Has anyone used Astaro? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Has anyone used Astaro? - Ubuntu ; I have been listening to alot of pod casts for Security Now with Steve Gibson and decided to pop for the 'free' Astaro software. Since I'm on vacation now (yah hooooo) I have time to play. I was thinking about ...

  1. Has anyone used Astaro?

    I have been listening to alot of pod casts for Security Now with Steve
    Gibson and decided to pop for the 'free' Astaro software. Since I'm on
    vacation now (yah hooooo) I have time to play. I was thinking about
    recycling my little Acer laptop as my Astaro machine. Has anyone here
    used the product and if so, what did you find about it? Easy to use,
    hard as BG's head or somewhere in between?

    --
    PSK - RLU 452647 http://improve-usenet.org
    Killing GG and Supernews now on Ubuntu, Vista and XP

  2. Re: Has anyone used Astaro?

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 23:53:58 +0000, Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:

    > I have been listening to alot of pod casts for Security Now with Steve
    > Gibson

    Are you aware that guys is FOS about a lot of security issues? Many
    security people can't stand him.

  3. Re: Has anyone used Astaro?

    On 2007-09-15, Juarez wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 23:53:58 +0000, Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:
    >
    >> I have been listening to alot of pod casts for Security Now with Steve
    >> Gibson

    > Are you aware that guys is FOS about a lot of security issues? Many
    > security people can't stand him.

    What is "FOS"? I did a google search and came up with nothing.
    Seriously though, I think he has alot of good things to say. And FWIW I
    believe that his podcasts with Leo Laporte won some sort of awards.

    --
    PSK - RLU 452647 http://improve-usenet.org
    Killing GG and Supernews now on Ubuntu, Vista and XP
    http://www.grc.com/stevegibson.htm

  4. Re: Has anyone used Astaro?

    Dh... FOS = Full Of ****...sorry, brain fart.
    --
    PSK - RLU 452647 http://improve-usenet.org
    Killing GG and Supernews now on Ubuntu, Vista and XP
    http://www.grc.com/stevegibson.htm

  5. Re: Has anyone used Astaro?

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 23:53:58 +0000, Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:

    > I have been listening to alot of pod casts for Security Now with Steve
    > Gibson and decided to pop for the 'free' Astaro software. Since I'm on
    > vacation now (yah hooooo) I have time to play. I was thinking about
    > recycling my little Acer laptop as my Astaro machine. Has anyone here
    > used the product and if so, what did you find about it? Easy to use,
    > hard as BG's head or somewhere in between?

    I use IPCop (http://ipcop.org). It has transparent proxy filtering,
    intrusion detection, traffic shaping, VPN support, etc. Behind mine I have
    a DMZ, a wireless network and a wired network. It's an impressive linux
    distribution and it runs well on older hardware.

    You can also build all these capabilities into any standard linux. But
    IPCop does it all for you and there's a pretty GUI to administer it with.

    There's no way I'd pay $$$ for something I could get for free.

  6. Re: Has anyone used Astaro?

    Juarez wrote:
    > Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:
    >
    >> I have been listening to alot of pod casts for Security Now with
    >> Steve Gibson

    > Are you aware that guys is FOS about a lot of security issues?
    > Many security people can't stand him.

    Are you aware that he is generally right? Ignoring reality is not
    cool.

  7. Re: Has anyone used Astaro? - is free

    In article <46ebeb16$0$19625$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
    nobrac@nospam.tampabay.rr.com says...

    > There's no way I'd pay $$$ for something I could get for free.

    --
    Astaro is free for non-commercial use. Back to the subject -
    Anyone have any experience with Astaro?

    R. Dave Lambert
    rdavelambert@shaw.ca
    rdavelambert@gawab.com
    49.1367 N 122.8777 W

  8. Re: Has anyone used Astaro?

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 01:05:27 GMT, Juarez expounded upon us in
    alt.os.linux.ubuntu :

    > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 23:53:58 +0000, Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:
    >
    >> I have been listening to alot of pod casts for Security Now
    >> with Steve Gibson

    > Are you aware that guys is FOS about a lot of security issues?
    > Many security people can't stand him.

    If that is the case, then how can you account for the following
    quote

    "In August 2006, Security Now! ranked fourth in the "Top 40" of all
    podcasts listened to via the PodNova service.[5] Security Now!
    averages around 100,000 downloads per episode throughout 2006. [6]
    [7] In August 2007, Security Now! won in the People's Choice
    Podcast Awards Technology/Science category."

    As taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_Now!

    Do some research before you make stupid statements.

    --
    Killing GG and Supernews now on Ubuntu, Vista and XP
    http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

  9. Re: Has anyone used Astaro?

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > Juarez wrote:
    > > Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have been listening to alot of pod casts for Security Now with
    > >> Steve Gibson

    > > Are you aware that guys is FOS about a lot of security issues?
    > > Many security people can't stand him.

    > Are you aware that he is generally right? Ignoring reality is not
    > cool.

