Ubuntu on Dell I7K and embedded linux development - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu on Dell I7K and embedded linux development - Ubuntu ; Today I have Ubuntu running on my Dell Inspiron 7000. Its an older machine, but I need to start somewhere. As I am looking to do embedded linux development with this machine. I would like to know if there are ...

  1. Ubuntu on Dell I7K and embedded linux development

    Today I have Ubuntu running on my Dell Inspiron 7000.

    Its an older machine, but I need to start somewhere.

    As I am looking to do embedded linux development with this machine.

    I would like to know if there are any sites about different editors
    available.

    I have been goggle-ing for such, but its like a fire hose.

    Way more that I can sort through.

    Thanks for any insight.

    don

  2. Re: Ubuntu on Dell I7K and embedded linux development

    Donald writes:

    > Today I have Ubuntu running on my Dell Inspiron 7000.
    >
    > Its an older machine, but I need to start somewhere.
    >
    > As I am looking to do embedded linux development with this machine.
    >
    > I would like to know if there are any sites about different editors
    > available.
    >
    > I have been goggle-ing for such, but its like a fire hose.
    >
    > Way more that I can sort through.
    >
    > Thanks for any insight.
    >
    > don

    For programmer's editors then Emacs or Vim.

    Emacs is far and away superior to Vim though if you put the effort in to
    learn it thoroughly.

    --
    Un principio no puede ser producido, pues, si lo fuera, dejarÃ*a de ser
    principio.

  3. Re: Ubuntu on Dell I7K and embedded linux development

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:33:45 -0600, Donald wrote:

    > Today I have Ubuntu running on my Dell Inspiron 7000.
    >
    > Its an older machine, but I need to start somewhere.
    >
    > As I am looking to do embedded linux development with this machine.
    >
    > I would like to know if there are any sites about different editors
    > available.

    My personal editor of choice is Eclipse with CDT 4.0. Unlike vim, it does
    not require a degree in nuclear physics to use. Average human beings can
    understand it.

    www.eclipse.org

    Note: While eclipse is also available via the repositories, I recommend
    not using the repository version but getting the latest from the eclipse
    website instead. It is far superior to the current version in the Ubuntu
    repositories.

    You will need the sun-java6-jre package installed to use it.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  4. Re: Ubuntu on Dell I7K and embedded linux development

    Stephan Rose writes:

    > On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:33:45 -0600, Donald wrote:
    >
    >> Today I have Ubuntu running on my Dell Inspiron 7000.
    >>
    >> Its an older machine, but I need to start somewhere.
    >>
    >> As I am looking to do embedded linux development with this machine.
    >>
    >> I would like to know if there are any sites about different editors
    >> available.
    >>

    > My personal editor of choice is Eclipse with CDT 4.0. Unlike vim, it does
    > not require a degree in nuclear physics to use. Average human beings can
    > understand it.
    >
    > www.eclipse.org
    >
    > Note: While eclipse is also available via the repositories, I recommend
    > not using the repository version but getting the latest from the eclipse
    > website instead. It is far superior to the current version in the Ubuntu
    > repositories.
    >
    > You will need the sun-java6-jre package installed to use it.

    The only reason I dont recommend eclipse to many is that it's GUI
    only. Something like emacs gives pretty good development debugging tools in full
    screen too. Only one set of keys to learn.

    But yes, eclipse is nice. And certainly easier to use than emacs.

    --
    La experiencia es algo que se consigue cuando ya no se necesita.

  5. Re: Ubuntu on Dell I7K and embedded linux development

    Hadron wrote:
    > Stephan Rose writes:
    >

    >>On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:33:45 -0600, Donald wrote:
    >>

    >>>Today I have Ubuntu running on my Dell Inspiron 7000.
    >>>
    >>>Its an older machine, but I need to start somewhere.
    >>>
    >>>As I am looking to do embedded linux development with this machine.
    >>>
    >>>I would like to know if there are any sites about different editors
    >>>available.
    >>>

    >>My personal editor of choice is Eclipse with CDT 4.0. Unlike vim, it does
    >>not require a degree in nuclear physics to use. Average human beings can
    >>understand it.
    >>
    >>www.eclipse.org
    >>
    >>Note: While eclipse is also available via the repositories, I recommend
    >>not using the repository version but getting the latest from the eclipse
    >>website instead. It is far superior to the current version in the Ubuntu
    >>repositories.
    >>
    >>You will need the sun-java6-jre package installed to use it.

