AMD open source ATi's graphics driver. Which driver to use now? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on AMD open source ATi's graphics driver. Which driver to use now? - Ubuntu ; Given the good news about ATi's drivers going open source, which driver would I be best choosing now in linux for my Radeon 9800? The fglrx one (this is the closed-source one) or the ati one? I assume the ati ...

  1. AMD open source ATi's graphics driver. Which driver to use now?

    Given the good news about ATi's drivers going open source,
    which driver would I be best choosing now in linux for my Radeon 9800?
    The fglrx one (this is the closed-source one) or the ati one?
    I assume the ati one is the one that is going to start getting the new
    open sourced code integrated into it? Or are they going to create a new
    driver from scratch with a new name?

    --
    -Toby

  2. Re: AMD open source ATi's graphics driver. Which driver to use now?

    Toby Newman wrote:
    > Given the good news about ATi's drivers going open source,
    > which driver would I be best choosing now in linux for my Radeon 9800?
    > The fglrx one (this is the closed-source one) or the ati one?
    > I assume the ati one is the one that is going to start getting the new
    > open sourced code integrated into it? Or are they going to create a new
    > driver from scratch with a new name?

    If you want to run any 3d applications or games, or use the desktop
    effects then the FGLRX driver would be the choice.

    The current ATI drivers support for 3d is not very good.

    The new drivers probably won't be ready for at least 6 months maybe
    even a year.

  3. Re: AMD open source ATi's graphics driver. Which driver to use now?

    Toby Newman wrote thus:
    > Given the good news about ATi's drivers going open source,
    > which driver would I be best choosing now in linux for my Radeon 9800?
    > The fglrx one (this is the closed-source one) or the ati one?
    > I assume the ati one is the one that is going to start getting the new
    > open sourced code integrated into it? Or are they going to create a new
    > driver from scratch with a new name?

    The new 8.41.7 was released on the 12th Sept:

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=833&num=1

    but I would wait for .42 or even .43

    --
    Steve

    If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to
    say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
    - George Carlin

  4. Re: AMD open source ATi's graphics driver. Which driver to use now?

    Toby Newman wrote:
    > Given the good news about ATi's drivers going open source,
    > which driver would I be best choosing now in linux for my Radeon 9800?
    > The fglrx one (this is the closed-source one) or the ati one?
    > I assume the ati one is the one that is going to start getting the new
    > open sourced code integrated into it? Or are they going to create a new
    > driver from scratch with a new name?

    I second the chose to wait until the next release. AMD has said that
    the next release will have support for AIGLX. Right now the only driver
    to support AIGLX is the "radeon" open source driver.

+ Reply to Thread