Opera will not start - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Opera will not start - Ubuntu ; Installed Opera but when I click on the icon nothing happens. Why?...

  1. Opera will not start

    Installed Opera but when I click on the icon nothing happens. Why?

  2. Re: Opera will not start

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 21:17:45 -0400:

    > Installed Opera but when I click on the icon nothing happens. Why?

    Maestro Pavarotti just died. There is a 24 hour silence imposed.

  3. Re: Opera will not start

    Jose Lopez wrote:
    > Installed Opera but when I click on the icon nothing happens. Why?

    What means 'Installed Opera'?

    Ubuntu 7.04 - Add/Remove - Internet - check Opera - check install from
    Feisty commercial --or-- some other way which does not include finding
    it in Synaptic

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: Opera will not start

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 21:17:45 -0400 Jose Lopez wrote:

    > Installed Opera but when I click on the icon nothing happens. Why?

    What's the command if you check the properties of the icon? It should
    be:

    opera %u

    What happens if you type opera in a terminal window? I just tried it
    and get two errors, but Opera loads and runs fine:

    $ opera
    ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  5. Re: Opera will not start

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Jose Lopez wrote:
    >> Installed Opera but when I click on the icon nothing happens. Why?

    > What means 'Installed Opera'?
    >
    > Ubuntu 7.04 - Add/Remove - Internet - check Opera - check install from
    > Feisty commercial --or-- some other way which does not include finding
    > it in Synaptic

    Went to the Opera site and installed for Ubuntu Linux. I believe
    Synaptic opened and installed it.

  6. Re: Opera will not start

    Little Girl wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 21:17:45 -0400 Jose Lopez wrote:
    >
    >> Installed Opera but when I click on the icon nothing happens. Why?

    > What's the command if you check the properties of the icon? It should
    > be:
    >
    > opera %u

    ....and it is

    > What happens if you type opera in a terminal window? I just tried it
    > and get two errors, but Opera loads and runs fine:

    Not here. I get the following:

    > X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
    > Major opcode: 148
    > Minor opcode: 3
    > Resource id: 0x0
    > Failed to open device
    > X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
    > Major opcode: 148
    > Minor opcode: 3
    > Resource id: 0x0
    > Failed to open device
    > Floating point exception (core dumped)

  7. Re: Opera will not start

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 05:52:13 -0400, Jose Lopez wrote:

    > Went to the Opera site and installed for Ubuntu Linux. I believe
    > Synaptic opened and installed it.

    When you type 'opera' at a command prompt, what happens?

    --
    Chris Game

    If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming
    must be the process of putting them in. -Dykstra

  8. Re: Opera will not start

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 05:54:54 -0400, Jose Lopez wrote:

    > Not here. I get the following:

    [snip]

    Same here, with some other stuff, but Opera still opens. Are you
    sure there's nothing lurking on the taskbar or otherwise in a hidden
    window? Nothing shows in 'ps -e'?

    --
    Chris Game

    "I've lost track of why and wherefore in this thread, but somehow
    I got involved in it and I feel morally obliged to keep going.
    I hope someone knows where we're going." -- Ed Cryer

  9. Re: Opera will not start

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 05:54:54 -0400 Jose Lopez wrote:

    > Little Girl wrote:
    > > On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 21:17:45 -0400 Jose Lopez wrote:

    > > What happens if you type opera in a terminal window? I just tried it
    > > and get two errors, but Opera loads and runs fine:

    > Not here. I get the following:

    > > X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
    > > Major opcode: 148
    > > Minor opcode: 3
    > > Resource id: 0x0
    > > Failed to open device
    > > X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
    > > Major opcode: 148
    > > Minor opcode: 3
    > > Resource id: 0x0
    > > Failed to open device
    > > Floating point exception (core dumped)

    Those are Wacom device errors in xorg.conf and are easily fixed, but
    I'm not sure it will make Opera work. To fix the above errors, follow
    these instructions:

    You need to remove the wacom devices in xorg.conf.

    1) Back up your xorg.conf file. In a terminal window type:

    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf xorg.conf_backup

    2) Check that the backup you made is there. In a terminal window type:

    ls -l /etc/X11

    3) Edit the xorg.conf file using one of these commands:

    If you use Kde, go into a terminal window and type:

    kdesu kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    If you use Gnome, go into a terminal window and type:

    gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    4) There are two areas of xorg.conf that need to be edited. Make these
    changes:

    There are three sections at the top of the file for wacom devices.
    Comment these out by placing a # at the beginning of EACH line to match
    this example:

    #Section "InputDevice"
    # Driver "wacom"
    # Identifier "stylus"
    # Option "Device" "/dev/wacom" # Change to
    # /dev/input/event
    # for USB
    # Option "Type" "stylus"
    # Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
    #EndSection

    #Section "InputDevice"
    # Driver "wacom"
    # Identifier "eraser"
    # Option "Device" "/dev/wacom" # Change to
    # /dev/input/event
    # for USB
    # Option "Type" "eraser"
    # Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
    #EndSection

    #Section "InputDevice"
    # Driver "wacom"
    # Identifier "cursor"
    # Option "Device" "/dev/wacom" # Change to
    # /dev/input/event
    # for USB
    # Option "Type" "cursor"
    # Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
    #EndSection

    There are three entries for wacom devices lower down in the file.
    Comment these out by placing a # at the beginning of EACH line to match
    this example:

    # InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
    # InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
    # InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"

    5) Save the file and exit.

