Ping Moog - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ping Moog - Ubuntu ; I was able to get back to the condition I was in before I began moving partitions so I am stepping back and looking at it again, knowing I can restore (likely). I have a couple of questions. In the ...

  1. Ping Moog

    I was able to get back to the condition I was in before I began moving
    partitions so I am stepping back and looking at it again, knowing I can
    restore (likely).
    I have a couple of questions.
    In the beginning - I made 2 partitions and copied and moved my OS from
    the first to the second. I set the flags to boot for the second one and
    erased the partition at the front of the drive. I could not re boot to
    the OS on the HD. Question is,IS it possible to boot to the second
    partition when the first is blank? I also tried formatting the blank one
    and trying again with no success. I also tried using Super Grub but if
    what I'm attempting is not workable then nothing I do, can make it so.

    At the moment I have my original OS on 2 partitions, the first and
    second, (3rd is still unassigned). I had the 1st partition as boot and
    it worked ok. Then I set the second as boot and it booted to that one,
    Considering what happened before with boot as second and nothing in
    first partition, does this makes sense? This time there IS something in
    the first although it is booting to the second
    What I'm trying to do is get a basic understanding of what I can and
    cannot do and then to work within that.
    Thanks again for the help,
    Richard

  2. Re: Ping Moog

    me illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I was able to get back to the condition I was in before I began moving
    > partitions so I am stepping back and looking at it again, knowing I can
    > restore (likely).

    OK. So things didn't go well? I feel that I'm about to find out

    > I have a couple of questions.
    > In the beginning - I made 2 partitions and copied and moved my OS from
    > the first to the second. I set the flags to boot for the second one and
    > erased the partition at the front of the drive. I could not re boot to
    > the OS on the HD. Question is,IS it possible to boot to the second
    > partition when the first is blank? I also tried formatting the blank one
    > and trying again with no success. I also tried using Super Grub but if
    > what I'm attempting is not workable then nothing I do, can make it so.

    You copied Ubuntu to the second partition? The first is empty. Did you
    install windows yet? I think you'd need to do that first before trying
    to reboot. etc....

    > At the moment I have my original OS on 2 partitions, the first and
    > second, (3rd is still unassigned). I had the 1st partition as boot and
    > it worked ok. Then I set the second as boot and it booted to that one,
    > Considering what happened before with boot as second and nothing in
    > first partition, does this makes sense? This time there IS something in
    > the first although it is booting to the second
    > What I'm trying to do is get a basic understanding of what I can and
    > cannot do and then to work within that.
    > Thanks again for the help,
    > Richard

    Sorry Richard, I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve.
    As I understand your original question, you wanted to install windows
    in a dual/triple boot. Yet you have cleared a partition and are yet to
    do this. If you've backed up OK, then install windows as planned and
    then run supergrub. It should pick up all your OS'es then.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  3. Re: Ping Moog

    Moog wrote:
    > me illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I was able to get back to the condition I was in before I began moving
    >> partitions so I am stepping back and looking at it again, knowing I can
    >> restore (likely).

    > OK. So things didn't go well? I feel that I'm about to find out
    >
    >> I have a couple of questions.
    >> In the beginning - I made 2 partitions and copied and moved my OS from
    >> the first to the second. I set the flags to boot for the second one and
    >> erased the partition at the front of the drive. I could not re boot to
    >> the OS on the HD. Question is,IS it possible to boot to the second
    >> partition when the first is blank? I also tried formatting the blank one
    >> and trying again with no success. I also tried using Super Grub but if
    >> what I'm attempting is not workable then nothing I do, can make it so.

