Triple boot question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Triple boot question - Ubuntu ; Ubu' 7.04 happily runs with Xp on the same disk using the 'Grub' bootloader. I have installed Ubu' 7.10 tribe 5 as a try out on a separate partition but chickened out when I came to the 'create new bootloader' ...

  1. Triple boot question

    Ubu' 7.04 happily runs with Xp on the same disk using the 'Grub'
    bootloader. I have installed Ubu' 7.10 tribe 5 as a try out on a
    separate partition but chickened out when I came to the 'create new
    bootloader' as I had previously read that I may loose the first Ubu'
    system. Is this still true? How can I instruct or rerun 'grub' to
    include all 3 options?
    --
    Regards,
    Cushie

  2. Re: Triple boot question

    Cushie illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Ubu' 7.04 happily runs with Xp on the same disk using the 'Grub'
    > bootloader. I have installed Ubu' 7.10 tribe 5 as a try out on a
    > separate partition but chickened out when I came to the 'create new
    > bootloader' as I had previously read that I may loose the first Ubu'
    > system. Is this still true? How can I instruct or rerun 'grub' to
    > include all 3 options?

    One more occasion where supergrub could come in handy
    http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/?section=home

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  3. Re: Triple boot question

    Cushie wrote:
    > Ubu' 7.04 happily runs with Xp on the same disk using the 'Grub'
    > bootloader. I have installed Ubu' 7.10 tribe 5 as a try out on a
    > separate partition but chickened out when I came to the 'create new
    > bootloader' as I had previously read that I may loose the first Ubu'
    > system. Is this still true? How can I instruct or rerun 'grub' to
    > include all 3 options?

    I tried exactly the same thing using the alternative CD. Much to my
    surprise when the install finished and my machine rebooted, I couldn't
    boot anything. And I couldn't restore the master boot record with
    Fixmbr or Fixboot either. Fortunately I was able to restore it with the
    Acronis recovery utility. I ended up upgrading my Ubuntu 7.04 to 7.10
    and so far so good.

    Has anyone else run into this problem, and has it been fixed?

  4. Re: Triple boot question

    Cushie wrote thus:
    > Ubu' 7.04 happily runs with Xp on the same disk using the 'Grub'
    > bootloader. I have installed Ubu' 7.10 tribe 5 as a try out on a
    > separate partition but chickened out when I came to the 'create new
    > bootloader' as I had previously read that I may loose the first Ubu'
    > system. Is this still true? How can I instruct or rerun 'grub' to
    > include all 3 options?

    I have never had a problem. I have XP, Feisty, Mint & Tribe 5 installed
    in that order and the Live CD installed grub and found them all as and
    when I added a new install. You just need to remember that the menu.lst
    that grub look at is in the last install you did.

    --
    Steve

    In the eyes of a cat, all things belong to cats.
    - English Proverb

  5. Re: Triple boot question

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 21:43:04 +0100, Cushie wrote:
    > Ubu' 7.04 happily runs with Xp on the same disk using the 'Grub'
    > bootloader. I have installed Ubu' 7.10 tribe 5 as a try out on a
    > separate partition but chickened out when I came to the 'create new
    > bootloader' as I had previously read that I may loose the first Ubu'
    > system. Is this still true? How can I instruct or rerun 'grub' to
    > include all 3 options?

    On new installs, I let the boot loader install it's loader into the mbr.

    You can then mount the previous install, and copy it's boot loader's
    stanza into the current boot loader's config file.

    Example:
    click up a terminal
    sudo -i

    mkdir /old
    mount -t auto /dev/XdYZ /old (u solve for X [h,s], Y [a,b,c...] & Z [1,2,3..])

    gedit /boot/grub/menul.lst
    gedit /old/boot/grub/menul.lst

    save/quit <===== saves your changes
    exit <==== exit root session

    Now you can copy stanzas from /old/boot/grub/menul.lst into
    /boot/grub/menul.lst

    next boot should have your old install selection.

    You might do the same process after booting the old install
    and add the new install stanza to the currently booted install.

