Westel 327 W DSL modem/router - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Westel 327 W DSL modem/router - Ubuntu ; I am presently running XP Professional with Verizon DSL, Westel 327 W router/modem. I plan to acquire another machine and install Ubuntu on it "real soon now". Is it true that all I need to do is install Ubuntu on ...

  1. Westel 327 W DSL modem/router

    I am presently running XP Professional with Verizon DSL, Westel 327 W
    router/modem. I plan to acquire another machine and install Ubuntu on it
    "real soon now".

    Is it true that all I need to do is install Ubuntu on my other box, set the
    network to use DHCP, then connect to the router?

    Can this be confirmed with Knoppix or a live Ubuntu disk?

    Does anyone have words of wisdom for me

    With Warmest Regards
    David Teague

  2. Re: Westel 327 W DSL modem/router

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:23:27 +0000, david teague wrote:

    > I am presently running XP Professional with Verizon DSL, Westel 327 W
    > router/modem. I plan to acquire another machine and install Ubuntu on it
    > "real soon now".
    >
    > Is it true that all I need to do is install Ubuntu on my other box, set
    > the network to use DHCP, then connect to the router?
    >
    > Can this be confirmed with Knoppix or a live Ubuntu disk?
    >
    > Does anyone have words of wisdom for me

    If you connect to the router via an ethernet cable, then yes, that's all
    you need to do. If it is connected via USB, then it may or may not
    work. You may need drivers, if they are available.

    --
    /home/joe/.signature

  3. Re: Westel 327 W DSL modem/router

    "Joe" wrote in message
    newsaSdnYcXvvP2r3bbnZ2dnUVZ_rfinZ2d@giganews.com...
    > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:23:27 +0000, david teague wrote:
    >
    >> I am presently running XP Professional with Verizon DSL, Westel 327 W
    >> router/modem. I plan to acquire another machine and install Ubuntu on it
    >> "real soon now".
    >>
    >> Is it true that all I need to do is install Ubuntu on my other box, set
    >> the network to use DHCP, then connect to the router?
    >>
    >> Can this be confirmed with Knoppix or a live Ubuntu disk?
    >>
    >> Does anyone have words of wisdom for me

    > If you connect to the router via an ethernet cable, then yes, that's all
    > you need to do. If it is connected via USB, then it may or may not
    > work. You may need drivers, if they are available.

    Many thanks Joe. Whether the connection is USB or ethernet is a piece of
    information I thought about providing after pressing send. The Westel 327 W
    only has RJ45 connections, no USB. In the back of my mind, ethernet is
    still 1/4 inch coax. I'm an oldtimer who started with Fortran on an IBM 650
    as an EE undergraduate in 1957, and who got out of Linux before many users
    today got their first computers. It was about 2000. My watch has more
    computing power than the '650.

    The modem makes wireless available, but I don't use it. When I move the
    Linux computer the music room to drive my music system in, I'll probably
    add a wireless card to connect to the modem. I believe there are wireless
    cards for PCs that look like an ethernet card to the operating system.

    With Warmest Regards
    David Teague

  4. Re: Westel 327 W DSL modem/router

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:23:27 +0000, david teague wrote:

    > I am presently running XP Professional with Verizon DSL, Westel 327 W
    > router/modem. I plan to acquire another machine and install Ubuntu on it
    > "real soon now".
    >
    > Is it true that all I need to do is install Ubuntu on my other box, set the
    > network to use DHCP, then connect to the router?

    Yes.

    > Can this be confirmed with Knoppix or a live Ubuntu disk?

    Yes.

    > Does anyone have words of wisdom for me

    No, just do it. Generally, if your modem, router, switch, etc. connects
    with an ethernet cable and it works for another machine there should be
    absolutely no problem.

    > With Warmest Regards
    > David Teague

  5. Re: Westel 327 W DSL modem/router

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 02:08:13 +0000, david teague wrote:

    > "Joe" wrote in message
    > newsaSdnYcXvvP2r3bbnZ2dnUVZ_rfinZ2d@giganews.com...
    >> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:23:27 +0000, david teague wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am presently running XP Professional with Verizon DSL, Westel 327 W
    >>> router/modem. I plan to acquire another machine and install Ubuntu on it
    >>> "real soon now".
    >>>
    >>> Is it true that all I need to do is install Ubuntu on my other box, set
    >>> the network to use DHCP, then connect to the router?
    >>>
    >>> Can this be confirmed with Knoppix or a live Ubuntu disk?
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have words of wisdom for me

    >> If you connect to the router via an ethernet cable, then yes, that's all
    >> you need to do. If it is connected via USB, then it may or may not
    >> work. You may need drivers, if they are available.

    > Many thanks Joe. Whether the connection is USB or ethernet is a piece of
    > information I thought about providing after pressing send. The Westel 327 W
    > only has RJ45 connections, no USB. In the back of my mind, ethernet is
    > still 1/4 inch coax. I'm an oldtimer who started with Fortran on an IBM 650
    > as an EE undergraduate in 1957, and who got out of Linux before many users
    > today got their first computers. It was about 2000. My watch has more
    > computing power than the '650.
    >
    > The modem makes wireless available, but I don't use it. When I move the
    > Linux computer the music room to drive my music system in, I'll probably
    > add a wireless card to connect to the modem. I believe there are wireless
    > cards for PCs that look like an ethernet card to the operating system.

