a configuration file to modify I haven't found
    > > it yet.

    > This might make it a little easier:
    >
    > http://littlergirl.googlepages.com/soundproblems.txt
    >
    > It's the two posts I saved in which Doug Jamal participated and helped
    > jabiru with a sound problem, providing an example of how to fix it.
    > There's also the above link followed by the information at the link so
    > it's all in one place. (:

    I added
    "options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1 model=3stack"
    to alsa-base to no avail, I'm wondering if I need different options for
    my card

    <------------------
    trevor@voyager:~$ aplay -l | grep "card"
    card 0: CS46xx [Sound Fusion CS46xx], device 0: CS46xx [CS46xx]
    card 0: CS46xx [Sound Fusion CS46xx], device 1: CS46xx - Rear [CS46xx - Rear]
    card 0: CS46xx [Sound Fusion CS46xx], device 2: CS46xx - IEC958 [CS46xx - IEC958]
    card 0: CS46xx [Sound Fusion CS46xx], device 3: CS46xx - Center LFE [CS46xx - Center LFE]
    trevor@voyager:~$ lspci | grep Audio
    01:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24/30 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)
    --------------------->

    the aplay command lists 31 subdevices as well on all but the IEC958, which had 1.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  9. Re: Enabling 5.1 surround

    On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 19:07:52 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 20:36:13 -0400
    > Little Girl wrote:

    > > > No. Most of that went over my head, I may have read it out of
    > > > context however. If there was a configuration file to modify I
    > > > haven't found it yet.

    > > This might make it a little easier:
    > >
    > > http://littlergirl.googlepages.com/soundproblems.txt
    > >
    > > It's the two posts I saved in which Doug Jamal participated and
    > > helped jabiru with a sound problem, providing an example of how to
    > > fix it. There's also the above link followed by the information at
    > > the link so it's all in one place. (:
    > >

    > I added
    > "options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1 model=3stack"
    > to alsa-base to no avail, I'm wondering if I need different options
    > for my card

    I got the impression that you had five rather than three. If so, then
    you might want to try any of the many versions of the command for
    5stack (or maybe basic or auto) from the page that was referenced.
    Possibly just changing 3stack to 5stack in the line above would do it.
    You might have to tinker. I think the references were more of an
    example to follow than a strict guide. Also, there may be similar info
    for your specific hardware, but maybe this stuff will work. (:

    Model name Description
    ---------- -----------
    ALC880
    5stack 5-jack in back, 2-jack in front
    5stack-digout 5-jack in back, 2-jack in front, a SPDIF out

    ALC260
    ALC262
    ALC882/885
    ALC883/888
    ALC861/660
    ALC861VD/660VD
    AD1988
    auto auto-config reading BIOS (default)

    CMI9880
    allout 5-jack in back, 2-jack in front, SPDIF out

    AD1984
    basic default configuration

    STAC9220/9221
    5stack D945 5stack + SPDIF

    STAC9227/9228/9229/927x
    5stack D965 5stack + SPDIF

    > <------------------
    > trevor@voyager:~$ aplay -l | grep "card"
    > card 0: CS46xx [Sound Fusion CS46xx], device 0: CS46xx [CS46xx]
    > card 0: CS46xx [Sound Fusion CS46xx], device 1: CS46xx - Rear [CS46xx
    > - Rear] card 0: CS46xx [Sound Fusion CS46xx], device 2: CS46xx -
    > IEC958 [CS46xx - IEC958] card 0: CS46xx [Sound Fusion CS46xx], device
    > 3: CS46xx - Center LFE [CS46xx - Center LFE] trevor@voyager:~$ lspci
    > | grep Audio 01:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS
    > 4614/22/24/30 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)
    > --------------------->

    Too bad this specific brand isn't mentioned on that page. That would
    solve everything!

    > the aplay command lists 31 subdevices as well on all but the IEC958,
    > which had 1.