    Before doing the exit, you need to replace the new install's grub info
    with this install's grub info.

    grub
    root (hdX,Z) <=== use value seen for your partition in menu.lst
    setup (hd0) <=== write current grub setup to mbr of first drive
    quit <=== exit grub
    exit <==== exit root session

    As alwasys there are the commands
    man grub
    info grub
    and if lucky
    locate grub | grep doc
    where you can cut returned vaules and paste them into your browser.
    Since I install the howto package these would be my first guess as
    what to read.

    /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/HTML/en/Multiboot-with-GRUB/Multiboot-with-GRUB.html
    /usr/share/doc/grub-doc-0.97/grub.ps
    /usr/share/doc/grub-doc-0.97/multiboot.ps

    PS: your results may vary from mine.

    depends if the slocate/mlocate package is installed and your what you
    have installed.

  6. Re: Triple boot question

    Don wrote:

    > Cushie wrote:
    >> Ubu' 7.04 happily runs with Xp on the same disk using the 'Grub'
    >> bootloader. I have installed Ubu' 7.10 tribe 5 as a try out on a
    >> separate partition but chickened out when I came to the 'create new
    >> bootloader' as I had previously read that I may loose the first Ubu'
    >> system. Is this still true? How can I instruct or rerun 'grub' to
    >> include all 3 options?

    > I tried exactly the same thing using the alternative CD. Much to my
    > surprise when the install finished and my machine rebooted, I couldn't
    > boot anything. And I couldn't restore the master boot record with
    > Fixmbr or Fixboot either.

    Thank Microsoft for preventing you from trashing your MBR with their
    pathetic p.o.s. :-)

    > Fortunately I was able to restore it with the
    > Acronis recovery utility. I ended up upgrading my Ubuntu 7.04 to 7.10
    > and so far so good.
    >
    > Has anyone else run into this problem, and has it been fixed?

    Has what been fixed? Others have already offered solutions.

    Cheers.

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  7. Re: Triple boot question

    Cushie wrote:
    > Ubu' 7.04 happily runs with Xp on the same disk using the 'Grub'
    > bootloader. I have installed Ubu' 7.10 tribe 5 as a try out on a
    > separate partition but chickened out when I came to the 'create new
    > bootloader' as I had previously read that I may loose the first Ubu'
    > system. Is this still true? How can I instruct or rerun 'grub' to
    > include all 3 options?

    You should be able to install grub into the partition rather than the
    MBR (sorry, I have little experience *installing* Ubuntu, I usually
    install SuSE and Red Hat Linux).

    Then mount your original /boot (or the original /) and modify
    /boot/grub/menu.lst to include this entry

    title Ubuntu 7.10 Tribe 5
    root (h0,X)
    chainloader +1
    boot

    The "X" has to be replaced with the partition number of your new Ubuntu
    install *minus 1*, i.e. if you installed Tribe 5 into /dev/hda3, this
    has to be "(hd0,2)".

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  8. Re: Triple boot question

    Josef Moellers wrote:
    > Cushie wrote:
    >> Ubu' 7.04 happily runs with Xp on the same disk using the 'Grub'
    >> bootloader. I have installed Ubu' 7.10 tribe 5 as a try out on a
    >> separate partition but chickened out when I came to the 'create new
    >> bootloader' as I had previously read that I may loose the first Ubu'
    >> system. Is this still true? How can I instruct or rerun 'grub' to
    >> include all 3 options?

    > You should be able to install grub into the partition rather than the
    > MBR (
    >
    > Then mount your original /boot (or the original /) and modify
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst to include this entry
    >
    > title Ubuntu 7.10 Tribe 5
    > root (h0,X)
    > chainloader +1
    > boot
    >
    > The "X" has to be replaced with the partition number of your new Ubuntu
    > install *minus 1*, i.e. if you installed Tribe 5 into /dev/hda3, this
    > has to be "(hd0,2)".

    Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions. I have tried the
    latest version of Supergrub and it does make a valiant try, once I've
    sorted out the different ways of describing 'sda1' in Parted which is
    'sdb1' in Grub which are both 'disk 1' counting from '0'.

    The installation is missing any 'grub' file or menu.lst .

    'Booting Linux Directly' in supergrub was the best attempt but it fell
    over at '/dev/sdb8' does not exist' which is where it finds correctly
    the new OS 2.6.22-10 files.

    I tried setting it as a bootable partition with the same result.

    Might it be easier and little trouble to reinstall at let the 'Grub'
    installation complete itself this time on the new partition and do the
    edits as aforementioned?
    --
    Regards,
    Cushie

  9. Re: Triple boot question

    Cushie wrote:
    > Josef Moellers wrote:
    >
    >> Cushie wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ubu' 7.04 happily runs with Xp on the same disk using the 'Grub'
    >>> bootloader. I have installed Ubu' 7.10 tribe 5 as a try out on a
    >>> separate partition but chickened out when I came to the 'create new
    >>> bootloader' as I had previously read that I may loose the first Ubu'
    >>> system. Is this still true? How can I instruct or rerun 'grub' to
    >>> include all 3 options?

    >> You should be able to install grub into the partition rather than the
    >> MBR (
    >>
    >> Then mount your original /boot (or the original /) and modify
    >> /boot/grub/menu.lst to include this entry
    >>
    >> title Ubuntu 7.10 Tribe 5
    >> root (h0,X)
    >> chainloader +1
    >> boot
    >>
    >> The "X" has to be replaced with the partition number of your new
    >> Ubuntu install *minus 1*, i.e. if you installed Tribe 5 into
    >> /dev/hda3, this has to be "(hd0,2)".
    >>

    > Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions. I have tried the
    > latest version of Supergrub and it does make a valiant try, once I've
    > sorted out the different ways of describing 'sda1' in Parted which is
    > 'sdb1' in Grub which are both 'disk 1' counting from '0'.

    If your original setup still boots, you don't need supergrub or anything
    like that.

    > The installation is missing any 'grub' file or menu.lst .

    Which installation? The original one (7.04) or the new one (7.10)?

    > 'Booting Linux Directly' in supergrub was the best attempt but it fell
    > over at '/dev/sdb8' does not exist' which is where it finds correctly
    > the new OS 2.6.22-10 files.

    I don't know supergrub, but if /dev/sdb8 does not exist, the following
    command will create it (i.e. the /dev entry):

    mknod /dev/sdb8 b 8 24

    > I tried setting it as a bootable partition with the same result.

    No need to do that. Grub can boot from any partition, it need not be a
    bootable one, it need not be a primary one at all! In the first stage,
    grub boots from whatever it is installed from, so it would boot off your
    7.04's /boot. It then reads the /boot/grub/menu.lst and offers that as a
    boot menu and you can either accept the default or chose another one.
    The "another one" can be a chainloader entry, in which case it will
    (re)boot off the partition specified with the "root" directive.

    > Might it be easier and little trouble to reinstall at let the 'Grub'
    > installation complete itself this time on the new partition and do the
    > edits as aforementioned?

    That will reverse things as you would have to install your 7.04's grub
    into your 7.04's "boot partition".

    Can you install 7.10's grub into its "boot partition" (or whatever it is
    named during installation? As I wrote: I'm not familiar with installing
    Ubuntu but have installed countless instances of Red Hat Enterprise
    Linux and Suse Linux Enterpise Server for test purposes).
    Alternatively, can you refrain from installing a boot loader in 7.10
    altogether? In any case, it should create a /boot in 7.10, although it
    may not have all the files. I would assume (see my remark above) that
    the "grub" package will be installed anyway and my (k)Ubuntu
    installation says the relevant files are then in /usr/lib/grub//
    from where you can cp them to /boot/grub, create a menu.lst and
    device.map try to install grub into the boot partition.
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  10. Re: Triple boot question

    Josef Moellers wrote:
    > Cushie wrote:
    >> Josef Moellers wrote:

