USB External Hard Drive Format - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on USB External Hard Drive Format - Ubuntu ; I will be installing Ubuntu on a machine that will only have Ubuntu Feisty Fawn. I will also be setting up an external drive for back up. What file format do I put on the external drive and how do ...

  1. USB External Hard Drive Format

    I will be installing Ubuntu on a machine that will only have Ubuntu
    Feisty Fawn. I will also be setting up an external drive for back up.
    What file format do I put on the external drive and how do I do it?

    Thanks,

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  2. Re: USB External Hard Drive Format

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:10:47 +0200, Alias wrote:

    > I will be installing Ubuntu on a machine that will only have Ubuntu
    > Feisty Fawn. I will also be setting up an external drive for back up.
    > What file format do I put on the external drive and how do I do it?
    >
    > Thanks,

    That depends if you want it to be portable, ie:- Readable by Windows
    machines. If you do, format it to NTFS and install ntfs-3g. I didnt need
    that so I used ext3 on my 500GB drive and it works a treat!

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  3. Re: USB External Hard Drive Format

    Alias writes:

    > I will be installing Ubuntu on a machine that will only have Ubuntu
    > Feisty Fawn. I will also be setting up an external drive for back
    > up. What file format do I put on the external drive and how do I do
    > it?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Make a dual partition. Assuming you will have ext3 as your base fs type
    in Ubuntu, make half ntfs/fat32 and the other ext3. If you had a music
    collection, for example, back that up to the ntfs/fat32 part since then
    you can still access it from Windows if necessary.

    The ext3 partition on the external you can just rsync from /home to back
    up all users and their data.

    --
    Sembrando trigo una vez, cosecharás una vez. Plantando un árbol,
    cosecharás diez veces. Instruyendo al pueblo, cosecharás cien veces.

  4. Re: USB External Hard Drive Format

    Alias schreef:
    > I will be installing Ubuntu on a machine that will only have Ubuntu
    > Feisty Fawn. I will also be setting up an external drive for back up.
    > What file format do I put on the external drive and how do I do it?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Assuming you're going for one of the recent very large GB drives you can
    no longer use FAT.
    ntfs is accessible from Linux via the ntfs-3g plug in and the home FS
    for Windows XP&Vista.
    ext3 is the typical file system for Linux and accessible from Windows
    with this utility:
    http://www.fs-driver.org

    As you write about backing up a single OS Ubuntu machine there is no
    valid reason to take anything but ext3.

  5. Re: USB External Hard Drive Format

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" writes:

    > Alias schreef:
    >> I will be installing Ubuntu on a machine that will only have Ubuntu
    >> Feisty Fawn. I will also be setting up an external drive for back
    >> up. What file format do I put on the external drive and how do I do
    >> it?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    > Assuming you're going for one of the recent very large GB drives you
    > can no longer use FAT.

    Yes he can - just break it up into multiple partitions.

    > ntfs is accessible from Linux via the ntfs-3g plug in and the home FS
    > for Windows XP&Vista.
    > ext3 is the typical file system for Linux and accessible from Windows
    > with this utility:
    > http://www.fs-driver.org
    >

    > As you write about backing up a single OS Ubuntu machine there is no
    > valid reason to take anything but ext3.

    Always keep a fat32/ntfs partition. Trust me. There will be a time when
    you want to plug that drive into an MS machine and transfer data.

    --
    Kansas City <--> Satanic sky
    -- anagrama

  6. Re: USB External Hard Drive Format

    Hadron wrote:
    > "Dirk T. Verbeek" writes:
    >
    >> Alias schreef:
    >>> I will be installing Ubuntu on a machine that will only have Ubuntu
    >>> Feisty Fawn. I will also be setting up an external drive for back
    >>> up. What file format do I put on the external drive and how do I do
    >>> it?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>

    >> Assuming you're going for one of the recent very large GB drives you
    >> can no longer use FAT.

    > Yes he can - just break it up into multiple partitions.
    >
    >> ntfs is accessible from Linux via the ntfs-3g plug in and the home FS
    >> for Windows XP&Vista.
    >> ext3 is the typical file system for Linux and accessible from Windows
    >> with this utility:
    >> http://www.fs-driver.org
    >>

    >> As you write about backing up a single OS Ubuntu machine there is no
    >> valid reason to take anything but ext3.

    > Always keep a fat32/ntfs partition. Trust me. There will be a time when
    > you want to plug that drive into an MS machine and transfer data.

