Dual Boot question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Dual Boot question - Ubuntu ; Usually Ubuntu is added to a working Windows system and a dual boot option is provided when Ubuntu is installed. I am using Ubuntu and would like to add Windows in a dual boot configuration. Does anyone know if this ...

  1. Dual Boot question

    Usually Ubuntu is added to a working Windows system and a dual boot
    option is provided when Ubuntu is installed.
    I am using Ubuntu and would like to add Windows in a dual boot
    configuration. Does anyone know if this is an option that will be
    available when/if I try to install Windows to the same drive? I am a bit
    apprehensive because I have been building this version of Ubuntu up
    slowly and wouldn't want to erase it in my attempt. If it is an option I
    may try it if this is not an option then for sure I won't.
    TIA,
    Richard

  2. Re: Dual Boot question

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:05:34 -0500
    me wrote:

    > Usually Ubuntu is added to a working Windows system and a dual boot
    > option is provided when Ubuntu is installed.
    > I am using Ubuntu and would like to add Windows in a dual boot
    > configuration. Does anyone know if this is an option that will be
    > available when/if I try to install Windows to the same drive? I am a
    > bit apprehensive because I have been building this version of Ubuntu
    > up slowly and wouldn't want to erase it in my attempt. If it is an
    > option I may try it if this is not an option then for sure I won't.

    It can be done, but not easily. Windows will squash the bootloader, and
    does not recognize Linux as a boot option.

    You'll have to manually re-partition to create free space. Once you
    have done this, log in to Ubuntu again to make sure everything is
    working right.

    Then, install windows into the free space. Seems to work best if the
    free space is at the beginning of the drive.

    Now, you'll have to boot with something like the Grub Superdisk, to
    create a new boot loader.

    Make sure you make backups before starting, and test the backups. The
    process is not foolproof. Windows doesn't like Linux...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..."
    - Danny, American History X

  3. Re: Dual Boot question

    me illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Usually Ubuntu is added to a working Windows system and a dual boot
    > option is provided when Ubuntu is installed.
    > I am using Ubuntu and would like to add Windows in a dual boot
    > configuration. Does anyone know if this is an option that will be
    > available when/if I try to install Windows to the same drive? I am a bit
    > apprehensive because I have been building this version of Ubuntu up
    > slowly and wouldn't want to erase it in my attempt. If it is an option I
    > may try it if this is not an option then for sure I won't.
    > TIA,
    > Richard

    Richard. That is really a question for a windows group. You see, it is
    windows that is governing how it installs and what it recognises. I
    would certainly ask in one as there ma be MS related issues I do not
    know about

    However, it *should be fairly simple....
    You will need a copy of supergrub burned to cd and a UbuntuLiveCD
    before you contemplate cracking the beautfully licensed seal of XP open .....
    http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

    Bear in mind, that you'll also need to set up a seperate partition
    (NTFS or FAT32) to install windows on.
    You can boot your ubuntu liveCD and run Gparted to do this.

    Once happy, install windows in the seperate partition you've made and
    then run supergrub to replace your original grub that windows so
    kindly removed for you.

    HTH.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  4. Re: Dual Boot question

    Joe LaVigne wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:05:34 -0500
    > me wrote:
    >
    >> Usually Ubuntu is added to a working Windows system and a dual boot
    >> option is provided when Ubuntu is installed.
    >> I am using Ubuntu and would like to add Windows in a dual boot
    >> configuration. Does anyone know if this is an option that will be
    >> available when/if I try to install Windows to the same drive? I am a
    >> bit apprehensive because I have been building this version of Ubuntu
    >> up slowly and wouldn't want to erase it in my attempt. If it is an
    >> option I may try it if this is not an option then for sure I won't.

    > It can be done, but not easily. Windows will squash the bootloader, and
    > does not recognize Linux as a boot option.
    >
    > You'll have to manually re-partition to create free space. Once you
    > have done this, log in to Ubuntu again to make sure everything is
    > working right.
    >
    > Then, install windows into the free space. Seems to work best if the
    > free space is at the beginning of the drive.
    >
    > Now, you'll have to boot with something like the Grub Superdisk, to
    > create a new boot loader.
    >
    > Make sure you make backups before starting, and test the backups. The
    > process is not foolproof. Windows doesn't like Linux...

