Different kind of triple boot - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Different kind of triple boot - Ubuntu ; Newbie here - last time I played around with Linux it came on about 23 5 1/4 floppies - Current system dual boots XP Pro & Vista on two partitions of the same physical drive. Current physical drive setup - ...

  1. Different kind of triple boot

    Newbie here - last time I played around with Linux it came on about 23 5 1/4
    floppies -

    Current system dual boots XP Pro & Vista on two partitions of the same
    physical drive. Current physical drive setup - 1 - 320G SATA drive split
    into 3 partitions - XP Pro/Vista/Programs. I Have 2 74G Raptor drives in a
    RAID 0 and I have a 500G drive used mainly for backup.

    I would like to install Ubuntu on a partition on the 500G drive.

    How much trouble will it be to get the boot loader to reference the three
    different locations so that I will maintain 3 separate OS options?

    Which method(program) would be the best to do this?

    Thanx,

    Vic

    --
    There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
    don't

  2. Re: Different kind of triple boot

    Vic Baron wrote:
    > Newbie here - last time I played around with Linux it came on about 23 5 1/4
    > floppies -
    >
    > Current system dual boots XP Pro & Vista on two partitions of the same
    > physical drive. Current physical drive setup - 1 - 320G SATA drive split
    > into 3 partitions - XP Pro/Vista/Programs. I Have 2 74G Raptor drives in a
    > RAID 0 and I have a 500G drive used mainly for backup.
    >
    > I would like to install Ubuntu on a partition on the 500G drive.
    >
    > How much trouble will it be to get the boot loader to reference the three
    > different locations so that I will maintain 3 separate OS options?
    >
    > Which method(program) would be the best to do this?
    >
    > Thanx,
    >
    > Vic

    I guess Grub will take care of that for you. It's installed by default
    when you install Ubuntu.

  3. Re: Different kind of triple boot

    "TomB" wrote in message
    > Vic Baron wrote:
    >> Newbie here - last time I played around with Linux it came on about 23 5
    >> 1/4 floppies -
    >>
    >> Current system dual boots XP Pro & Vista on two partitions of the same
    >> physical drive. Current physical drive setup - 1 - 320G SATA drive split
    >> into 3 partitions - XP Pro/Vista/Programs. I Have 2 74G Raptor drives in
    >> a RAID 0 and I have a 500G drive used mainly for backup.
    >>
    >> I would like to install Ubuntu on a partition on the 500G drive.
    >>
    >> How much trouble will it be to get the boot loader to reference the three
    >> different locations so that I will maintain 3 separate OS options?
    >>
    >> Which method(program) would be the best to do this?
    >>
    >> Thanx,
    >>
    >> Vic
    >>

    > I guess Grub will take care of that for you. It's installed by default
    > when you install Ubuntu.

    OK, that makes sense. I've been reading about GRUB but wasn't sure if it was
    limited to a dual boot situation or not.

    Thanx,

    Vic

  4. Re: Different kind of triple boot

    Vic Baron wrote:
    > Newbie here - last time I played around with Linux it came on about 23 5 1/4
    > floppies -
    >
    > Current system dual boots XP Pro & Vista on two partitions of the same
    > physical drive. Current physical drive setup - 1 - 320G SATA drive split
    > into 3 partitions - XP Pro/Vista/Programs. I Have 2 74G Raptor drives in a
    > RAID 0 and I have a 500G drive used mainly for backup.
    >
    > I would like to install Ubuntu on a partition on the 500G drive.
    >
    > How much trouble will it be to get the boot loader to reference the three
    > different locations so that I will maintain 3 separate OS options?
    >
    > Which method(program) would be the best to do this?
    >
    > Thanx,
    >
    > Vic

    If you install *ubuntu from either the live CD or the alternative
    install it will detect the other two OSes and install Grub to the first
    hard drive. The Grub menuu will show the new system first, then the two
    windows ones under the heading 'other operating systems'. This is
    entirely automagic: you don't need to configure a thing. Unlike windoze,
    the MBR will be preserved so that Grub can be removed cleanly and the
    system restored to how it was if you change your mind/don't like *buntu.

  5. Re: Different kind of triple boot

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > Vic Baron wrote:
    >> Newbie here - last time I played around with Linux it came on about 23
    >> 5 1/4 floppies -
    >>
    >> Current system dual boots XP Pro & Vista on two partitions of the same
    >> physical drive. Current physical drive setup - 1 - 320G SATA drive
    >> split into 3 partitions - XP Pro/Vista/Programs. I Have 2 74G Raptor
    >> drives in a RAID 0 and I have a 500G drive used mainly for backup.
    >>
    >> I would like to install Ubuntu on a partition on the 500G drive.
    >>
    >> How much trouble will it be to get the boot loader to reference the
    >> three different locations so that I will maintain 3 separate OS options?
    >>
    >> Which method(program) would be the best to do this?
    >>
    >> Thanx,
    >>
    >> Vic
    >>

    > If you install *ubuntu from either the live CD or the alternative
    > install it will detect the other two OSes and install Grub to the first
    > hard drive. The Grub menuu will show the new system first, then the two
    > windows ones under the heading 'other operating systems'. This is
    > entirely automagic: you don't need to configure a thing. Unlike windoze,
    > the MBR will be preserved so that Grub can be removed cleanly and the
    > system restored to how it was if you change your mind/don't like *buntu.