    6) Restart your desktop with one of these commands:

    If you use Gnome, go into a terminal window and type:

    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

    If you use KDE, go into a terminal window and type:

    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart

    If after following these instructions Opera still won't work, you might
    want to uninstall and reinstall it.

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  10. Re: Opera will not start

    Chris Game wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 05:52:13 -0400, Jose Lopez wrote:
    >
    >> Went to the Opera site and installed for Ubuntu Linux. I believe
    >> Synaptic opened and installed it.

    > When you type 'opera' at a command prompt, what happens?

    I get the following:

    X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
    Major opcode: 148
    Minor opcode: 3
    Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device
    X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
    Major opcode: 148
    Minor opcode: 3
    Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device
    Floating point exception (core dumped)

    As suggested in the post before yours, these error codes were generated
    by the Wacom tablet configuration texts in xorg.config file, which I
    haven't yet had time to fix as suggested, so here I go....

  11. Re: Opera will not start

    Little Girl wrote:
> [...]

    > # Option "Device" "/dev/wacom" # Change to
    > # /dev/input/event
    > # for USB
    > # Option "Type" "cursor"
    > # Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
    > #EndSection
    >

    > There are three entries for wacom devices lower down in the file.
    > Comment these out by placing a # at the beginning of EACH line to match
    > this example:
    >
    > # InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
    > # InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
    > # InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
    >
    > 5) Save the file and exit.
    >
    > 6) Restart your desktop with one of these commands:
    >
    > If you use Gnome, go into a terminal window and type:
    >
    > sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
    >
    > If you use KDE, go into a terminal window and type:
    >
    > sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart
    >

    > If after following these instructions Opera still won't work, you might

    Thanks for taking so much time to help me out. I am going to work on
    this now. Thanks again!

  12. Re: Opera will not start - hosed

    Jose Lopez wrote:
    > Chris Game wrote:
    >> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 05:52:13 -0400, Jose Lopez wrote:
    >>
    >>> Went to the Opera site and installed for Ubuntu Linux. I believe
    >>> Synaptic opened and installed it.

    >> When you type 'opera' at a command prompt, what happens?
    >>

    > I get the following:
    >

    > X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
    > Major opcode: 148
    > Minor opcode: 3
    > Resource id: 0x0
    > Failed to open device
    > X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
    > Major opcode: 148
    > Minor opcode: 3
    > Resource id: 0x0
    > Failed to open device
    > Floating point exception (core dumped)
    >
    > As suggested in the post before yours, these error codes were generated
    > by the Wacom tablet configuration texts in xorg.config file, which I
    > haven't yet had time to fix as suggested, so here I go....

    Looks like I need a fresh install because many files got garbled.
    Perhaps the reason is, I downloaded Automatix and installed a few
    things, but other things didn't go. Automatix gave me the error message:
    "Swiftfox plugins fatal error." I don't know if this has anything to do
    with my problem so I'll just try again... Thanks to all who helped.
    Practice makes perfect

  13. Re: Opera will not start

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 18:52:33 -0400, Jose Lopez wrote:

    > Thanks for taking so much time to help me out. I am going to work
    > on this now. Thanks again!

    Hello, Jose, are you receiving...?

    --
    Chris Game

    "Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."
    -- Mark Twain

  14. Re: Opera will not start - hosed

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 21:04:57 -0400 Jose Lopez wrote:

    > Jose Lopez wrote:
    > > As suggested in the post before yours, these error codes were
    > > generated by the Wacom tablet configuration texts in xorg.config
    > > file, which I haven't yet had time to fix as suggested, so here I
    > > go....

    > Looks like I need a fresh install because many files got garbled.
    > Perhaps the reason is, I downloaded Automatix and installed a few
    > things, but other things didn't go. Automatix gave me the error
    > message: "Swiftfox plugins fatal error." I don't know if this has
    > anything to do with my problem so I'll just try again... Thanks to
    > all who helped. Practice makes perfect

    I'm not sure about the Automatix error, but if you haven't already
    wiped everything out and started over, what other errors are you
    seeing? We might be able to figure those out and save you a reinstall.

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

+ Reply to Thread