Yet another Dual Boot question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Yet another Dual Boot question - Ubuntu ; I am using both XP and Feisty although on separate Hard drives. They are on pull out shelves so I put one in at a time and changing them is a bit of a pain. So, I have been attempting ...

  1. Yet another Dual Boot question

    I am using both XP and Feisty although on separate Hard drives. They are
    on pull out shelves so I put one in at a time and changing them is a bit
    of a pain. So, I have been attempting to get a dual boot system working
    by installing both operating systems on one Hard Drive. The thought
    occurred to me after playing around with this for a couple of days that
    there may be a possibility to leave the OSs on their respective drives
    and configure my system to dual boot them in that way. I can have up to
    3 HDs installed at once, if that is any help.
    Anyone know if this is possible without my having to do some serious
    rewiring and programming? I am still relatively new to Linux so I'd
    prefer a relatively easy/simple process :-)
    TIA
    Richard

  2. Re: Yet another Dual Boot question

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 09:29:34 -0500, ME wrote:

    > The thought
    > occurred to me after playing around with this for a couple of days that
    > there may be a possibility to leave the OSs on their respective drives
    > and configure my system to dual boot them in that way. I can have up to
    > 3 HDs installed at once, if that is any help.
    > Anyone know if this is possible without my having to do some serious
    > rewiring and programming?

    If you root around in the grub documentation, you may find all you
    need to do is set the drive number for each stanza.

    Example /boot/grub/menu.lst stanza
    title Mandriva failsafe
    kernel (hd0,11)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda12 failsafe
    initrd (hd0,11)/boot/initrd.img
    ^ ^
    | |
    Drive selector ---' `-------- partition on drive.
    NOTE: drive and partition numbers start at zero.

  3. Re: Yet another Dual Boot question

    > I am using both XP and Feisty although on separate Hard drives. They are
    > on pull out shelves so I put one in at a time and changing them is a bit
    > of a pain. So, I have been attempting to get a dual boot system working
    > by installing both operating systems on one Hard Drive.

    Wubi worked well for me when I tried it - it creates a large NTFS file
    on your existing windows installation (so you don't risk losing that),
    and ubuntu works from "within" it as though it was a partition.

  4. Re: Yet another Dual Boot question

    ME wrote:
    > I am using both XP and Feisty although on separate Hard drives. They are
    > on pull out shelves so I put one in at a time and changing them is a bit
    > of a pain. So, I have been attempting to get a dual boot system working
    > by installing both operating systems on one Hard Drive. The thought
    > occurred to me after playing around with this for a couple of days that
    > there may be a possibility to leave the OSs on their respective drives
    > and configure my system to dual boot them in that way. I can have up to
    > 3 HDs installed at once, if that is any help.
    > Anyone know if this is possible without my having to do some serious
    > rewiring and programming? I am still relatively new to Linux so I'd
    > prefer a relatively easy/simple process :-)
    > TIA
    > Richard

    sounds like a job for the supergrub disk (q.v.)

  5. Re: Yet another Dual Boot question

    Derek Turner wrote:

    > ME wrote:
    >
    >> I am using both XP and Feisty although on separate Hard drives. They
    >> are on pull out shelves so I put one in at a time and changing them is
    >> a bit of a pain. So, I have been attempting to get a dual boot system
    >> working by installing both operating systems on one Hard Drive. The
    >> thought occurred to me after playing around with this for a couple of
    >> days that there may be a possibility to leave the OSs on their
    >> respective drives and configure my system to dual boot them in that
    >> way. I can have up to 3 HDs installed at once, if that is any help.
    >> Anyone know if this is possible without my having to do some serious
    >> rewiring and programming? I am still relatively new to Linux so I'd
    >> prefer a relatively easy/simple process :-)
    >> TIA
    >> Richard

    > sounds like a job for the supergrub disk (q.v.)

    First question is, is it "normal" to be able to boot two different
    drives from one boot loader? As in - am I wanting to do something that
    is reasonably possible?
    Second is, while I am not very familiar with Super Grub, I have only
    used it very recently to attempt to get both OSs on the same drive
    (different partitions), I don't see an option for doing the 2 drive
    thing. It may be there and because of my lack of experience, I just
    don't know it.
    Richard

  6. Re: Yet another Dual Boot question

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 09:29:34 -0500, ME wrote:

    > I am using both XP and Feisty although on separate Hard drives. They are
    > on pull out shelves so I put one in at a time and changing them is a bit
    > of a pain. So, I have been attempting to get a dual boot system working
    > by installing both operating systems on one Hard Drive. The thought
    > occurred to me after playing around with this for a couple of days that
    > there may be a possibility to leave the OSs on their respective drives
    > and configure my system to dual boot them in that way. I can have up to
    > 3 HDs installed at once, if that is any help.
    > Anyone know if this is possible without my having to do some serious
    > rewiring and programming? I am still relatively new to Linux so I'd
    > prefer a relatively easy/simple process :-)
    > TIA
    > Richard

    Basically it is possible to dual boot. People have done that for a long
    time You can have e.g. two separate disks, or you can have both
    operating systems on the same drive on different partitions. You can even
    put them in the same partition with the help of some other software.