    When you get to wireless, I'd strongly recommend an Atheros chipset - if
    you can find out what's in it. I use a Dlink WNA-2330 wireless card in my
    laptop (pcmcia card, of course) and it is trivial to set up using mad-wifi.

    > With Warmest Regards
    > David Teague

  6. Re: Westel 327 W DSL modem/router

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 02:08:13 +0000, david teague wrote:

    > "Joe" wrote in message
    > newsaSdnYcXvvP2r3bbnZ2dnUVZ_rfinZ2d@giganews.com...
    >> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:23:27 +0000, david teague wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am presently running XP Professional with Verizon DSL, Westel 327 W
    >>> router/modem. I plan to acquire another machine and install Ubuntu on
    >>> it "real soon now".
    >>>
    >>> Is it true that all I need to do is install Ubuntu on my other box,
    >>> set the network to use DHCP, then connect to the router?
    >>>
    >>> Can this be confirmed with Knoppix or a live Ubuntu disk?
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have words of wisdom for me

    >> If you connect to the router via an ethernet cable, then yes, that's
    >> all you need to do. If it is connected via USB, then it may or may not
    >> work. You may need drivers, if they are available.

    > Many thanks Joe. Whether the connection is USB or ethernet is a piece of
    > information I thought about providing after pressing send. The Westel
    > 327 W only has RJ45 connections, no USB. In the back of my mind,

    You'll be fine, then!

    > ethernet is still 1/4 inch coax. I'm an oldtimer who started with
    > Fortran on an IBM 650 as an EE undergraduate in 1957, and who got out
    > of Linux before many users today got their first computers. It was about
    > 2000. My watch has more computing power than the '650.

    I'm a bit younger. Been working with computers in various forms since
    about '82, with most of my professional work coming after '90. I've
    worked with plenty of Coax, token ring, etc...

    > The modem makes wireless available, but I don't use it. When I move the
    > Linux computer the music room to drive my music system in, I'll
    > probably add a wireless card to connect to the modem. I believe there
    > are wireless cards for PCs that look like an ethernet card to the
    > operating system.

    Not exactly, but close enough. If you are planning to use a wireless
    card under Linux, just be sure you check back here before buying one.
    You just want to make sure that it is compatible. Many wireless cards
    have very limited Linux support, due to the lack of support from the
    manufacturers. If you get the right card, though, it is a piece of
    cake...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..." - Danny, American History X

  7. Re: Westel 327 W DSL modem/router

    david teague wrote:
    > I am presently running XP Professional with Verizon DSL, Westel 327 W
    > router/modem. I plan to acquire another machine and install Ubuntu on it
    > "real soon now".
    >
    > Is it true that all I need to do is install Ubuntu on my other box, set the
    > network to use DHCP, then connect to the router?
    >
    > Can this be confirmed with Knoppix or a live Ubuntu disk?
    >
    > Does anyone have words of wisdom for me
    >
    > With Warmest Regards
    > David Teague

    Whether you decide to use DHCP or not is your choice.

    If you do want to use it, then the router must have DHCP turned on for
    your network (LAN) side -- it's usually always used for the ISP (WAN)
    side. This tells the router to serve up an IP to a client that connects
    to the LAN. Then the client PC(s) should also have DHCP selected.

    The client(s) actually can have a static IP if needed, making DHCP from
    the router moot, except for that occasional future visitor with a laptop.

    If you do use a static TCP/IP configuration, you'll need to supply the
    IP, the mask (usually 255.255.255.0), the gateway IP (the router IP),
    and the DNS server(s) IP (usually the same as the router unless you are
    running your own DNS server).

    I don't use DHCP because I have a bunch of servers, including DNS, and
    they need to have a static IP so they can find each other to communicate.

    If you have more than one computer, and plan on sharing files, etc.,
    then having a static IP is far easier than running something like
    ifconfig/ipconfig to discover what the current DHCP address is.

    As I said, I use a DNS server. But in your case, without local DNS
    server, you could name your clients, adding this info to the hosts file,
    and then refer to them by name. This is a great help when your brain
    gets old and stiff. ;-)

    For more info, explore your XP hosts file (search for it), and also run
    ipconfig from a DOS prompt (what's it called in XP, "Command Prompt,"
    maybe under Start > Applications > Accessories > System?). You will get
    an idea of how things are presently configured.

    When you have GNU/Linux running (either installed or a LiveCD), the
    hosts file is at /etc/hosts and the interface configuration command is
    ifconfig instead of the DOS ipconfig.

    This information is also available here and there using a GUI system
    configuration or utility program. However, there are too many variables
    involved for a simple HOWTO as what to use, etc., without knowing the
    particular distro, version, desktop manager, etc. The CLI terminal is
    universal, and quite fast.

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.