Upgraded to Gutsy - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Upgraded to Gutsy - Ubuntu ; Well I couldn't wait anymore and upgraded to Gutsy this past weekend. =) The multi-screen issues I was having earlier this summer have been fixed so I can use it without problems now. Absolutely love it! Now there's just *one* ...

  1. Upgraded to Gutsy

    Well I couldn't wait anymore and upgraded to Gutsy this past weekend. =)

    The multi-screen issues I was having earlier this summer have been fixed
    so I can use it without problems now. Absolutely love it!

    Now there's just *one* tiny problem I am still having...

    I want to use compiz fusion and it doesn't support multiple X Screens yet.

    So I tried to use nVidia's twin-view instead, but no matter what I do,
    and I spent about 4 hours non-stop on this, I can get it to work but my
    login screen and main desktop will always end up on my TV and not on my
    LCD monitor. I've tried every option/flag I could conceivably think of,
    no change (at least I've only found options to make things worse).

    The only "solution" I had found was to physically switch the video cables
    but that causes other problems, such as my primary screen now being the
    TV and subsequently the boot up and grub menu showing on the TV, not on
    my monitor.

    Neither scenario is really all that great. =)

    So I just went back to multiple X Screens and researched compiz some more
    until I found out that it actually has this very neat --only-current-
    screen option designed to solve exactly my problem. Run Compiz on my
    monitor, ignore the TV. Perfect.

    Well, almost perfect. If I add compiz to my startup programs under
    Session as follows:

    compiz --replace --only-current-screen

    Then it breaks and compiz is applied to both screens despite that option.
    I think the reason is that the startup occurs just prior to the actual
    desktop becoming active so there isn't a current screen yet.

    So for the time being, I made a desktop shortcut that I can use to start
    compiz after the desktop has loaded. However, I would really like for it
    to auto start though...

    Any idea how I can get it to auto start *after* the desktop is displayed?

    Thanks,

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  2. Re: Upgraded to Gutsy

    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > Well I couldn't wait anymore and upgraded to Gutsy this past weekend. =)
    >
    > The multi-screen issues I was having earlier this summer have been fixed
    > so I can use it without problems now. Absolutely love it!
    >
    > Now there's just *one* tiny problem I am still having...
    >
    > I want to use compiz fusion and it doesn't support multiple X Screens yet.
    >
    > So I tried to use nVidia's twin-view instead, but no matter what I do,
    > and I spent about 4 hours non-stop on this, I can get it to work but my
    > login screen and main desktop will always end up on my TV and not on my
    > LCD monitor. I've tried every option/flag I could conceivably think of,
    > no change (at least I've only found options to make things worse).
    >
    > The only "solution" I had found was to physically switch the video cables
    > but that causes other problems, such as my primary screen now being the
    > TV and subsequently the boot up and grub menu showing on the TV, not on
    > my monitor.

    Shouldn't have to do that as a rather simple edit of xorg.conf should get
    twinview working as you want. If you want to pursue this further. post your
    xorg.conf using twinview.

    > Neither scenario is really all that great. =)
    >
    > So I just went back to multiple X Screens and researched compiz some more
    > until I found out that it actually has this very neat --only-current-
    > screen option designed to solve exactly my problem. Run Compiz on my
    > monitor, ignore the TV. Perfect.
    >
    > Well, almost perfect. If I add compiz to my startup programs under
    > Session as follows:
    >
    > compiz --replace --only-current-screen
    >
    > Then it breaks and compiz is applied to both screens despite that option.
    > I think the reason is that the startup occurs just prior to the actual
    > desktop becoming active so there isn't a current screen yet.
    >
    > So for the time being, I made a desktop shortcut that I can use to start
    > compiz after the desktop has loaded. However, I would really like for it
    > to auto start though...
    >
    > Any idea how I can get it to auto start *after* the desktop is displayed?

    Sorry, still using Beryl so don't know how compiz handles this stuff. With
    Beryl, simply auto starting beryl-manager in sessions is enough to get
    gnome to start then immediately switch over to beryl.

    > Thanks,

    Cheers.

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  3. Re: Upgraded to Gutsy

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 23:30:25 +0000, NoStop wrote:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >> Well I couldn't wait anymore and upgraded to Gutsy this past weekend.
    >> =)
    >>
    >> The multi-screen issues I was having earlier this summer have been
    >> fixed so I can use it without problems now. Absolutely love it!
    >>
    >> Now there's just *one* tiny problem I am still having...
    >>
    >> I want to use compiz fusion and it doesn't support multiple X Screens
    >> yet.
    >>
    >> So I tried to use nVidia's twin-view instead, but no matter what I do,
    >> and I spent about 4 hours non-stop on this, I can get it to work but my
    >> login screen and main desktop will always end up on my TV and not on my
    >> LCD monitor. I've tried every option/flag I could conceivably think of,
    >> no change (at least I've only found options to make things worse).
    >>
    >> The only "solution" I had found was to physically switch the video
    >> cables but that causes other problems, such as my primary screen now
    >> being the TV and subsequently the boot up and grub menu showing on the
    >> TV, not on my monitor.
    >>

    > Shouldn't have to do that as a rather simple edit of xorg.conf should
    > get twinview working as you want. If you want to pursue this further.
    > post your xorg.conf using twinview.

    I'll have to see if I can dig that up later today. =)

    >> Neither scenario is really all that great. =)
    >>
    >> So I just went back to multiple X Screens and researched compiz some
    >> more until I found out that it actually has this very neat
    >> --only-current- screen option designed to solve exactly my problem. Run
    >> Compiz on my monitor, ignore the TV. Perfect.
    >>
    >> Well, almost perfect. If I add compiz to my startup programs under
    >> Session as follows:
    >>
    >> compiz --replace --only-current-screen
    >>
    >> Then it breaks and compiz is applied to both screens despite that
    >> option. I think the reason is that the startup occurs just prior to the
    >> actual desktop becoming active so there isn't a current screen yet.
    >>
    >> So for the time being, I made a desktop shortcut that I can use to
    >> start compiz after the desktop has loaded. However, I would really like
    >> for it to auto start though...
    >>
    >> Any idea how I can get it to auto start *after* the desktop is
    >> displayed?
    >>

    > Sorry, still using Beryl so don't know how compiz handles this stuff.
    > With Beryl, simply auto starting beryl-manager in sessions is enough to
    > get gnome to start then immediately switch over to beryl.

    That's enough for compiz fusion too, but it takes over both
    desktops....which is bad since it really doesn't have support for that
    yet. It subsequently causes problems on both desktops.

    Hence that only current screen option to avoid that problem. Just that
    said option doesn't work if I auto start it from within sessions.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは