CUPS Server Error - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on CUPS Server Error - Ubuntu ; Trying to get a HP photosmart 3100 printer installed. I get CUPS Server Error. Anyone have a solution? Thanks...

  1. CUPS Server Error

    Trying to get a HP photosmart 3100 printer installed. I get CUPS Server
    Error.

    Anyone have a solution?

    Thanks

  2. Re: CUPS Server Error

    tnt wrote:
    > Trying to get a HP photosmart 3100 printer installed. I get CUPS Server
    > Error.
    >
    > Anyone have a solution?
    >
    > Thanks

    Perhaps if you told /how/ you were trying to install it and what the
    message is? Oh and what you were trying to install it to?

  3. Re: CUPS Server Error

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > tnt wrote:
    >> Trying to get a HP photosmart 3100 printer installed. I get CUPS
    >> Server Error.
    >>
    >> Anyone have a solution?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Perhaps if you told /how/ you were trying to install it and what the
    > message is? Oh and what you were trying to install it to?

    Trying to install a new printer, a hp photosmart 3100 using new printer,
    i get "CUPS server error" and it does not add he new printer.

  4. Re: CUPS Server Error

    tnt wrote:
    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >> tnt wrote:
    >>> Trying to get a HP photosmart 3100 printer installed. I get CUPS
    >>> Server Error.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have a solution?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> Perhaps if you told /how/ you were trying to install it and what the
    >> message is? Oh and what you were trying to install it to?

    > Trying to install a new printer, a hp photosmart 3100 using new printer,
    > i get "CUPS server error" and it does not add he new printer.

    Trying to install it using WHAT? to which flavour and release of *ubuntu
    I'm guessing (but only guessing) you've done something like
    System>Administartion>Printing and clicked 'New Printer' which has
    started the 'Add new printer' wizard? Please be a lot more specific
    about the distro you are using and the exact procedure you are following
    and the exact text (and context) of any error messages.

    Try typing localhost:631 into the address bar of your favourite browser
    to deal with CUPS directly. You can install the printer from the browser
    following the onscreen instructions as the photosmart 3100 is one of the
    listed printers in CUPS. By the way, you DO have CUPS installed do you?
    You might not have if this is the first printer you have added!

  5. Re: CUPS Server Error

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > tnt wrote:
    >> Derek Turner wrote:

    >>> Perhaps if you told /how/ you were trying to install it and what the
    >>> message is? Oh and what you were trying to install it to?

    >> Trying to install a new printer, a hp photosmart 3100 using new
    >> printer, i get "CUPS server error" and it does not add he new printer.
    >>

    > Trying to install it using WHAT? to which flavour and release of *ubuntu
    > I'm guessing (but only guessing) you've done something like
    > System>Administartion>Printing and clicked 'New Printer' which has
    > started the 'Add new printer' wizard? Please be a lot more specific
    > about the distro you are using and the exact procedure you are following
    > and the exact text (and context) of any error messages.
    >
    > Try typing localhost:631 into the address bar of your favourite browser
    > to deal with CUPS directly. You can install the printer from the browser
    > following the onscreen instructions as the photosmart 3100 is one of the
    > listed printers in CUPS. By the way, you DO have CUPS installed do you?
    > You might not have if this is the first printer you have added!

    Thanks

    I am trying to install a new printer with ubuntu 7.04 using
    System>Administartion>Printing and clicked 'New Printer' which has
    started the 'Add new printer' wizard and get the msg "CUPS Server Error"
    and it does not add anything.

    hope that help, do you need addit info?

  6. Re: CUPS Server Error

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > tnt wrote:
    >> Derek Turner wrote:

    >>> Perhaps if you told /how/ you were trying to install it and what the
    >>> message is? Oh and what you were trying to install it to?

    >> Trying to install a new printer, a hp photosmart 3100 using new
    >> printer, i get "CUPS server error" and it does not add he new printer.
    >>

    > Trying to install it using WHAT? to which flavour and release of *ubuntu
    > I'm guessing (but only guessing) you've done something like
    > System>Administartion>Printing and clicked 'New Printer' which has
    > started the 'Add new printer' wizard? Please be a lot more specific
    > about the distro you are using and the exact procedure you are following
    > and the exact text (and context) of any error messages.
    >
    > Try typing localhost:631 into the address bar of your favourite browser
    > to deal with CUPS directly. You can install the printer from the browser
    > following the onscreen instructions as the photosmart 3100 is one of the
    > listed printers in CUPS. By the way, you DO have CUPS installed do you?
    > You might not have if this is the first printer you have added!

    How do you install cups?

  7. Re: CUPS Server Error

    tnt wrote:
    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >> tnt wrote:

    >>> Trying to install a new printer, a hp photosmart 3100 using new
    >>> printer, i get "CUPS server error" and it does not add he new printer.
    >>>

    >> Trying to install it using WHAT? to which flavour and release of
    >> *ubuntu I'm guessing (but only guessing) you've done something like
    >> System>Administartion>Printing and clicked 'New Printer' which has
    >> started the 'Add new printer' wizard? Please be a lot more specific
    >> about the distro you are using and the exact procedure you are
    >> following and the exact text (and context) of any error messages.
    >>
    >> Try typing localhost:631 into the address bar of your favourite
    >> browser to deal with CUPS directly. You can install the printer from
    >> the browser following the onscreen instructions as the photosmart 3100
    >> is one of the listed printers in CUPS. By the way, you DO have CUPS
    >> installed do you? You might not have if this is the first printer you
    >> have added!

    > Thanks
    >
    > I am trying to install a new printer with ubuntu 7.04 using
    > System>Administartion>Printing and clicked 'New Printer' which has
    > started the 'Add new printer' wizard and get the msg "CUPS Server Error"
    > and it does not add anything.
    >
    > hope that help, do you need addit info?

    When i put localhost:631 and see unix cups and press any key i get "404
    not found."

  8. Re: CUPS Server Error

    tnt wrote:
    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >> tnt wrote:

    >>> Trying to install a new printer, a hp photosmart 3100 using new
    >>> printer, i get "CUPS server error" and it does not add he new printer.
    >>>

    >> Trying to install it using WHAT? to which flavour and release of
    >> *ubuntu I'm guessing (but only guessing) you've done something like
    >> System>Administartion>Printing and clicked 'New Printer' which has
    >> started the 'Add new printer' wizard? Please be a lot more specific
    >> about the distro you are using and the exact procedure you are
    >> following and the exact text (and context) of any error messages.
    >>
    >> Try typing localhost:631 into the address bar of your favourite
    >> browser to deal with CUPS directly. You can install the printer from
    >> the browser following the onscreen instructions as the photosmart 3100
    >> is one of the listed printers in CUPS. By the way, you DO have CUPS
    >> installed do you? You might not have if this is the first printer you
    >> have added!

    > How do you install cups?

    fire up the synaptic package manager and search for cups then mark
    cupsys and any dependant files for (re)installation. It sound as if you
    don't have CUPS installed or it's borked. hth.

  9. Re: CUPS Server Error

    tnt wrote:
    > tnt wrote:
    >> Derek Turner wrote:

    >>> Trying to install it using WHAT? to which flavour and release of
    >>> *ubuntu I'm guessing (but only guessing) you've done something like
    >>> System>Administartion>Printing and clicked 'New Printer' which has
    >>> started the 'Add new printer' wizard? Please be a lot more specific
    >>> about the distro you are using and the exact procedure you are
    >>> following and the exact text (and context) of any error messages.
    >>>
    >>> Try typing localhost:631 into the address bar of your favourite
    >>> browser to deal with CUPS directly. You can install the printer from
    >>> the browser following the onscreen instructions as the photosmart
    >>> 3100 is one of the listed printers in CUPS. By the way, you DO have
    >>> CUPS installed do you? You might not have if this is the first
    >>> printer you have added!

