wipe a drive - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on wipe a drive - Ubuntu ; Hi all, Little off topic, but you have always helped in the past. I have a box that has several versions of Ubuntu installed at various times. I am looking for a live disk that will allow me to wipe ...

  1. wipe a drive

    Hi all,

    Little off topic, but you have always helped in the past. I have a box
    that has several versions of Ubuntu installed at various times. I am
    looking for a live disk that will allow me to wipe the drive clean as if
    the thing was brand new. I really don't think that installing one version
    over another completely wipes the old defaults out.

    Any suggestions.

  2. Re: wipe a drive

    frank wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Little off topic, but you have always helped in the past. I have a box
    > that has several versions of Ubuntu installed at various times. I am
    > looking for a live disk that will allow me to wipe the drive clean as if
    > the thing was brand new. I really don't think that installing one version
    > over another completely wipes the old defaults out.
    >
    > Any suggestions.

    Go to the hard drive manufacturer's web site and download the floppy or
    CD they have for wiping their drives. It's free.

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  3. Re: wipe a drive

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:17:36 -0500, frank wrote:
    > I am
    > looking for a live disk that will allow me to wipe the drive clean as if
    > the thing was brand new.

    Darik's Boot and Nuke:

    http://dban.sourceforge.net/

  4. Re: wipe a drive

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:17:36 -0500, frank wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Little off topic, but you have always helped in the past. I have a box
    > that has several versions of Ubuntu installed at various times. I am
    > looking for a live disk that will allow me to wipe the drive clean as if
    > the thing was brand new. I really don't think that installing one version
    > over another completely wipes the old defaults out.
    >
    > Any suggestions.

    A live cd should have shred. Boot, then type in a teminal,

    shred -z hda

    This will write random data to the disk, then fill it with zeros. Replace
    hda with the disk you are talking about. Or if you just want to zero out a
    disk without writing random data first, much faster. Also shred may not be
    on your live cd, but dd is for sure.

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

    I think that might work.

    stonerfish

  5. Re: wipe a drive

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:17:36 -0500, frank wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Little off topic, but you have always helped in the past. I have a box
    > that has several versions of Ubuntu installed at various times. I am
    > looking for a live disk that will allow me to wipe the drive clean as if
    > the thing was brand new. I really don't think that installing one version
    > over another completely wipes the old defaults out.

    Sure it does. A clean install formats the partitions before starting. The
    old data is still recoverable by forensics experts, but does that matter?

    > Any suggestions.

  6. Re: wipe a drive

    ray wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:17:36 -0500, frank wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Little off topic, but you have always helped in the past. I have a box
    >> that has several versions of Ubuntu installed at various times. I am
    >> looking for a live disk that will allow me to wipe the drive clean as if
    >> the thing was brand new. I really don't think that installing one version
    >> over another completely wipes the old defaults out.

    > Sure it does. A clean install formats the partitions before starting. The
    > old data is still recoverable by forensics experts, but does that matter?
    >

    >> Any suggestions.

    dos-like solution:
    http://www.killdisk.com/eraser.htm
    I burned the "floppy on cd," by the way, that did work ...

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  7. Re: wipe a drive

    On 2007-09-14, frank wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Little off topic, but you have always helped in the past. I have a box
    > that has several versions of Ubuntu installed at various times. I am
    > looking for a live disk that will allow me to wipe the drive clean as if
    > the thing was brand new. I really don't think that installing one version
    > over another completely wipes the old defaults out.
    >
    > Any suggestions.

    Reformat all the partitions and nothing will be left of any old OS.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  8. Re: wipe a drive

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:17:36 -0500, frank wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Little off topic, but you have always helped in the past. I have a box
    >that has several versions of Ubuntu installed at various times. I am
    >looking for a live disk that will allow me to wipe the drive clean as if
    >the thing was brand new. I really don't think that installing one version
    >over another completely wipes the old defaults out.

    >Any suggestions.

    Boot any LiveCD, make sure the drive is unmounted, and issue the command:

    cat /dev/zero > /dev/hda (or sda, if appropriate)

  9. Re: wipe a drive

    On 2007-09-14, Mark South wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:17:36 -0500, frank wrote:
    >> I am
    >> looking for a live disk that will allow me to wipe the drive clean as if
    >> the thing was brand new.

    > Darik's Boot and Nuke:
    >
    > http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    I'd second the idea of using DBAN. You can set it for as many passes
    as you wish. One to three passes will effectively give you a
    "bare-metal" wipe. Or go to seven passes for a D.O.D. level of wipe
    security. Be advised that the more passes you write the longer the
    cleaning process will be.
    --
    Cheerio and all that,
    Kurt