    > You copied Ubuntu to the second partition? The first is empty. Did you
    > install windows yet? I think you'd need to do that first before trying
    > to reboot. etc....
    >
    >> At the moment I have my original OS on 2 partitions, the first and
    >> second, (3rd is still unassigned). I had the 1st partition as boot and
    >> it worked ok. Then I set the second as boot and it booted to that one,
    >> Considering what happened before with boot as second and nothing in
    >> first partition, does this makes sense? This time there IS something in
    >> the first although it is booting to the second
    >> What I'm trying to do is get a basic understanding of what I can and
    >> cannot do and then to work within that.
    >> Thanks again for the help,
    >> Richard

    > Sorry Richard, I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve.
    > As I understand your original question, you wanted to install windows
    > in a dual/triple boot. Yet you have cleared a partition and are yet to
    > do this. If you've backed up OK, then install windows as planned and
    > then run supergrub. It should pick up all your OS'es then.

    I think you answered the question :-)
    I thought I was going to verify the copied section (before installing
    windows) by rebooting it when it was in the second partition. I guess I
    need to install windows in the vacated partition before doing that.
    I will do that with little problem as I currently have my OS in both
    partitions. I just need to delete the first and install windows in it
    and then reboot.
    Stay tuned :-) AND Thanks
    Richard

  4. Re: Ping Moog

    me illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > <...>
    > I think you answered the question :-)
    > I thought I was going to verify the copied section (before installing
    > windows) by rebooting it when it was in the second partition. I guess I
    > need to install windows in the vacated partition before doing that.
    > I will do that with little problem as I currently have my OS in both
    > partitions. I just need to delete the first and install windows in it
    > and then reboot.
    > Stay tuned :-) AND Thanks
    > Richard

    Let us know Richard and good luck.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  5. Re: Ping Moog

    me writes:

    > I was able to get back to the condition I was in before I began moving
    > partitions so I am stepping back and looking at it again, knowing I
    > can restore (likely).
    > I have a couple of questions.
    > In the beginning - I made 2 partitions and copied and moved my OS
    > from the first to the second. I set the flags to boot for the second
    > one and erased the partition at the front of the drive. I could not re
    > boot to the OS on the HD. Question is,IS it possible to boot to the
    > second partition when the first is blank? I also tried formatting the

    Yes. You did change grub settings in the mbr?

    You did use "-a" option on the cp in order to maintain ownerships?

    > blank one and trying again with no success. I also tried using Super
    > Grub but if what I'm attempting is not workable then nothing I do, can
    > make it so.
    >
    > At the moment I have my original OS on 2 partitions, the first and
    > second, (3rd is still unassigned). I had the 1st partition as boot and
    > it worked ok. Then I set the second as boot and it booted to that one,
    > Considering what happened before with boot as second and nothing in
    > first partition, does this makes sense? This time there IS something
    > in the first although it is booting to the second
    > What I'm trying to do is get a basic understanding of what I can and
    > cannot do and then to work within that.
    > Thanks again for the help,
    > Richard

    You need to find some beginners guides to boot managers. Google will
    show you the way.

    --
    Was it a bat I saw?
    -- palĂ*ndromo

  6. Re: Ping Moog

    Hadron wrote:
    > me writes:
    >
    >> I was able to get back to the condition I was in before I began moving
    >> partitions so I am stepping back and looking at it again, knowing I
    >> can restore (likely).
    >> I have a couple of questions.
    >> In the beginning - I made 2 partitions and copied and moved my OS
    >> from the first to the second. I set the flags to boot for the second
    >> one and erased the partition at the front of the drive. I could not re
    >> boot to the OS on the HD. Question is,IS it possible to boot to the
    >> second partition when the first is blank? I also tried formatting the

    > Yes. You did change grub settings in the mbr?

    No

    > You did use "-a" option on the cp in order to maintain ownerships?

    No

    >> blank one and trying again with no success. I also tried using Super
    >> Grub but if what I'm attempting is not workable then nothing I do, can
    >> make it so.
    >>
    >> At the moment I have my original OS on 2 partitions, the first and
    >> second, (3rd is still unassigned). I had the 1st partition as boot and
    >> it worked ok. Then I set the second as boot and it booted to that one,
    >> Considering what happened before with boot as second and nothing in
    >> first partition, does this makes sense? This time there IS something
    >> in the first although it is booting to the second
    >> What I'm trying to do is get a basic understanding of what I can and
    >> cannot do and then to work within that.
    >> Thanks again for the help,
    >> Richard

    > You need to find some beginners guides to boot managers. Google will
    > show you the way.