    > The only reason I dont recommend eclipse to many is that it's GUI
    > only. Something like emacs gives pretty good development debugging tools in full
    > screen too. Only one set of keys to learn.
    >
    > But yes, eclipse is nice. And certainly easier to use than emacs.

    A friend says that Eclipse and Java6 will bog down the P2 in this Dell.

    What do you (all) think.

    don

  6. Re: Ubuntu on Dell I7K and embedded linux development

    On 2007-09-14, Stephan Rose wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:33:45 -0600, Donald wrote:
    >
    >> Today I have Ubuntu running on my Dell Inspiron 7000.
    >>
    >> Its an older machine, but I need to start somewhere.
    >>
    >> As I am looking to do embedded linux development with this machine.
    >>
    >> I would like to know if there are any sites about different editors
    >> available.
    >>

    > My personal editor of choice is Eclipse with CDT 4.0. Unlike vim, it does
    > not require a degree in nuclear physics to use. Average human beings can
    > understand it.
    >
    > www.eclipse.org
    >
    > Note: While eclipse is also available via the repositories, I recommend
    > not using the repository version but getting the latest from the eclipse
    > website instead. It is far superior to the current version in the Ubuntu
    > repositories.
    >
    > You will need the sun-java6-jre package installed to use it.

    I use Eclipse Europa for all my dev work on Linux. I use the Aptana
    plugins for html and Ruby. It's a little bit piggish on memory, but
    aside from that, it works like a charm.

    --
    PSK - RLU 452647 http://improve-usenet.org
    Killing GG and Supernews now on Ubuntu, Vista and XP

  7. Re: Ubuntu on Dell I7K and embedded linux development

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:06:36 -0600, Donald wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Stephan Rose writes:

    >>>My personal editor of choice is Eclipse with CDT 4.0. Unlike vim, it does
    >>>not require a degree in nuclear physics to use. Average human beings can
    >>>understand it.
    >>>
    >>>www.eclipse.org
    >>>
    >>>Note: While eclipse is also available via the repositories, I recommend
    >>>not using the repository version but getting the latest from the eclipse
    >>>website instead. It is far superior to the current version in the Ubuntu
    >>>repositories.
    >>>
    >>>You will need the sun-java6-jre package installed to use it.

    >> The only reason I dont recommend eclipse to many is that it's GUI
    >> only. Something like emacs gives pretty good development debugging tools in full
    >> screen too. Only one set of keys to learn.
    >>
    >> But yes, eclipse is nice. And certainly easier to use than emacs.
    >>

    > A friend says that Eclipse and Java6 will bog down the P2 in this Dell.
    >
    > What do you (all) think.

    A P2!?!?

    Yes I can see Eclipse and Java 6 giving a P2 some work to do...

    Eclipse is a wonderful IDE, but it's probably a bit heavy for a P2.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  8. Re: Ubuntu on Dell I7K and embedded linux development

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:06:36 -0600, Donald wrote:
    >

    >>Hadron wrote:

    >>>The only reason I dont recommend eclipse to many is that it's GUI
    >>>only. Something like emacs gives pretty good development debugging tools in full
    >>>screen too. Only one set of keys to learn.
    >>>
    >>>But yes, eclipse is nice. And certainly easier to use than emacs.
    >>>

    >>A friend says that Eclipse and Java6 will bog down the P2 in this Dell.
    >>
    >>What do you (all) think.

    > A P2!?!?

    P2|333Mhz|384Mram

    > Yes I can see Eclipse and Java 6 giving a P2 some work to do...
    >
    > Eclipse is a wonderful IDE, but it's probably a bit heavy for a P2.

    Are there any other IDEs that has a look-n-feel of Eclipse, but is not
    written in Java.

    Thanks

    Don

  9. Re: Ubuntu on Dell I7K and embedded linux development

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 05:30:03 -0600, Donald wrote:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:

    >>>A friend says that Eclipse and Java6 will bog down the P2 in this Dell.
    >>>
    >>>What do you (all) think.

    >> A P2!?!?

    > P2|333Mhz|384Mram

    My video card has more RAM than that. =)

    >> Yes I can see Eclipse and Java 6 giving a P2 some work to do...
    >>
    >> Eclipse is a wonderful IDE, but it's probably a bit heavy for a P2.
    >>

    > Are there any other IDEs that has a look-n-feel of Eclipse, but is not
    > written in Java.

    You can look into KDevelop or Anjuta but neither are, in my opinion
    anyway, nearly as nice as Eclipse. But, they don't use Java.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは