Ubuntu compatible scanner? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu compatible scanner? - Ubuntu ; I was wondering, please, what (cheap) scanners you all use with Ubuntu Feisty? I find myself needing to be able to scan basic A4 text, and transfer to Open Office for formatting, nothing complicated. To keep the price to a ...

  1. Ubuntu compatible scanner?

    I was wondering, please, what (cheap) scanners you all use with Ubuntu
    Feisty?
    I find myself needing to be able to scan basic A4 text, and transfer to
    Open Office for formatting, nothing complicated. To keep the price to a
    minimum, I am looking at the Mustek range here in the UK, but I don't
    really know, as I am getting lost at the Sane compatibility site!.

    So, I would really appreciate some personal recommendations that work out
    of the box for what I need to do. Anyone able to give me guidance please?

    Tony(UK
    (Possibly the longest Ubuntu newbie known to man)

  2. Re: Ubuntu compatible scanner?

    Tony Smith wrote:
    > I was wondering, please, what (cheap) scanners you all use with Ubuntu
    > Feisty?
    > I find myself needing to be able to scan basic A4 text, and transfer to
    > Open Office for formatting, nothing complicated. To keep the price to a
    > minimum, I am looking at the Mustek range here in the UK, but I don't
    > really know, as I am getting lost at the Sane compatibility site!.
    >
    > So, I would really appreciate some personal recommendations that work out
    > of the box for what I need to do. Anyone able to give me guidance please?
    >
    > Tony(UK
    > (Possibly the longest Ubuntu newbie known to man)

    http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html

  3. Re: Ubuntu compatible scanner?

    Tony Smith wrote:
    > I was wondering, please, what (cheap) scanners you all use with Ubuntu
    > Feisty?
    > I find myself needing to be able to scan basic A4 text, and transfer to
    > Open Office for formatting, nothing complicated. To keep the price to a
    > minimum, I am looking at the Mustek range here in the UK, but I don't
    > really know, as I am getting lost at the Sane compatibility site!.
    >
    > So, I would really appreciate some personal recommendations that work out
    > of the box for what I need to do. Anyone able to give me guidance please?

    IME OCR in linux really is horrendous. It's one of the few things I
    still use WinXP for. YMMV and I'd be glad to hear of any half-way decent
    OCR apps, the one in Kooka sucks.

  4. Re: Ubuntu compatible scanner?

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:01:05 +0000, Tony Smith wrote:

    > I was wondering, please, what (cheap) scanners you all use with Ubuntu
    > Feisty?
    > I find myself needing to be able to scan basic A4 text, and transfer to
    > Open Office for formatting, nothing complicated. To keep the price to a
    > minimum, I am looking at the Mustek range here in the UK, but I don't
    > really know, as I am getting lost at the Sane compatibility site!.
    >
    > So, I would really appreciate some personal recommendations that work out
    > of the box for what I need to do. Anyone able to give me guidance please?
    >
    > Tony(UK
    > (Possibly the longest Ubuntu newbie known to man)

    I find the best Linux scanner support to be: Epson. Visit
    www.avasys.jp/english for information of specific models. I've had very
    good experience with the Epson online store - they have excellent prices
    for refurb units. You will most likely need to download a driver from
    avasys. HP support is also quite good.

    You should also be aware that the state of the art in OCR (optical
    character recognition) is not really that good. You can expect about
    90-95% accuracy which still means you'll spend a LOT of time proofreading.

  5. Re: Ubuntu compatible scanner?

    In <5kql27F5121iU1@mid.individual.net> Derek Turner:

    [Snip...]

    > I'd be glad to hear of any half-way decent OCR apps

    FWIW...

    I haven't used any OCR myself, but Tesseract gets a decent review in this
    Linux Journal article:

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9676

    YMMV; HTH...

  6. Re: Ubuntu compatible scanner?

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:01:05 +0000, Tony Smith wrote:

    > I was wondering, please, what (cheap) scanners you all use with Ubuntu
    > Feisty?
    > I find myself needing to be able to scan basic A4 text, and transfer to
    > Open Office for formatting, nothing complicated. To keep the price to a
    > minimum, I am looking at the Mustek range here in the UK, but I don't
    > really know, as I am getting lost at the Sane compatibility site!.
    >
    > So, I would really appreciate some personal recommendations that work
    > out of the box for what I need to do. Anyone able to give me guidance
    > please?
    >
    > Tony(UK
    > (Possibly the longest Ubuntu newbie known to man)

    An HP All in One will give you printing, scanning, coping and FAX in a
    single device. HPs are completely supported under Linux.

