Dell Dimension 3000 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Dell Dimension 3000 - Ubuntu ; Greetings, I am trying to install Ubuntu on the dell dimension and I get as far as the start menu and then it stops. I can get the help screens and all the Fkeys, I have tried noapic, but when ...

  1. Dell Dimension 3000

    Greetings, I am trying to install Ubuntu on the dell dimension and I get
    as far as the start menu and then it stops. I can get the help screens
    and all the Fkeys, I have tried noapic, but when I try start I get a
    black screen then nothing. Is there any way round this.

    Jaygee

  2. Re: Dell Dimension 3000

    Jaygee wrote:
    > Greetings, I am trying to install Ubuntu on the dell dimension and I get
    > as far as the start menu and then it stops. I can get the help screens
    > and all the Fkeys, I have tried noapic, but when I try start I get a
    > black screen then nothing. Is there any way round this.
    >
    > Jaygee

    I also own a Dell Dimension 3000. When I tried to install
    7.04 it stalled for about 4 minutes on every boot. I have
    since gone on to other distributions. BTW, I had no problems
    with prior Ubuntu distro's.
    -Pete

  3. Re: Dell Dimension 3000

    On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:55:45 +0100, Jaygee wrote:

    > Greetings, I am trying to install Ubuntu on the dell dimension and I get
    > as far as the start menu and then it stops. I can get the help screens
    > and all the Fkeys, I have tried noapic, but when I try start I get a
    > black screen then nothing. Is there any way round this.

    You can try the alternate install CD's text mode installer. That should
    work.

    I've had to use that on another system where the standard LiveCD wouldn't
    completely boot up.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  4. Re: Dell Dimension 3000

    Pete wrote:

    > I also own a Dell Dimension 3000. When I tried to install
    > 7.04 it stalled for about 4 minutes on every boot. I have
    > since gone on to other distributions. BTW, I had no problems
    > with prior Ubuntu distro's.
    > -Pete

    Interesting, I have never waited more than a couple of mins before
    giving the three finger salute. I may try leaving it a bit longer.
    Then again I may try 6.06
    Thanks for the input

    Jaygee

  5. Re: Dell Dimension 3000

    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > You can try the alternate install CD's text mode installer. That should
    > work.

    I have seen mention of the alternate install but I will have to give it
    more thought

    > I've had to use that on another system where the standard LiveCD wouldn't
    > completely boot up.

    Thanks anyway

    Jaygee

  6. Re: Dell Dimension 3000

    On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:49:26 +0100, Jaygee wrote:

    > Pete wrote:
    >
    >> I also own a Dell Dimension 3000. When I tried to install 7.04 it
    >> stalled for about 4 minutes on every boot. I have since gone on to
    >> other distributions. BTW, I had no problems with prior Ubuntu distro's.
    >> -Pete

    > Interesting, I have never waited more than a couple of mins before
    > giving the three finger salute. I may try leaving it a bit longer. Then
    > again I may try 6.06
    > Thanks for the input

    Well one thing you can do is this:

    Install 6.06 (or 6.10 if that live CD works too) and from there, upgrade
    to feisty.

    For 6.06 you'd need to upgrade to 6.10 and then to 7.04.

    If you can install 6.10 right away you can skip one upgrade. =)

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  7. Re: Dell Dimension 3000

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:49:26 +0100, Jaygee wrote:
    >
    >> Pete wrote:

    > Well one thing you can do is this:
    >
    > Install 6.06 (or 6.10 if that live CD works too) and from there, upgrade
    > to feisty.
    >
    > For 6.06 you'd need to upgrade to 6.10 and then to 7.04.
    >
    > If you can install 6.10 right away you can skip one upgrade. =)

    Thank you, I will try it that way.

    Jaygee

  8. Re: Dell Dimension 3000

    On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:55:45 +0100, Jaygee wrote:

    > Greetings, I am trying to install Ubuntu on the dell dimension and I get
    > as far as the start menu and then it stops. I can get the help screens
    > and all the Fkeys, I have tried noapic, but when I try start I get a
    > black screen then nothing. Is there any way round this.
    >
    > Jaygee

    Hi,

    I'm a seasoned Newbie with Ubuntu, but have some thoughts on this problem.
    How much RAM has the 3000 got? If it has 256Mb (which my step-son's has),
    remember that the on-board graphics card takes 64Mb of this, which may
    well take you under the minimum RAM requirements of a standard Ubuntu
    installation perhaps?
    The suggestion and solution is to use the alternate install disc where you
    can get away with not having 256Mb RAM, Xubuntu (Xfce desktop) or buy
    another RAM strip!
    Hope this rambling helps, and good luck!

    Tony(UK)

  9. Re: Dell Dimension 3000

    Tony Smith wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:55:45 +0100, Jaygee wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings,

    > I'm a seasoned Newbie with Ubuntu, but have some thoughts on this problem.
    > How much RAM has the 3000 got? If it has 256Mb (which my step-son's has),
    > remember that the on-board graphics card takes 64Mb of this, which may
    > well take you under the minimum RAM requirements of a standard Ubuntu
    > installation perhaps?
    > The suggestion and solution is to use the alternate install disc where you
    > can get away with not having 256Mb RAM, Xubuntu (Xfce desktop) or buy
    > another RAM strip!
    > Hope this rambling helps, and good luck!