    This is for someone that uses web email, surfs, watches DVDs, instant
    messaging, some word processing and little else. I found over 40 viruses
    on the machine that is currently running a pirated copy of XP. They have
    only this machine and are sick of paying people to clean it up for them.
    The external drive will never be plugged into a Windows machine.

    So, how do I format the external drive into format ext3?

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  7. Re: USB External Hard Drive Format

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:10:47 +0200, Alias wrote:

    > I will be installing Ubuntu o

    I have an external 400 GB, half with ext3 and half empty (no partition).
    To the partitioned part I backup using partimage, to the non partition I
    backup using gparted by copying the entire partition. I use both by booting
    from the Linux Rescue Cd, and being a newbie, it saved my butt more than
    once...

    --
    support green computers
    http://greenlifecomputers.com

  8. Re: USB External Hard Drive Format

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 21:33:39 +0200, Alias wrote:

    Snipped
    The external drive will never be plugged into a Windows machine.

    > So, how do I format the external drive into format ext3?

    I could be wrong as I am just a nOOb myself, but I believe that you use
    Gparted to partition and format the drive. Its been 2 years since I did
    that, so my memory is going!

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  9. Re: USB External Hard Drive Format

    Holz wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:10:47 +0200, Alias wrote:
    >
    >> I will be installing Ubuntu o

    > I have an external 400 GB, half with ext3 and half empty (no partition).
    > To the partitioned part I backup using partimage, to the non partition I
    > backup using gparted by copying the entire partition. I use both by booting
    > from the Linux Rescue Cd, and being a newbie, it saved my butt more than
    > once...

    Sounds like a good set up. How did you format the external drive with ext3?

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  10. Re: USB External Hard Drive Format

    MCR wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 21:33:39 +0200, Alias wrote:
    >
    > Snipped
    > The external drive will never be plugged into a Windows machine.
    >> So, how do I format the external drive into format ext3?
    >>

    > I could be wrong as I am just a nOOb myself, but I believe that you use
    > Gparted to partition and format the drive. Its been 2 years since I did
    > that, so my memory is going!

    OK, what's Gparted and how do I get it?

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  11. Re: USB External Hard Drive Format

    * Alias wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > MCR wrote:
    >> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 21:33:39 +0200, Alias wrote:

    >> Snipped The external drive will never be plugged into a Windows
    >> machine.
    >>> So, how do I format the external drive into format ext3?

    >> I could be wrong as I am just a nOOb myself, but I believe that you
    >> use Gparted to partition and format the drive. Its been 2 years
    >> since I did that, so my memory is going!

    > OK, what's Gparted and how do I get it?

    gparted:
    partition editor for GNOME It is a graphical editor which uses
    libparted to detect and manipulate devices and partition tables while
    several (optional) filesystem tools provide support for filesystems not
    included in libparted. These optional packages will be detected at
    runtime. It currently supports ext2, ext3, Reiser3, FAT, NTFS, XFS,
    JFS, HFS and Linux swap.

    It is in ther repos so:

    sudo apt-get install gparted

    OR

    System > Administration > Synaptic
    While in the ALL catagor start typing gparted.

    --
    David
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

    Ego sum ens omnipotens.

  12. Re: USB External Hard Drive Format

    SINNER wrote:
    > * Alias wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >> MCR wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 21:33:39 +0200, Alias wrote:

    >>> Snipped The external drive will never be plugged into a Windows
    >>> machine.

    >>> I could be wrong as I am just a nOOb myself, but I believe that you
    >>> use Gparted to partition and format the drive. Its been 2 years
    >>> since I did that, so my memory is going!

    >> OK, what's Gparted and how do I get it?

    > gparted:
    > partition editor for GNOME It is a graphical editor which uses
    > libparted to detect and manipulate devices and partition tables while
    > several (optional) filesystem tools provide support for filesystems not
    > included in libparted. These optional packages will be detected at
    > runtime. It currently supports ext2, ext3, Reiser3, FAT, NTFS, XFS,
    > JFS, HFS and Linux swap.
    >
    > It is in ther repos so:
    >
    > sudo apt-get install gparted
    >
    > OR
    >
    > System > Administration > Synaptic
    > While in the ALL catagor start typing gparted.

    Thanks.

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  13. Re: USB External Hard Drive Format

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 18:01:39 +0200, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > As you write about backing up a single OS Ubuntu machine there is no valid
    > reason to take anything but ext3.

    Yes there is. If you want to be able to shred a file for security
    purpose.

    On further study, maybe you can shred a file on ext3. I just re-read the
    man page for shred.