  7. Re: Ping Moog

    Moog wrote:
    > me illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> <...>
    >> I think you answered the question :-)
    >> I thought I was going to verify the copied section (before installing
    >> windows) by rebooting it when it was in the second partition. I guess I
    >> need to install windows in the vacated partition before doing that.
    >> I will do that with little problem as I currently have my OS in both
    >> partitions. I just need to delete the first and install windows in it
    >> and then reboot.
    >> Stay tuned :-) AND Thanks
    >> Richard

    > Let us know Richard and good luck.

    Well, it has been quite a journey :-) ANd it ain't over yet!

    I am back to my original HD and partition.
    All day today I attempted to copy a windows partition from one HD and a
    Linux partition from a different HD to a larger new HD that I hoped to
    have them both on. I came pretty close and in the end, I saw screens I
    didn't know existed and some I shouldn't have and tomorrow or one day
    soon I will put what I learned into trying it again :-)
    Luckily I just bought a couple of 160Gb HDs so I have lots of room to
    maneuver without having to erase the originals.
    Two things that stand out for me is my USB keyboard won't work in Super
    Grub (lucky I had a non usb handy) and the discs have to be unmounted in
    order for them to be worked on in Gparted, and they keep getting mounted
    as I attempted to move and arrange the partitions - very frustrating.
    The other thing is that I have my HDs on pull out racks so I don't have
    to open the case to change drives. That saved me a LOT of time. I can
    put 3 in at a time.
    Richard

  8. Re: Ping Moog

    me illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> me illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >>> <...>
    >>> I think you answered the question :-)
    >>> I thought I was going to verify the copied section (before installing
    >>> windows) by rebooting it when it was in the second partition. I guess I
    >>> need to install windows in the vacated partition before doing that.
    >>> I will do that with little problem as I currently have my OS in both
    >>> partitions. I just need to delete the first and install windows in it
    >>> and then reboot.
    >>> Stay tuned :-) AND Thanks
    >>> Richard

    >> Let us know Richard and good luck.
    >>

    > Well, it has been quite a journey :-) ANd it ain't over yet!
    >
    > I am back to my original HD and partition.

    > All day today I attempted to copy a windows partition from one HD and a
    > Linux partition from a different HD to a larger new HD that I hoped to
    > have them both on. I came pretty close and in the end, I saw screens I
    > didn't know existed and some I shouldn't have and tomorrow or one day
    > soon I will put what I learned into trying it again :-)

    Windows partitions are notoriously difficult to transfer. I've no real
    experience of it, but I know that programs exist to do this.

    > Luckily I just bought a couple of 160Gb HDs so I have lots of room to
    > maneuver without having to erase the originals.

    Nice one. Spare space. Cool. One suggestion, make a fresh install of
    your Ubuntu and move your user data to it. This should eradicate any
    potential user permission problems. Ubuntu forums has many howto's
    regarding this.

    > Two things that stand out for me is my USB keyboard won't work in Super
    > Grub (lucky I had a non usb handy)

    Interesting. Although, I would never have noticed as I don't possess
    one. ;-)

    You could drop a line to the Super Grub team and let them know. They
    may well incorporate this into their next release.

    > and the discs have to be unmounted in
    > order for them to be worked on in Gparted,

    Any serious partition editing needs to be done on unmounted drives.
    Windows partition software (Partition Magic, for instance) doesn't
    tell you this though and just demands you "restart". ;-)

    > and they keep getting mounted
    > as I attempted to move and arrange the partitions - very frustrating.

    It may well be, but is quite neccessary at the same time

    > The other thing is that I have my HDs on pull out racks so I don't have
    > to open the case to change drives. That saved me a LOT of time. I can
    > put 3 in at a time.
    > Richard

    Good stuff. (Note to self: must check out drive caddying)

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

+ Reply to Thread