    OMG, on both of the commands you issued above I got a very brief
    one-line output. This laptop is absolutely pathetic on sound. I'll tell
    you what, just pack up that sound system, mail it to me and I'll find a
    way to get her up and running. Then, if I don't *like* it, I'll send it
    back. How's that? (:

    --
    Little Girl

    Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia - the fear of long words.

  10. Re: Enabling 5.1 surround

    On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 15:10:24 -0400
    Little Girl wrote:

    > Too bad this specific brand isn't mentioned on that page. That would
    > solve everything!

    It is here
    http://svn.opensuse.org/svn/yast/tru...ard_addons.ycp
    so I tried a few variations of
    options snd-cs46xx model=5stack position_fix=1
    options snd-cs46xx model=auto position_fix=3

    Also snd_cs46xx, then I was using
    $ sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart
    to restart sound, no difference. This morning I had no sound so
    restored it the way it was and rebooted, seems that restart doesn't
    restart the sound using the new config.

    > > the aplay command lists 31 subdevices as well on all but the IEC958,
    > > which had 1.

    > OMG, on both of the commands you issued above I got a very brief
    > one-line output. This laptop is absolutely pathetic on sound. I'll tell
    > you what, just pack up that sound system, mail it to me and I'll find a
    > way to get her up and running. Then, if I don't *like* it, I'll send it
    > back. How's that? (:

    sounds like a plan

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  11. Re: Enabling 5.1 surround

    On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 08:26:36 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > Little Girl wrote:

    > > http://littlergirl.googlepages.com/soundproblems.txt

    > > It's the two posts I saved in which Doug Jamal participated and
    > > helped jabiru with a sound problem, providing an example of how to
    > > fix it. There's also the above link followed by the information at
    > > the link so it's all in one place. (:

    > Thanks, I think the bit that confused me was that I could not find a
    > file called alsa-base, but synaptic said I had it installed so I was
    > wondering if "alsa-base" was a suite of files.

    Apparently alsa-base is a package containing the ALSA driver
    configuration files.

    Long version:

    apt-cache show alsa-base

    > That post pointed right to it, something solid at last.

    > Shame it says to reboot though, I feel like a windows user :-\

    (:

    > I'll let you know if it worked later (I'm not rebooting now).

    I'll cross my fingers for you!

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  12. Re: Enabling 5.1 surround

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 08:28:31 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > Little Girl wrote:

    > > Too bad this specific brand isn't mentioned on that page. That would
    > > solve everything!

    > It is here
    > http://svn.opensuse.org/svn/yast/tru...ard_addons.ycp

    Well, according to that page, the snd-cs46xx is definitely right, so it
    has to be something else...

    > so I tried a few variations of
    > options snd-cs46xx model=5stack position_fix=1
    > options snd-cs46xx model=auto position_fix=3

    What happens if you just do one of these?

    options snd-cs46xx model=5stack
    options snd-cs46xx model=auto

    Also, although they're different models than the one you have, there
    were other Turtle Beach cards on that page. You might want to try one
    of their commands instead just to see if they kick it in the butt.

    > Also snd_cs46xx, then I was using
    > $ sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart
    > to restart sound, no difference. This morning I had no sound so
    > restored it the way it was and rebooted, seems that restart doesn't
    > restart the sound using the new config.

    Oh no! Tell me you got your sound back at least!

    Meanwhile, here are a couple of promising looking pages for a different
    approach. Here's hoping one of them works:

    > > > the aplay command lists 31 subdevices as well on all but the
    > > > IEC958, which had 1.

    > > OMG, on both of the commands you issued above I got a very brief
    > > one-line output. This laptop is absolutely pathetic on sound. I'll
    > > tell you what, just pack up that sound system, mail it to me and
    > > I'll find a way to get her up and running. Then, if I don't *like*
    > > it, I'll send it back. How's that? (:

    > sounds like a plan

    Overnight air, please. (:

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  13. Re: Enabling 5.1 surround

    On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 16:06:06 -0400
    Little Girl wrote:

    > What happens if you just do one of these?
    >
    > options snd-cs46xx model=5stack
    > options snd-cs46xx model=auto

    The sound card is not detected upon startup :-\

    > Also, although they're different models than the one you have, there
    > were other Turtle Beach cards on that page. You might want to try one
    > of their commands instead just to see if they kick it in the butt.