    Thanks for all the information. As for backups, I used Home User backup
    a while ago in preparation to doing this and found there is NO restore
    package for it. What do you suggest a relative novice to Ubuntu use to
    do this?
    Richard

  5. Re: Dual Boot question

    Moog wrote:
    > me illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Usually Ubuntu is added to a working Windows system and a dual boot
    >> option is provided when Ubuntu is installed.
    >> I am using Ubuntu and would like to add Windows in a dual boot
    >> configuration. Does anyone know if this is an option that will be
    >> available when/if I try to install Windows to the same drive? I am a bit
    >> apprehensive because I have been building this version of Ubuntu up
    >> slowly and wouldn't want to erase it in my attempt. If it is an option I
    >> may try it if this is not an option then for sure I won't.
    >> TIA,
    >> Richard

    > Richard. That is really a question for a windows group. You see, it is
    > windows that is governing how it installs and what it recognises. I
    > would certainly ask in one as there ma be MS related issues I do not
    > know about
    >
    > However, it *should be fairly simple....
    > You will need a copy of supergrub burned to cd and a UbuntuLiveCD
    > before you contemplate cracking the beautfully licensed seal of XP open .....
    > http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/
    >
    > Bear in mind, that you'll also need to set up a seperate partition
    > (NTFS or FAT32) to install windows on.
    > You can boot your ubuntu liveCD and run Gparted to do this.
    >
    > Once happy, install windows in the seperate partition you've made and
    > then run supergrub to replace your original grub that windows so
    > kindly removed for you.
    >
    > HTH.

    Thanks Moog. I got Super grub and I will try it and let you know :-)
    Richard

  6. Re: Dual Boot question

    me illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> me illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Usually Ubuntu is added to a working Windows system and a dual boot
    >>> option is provided when Ubuntu is installed.
    >>> I am using Ubuntu and would like to add Windows in a dual boot
    >>> configuration. Does anyone know if this is an option that will be
    >>> available when/if I try to install Windows to the same drive? I am a bit
    >>> apprehensive because I have been building this version of Ubuntu up
    >>> slowly and wouldn't want to erase it in my attempt. If it is an option I
    >>> may try it if this is not an option then for sure I won't.
    >>> TIA,
    >>> Richard

    >> Richard. That is really a question for a windows group. You see, it is
    >> windows that is governing how it installs and what it recognises. I
    >> would certainly ask in one as there ma be MS related issues I do not
    >> know about
    >>
    >> However, it *should be fairly simple....
    >> You will need a copy of supergrub burned to cd and a UbuntuLiveCD
    >> before you contemplate cracking the beautfully licensed seal of XP open .....
    >> http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/
    >>
    >> Bear in mind, that you'll also need to set up a seperate partition
    >> (NTFS or FAT32) to install windows on.
    >> You can boot your ubuntu liveCD and run Gparted to do this.
    >>
    >> Once happy, install windows in the seperate partition you've made and
    >> then run supergrub to replace your original grub that windows so
    >> kindly removed for you.
    >>
    >> HTH.
    >>

    > Thanks Moog. I got Super grub and I will try it and let you know :-)
    > Richard

    Good luck.

    One more thing I would recommend you getting hold of "for emergencies"
    is the sysresccd.
    http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

    It has helped saved my hide with a number of different OS
    installations. Hopefully you'll never need it, but if you're prepared
    for the worst, the worst tends not to happen. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  7. Re: Dual Boot question

    me wrote:
    > Joe LaVigne wrote:
    >> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:05:34 -0500
    >> me wrote:
    >>
    >>> Usually Ubuntu is added to a working Windows system and a dual boot
    >>> option is provided when Ubuntu is installed.
    >>> I am using Ubuntu and would like to add Windows in a dual boot
    >>> configuration. Does anyone know if this is an option that will be
    >>> available when/if I try to install Windows to the same drive? I am a
    >>> bit apprehensive because I have been building this version of Ubuntu
    >>> up slowly and wouldn't want to erase it in my attempt. If it is an
    >>> option I may try it if this is not an option then for sure I won't.

    >> It can be done, but not easily. Windows will squash the bootloader, and
    >> does not recognize Linux as a boot option.
    >>
    >> You'll have to manually re-partition to create free space. Once you
    >> have done this, log in to Ubuntu again to make sure everything is
    >> working right.
    >> Then, install windows into the free space. Seems to work best if the
    >> free space is at the beginning of the drive.
    >>
    >> Now, you'll have to boot with something like the Grub Superdisk, to
    >> create a new boot loader.
    >>
    >> Make sure you make backups before starting, and test the backups. The
    >> process is not foolproof. Windows doesn't like Linux...
    >>

    > Thanks for all the information. As for backups, I used Home User backup
    > a while ago in preparation to doing this and found there is NO restore
    > package for it. What do you suggest a relative novice to Ubuntu use to
    > do this?
    > Richard

    For backing up and restoring Ubuntu, Partimage does the trick for me.
    http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page Of course you will need a spare
    partition to hold the backups (in my case ext3). That way, if Windows
    completely fries your system, you should be able to recover your Ubuntu.
    You may also want to have a CD that boots up into Gparted as well.
    Disk drives are cheap these days. If in doubt, get another disk drive.
    I like to keep Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) as far from each other as
    possible when installing on the same machine.

  8. Re: Dual Boot question

    me illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Joe LaVigne wrote:
    >> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:05:34 -0500
    >> me wrote:
    >>
    >>> Usually Ubuntu is added to a working Windows system and a dual boot
    >>> option is provided when Ubuntu is installed.
    >>> I am using Ubuntu and would like to add Windows in a dual boot
    >>> configuration. Does anyone know if this is an option that will be
    >>> available when/if I try to install Windows to the same drive? I am a
    >>> bit apprehensive because I have been building this version of Ubuntu
    >>> up slowly and wouldn't want to erase it in my attempt. If it is an
    >>> option I may try it if this is not an option then for sure I won't.

    >> It can be done, but not easily. Windows will squash the bootloader, and
    >> does not recognize Linux as a boot option.
    >>
    >> You'll have to manually re-partition to create free space. Once you
    >> have done this, log in to Ubuntu again to make sure everything is
    >> working right.
    >>
    >> Then, install windows into the free space. Seems to work best if the
    >> free space is at the beginning of the drive.
    >>
    >> Now, you'll have to boot with something like the Grub Superdisk, to
    >> create a new boot loader.
    >>
    >> Make sure you make backups before starting, and test the backups. The
    >> process is not foolproof. Windows doesn't like Linux...
    >>

    > Thanks for all the information. As for backups, I used Home User backup
    > a while ago in preparation to doing this and found there is NO restore
    > package for it. What do you suggest a relative novice to Ubuntu use to
    > do this?
    > Richard

    PartImage.
    http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page
    I've used it succesfully in the past. You may also want to make a back
    up of your /home folder onto another drive or DVD. Although the "dd"
    command is also an option...
    Open a terminal and type
    $ man dd
    for more info.

    PartImage can be found on the sysresccd I mentioned earlier.
    http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

    As Joe stated though, you need to know that it works. So back up, then
    restore.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  9. Re: Dual Boot question

    Moog wrote:
    Clipped

    FWIW, I'm in pretty deep right at the moment :-)
    I used the Live cd to partition the disc, move the Linux to the new one
    and then re formatted the original, in order to get an unused partition
    at the front of the HD. Now I get an error 22 when I try to boot :-(
    I tried Super Grub and I am learning a LOT. What to do and what not to do.
    I have just downloaded the rescue disc and will burn it. It is called
    wget or am I looking at the correct file?
    I am using a windows machine now to keep in touch with the world and
    continue to learn as I go here. I have come to the conclusion that the
    amount of data I may lose is NOT life threatening :-)
    Thanks for all the input and support, much appreciated. I will work at
    this a while tonight and be back at it tomorrow.
    Richard

    >>Thanks Moog. I got Super grub and I will try it and let you know :-)
    >>Richard

    > Good luck.
    >
    > One more thing I would recommend you getting hold of "for emergencies"
    > is the sysresccd.
    > http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
    >
    > It has helped saved my hide with a number of different OS
    > installations. Hopefully you'll never need it, but if you're prepared
    > for the worst, the worst tends not to happen. ;-)

  10. Re: Dual Boot question

    ME wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    > Clipped
    >
    > FWIW, I'm in pretty deep right at the moment :-)
    > I used the Live cd to partition the disc, move the Linux to the new one
    > and then re formatted the original, in order to get an unused partition
    > at the front of the HD. Now I get an error 22 when I try to boot :-(
    > I tried Super Grub and I am learning a LOT. What to do and what not to do.
    > I have just downloaded the rescue disc and will burn it. It is called
    > wget or am I looking at the correct file?
    > I am using a windows machine now to keep in touch with the world and
    > continue to learn as I go here. I have come to the conclusion that the
    > amount of data I may lose is NOT life threatening :-)
    > Thanks for all the input and support, much appreciated. I will work at
    > this a while tonight and be back at it tomorrow.
    > Richard
    >

    >>> Thanks Moog. I got Super grub and I will try it and let you know :-)
    >>> Richard

    >> Good luck.
    >>
    >> One more thing I would recommend you getting hold of "for emergencies"
    >> is the sysresccd. http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
    >>
    >> It has helped saved my hide with a number of different OS
    >> installations. Hopefully you'll never need it, but if you're prepared
    >> for the worst, the worst tends not to happen. ;-)

    I just went back to the download page for rescue disk and wget is the
    software they suggest using to get it :-).

  11. Re: Dual Boot question

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:05:34 -0500, me wrote:

    > Usually Ubuntu is added to a working Windows system and a dual boot
    > option is provided when Ubuntu is installed.
    > I am using Ubuntu and would like to add Windows in a dual boot
    > configuration. Does anyone know if this is an option that will be
    > available when/if I try to install Windows to the same drive? I am a bit
    > apprehensive because I have been building this version of Ubuntu up
    > slowly and wouldn't want to erase it in my attempt. If it is an option I
    > may try it if this is not an option then for sure I won't.
    > TIA,
    > Richard

    The bad news is: MS will overwrite the MBR - there is not a thing in the
    world you can do to prevent it. It need not overwrite your Linux install
    if you have things set up properly - as I recall, MS insists on being
    installed in a primary partition whereas Linux (generally) does not care.
    You simple need to st up a primary partition of type ntfs (or fat -
    depending on the version of MS).

    The good new is: after MS overwrites the MBR and installs it's own boot
    loader, it is an easy thing to rewrite your grub install. In detail:

    1) boot a Linux Live CD.
    2) bring up a terminal window an start grub by typing 'sudo grub'.
    3) grub> root (hd0,2) assuming, for example, your Linux distro is on
    hda3 (grub is 'zero based') otherwise the name of the correct partition.
    4) grub> setup (hd0)
    5) reboot - your original bootloader should be reinstalled.

  12. Re: Dual Boot question

    ME illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    > Clipped
    >
    > FWIW, I'm in pretty deep right at the moment :-)
    > I used the Live cd to partition the disc, move the Linux to the new one
    > and then re formatted the original, in order to get an unused partition
    > at the front of the HD. Now I get an error 22 when I try to boot :-(
    > I tried Super Grub and I am learning a LOT. What to do and what not to do.
    > I have just downloaded the rescue disc and will burn it. It is called
    > wget or am I looking at the correct file?
    > I am using a windows machine now to keep in touch with the world and
    > continue to learn as I go here. I have come to the conclusion that the
    > amount of data I may lose is NOT life threatening :-)
    > Thanks for all the input and support, much appreciated. I will work at
    > this a while tonight and be back at it tomorrow.
    > Richard

    Richard. I think you just need to install windows on your blank
    partition and then run supergrub to find your original operating
    systems.

    The grub error was expected as you have moved the boot drive.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  13. Re: Dual Boot question

    Moog wrote:
    > ME illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >> Clipped
    >>
    >> FWIW, I'm in pretty deep right at the moment :-)
    >> I used the Live cd to partition the disc, move the Linux to the new one
    >> and then re formatted the original, in order to get an unused partition
    >> at the front of the HD. Now I get an error 22 when I try to boot :-(
    >> I tried Super Grub and I am learning a LOT. What to do and what not to do.
    >> I have just downloaded the rescue disc and will burn it. It is called
    >> wget or am I looking at the correct file?
    >> I am using a windows machine now to keep in touch with the world and
    >> continue to learn as I go here. I have come to the conclusion that the
    >> amount of data I may lose is NOT life threatening :-)
    >> Thanks for all the input and support, much appreciated. I will work at
    >> this a while tonight and be back at it tomorrow.
    >> Richard

    > Richard. I think you just need to install windows on your blank
    > partition and then run supergrub to find your original operating
    > systems.
    >
    > The grub error was expected as you have moved the boot drive.

    I think I am beginning to understand this a bit more every day :-)
    Richard

+ Reply to Thread