    CAUTION: Note that shred relies on a very important
    assumption: that the file system overwrites data in
    place. This is the traditional way to do things, but
    many modern file system designs do not satisfy this
    assumption. The following are examples of file sys‐
    tems on which shred is not effective, or is not
    guaranteed to be effective in all file system modes:

    * log-structured or journaled file systems, such as
    those supplied with

    AIX and Solaris (and JFS, ReiserFS, XFS, Ext3,
    etc.)

    This made me think shred did not work on ext3...

    In the case of ext3 file systems, the above disclaimer
    applies (and shred is thus of limited effectiveness)
    only in data=journal mode, which journals file data in
    addition to just metadata. In both the data=ordered
    (default) and data=writeback modes, shred works as
    usual. Ext3 journaling modes can be changed by adding
    the data=something option to the mount options for a
    particular file system in the /etc/fstab file, as doc‐
    umented in the mount man page (man mount).

    So it looks like in the ext3 default mode, shred does work.
    I guess I can learn something new everyday. I haven't thoroughly read the
    manpage for shred in a couple of years. Is this a new feature, or did I
    misread it the first time around.

    stonerfish

  14. Re: USB External Hard Drive Format

    Alias writes:

    > MCR wrote:
    >> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 21:33:39 +0200, Alias wrote:
    >>
    >> Snipped
    >> The external drive will never be plugged into a Windows machine.
    >>> So, how do I format the external drive into format ext3?
    >>>

    >> I could be wrong as I am just a nOOb myself, but I believe that you use
    >> Gparted to partition and format the drive. Its been 2 years since I did
    >> that, so my memory is going!
    >>

    > OK, what's Gparted and how do I get it?

    The same way as you install nearly every other program. Use synaptic. or google..

    --
    No se puede desatar un nudo sin saber cómo está hecho.
    -- Aristóteles. (384-322 A.C.) Filósofo griego.

  15. Re: USB External Hard Drive Format

    Alias writes:

    > SINNER wrote:
    >> * Alias wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    >>> OK, what's Gparted and how do I get it?

    >> gparted: partition editor for GNOME It is a graphical editor which
    >> uses
    >> libparted to detect and manipulate devices and partition tables while
    >> several (optional) filesystem tools provide support for filesystems not
    >> included in libparted. These optional packages will be detected at
    >> runtime. It currently supports ext2, ext3, Reiser3, FAT, NTFS, XFS,
    >> JFS, HFS and Linux swap.
    >>
    >> It is in ther repos so:
    >>
    >> sudo apt-get install gparted
    >>
    >> OR
    >>
    >> System > Administration > Synaptic
    >> While in the ALL catagor start typing gparted.
    >>

    > Thanks.

    Warning : I have had gparted freeze twice on me when running it from
    withing Ubuntu. You are *much* better advised to use the gparted cd
    instead which uses far less resources, has nothing else running and uses
    a much more uptodate version:

    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

    if you want a wonderful rescue disk try this:

    http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

    --
    No se puede desatar un nudo sin saber cómo está hecho.
    -- Aristóteles. (384-322 A.C.) Filósofo griego.

  16. Re: USB External Hard Drive Format

    Hadron wrote:
    > Alias writes:
    >
    >> SINNER wrote:

    >>> gparted: partition editor for GNOME It is a graphical editor which
    >>> uses
    >>> libparted to detect and manipulate devices and partition tables while
    >>> several (optional) filesystem tools provide support for filesystems not
    >>> included in libparted. These optional packages will be detected at
    >>> runtime. It currently supports ext2, ext3, Reiser3, FAT, NTFS, XFS,
    >>> JFS, HFS and Linux swap.
    >>>
    >>> It is in ther repos so:
    >>>
    >>> sudo apt-get install gparted
    >>>
    >>> OR
    >>>
    >>> System > Administration > Synaptic
    >>> While in the ALL catagor start typing gparted.
    >>>

    >> Thanks.

    > Warning : I have had gparted freeze twice on me when running it from
    > withing Ubuntu. You are *much* better advised to use the gparted cd
    > instead which uses far less resources, has nothing else running and uses
    > a much more uptodate version:
    >
    > http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
    >
    > if you want a wonderful rescue disk try this:
    >
    > http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

    Thanks.

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  17. Re: USB External Hard Drive Format

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 01:21:55 +0200, Alias wrote:

    Snipped

    > Sounds like a good set up. How did you format the external drive with ext3?

    Forgive me for butting in but I formatted my external HD with GParted from
    the Repo's.

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making