    >>> You should be able to install grub into the partition rather than the
    >>> MBR (
    >>>
    >>> Then mount your original /boot (or the original /) and modify
    >>> /boot/grub/menu.lst to include this entry
    >>>
    >>> title Ubuntu 7.10 Tribe 5
    >>> root (h0,X)
    >>> chainloader +1
    >>> boot
    >>>
    >>> The "X" has to be replaced with the partition number of your new
    >>> Ubuntu install *minus 1*, i.e. if you installed Tribe 5 into
    >>> /dev/hda3, this has to be "(hd0,2)".
    >>>

    >> Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions. I have tried the
    >> latest version of Supergrub and it does make a valiant try, once I've
    >> sorted out the different ways of describing 'sda1' in Parted which is
    >> 'sdb1' in Grub which are both 'disk 1' counting from '0'.

    > If your original setup still boots, you don't need supergrub or anything
    > like that.
    >
    >> The installation is missing any 'grub' file or menu.lst .

    > Which installation? The original one (7.04) or the new one (7.10)?
    >
    >> 'Booting Linux Directly' in supergrub was the best attempt but it
    >> fell over at '/dev/sdb8' does not exist' which is where it finds
    >> correctly the new OS 2.6.22-10 files.

    > I don't know supergrub, but if /dev/sdb8 does not exist, the following
    > command will create it (i.e. the /dev entry):
    >
    > mknod /dev/sdb8 b 8 24
    >
    >> I tried setting it as a bootable partition with the same result.

    > No need to do that. Grub can boot from any partition, it need not be a
    > bootable one, it need not be a primary one at all! In the first stage,
    > grub boots from whatever it is installed from, so it would boot off your
    > 7.04's /boot. It then reads the /boot/grub/menu.lst and offers that as a
    > boot menu and you can either accept the default or chose another one.
    > The "another one" can be a chainloader entry, in which case it will
    > (re)boot off the partition specified with the "root" directive.
    >
    >> Might it be easier and little trouble to reinstall at let the 'Grub'
    >> installation complete itself this time on the new partition and do the
    >> edits as aforementioned?

    > That will reverse things as you would have to install your 7.04's grub
    > into your 7.04's "boot partition".
    >
    > Can you install 7.10's grub into its "boot partition" (or whatever it is
    > named during installation?

    Yes I did eventually do this.
    As I wrote: I'm not familiar with installing
    > Ubuntu but have installed countless instances of Red Hat Enterprise
    > Linux and Suse Linux Enterpise Server for test purposes).
    > Alternatively, can you refrain from installing a boot loader in 7.10
    > altogether?

    This was my original problem I was trying to fix.

    In any case, it should create a /boot in 7.10, although it
    > may not have all the files. I would assume (see my remark above) that
    > the "grub" package will be installed anyway and my (k)Ubuntu
    > installation says the relevant files are then in /usr/lib/grub//
    > from where you can cp them to /boot/grub, create a menu.lst and
    > device.map try to install grub into the boot partition.

    I reinstalled 7.10 and let Grub default install itself this time, it
    said hd(0) (but actually did not mean it), when I came to reboot the
    system picked up the previous grub/menu which was intact.
    Then as suggested above I copied the new items (re 2.6.22.10)from
    7.10/grub/menu into the old one and everything was ok except I had to
    edit the disk/partition location to the correct one as grub did not get
    right. (I think that problem is a mixture of IDE and Sata in the same
    computer) But it all worked out and I have a satisfactory install and my
    original 7.04 intact. Quite a few of the settings transferred across too.
    After installation there was quite a major update including 2.6.22.11.
    Your help appreciated, what was the quote, 'another step for man'.

    --
    Regards,
    Cushie

  11. Re: Triple boot question

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 22:02:14 GMT, Bit Twister
    wrote:

    >On new installs, I let the boot loader install it's loader into the mbr.

    On new installs, I only install into the device where root is mounted. The
    only thing in my MBR is BootItNG, which finds (and boots) all my Linux
    installations just fine. The only issue is whether I've managed to install
    into the correct partition. Since going to this system, I've not had any
    (knock on wood) problems with booting ..

+ Reply to Thread