newbie: installing MySQL GUI Tools - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on newbie: installing MySQL GUI Tools - Ubuntu ; I have downloaded mysql-gui-tools-5.0r12-linux-i386.tar.gz to install MySQL GUI Tools in my Ubuntu Linux. I don't know where to uncompress the file (which destination directory?). Please help. /RAM/...

  1. newbie: installing MySQL GUI Tools

    I have downloaded mysql-gui-tools-5.0r12-linux-i386.tar.gz to install MySQL
    GUI Tools in my Ubuntu Linux. I don't know where to uncompress the file
    (which destination directory?).
    Please help.
    /RAM/

  2. Re: newbie: installing MySQL GUI Tools

    R.A.M. wrote:
    > I have downloaded mysql-gui-tools-5.0r12-linux-i386.tar.gz to install
    > MySQL GUI Tools in my Ubuntu Linux. I don't know where to uncompress
    > the file (which destination directory?).

    I'm reading that people had trouble running mysql-gui-tools in dapper
    and edgy and I'm reading that there isn't a .deb package available and
    I'm reading that people are suggesting other gui/s such as phpmyadmin or
    mysql-admin and there's a LAMP page in the docs.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ap...mysql-admin%29
    This is to help people setup and install a LAMP
    (Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP) server in Ubuntu, including Apache 2, PHP 4 or
    5, and MySQL 4.1 or 5.0. -- All mysql tasks including setting the root
    password and creating databases can be done via a graphical interface
    using phpmyadmin or mysql-admin. - To install one or both of them, first
    enable the universe repository

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=264843 Have the same problem.
    Really frustrating that MySQL GUI Tools does not work with dapper --
    Have you tried using phpmyadmin? - I use it to manage my databases and
    its quite nice.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MySqlWorkBench My notes on installing
    MySqlWorkBench. - As far as I can tell, no one has started working on
    packaging it.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: newbie: installing MySQL GUI Tools

    Hello,

    This page will tell you what to do:
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/administrat...c-tarball.html

    The default location seems to be the /opt directory. You may run:

    $ sudo tar --directory=/opt -xzvf mysql-gui-tools-5.0r12-linux-i386.tar.gz

    It will unzip and put the files to /opt/mysql-gui-tools-5.0/ folder.

    Then you can start the tools:
    $ /opt/mysql-gui-tools-5.0/mysql-administrator
    and
    $ /opt/mysql-gui-tools-5.0/mysql-query-browser
    --- --- ---

    The /opt directory seems to be the default location. If you want to
    install to some other directory then run

    $ ./mysql-query-browser --update-paths
    and
    $ ./mysql-administrator --update-paths

    in that (/xxxxx/mysql-gui-tools-5.0/ ) install location. I do not know
    wheather "sudo" is required for that.

    // moma
    See also: http://www.futuredesktop.org
    http://www.futuredesktop.org/hpc_linux.html

    R.A.M. wrote:
    > I have downloaded mysql-gui-tools-5.0r12-linux-i386.tar.gz to install MySQL
    > GUI Tools in my Ubuntu Linux. I don't know where to uncompress the file
    > (which destination directory?).
    > Please help.
    > /RAM/

  4. Re: newbie: installing MySQL GUI Tools

    R.A.M. wrote:
    > I have downloaded mysql-gui-tools-5.0r12-linux-i386.tar.gz to install MySQL
    > GUI Tools in my Ubuntu Linux. I don't know where to uncompress the file
    > (which destination directory?).
    > Please help.
    > /RAM/

    Why go to the bother as they are in the repo and can be installed using
    the package manager.

  5. Re: newbie: installing MySQL GUI Tools

    Ian Pawson wrote:
    > R.A.M. wrote:
    >> I have downloaded mysql-gui-tools-5.0r12-linux-i386.tar.gz to
    >> install MySQL GUI Tools in my Ubuntu Linux. I don't know where to
    >> uncompress the file (which destination directory?).

    > Why go to the bother as they are in the repo and can be installed
    > using the package manager.

    I looked for mysql-gui-tools in all of the 'standard' repos^1 for feisty
    ubuntu and I didn't see it.

    ^1 canonical main, community universe, proprietary restricted, and
    copyright restricted multiverse

    --
    Mike Easter

  6. Re: newbie: installing MySQL GUI Tools

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Ian Pawson wrote:
    >> R.A.M. wrote:
    >>> I have downloaded mysql-gui-tools-5.0r12-linux-i386.tar.gz to
    >>> install MySQL GUI Tools in my Ubuntu Linux. I don't know where to
    >>> uncompress the file (which destination directory?).

    >> Why go to the bother as they are in the repo and can be installed
    >> using the package manager.

    > I looked for mysql-gui-tools in all of the 'standard' repos^1 for feisty
    > ubuntu and I didn't see it.
    >
    > ^1 canonical main, community universe, proprietary restricted, and
    > copyright restricted multiverse

    Well, I have both listed - the only repo I have added is medibuntu

+ Reply to Thread