Static IP - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Static IP - Ubuntu ; I had Feisty running well on an old AMD K7 550. Decided to try Gusty. Didn't work. So i went back to Feisty. Now the only way I can connect to the internet is with DHCP enabled. I use to ...

  1. Static IP

    I had Feisty running well on an old AMD K7 550. Decided to try Gusty.
    Didn't work. So i went back to Feisty. Now the only way I can connect to
    the internet is with DHCP enabled. I use to Have everything set up
    Static IP. So now I'm not connecting to the rest of my LAN. Why did it
    work the first time but not now? I really want Static.
    The second weird thing is that can only find this newsgroup on my Linux
    machine. Same ISP using TB2 and my Win box will not show this newsgroup
    as being available?????????
    caver1

  2. Re: Static IP

    On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:40:43 -0400
    caver wrote:

    > I had Feisty running well on an old AMD K7 550. Decided to try Gusty.
    > Didn't work. So i went back to Feisty. Now the only way I can connect
    > to the internet is with DHCP enabled. I use to Have everything set up
    > Static IP. So now I'm not connecting to the rest of my LAN. Why did
    > it work the first time but not now? I really want Static.
    > The second weird thing is that can only find this newsgroup on my
    > Linux machine. Same ISP using TB2 and my Win box will not show this
    > newsgroup as being available?????????
    > caver1

    Hi
    Edit your /etc/network/interfaces like so;
    # The primary network interface
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

    Make sure the resolvconf program is not installed and edit your
    /etc/resolv.conf like so;
    nameserver
    nameserver
    search

    Check your /etc/nsswitch.conf file to ensure the hosts: line includes
    dns like so;
    hosts: files dns

    Update your /etc/hosts file to include the static ip's and friendly
    names on your local network. If you have a local FQDN then add that to
    the friendly names as well like so;

    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxx

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)

  3. Re: Static IP

    Malcolm wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:40:43 -0400
    > caver wrote:
    >
    >> I had Feisty running well on an old AMD K7 550. Decided to try Gusty.
    >> Didn't work. So i went back to Feisty. Now the only way I can connect
    >> to the internet is with DHCP enabled. I use to Have everything set up
    >> Static IP. So now I'm not connecting to the rest of my LAN. Why did
    >> it work the first time but not now? I really want Static.
    >> The second weird thing is that can only find this newsgroup on my
    >> Linux machine. Same ISP using TB2 and my Win box will not show this
    >> newsgroup as being available?????????
    >> caver1

    > Hi
    > Edit your /etc/network/interfaces like so;
    > # The primary network interface
    > auto eth0
    > iface eth0 inet static
    > address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    > netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    > gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    >
    > Make sure the resolvconf program is not installed and edit your
    > /etc/resolv.conf like so;
    > nameserver
    > nameserver
    > search
    >
    > Check your /etc/nsswitch.conf file to ensure the hosts: line includes
    > dns like so;
    > hosts: files dns
    >
    > Update your /etc/hosts file to include the static ip's and friendly
    > names on your local network. If you have a local FQDN then add that to
    > the friendly names as well like so;
    >
    > xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxx

    Thanks worked great. Turned out that the /etc/network/interfaces files
    had the addresses all wrong.
    caver1

+ Reply to Thread