Internet connection sharing - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Internet connection sharing - Ubuntu ; Hi, I have two Ubuntu machines, one which I use as a server, and my desktop machine. On the server I store programs for the Windows OS, like AVG and Spybot so when I repair friends computers (yes they should ...

  1. Internet connection sharing

    Hi,
    I have two Ubuntu machines, one which I use as a server, and my desktop
    machine. On the server I store programs for the Windows OS, like AVG and
    Spybot so when I repair friends computers (yes they should switch) i can
    just burn an ISO on a CDRW and install from there

    However, I have no idea how to allow any boxes to connect to the Internet
    from the server directly, I have a crossover cable and windows comes up
    with limited connectivity. How do i issue an IP address to it from my
    Server (which actually has Gnome installed). A GUI way would be ideal,
    but I am not afraid of BASH!

    Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Oh,BTW I have Feisty Fawn on the
    server, all up to date!

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  2. Re: Internet connection sharing

    MCR wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have two Ubuntu machines, one which I use as a server, and my desktop
    > machine. On the server I store programs for the Windows OS, like AVG and
    > Spybot so when I repair friends computers (yes they should switch) i can
    > just burn an ISO on a CDRW and install from there
    >
    > However, I have no idea how to allow any boxes to connect to the Internet
    > from the server directly, I have a crossover cable and windows comes up
    > with limited connectivity. How do i issue an IP address to it from my
    > Server (which actually has Gnome installed). A GUI way would be ideal,
    > but I am not afraid of BASH!
    >
    > Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Oh,BTW I have Feisty Fawn on the
    > server, all up to date!

    I'm not totally clear on what you're trying to accomplish, but I assume you
    want your Ubuntu server to also act as a router? Here's an article that
    shows you how to do it through the use of webmin**, which will give you a
    relatively easy-to-use browser-based GUI to configure DHCP ...

    http://ubuntulinuxhowto.blogspot.com...be-router.html

    Cheers.

    ** Webmin has many other uses and is something well worth installing on a
    server. Especially a headless server.

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  3. Re: Internet connection sharing

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 23:05:01 +0000, Bill Marcum wrote:

    Snipped

    > Install a dhcp server.

    OK thanks! I never considered that.

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  4. Re: Internet connection sharing

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 23:37:44 +0000, NoStop wrote:

    Snipped

    >> Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Oh,BTW I have Feisty Fawn on
    >> the server, all up to date!
    >>

    > I'm not totally clear on what you're trying to accomplish, but I assume
    > you want your Ubuntu server to also act as a router? Here's an article
    > that shows you how to do it through the use of webmin**, which will give
    > you a relatively easy-to-use browser-based GUI to configure DHCP ...
    >
    > http://ubuntulinuxhowto.blogspot.com...be-router.html
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > ** Webmin has many other uses and is something well worth installing on
    > a server. Especially a headless server.

    I used it a long while go and must have had a brain fart or something
    because like the DCHP suggestion I never considered it, in fact I forgot
    all about it.

    Thanks!

    --
    MCR