    I would if it weren't for having to reboot all the time, it gets a bit
    boring after 4 or 5 reboots.

    $ sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart

    doesn't seem to have an effect, if I'm playing something at the time it
    interrupts the sound but doesn't really re-read the alsa-base.

    > Oh no! Tell me you got your sound back at least!

    When I revert the alsa-base back to normal, yes.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  14. Re: Enabling 5.1 surround

    On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 15:12:12 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > Little Girl wrote:

    > > What happens if you just do one of these?

    > > options snd-cs46xx model=5stack
    > > options snd-cs46xx model=auto

    > The sound card is not detected upon startup :-\

    Well, darn. You'd think one of these would have done it.

    > > Also, although they're different models than the one you have, there
    > > were other Turtle Beach cards on that page. You might want to try
    > > one of their commands instead just to see if they kick it in the
    > > butt.

    > I would if it weren't for having to reboot all the time, it gets a bit
    > boring after 4 or 5 reboots.

    Must... resist...

    (:

    > $ sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart

    > doesn't seem to have an effect, if I'm playing something at the time
    > it interrupts the sound but doesn't really re-read the alsa-base.

    Doesn't that right there indicate that something's not quite right?

    > > Oh no! Tell me you got your sound back at least!

    > When I revert the alsa-base back to normal, yes.

    Aw. Did you try the alternative approach that was in the link I put in
    the last message? It might be something as simple as that. (:

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  15. Re: Enabling 5.1 surround

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:35:43 -0400
    Little Girl wrote:

    > On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 15:12:12 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    > > Little Girl wrote:

    > > > What happens if you just do one of these?

    > > > options snd-cs46xx model=5stack
    > > > options snd-cs46xx model=auto

    > > The sound card is not detected upon startup :-\

    > Well, darn. You'd think one of these would have done it.

    It is my model but the very mention of snd-cs46xx in alsa-base seems to
    turn it off :-(

    > > $ sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart

    > > doesn't seem to have an effect, if I'm playing something at the time
    > > it interrupts the sound but doesn't really re-read the alsa-base.

    > Doesn't that right there indicate that something's not quite right?

    Possibly but I'm not 100% sure what it's supposed to re-read it or not.

    > > > Oh no! Tell me you got your sound back at least!

    > > When I revert the alsa-base back to normal, yes.

    > Aw. Did you try the alternative approach that was in the link I put in
    > the last message? It might be something as simple as that. (:

    Yes, but unfortunately it wasn't.

    Thanks for the help anyway, at least I still have sound.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  16. Re: Enabling 5.1 surround

    On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 22:55:14 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > Little Girl wrote:
    > > Trevor Best wrote:
    > > > Little Girl wrote:

    > > Well, darn. You'd think one of these would have done it.

    > It is my model but the very mention of snd-cs46xx in alsa-base seems
    > to turn it off :-(

    The for heaven's sake, don't say it! (:

    > > > When I revert the alsa-base back to normal, yes.

    > > Aw. Did you try the alternative approach that was in the link I put
    > > in the last message? It might be something as simple as that. (:

    > Yes, but unfortunately it wasn't.

    > Thanks for the help anyway, at least I still have sound.

    You're not alone. It looks like a lot of people have trouble with this
    particular module. Have you tried disabling ACPI? It supposedly worked
    for one person.

    Also, ALSA has a wiki page with some good information:

    http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/FAQ

    And last but not least, ALSA also has a page on how to set up 5.1
    surround:

    http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Pl...up_%28Howto%29

    I haven't given up on this yet. (:

    --
    Little Girl
    http://littlergirl.googlepages.com/

    There is no spoon.

