Beryl! Wow! one question though - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Beryl! Wow! one question though - Ubuntu ; Installed beryl this evening - it's a lot of fun and something I can show off... I'm sick of saying "well Gimp does the same stuff as Photoshop" or "Abiword has similar features to Word"... this is something that is ...

  1. Beryl! Wow! one question though

    Installed beryl this evening - it's a lot of fun and something I can
    show off... I'm sick of saying "well Gimp does the same stuff as
    Photoshop" or "Abiword has similar features to Word"... this is
    something that is actually really cool, fun, and probably useful too (at
    least I imagine that was the excuse at first).

    One question though - how can I grab a "window" and move it to a new
    desktop?

  2. Re: Beryl! Wow! one question though

    edgy wrote:

    > Installed beryl this evening - it's a lot of fun and something I can
    > show off... I'm sick of saying "well Gimp does the same stuff as
    > Photoshop" or "Abiword has similar features to Word"... this is
    > something that is actually really cool, fun, and probably useful too (at
    > least I imagine that was the excuse at first).
    >
    > One question though - how can I grab a "window" and move it to a new
    > desktop?

    Click and hold mouse down on titlebar of a window and drag it over to the
    right, will eventually move it to the next viewport if you drag it off the
    screen.

    On the version of Beryl, I'm using with Edgy, a right-click on the titlebar
    gives a menu that allows me to send a window to another viewport or display
    it on all viewports (important to me with some windows). Beryl on Feisty is
    missing this right-click menu for some reason. A friend of mine installed
    Feisty and I found a way to get that menu to work on his system. Can't
    remember the procedure now, but found the answer with a google.

    Cheers.

    PS. Answer to getting context menu on Feisty found here ...

    Just make sure to unselect updating those libs when doing an update down the
    road to keep this functional.

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  3. Re: Beryl! Wow! one question though

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 21:17:04 -0400, edgy wrote:

    > Installed beryl this evening - it's a lot of fun and something I can
    > show off... I'm sick of saying "well Gimp does the same stuff as
    > Photoshop" or "Abiword has similar features to Word"... this is
    > something that is actually really cool, fun, and probably useful too (at
    > least I imagine that was the excuse at first).
    >
    > One question though - how can I grab a "window" and move it to a new
    > desktop?

    If you like beryl, wait until you see compiz fusion in Gutsy. =)
    Beryl pales in Comparison!

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  4. Re: Beryl! Wow! one question though

    edgy wrote:
    > and probably useful too (at
    > least I imagine that was the excuse at first)

    You know, I really find some Beryl/Compiz stuff very usefull, even in
    such a way when I'm working on my Win2000 box at work (like right now) I
    just miss the cube. Having apps running on different workspaces and
    switch between them with a swift cube spin has become my default way of
    working.

  5. Re: Beryl! Wow! one question though

    On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:47:10 +0200, TomB wrote:

    > You know, I really find some Beryl/Compiz stuff very usefull, even in
    > such a way when I'm working on my Win2000 box at work (like right now) I
    > just miss the cube. Having apps running on different workspaces and
    > switch between them with a swift cube spin has become my default way of
    > working.

    I found it quicker to switch workspace just using the default 2D mode than
    the 3D mode cube. 3D looks cool though. BTW, I don't know if it works with
    Win2K but Microsoft does have a free download that gives you multiple
    desktops. I've used it on XP so I see no reason why it wouldn't work on
    Win2K also.

  6. Re: Beryl! Wow! one question though

    NoStop wrote:
    > edgy wrote:
    >
    >> Installed beryl this evening >> One question though - how can I grab a "window" and move it to a new
    >> desktop?

    > Click and hold mouse down on titlebar of a window and drag it over to the
    > right, will eventually move it to the next viewport if you drag it off the
    > screen.
    >
    > On the version of Beryl, I'm using with Edgy, a right-click on the titlebar
    > gives a menu that allows me to send a window to another viewport or display
    > it on all viewports (important to me with some windows).

    Thanks! I was monkeying with this for a few minutes before I realized
    that by "titlebar" you meant the little, well, titlebar that fits in the
    dock thingy and not the bar across the top of the window with the title
    in it.

    Works a charm! I'm in 6.10 as well so the right click works fine
    (although not quite as fun as dragging it of course).

  7. Re: Beryl! Wow! one question though

    edgy wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >> edgy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Installed beryl this evening >> One question though - how can I grab a
    >>> "window" and move it to a new desktop?

    >> Click and hold mouse down on titlebar of a window and drag it over to the
    >> right, will eventually move it to the next viewport if you drag it off
    >> the screen.
    >>
    >> On the version of Beryl, I'm using with Edgy, a right-click on the
    >> titlebar gives a menu that allows me to send a window to another viewport
    >> or display it on all viewports (important to me with some windows).

    > Thanks! I was monkeying with this for a few minutes before I realized
    > that by "titlebar" you meant the little, well, titlebar that fits in the
    > dock thingy and not the bar across the top of the window with the title
    > in it.

    By titlebar, I was referring to the titlebar. :-) That's the bar at the top
    of each window.

    Cheers.

    > Works a charm! I'm in 6.10 as well so the right click works fine
    > (although not quite as fun as dragging it of course).

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  8. Re: Beryl! Wow! one question though

    NoStop wrote:
    > edgy wrote:
    >> NoStop wrote:
    >>> On the version of Beryl, I'm using with Edgy, a right-click on the
    >>> titlebar gives a menu that allows me to send a window to another viewport
    >>> or display it on all viewports (important to me with some windows).

    >> Thanks! I was monkeying with this for a few minutes before I realized
    >> that by "titlebar" you meant the little, well, titlebar that fits in the
    >> dock thingy and not the bar across the top of the window with the title
    >> in it.
    >>

    > By titlebar, I was referring to the titlebar. :-) That's the bar at the top
    > of each window.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Oops. Well, ok, that doesn't work for me, but the other thing I
    described (whatever it is called) works fine. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread