Need to learn troubleshooting in Linux - Firefox crashing - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Need to learn troubleshooting in Linux - Firefox crashing - Ubuntu ; Well the Fox was working fine until I tried to install the Rhapsody player plug-in. Now it's crashing on many sites, complete and instant closing of all Fox windows. Where should I begin in troubleshooting this issue? I'm not seeing ...

  1. Need to learn troubleshooting in Linux - Firefox crashing

    Well the Fox was working fine until I tried to install the Rhapsody player
    plug-in. Now it's crashing on many sites, complete and instant closing of
    all Fox windows.

    Where should I begin in troubleshooting this issue? I'm not seeing
    anything particularly informative in the logs.

    As I was writing this message I went to check out that Firefox
    preferences, and that was enough to crash the browser.

    --
    Mutant Bluegrass That Rocks
    http://www.thepickadillos.com

  2. Re: Need to learn troubleshooting in Linux - Firefox crashing

    Steve Harder-Kucera a écrit :
    > Well the Fox was working fine until I tried to install the Rhapsody player
    > plug-in. Now it's crashing on many sites, complete and instant closing of
    > all Fox windows.
    >
    > Where should I begin in troubleshooting this issue? I'm not seeing
    > anything particularly informative in the logs.
    >
    > As I was writing this message I went to check out that Firefox
    > preferences, and that was enough to crash the browser.

    You mean the logs when you start firefox with console ?
    Cause these logs can be useful.

  3. Re: Need to learn troubleshooting in Linux - Firefox crashing

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:35:32 +0200, julien wrote (Brilliantly I might
    add):

    > You mean the logs when you start firefox with console ?
    > Cause these logs can be useful.

    Thanks. That did it.

    Here is what I get when I visit a page with flash:

    ** Message: GetValue variable 1 (1)
    ** Message: GetValue variable 2 (2)
    ** Message: GetValue variable 1 (1)
    ** Message: GetValue variable 2 (2)
    ** Message: GetValue variable 1 (1)
    ** Message: GetValue variable 2 (2)
    ** Message: GetValue variable 1 (1)
    ** Message: GetValue variable 2 (2)
    Bus error (core dumped)

    I've been googling "ubuntu firefox flash crash" but it's a pain with a
    browser that keeps dying.

    Any ideas? It happened right after I installed a plug-in for Rhapsody, and
    action I would like to reverse.

    --
    Mutant Bluegrass That Rocks
    http://www.thepickadillos.com

  4. Re: Need to learn troubleshooting in Linux - Firefox crashing

    * Steve Harder-Kucera wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:35:32 +0200, julien wrote (Brilliantly I might
    > add):

    >> You mean the logs when you start firefox with console ?
    >> Cause these logs can be useful.

    > Thanks. That did it.

    > Here is what I get when I visit a page with flash:

    > ** Message: GetValue variable 1 (1)
    > ** Message: GetValue variable 2 (2)
    > ** Message: GetValue variable 1 (1)
    > ** Message: GetValue variable 2 (2)
    > ** Message: GetValue variable 1 (1)
    > ** Message: GetValue variable 2 (2)
    > ** Message: GetValue variable 1 (1)
    > ** Message: GetValue variable 2 (2)
    > Bus error (core dumped)

    > I've been googling "ubuntu firefox flash crash" but it's a pain with a
    > browser that keeps dying.

    > Any ideas? It happened right after I installed a plug-in for Rhapsody, and
    > action I would like to reverse.

    look in:

    ~/.mozilla/plugins

    and if the Rhapsody plugin is in there, rename it and try again.

    --
    David
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

    Q: How many WASPs does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: One.

  5. Re: Need to learn troubleshooting in Linux - Firefox crashing

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 16:19:53 +0000, SINNER wrote (Brilliantly I might
    add):

    > look in:
    >
    > ~/.mozilla/plugins
    >
    > and if the Rhapsody plugin is in there, rename it and try again.

    No sign of a Rhapsody plugin, nor any file with rhapsody on my system.
    However, I moved all the flash plugin files to a different directory and
    everything seems to be all fixed now. I'll re-install the flash plugin and
    hope for the best.

    Thanks.

    --
    Mutant Bluegrass That Rocks
    http://www.thepickadillos.com

  6. Re: Need to learn troubleshooting in Linux - Firefox crashing

    Steve Harder-Kucera a écrit :
    > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 16:19:53 +0000, SINNER wrote (Brilliantly I might
    > add):
    >
    >> look in:
    >>
    >> ~/.mozilla/plugins
    >>
    >> and if the Rhapsody plugin is in there, rename it and try again.

    > No sign of a Rhapsody plugin, nor any file with rhapsody on my system.
    > However, I moved all the flash plugin files to a different directory and
    > everything seems to be all fixed now. I'll re-install the flash plugin and
    > hope for the best.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I just quote from a forum, this solution worked for someone on it who
    had try to uninstall firefox :

    "try moving the ~/.mozilla/firefox/ directory somewhere so it's
    recreated when firefox starts. If that works then you can at least get
    your bookmarks back by copying the old ~/.mozilla/firefox/(some random
    stuff).default/bookmarks.html to the new directory."

  7. Re: Need to learn troubleshooting in Linux - Firefox crashing

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 19:07:30 +0200, julien wrote:

    > Steve Harder-Kucera a écrit :
    >> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 16:19:53 +0000, SINNER wrote (Brilliantly I might
    >> add):
    >>
    >>> look in:
    >>>
    >>> ~/.mozilla/plugins
    >>>
    >>> and if the Rhapsody plugin is in there, rename it and try again.

    >> No sign of a Rhapsody plugin, nor any file with rhapsody on my system.
    >> However, I moved all the flash plugin files to a different directory
    >> and everything seems to be all fixed now. I'll re-install the flash
    >> plugin and hope for the best.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > I just quote from a forum, this solution worked for someone on it who
    > had try to uninstall firefox :
    >
    > "try moving the ~/.mozilla/firefox/ directory somewhere so it's
    > recreated when firefox starts. If that works then you can at least get
    > your bookmarks back by copying the old ~/.mozilla/firefox/(some random
    > stuff).default/bookmarks.html to the new directory."

    I have had problems with FireFox, and have had to do the following:

    Edit /usr/lib/firefox/firefox, and add the following:
    "export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1"

    I was crashing upon visiting sites like yahoo, and the above fixed it.

+ Reply to Thread