    Thanks for the input Tony, the dell has 1gig ram and a P4 3gzh processor
    with 40gig free disk space. I first thought it must be a block in the
    bios but as others have been successful with similar machines the only
    other problem could be the on board graphics. I will have a look for a
    reasonable PCI card as that is the only slots in there.

    jaygee

  10. Re: Dell Dimension 3000

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:49:26 +0100, Jaygee wrote:
    >
    >> Pete wrote:
    >>
    >>> I also own a Dell Dimension 3000. When I tried to install 7.04 it
    >>> stalled for about 4 minutes on every boot. I have since gone on to
    >>> other distributions. BTW, I had no problems with prior Ubuntu distro's.

    > Well one thing you can do is this:

    > If you can install 6.10 right away you can skip one upgrade. =)

    I managed to install 6.10 but it would not boot from the hard drive. I
    used partition magic and found that the OS seemed to be in place but no
    start. I deleted the partition and tried PCLinux which went in smooth
    and booted fine. Not my distro of choice but it is Linux.

    While in PM I noticed there were two primary partitions (small) on the
    disk. One seems to be Dell Diagnostic and no indication about the other,
    Can they be removed which would allow the use of the four primary
    partitions or do they have a purpose.

    Jaygee

  11. Re: Dell Dimension 3000

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:19:33 +0100, Jaygee wrote:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:

    >> Well one thing you can do is this:

    >> If you can install 6.10 right away you can skip one upgrade. =)

    > I managed to install 6.10 but it would not boot from the hard drive. I
    > used partition magic and found that the OS seemed to be in place but no
    > start. I deleted the partition and tried PCLinux which went in smooth
    > and booted fine. Not my distro of choice but it is Linux.
    >
    > While in PM I noticed there were two primary partitions (small) on the
    > disk. One seems to be Dell Diagnostic and no indication about the other,
    > Can they be removed which would allow the use of the four primary
    > partitions or do they have a purpose.

    Personally I've removed them without any ill effects.

    As far as the no-boot goes, did you try recovery mode? If so, any error
    messages? What were they?

    And when you say it would not boot, what would happen? How far would it
    go?

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  12. Re: Dell Dimension 3000

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:19:33 +0100, Jaygee wrote:

    > While in PM I noticed there were two primary partitions (small) on
    > the disk. One seems to be Dell Diagnostic and no indication about
    > the other, Can they be removed which would allow the use of the
    > four primary partitions or do they have a purpose.

    Well on a Dell, as I'm sure you read on the docs that came with the
    machine, are for the purpose of restoring the machine to factory
    defaults, i.e. restoring the original OS. If you've created new
    partitions that scheme won't work anyway because the partition
    letter for the one holding the image of the original install will
    have changed, and the re-install scripts will fail. If you really
    don't care about this (most don't) just erase them.

    --
    Chris Game

    -- Albert Einstein

  13. Re: Dell Dimension 3000

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:19:33 +0100, Jaygee wrote:
    >
    >> Stephan Rose wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:49:26 +0100, Jaygee wrote:
    >>>

    > Personally I've removed them without any ill effects.

    Thank you, I did a reinstall of XP and it did not ask for any
    authentification
    so I assumed that one of the partitions contained the necessary information.
    I will leave them in place for the moment.

    > As far as the no-boot goes, did you try recovery mode? If so, any error
    > messages? What were they?

    There was just a blank screen, no disk activity, no cursor, no error
    msgs. In short Nowt.
    I waited about five minutes then rebooted with the PartImage disk.

    I still feel it is graphics issue so when I get a PCI card I will try
    again.

    Jaygee

  14. Re: Dell Dimension 3000

    Chris Game wrote:

    > Well on a Dell, as I'm sure you read on the docs that came with the
    > machine, are for the purpose of restoring the machine to factory
    > defaults, i.e. restoring the original OS. If you've created new
    > partitions that scheme won't work anyway because the partition
    > letter for the one holding the image of the original install will
    > have changed, and the re-install scripts will fail. If you really
    > don't care about this (most don't) just erase them.

    Thanks Chris, I thought that must be the case. I burned a recovery disk
    and it installed
    fairly easily with no problems of authenticating so I will leave them in
    place just in case.

    Jaygee

  15. Re: Dell Dimension 3000

    "Jaygee" wrote in message
    > Tony Smith wrote:
    >> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:55:45 +0100, Jaygee wrote:
    >>
    >>> Greetings,

    >> I'm a seasoned Newbie with Ubuntu, but have some thoughts on this
    >> problem.
    >> How much RAM has the 3000 got? If it has 256Mb (which my step-son's has),
    >> remember that the on-board graphics card takes 64Mb of this, which may
    >> well take you under the minimum RAM requirements of a standard Ubuntu
    >> installation perhaps?
    >> The suggestion and solution is to use the alternate install disc where
    >> you
    >> can get away with not having 256Mb RAM, Xubuntu (Xfce desktop) or buy
    >> another RAM strip!
    >> Hope this rambling helps, and good luck!

    > Thanks for the input Tony, the dell has 1gig ram and a P4 3gzh processor
    > with 40gig free disk space. I first thought it must be a block in the bios
    > but as others have been successful with similar machines the only other
    > problem could be the on board graphics. I will have a look for a
    > reasonable PCI card as that is the only slots in there.
    >
    > jaygee

    At least they're cheap. But if it still doesn't work, be sure you can return
    the card.

  16. Re: Dell Dimension 3000

    Pete wrote:
    > "Jaygee" wrote in message
    >> Tony Smith wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:55:45 +0100, Jaygee wrote:

    >> problem could be the on board graphics. I will have a look for a
    >> reasonable PCI card as that is the only slots in there.

    > At least they're cheap. But if it still doesn't work, be sure you can return
    > the card.

    LOL :-) I do a bit of fiddling with older computers so it wont go wrong.
    Apart from that I am an Aberdonian :-)))

    Jaygee

+ Reply to Thread