  17. Re: Enabling 5.1 surround

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:58:26 -0400
    Little Girl wrote:

    > > It is my model but the very mention of snd-cs46xx in alsa-base seems
    > > to turn it off :-(

    > The for heaven's sake, don't say it! (:

    Like Macbeth? D'oh!

    > You're not alone. It looks like a lot of people have trouble with this
    > particular module. Have you tried disabling ACPI? It supposedly worked
    > for one person.
    >
    > Also, ALSA has a wiki page with some good information:
    >
    > http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/FAQ
    >
    > And last but not least, ALSA also has a page on how to set up 5.1
    > surround:
    >
    > http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Pl...up_%28Howto%29
    >
    > I haven't given up on this yet. (:

    I'll give these a try over the weekend, I'll have to put the card back
    in as I whipped it out diagnosing another problem then I'll have to
    disable the internal sound if I can eventually get into the BIOS setup,
    takes about 10 goes of hammering the DEL key while rebooting. Oh for a
    win fall, I'll just go to Alienware and get a new PC :-)

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.

  18. Re: Enabling 5.1 surround

    Trevor Best wrote:

    > Little Girl wrote:

    > > > It is my model but the very mention of snd-cs46xx in alsa-base
    > > > seems to turn it off :-(

    > > Then for heaven's sake, don't say it! (:

    > Like Macbeth? D'oh!

    Can you tell I never read Macbeth? (:

    > > You're not alone. It looks like a lot of people have trouble with
    > > this particular module. Have you tried disabling ACPI? It
    > > supposedly worked for one person.

    > > Also, ALSA has a wiki page with some good information:

    > > http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/FAQ

    > > And last but not least, ALSA also has a page on how to set up 5.1
    > > surround:

    > > http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Pl...up_%28Howto%29

    > > I haven't given up on this yet. (:

    > I'll give these a try over the weekend, I'll have to put the card back
    > in as I whipped it out diagnosing another problem then I'll have to
    > disable the internal sound if I can eventually get into the BIOS
    > setup, takes about 10 goes of hammering the DEL key while rebooting.

    Aw, don't go stuffing the card back in if you've already moved on to
    other hardware! All that Whack-A-Mole practice in the good old days
    comes in handy when going for that delete key!

    > Oh for a win fall, I'll just go to Alienware and get a new PC :-)

    Now that's just plain cheating. (:

    --
    Little Girl
    http://littlergirl.googlepages.com/

    There is no spoon.

  19. Re: Enabling 5.1 surround

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:37:49 -0400
    Little Girl wrote:

    > > > Then for heaven's sake, don't say it! (:

    > > Like Macbeth? D'oh!

    > Can you tell I never read Macbeth? (:

    Nor me, but actors think it bad luck to mention it :-)

    > Aw, don't go stuffing the card back in if you've already moved on to
    > other hardware! All that Whack-A-Mole practice in the good old days
    > comes in handy when going for that delete key!

    But the other hardware (nForce2) sounds like a cat being
    shredded in a cheese grater in comparison to the SantaCruz...

    > > Oh for a win fall, I'll just go to Alienware and get a new PC :-)

    > Now that's just plain cheating. (:

    Not likely to happen on my budget though :-(

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.
    Kiera Best - Aged 6.

  20. Re: Enabling 5.1 surround

    Trevor Best wrote:

    > > > Like Macbeth? D'oh!

    > > Can you tell I never read Macbeth? (:

    > Nor me, but actors think it bad luck to mention it :-)

    I'll take your word for it. (:

    > > Aw, don't go stuffing the card back in if you've already moved on to
    > > other hardware! All that Whack-A-Mole practice in the good old days
    > > comes in handy when going for that delete key!

    > But the other hardware (nForce2) sounds like a cat being
    > shredded in a cheese grater in comparison to the SantaCruz...

    That's what we like to refer to in the bizzzzness as motivation!

    > > > Oh for a win fall, I'll just go to Alienware and get a new PC :-)

    > > Now that's just plain cheating. (:

    > Not likely to happen on my budget though :-(

    Good! Now get to work! (:

    --
    Little Girl
    There is no spoon.