  7. Re: Ubuntu compatible scanner?

    Tony Smith wrote:

    support for Linux>

    > Tony(UK
    > (Possibly the longest Ubuntu newbie known to man)

    Hey, you can't take on that title. I'm sure I've been using Ubuntu a lot
    longer than you have and still feel like a newbie. :-)

    Cheers.

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  8. Re: Ubuntu compatible scanner?

    Harold Stevens wrote:
    > In <5kql27F5121iU1@mid.individual.net> Derek Turner:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> I'd be glad to hear of any half-way decent OCR apps

    > FWIW...
    >
    > I haven't used any OCR myself, but Tesseract gets a decent review in this
    > Linux Journal article:
    >
    > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9676
    >
    > YMMV; HTH...

    Thanks for that. Until it comes wrapped in a GUI, in a .deb and fully
    equipped with wizards, ability to recognize tables and columns etc. I
    think I'll stick to Abby Finereader Pro under WinXP: it came free on a
    cover disk and does all the forgoing with astonishing accuracy! OTOH I
    might just see if I can run it in wine - but I guess TWAIN would be the
    stumbling block.

  9. Re: Ubuntu compatible scanner?

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:17:09 -0600, ray wrote:

    > You should also be aware that the state of the art in OCR (optical
    > character recognition) is not really that good. You can expect
    > about 90-95% accuracy which still means you'll spend a LOT of
    > time proofreading.

    Eh? You should get much better than that. Maybe your scanner bed is
    dirty or the lamp is getting dim?

    --
    Chris Game

    "Some software or hardware problem no doubt," -- Grimly Fiendish

  10. Re: Ubuntu compatible scanner?

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:29:52 +0100, Derek Turner wrote:

    > Abby Finereader Pro under WinXP: it came free on a
    > cover disk and does all the forgoing with astonishing accuracy!

    Yes it's pretty good, and hands over the results to MS-Word pretty
    well too. Never tried it under Wine though.

    --
    Chris Game

    By God, for a moment there it all made sense...

  11. Re: Ubuntu compatible scanner?

    Tony Smith wrote:

    > I was wondering, please, what (cheap) scanners you all use with Ubuntu
    > Feisty?
    > I find myself needing to be able to scan basic A4 text, and transfer to
    > Open Office for formatting, nothing complicated. To keep the price to a
    > minimum, I am looking at the Mustek range here in the UK, but I don't
    > really know, as I am getting lost at the Sane compatibility site!.
    >
    > So, I would really appreciate some personal recommendations that work out
    > of the box for what I need to do. Anyone able to give me guidance please?
    >
    > Tony(UK
    > (Possibly the longest Ubuntu newbie known to man)

    Just bought ourselves a Brother DCP-330C, all-in-one printer/scanner. You'll
    need to install some drivers from Brother's website to get printer and
    scanner working under linux, but that's just a matter of installing 3 .deb
    files. Printer and scanner work really well and it was very cheap to buy:
    only €80.

    Good luck,
    Marc
    --
    MarineYacht Yacht Charters
    www.MarineYacht.com

  12. Re: Ubuntu compatible scanner?

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:34:32 +0100, Chris Game wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:17:09 -0600, ray wrote:
    >
    >> You should also be aware that the state of the art in OCR (optical
    >> character recognition) is not really that good. You can expect
    >> about 90-95% accuracy which still means you'll spend a LOT of
    >> time proofreading.

    > Eh? You should get much better than that. Maybe your scanner bed is
    > dirty or the lamp is getting dim?

    None of the above. All in prime working order. I've never seen much better
    than that with any scanner, any OS, any software.

  13. Re: Ubuntu compatible scanner?

    >> You should also be aware that the state of the art in OCR (optical
    >> character recognition) is not really that good. You can expect
    >> about 90-95% accuracy which still means you'll spend a LOT of
    >> time proofreading.

    > Eh? You should get much better than that. Maybe your scanner bed is
    > dirty or the lamp is getting dim?

    You should get much, much better than that if the scanned page is clean and
    properly placed on the bed. We have scanned in stuff on Epson Perfection
    2400 and I saw only one error in several pages of printed material. Most
    errors are due to not being able to recognize the number "1" for the lower
    case L, i.e.,"l". Resolution plays a role here.

    In order to get tables and column right you may need some more expensive
    OCR software such as OmniPage, but that is not open source. Really is going
    to be dependent on how much you need to scan.

+ Reply to Thread