    Actually, you would most likely have just one Windows entry. Chosing
    that would bring up the Windows bootloader, which will give you the
    choice between XP and Vista. BICBW.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  6. Re: Different kind of triple boot

    "Mark Warner" wrote in message
    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >> Vic Baron wrote:
    >>> Newbie here - last time I played around with Linux it came on about 23 5
    >>> 1/4 floppies -
    >>>
    >>> Current system dual boots XP Pro & Vista on two partitions of the same
    >>> physical drive. Current physical drive setup - 1 - 320G SATA drive split
    >>> into 3 partitions - XP Pro/Vista/Programs. I Have 2 74G Raptor drives in
    >>> a RAID 0 and I have a 500G drive used mainly for backup.
    >>>
    >>> I would like to install Ubuntu on a partition on the 500G drive.
    >>>
    >>> How much trouble will it be to get the boot loader to reference the
    >>> three different locations so that I will maintain 3 separate OS options?
    >>>
    >>> Which method(program) would be the best to do this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanx,
    >>>
    >>> Vic
    >>>

    >> If you install *ubuntu from either the live CD or the alternative install
    >> it will detect the other two OSes and install Grub to the first hard
    >> drive. The Grub menuu will show the new system first, then the two
    >> windows ones under the heading 'other operating systems'. This is
    >> entirely automagic: you don't need to configure a thing. Unlike windoze,
    >> the MBR will be preserved so that Grub can be removed cleanly and the
    >> system restored to how it was if you change your mind/don't like *buntu.

    > Actually, you would most likely have just one Windows entry. Chosing that
    > would bring up the Windows bootloader, which will give you the choice
    > between XP and Vista. BICBW.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Warner
    > SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    > Registered Linux User #415318
    > ...lose .inhibitions when replying

    OK - either way works for me and it answers my main question about
    autodetecting *both* windows OS's and removal if necessary. I'll download
    the distro and hopefully get time this weekend to play with it.

    thanx!

    Vic

  7. Re: Different kind of triple boot

    On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 08:18:27 -0700, Vic Baron wrote:

    > Newbie here - last time I played around with Linux it came on about 23 5 1/4
    > floppies -
    >
    > Current system dual boots XP Pro & Vista on two partitions of the same
    > physical drive. Current physical drive setup - 1 - 320G SATA drive split
    > into 3 partitions - XP Pro/Vista/Programs. I Have 2 74G Raptor drives in a
    > RAID 0 and I have a 500G drive used mainly for backup.
    >
    > I would like to install Ubuntu on a partition on the 500G drive.
    >
    > How much trouble will it be to get the boot loader to reference the three
    > different locations so that I will maintain 3 separate OS options?
    >
    > Which method(program) would be the best to do this?
    >
    > Thanx,
    >
    > Vic

    I've not done anything with SATA drives, but on an all IDE system, the
    Ubuntu install will pick up all installed OSs and set up the dual/multi
    boot with grub automagically.

  8. Re: Different kind of triple boot

    Vic Baron wrote:
    > "TomB" wrote in message
    >
    >>Vic Baron wrote:
    >>
    >>>Newbie here - last time I played around with Linux it came on about 235
    >>>1/4 floppies -
    >>>
    >>>Current system dual boots XP Pro & Vista on two partitions of the same
    >>>physical drive. Current physical drive setup - 1 - 320G SATA drive split
    >>>into 3 partitions - XP Pro/Vista/Programs. I Have 2 74G Raptor drives in
    >>>a RAID 0 and I have a 500G drive used mainly for backup.
    >>>
    >>>I would like to install Ubuntu on a partition on the 500G drive.
    >>>
    >>>How much trouble will it be to get the boot loader to reference the three
    >>>different locations so that I will maintain 3 separate OS options?
    >>>
    >>>Which method(program) would be the best to do this?
    >>>
    >>>Thanx,
    >>>
    >>>Vic
    >>>

    >>I guess Grub will take care of that for you. It's installed by default
    >>when you install Ubuntu.

    > OK, that makes sense. I've been reading about GRUB but wasn't sure if it was
    > limited to a dual boot situation or not.

    No, I don't know the limits but for all practical purposes, there are
    none: you can boot various OSes, we often set up grub to do a two-stage
    boot of Linux installs (1st stage grub allows you to select e.g. RHEL4,
    RHEL5, SLES9, SLES10, each 2nd stage grub is installed in the specified
    distro's boot partition and so that distro's grub menu will comke up
    second. Easy to remove single distro's from that setup.)

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)