    You have several options for enabling dual boot. But first of all, put both
    drives into your machine. If you want XP to manage booting, get a program
    called 'bootpart'. Use it (as admin) to add required info about the boot
    sector of your linux disk to c:\boot.ini. Then reboot and see your new
    boot list.

    If you want feisty to manage booting, add XP info to grub. If you are not
    familiar with grub and don't mind re-installing feisty, then re-install it
    (carefully to the *correct* disk). Installer should add XP info to grub.

    Cheers

    --
    You are what you wear, wear well...

  7. Re: Yet another Dual Boot question

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 09:29:34 -0500, ME wrote:

    > I am using both XP and Feisty although on separate Hard drives. They are
    > on pull out shelves so I put one in at a time and changing them is a bit
    > of a pain. So, I have been attempting to get a dual boot system working
    > by installing both operating systems on one Hard Drive. The thought
    > occurred to me after playing around with this for a couple of days that
    > there may be a possibility to leave the OSs on their respective drives
    > and configure my system to dual boot them in that way. I can have up to
    > 3 HDs installed at once, if that is any help.
    > Anyone know if this is possible without my having to do some serious
    > rewiring and programming? I am still relatively new to Linux so I'd
    > prefer a relatively easy/simple process :-)
    > TIA
    > Richard

    What you're after is very doable. One machine I have has two hard drives
    with several OS's installed on each.

    You will have some difficult using your disks as is without reinstalling.
    They were both set up on the 'only' disk, so, for example, the /etc/fstab
    file in your linux system refers to /dev/hdan - where n is some integer.
    Those entries will have to be changed to /dev/hdbn (assuming new drive is
    slave on the same primary controller) or /dev/hdcn (if master of the
    secondary controller) or even /dev/hddn (if slave on secondary
    controller). Besides that, you'll need to install grub or use the MS boot
    loader and configure things properly there, as well.

  8. Re: Yet another Dual Boot question

    ray wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 09:29:34 -0500, ME wrote:
    >
    >> I am using both XP and Feisty although on separate Hard drives. They are
    >> on pull out shelves so I put one in at a time and changing them is a bit
    >> of a pain. So, I have been attempting to get a dual boot system working
    >> by installing both operating systems on one Hard Drive. The thought
    >> occurred to me after playing around with this for a couple of days that
    >> there may be a possibility to leave the OSs on their respective drives
    >> and configure my system to dual boot them in that way. I can have up to
    >> 3 HDs installed at once, if that is any help.
    >> Anyone know if this is possible without my having to do some serious
    >> rewiring and programming? I am still relatively new to Linux so I'd
    >> prefer a relatively easy/simple process :-)
    >> TIA
    >> Richard

    > What you're after is very doable. One machine I have has two hard drives
    > with several OS's installed on each.
    >
    > You will have some difficult using your disks as is without reinstalling.
    > They were both set up on the 'only' disk, so, for example, the /etc/fstab
    > file in your linux system refers to /dev/hdan - where n is some integer.
    > Those entries will have to be changed to /dev/hdbn (assuming new drive is
    > slave on the same primary controller) or /dev/hdcn (if master of the
    > secondary controller) or even /dev/hddn (if slave on secondary
    > controller). Besides that, you'll need to install grub or use the MS boot
    > loader and configure things properly there, as well.

    Thank you ALL for all the information and suggestions. I am still
    muddling along, even after accidentally erasing my XP OS on the drive it
    was on :-(. Fortunately there was little valuable info on it. Just a
    stupid mistake as I thought I was nearing my goal. So, I have a 3 hour
    install and upgrade before I could restart what I was in the middle of.
    My situation is compounded by my hope/wish to keep my current Feisty
    installation together. I have been trying to transfer it as a partition
    to a variety of partitions with some success and sometimes not.
    I think for the time being, I will be happy to have both installs on the
    same HD and I think I am close to that. One of my problems was learning
    what the menu items on Super Grub really meant. Because I was trying to
    get a Linux partition booted, did I choose Linux, or Boot? And when I
    made a mistake and had to reboot, did my old brain remember which choice
    I had just made or did I do it all again.
    Anyway, I am learning about something I don't or won't have to do for a
    while, once I get it all working. Thanks again to all.
    Richard

+ Reply to Thread