    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> I am trying to install a new printer with ubuntu 7.04 using
    >> System>Administartion>Printing and clicked 'New Printer' which has
    >> started the 'Add new printer' wizard

    good guess on my part then but in future please remember that people
    in this group use kubuntu, xubuntu, edubuntu and even Mint (my
    favourite) so you do need to be specific :0

    see my other answer sounds like CUPS is either absent or fscked

  10. Re: CUPS Server Error

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > tnt wrote:
    >> Derek Turner wrote:

    >>> Trying to install it using WHAT? to which flavour and release of
    >>> *ubuntu I'm guessing (but only guessing) you've done something like
    >>> System>Administartion>Printing and clicked 'New Printer' which has
    >>> started the 'Add new printer' wizard? Please be a lot more specific
    >>> about the distro you are using and the exact procedure you are
    >>> following and the exact text (and context) of any error messages.
    >>>
    >>> Try typing localhost:631 into the address bar of your favourite
    >>> browser to deal with CUPS directly. You can install the printer from
    >>> the browser following the onscreen instructions as the photosmart
    >>> 3100 is one of the listed printers in CUPS. By the way, you DO have
    >>> CUPS installed do you? You might not have if this is the first
    >>> printer you have added!

    >> How do you install cups?

    > fire up the synaptic package manager and search for cups then mark
    > cupsys and any dependant files for (re)installation. It sound as if you
    > don't have CUPS installed or it's borked. hth.

    reinstalled all the cups stuff and it still did not work...If i buy tech
    support i might as well get a copy of xp. It would be cheaper.

  11. Re: CUPS Server Error

    tnt wrote:

    > reinstalled all the cups stuff and it still did not work...If i buy tech
    > support i might as well get a copy of xp. It would be cheaper.

    I'm really sorry to hear that. Do you have /any/ printers successfully
    installed? Something sounds very 'wrong' for most of us it 'just works'
    IANAE but it sounds as if there's something fundamentally wrong with the
    install. One final question and a recommendation:

    Did you restart the CUPS server after you installed it? (A system
    restart is the best way of making sure all services are restarted). If
    so, what happens when you visit localhost:631? You should get the CUPS
    server's start page. If the server is running, you will!

    Suggestion: before paying for XP, may I strongly recommend this version
    of ubuntu which, if you've been using XP you will find much more familiar:

    www.linuxMint.com it's the stable release Cassandra (not the light, kde
    or X versions) that you need. It comes on a live CD so you can try it,
    and try installing your printer on it, before you install.

    It has a far more familiar menu and control panel and is now my default
    boot!

  12. Re: CUPS Server Error

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:36:37 -0400, tnt wrote:

    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >> tnt wrote:

    SNIP
    >>> How do you install cups?

    >> fire up the synaptic package manager and search for cups then mark
    >> cupsys and any dependant files for (re)installation. It sound as if you
    >> don't have CUPS installed or it's borked. hth.

    > reinstalled all the cups stuff and it still did not work...If i buy tech
    > support i might as well get a copy of xp. It would be cheaper.

    When I first tried to get printers working across the network, there were
    two items in the 'administration/printers' section which looked necessary,
    so I switched them both on (blind faith that something might work - I'm
    very new to linux! 8-). Couldn't get anything to work on any printer.
    Eventually switched one of the options off, and everything worked with no
    problems. Unfortunately I can't remember what these options were, and
    now I'm using the CUPS system, the 'other' option seems to have
    disappeared, so I can't look it up!

    Might be worth a look?

    Keith

  13. Re: CUPS Server Error

    tnt wrote:
    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >> tnt wrote:

    >>> How do you install cups?

    >> fire up the synaptic package manager and search for cups then mark
    >> cupsys and any dependant files for (re)installation. It sound as if
    >> you don't have CUPS installed or it's borked. hth.

    > reinstalled all the cups stuff and it still did not work...If i buy tech
    > support i might as well get a copy of xp. It would be cheaper.

    When running xubuntu 6 lts, my manual:

    Printer: Canon Pixma IP 3000:
    Shell: sudo foomatic-cleanupdrivers
    (Cups got "broken" in going from 1.1 to 1.2, Xubuntu 6 LTS)
    Menu: System: Users and Groups:
    click tab: groups
    select: show all users
    select group: shadow
    click properties
    add user: cupsys to the group
    Shell: sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

    all xubuntu's:
    http://localhost:631/admin/
    Add: Make and Model: Canon PIXMA iP4000 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.0-rc2
    (text, black only) (color screws page make-up up)
    Add: Make and Model: Canon BJC-7000 Foomatic/bjc6000a1.upp (color)

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

+ Reply to Thread