    Gibson is nothing but an incompetent attention slut. The only things
    he's ever gotten right in his life are the ideas he's stolen from
    someone else, and even those he manages to **** up horribly most of
    thee time. His so called original thoughts, if in fact he's ever
    provably had any, are so laughably out in left field they're not even
    in the same ballpark as an actual intelligent thought.

  10. Re: Has anyone used Astaro?

    Nomen Nescio wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >> Juarez wrote:

    >>> Are you aware that guys is FOS about a lot of security issues?
    >>> Many security people can't stand him.

    >> Are you aware that he is generally right? Ignoring reality is not
    >> cool.

    > Gibson is nothing but an incompetent attention slut. The only
    > things he's ever gotten right in his life are the ideas he's
    > stolen from someone else, and even those he manages to **** up
    > horribly most of thee time. His so called original thoughts, if
    > in fact he's ever provably had any, are so laughably out in left
    > field they're not even in the same ballpark as an actual
    > intelligent thought.

    I have to admire your exquisite choice of subtle language, and the
    extreme delicacy of expression you produce. I also observe the
    total lack of real information.

  11. Re: Has anyone used Astaro?

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > > Gibson is nothing but an incompetent attention slut. The only
    > > things he's ever gotten right in his life are the ideas he's
    > > stolen from someone else, and even those he manages to **** up
    > > horribly most of thee time. His so called original thoughts, if
    > > in fact he's ever provably had any, are so laughably out in left
    > > field they're not even in the same ballpark as an actual
    > > intelligent thought.

    > I have to admire your exquisite choice of subtle language, and the
    > extreme delicacy of expression you produce. I also observe the
    > total lack of real information.

    You mean like SynCookies, which he plagiarized and then managed to
    **** until broken before labeling the idea his "genesis"?

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/02...en_syncookies/

    Or his bizarre claims that raw sockets would be the death of the
    Internet?

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/06...really_is_off/

    Or the SetAbortProc() issue the loony toon whackjob completely
    misidentified as a "kernel problem", then made a fool of himself over
    by claiming it was some sort of "back door" purposefully coded into
    Windows?

    http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/382

    ROTFL!

    "Popinjay expert" describes bird brain Gibson perfectly. And it's easy
    to see from your history here why you two would get along famously.

    Birds of a feather, as it were.

    LOL!

    Have a nice day Tweety m'boy!

  12. Re: Has anyone used Astaro?

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 01:44:26 +0000, Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:

    > On 2007-09-15, Juarez wrote:
    >> On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 23:53:58 +0000, Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have been listening to alot of pod casts for Security Now with Steve
    >>> Gibson

    >> Are you aware that guys is FOS about a lot of security issues? Many
    >> security people can't stand him.

    > What is "FOS"? I did a google search and came up with nothing.
    > Seriously though, I think he has alot of good things to say. And FWIW I
    > believe that his podcasts with Leo Laporte won some sort of awards.

    Maybe he meant "FUD" and got his acronyms crossed? "FOS" could be free
    open source, but that doesn't make sense in the above....

    stonefish
    --
    my brain hurts.

  13. Re: Has anyone used Astaro?

    On 2007-09-16, jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 01:44:26 +0000, Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:

    >>> Are you aware that guys is FOS about a lot of security issues? Many
    >>> security people can't stand him.

    >> What is "FOS"? I did a google search and came up with nothing.
    >> Seriously though, I think he has alot of good things to say. And FWIW I
    >> believe that his podcasts with Leo Laporte won some sort of awards.
    >>

    > Maybe he meant "FUD" and got his acronyms crossed? "FOS" could be free
    > open source, but that doesn't make sense in the above....
    >
    > stonefish

    FOS = Full Of ****. And I don't agree with his evaluation. Neither do
    the people who nominated him for a People's Choice Award back in 2004
    (Note: I previously posted a quote from wikipedia about this award so I
    am working from memory on the date).

    --
    PSK - RLU 452647 http://improve-usenet.org
    Killing GG and Supernews now on Ubuntu, Vista and XP
    http://www.grc.com/stevegibson.htm

  14. Re: Has anyone used Astaro?

    Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:

    > On 2007-09-16, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    > >> What is "FOS"? I did a google search and came up with nothing.
    > >> Seriously though, I think he has alot of good things to say. And FWIW I
    > >> believe that his podcasts with Leo Laporte won some sort of awards.
    > >>

    > > Maybe he meant "FUD" and got his acronyms crossed? "FOS" could be free
    > > open source, but that doesn't make sense in the above....
    > >
    > > stonefish

    > FOS = Full Of ****. And I don't agree with his evaluation. Neither do
    > the people who nominated him for a People's Choice Award back in 2004
    > (Note: I previously posted a quote from wikipedia about this award so I
    > am working from memory on the date).

    OJ Simpson and Michael Jackson collected an impressive number of
    "popularity awards" in their day too. And there's still a few nitwits
    who just love'm both.

    So I'd say your disagreement and the fact that he's managed to con job
    enough people to get the recognition that he defines himself by don't
    disprove the fact that he's full of **** at all.

+ Reply to Thread