Is Java installed by default? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Is Java installed by default? - Ubuntu ; Is Java installed by default when I install Ubuntu? When I "search" for the word "java" in Synaptic Package Manager, How do I know what specifically to install? And what are all the files that show up after a search ...

  1. Is Java installed by default?

    Is Java installed by default when I install Ubuntu?

    When I "search" for the word "java" in Synaptic Package Manager, How do
    I know what specifically to install?

    And what are all the files that show up after a search in SinPakMan
    which have an orange Ubuntu logo next to them? Thanks

  2. Re: Is Java installed by default?

    Jose Lopez wrote:

    > Is Java installed by default when I install Ubuntu?

    No.

    > When I "search" for the word "java" in Synaptic Package Manager, How do
    > I know what specifically to install?

    Search for j2r2 - (Java Runtime Environment). You'll probably want that plus
    maybe a firefox plugin.

    > And what are all the files that show up after a search in SinPakMan

    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Inventing new names?

    > which have an orange Ubuntu logo next to them? Thanks

    The ones with the Ubuntu orange logo are those that Ubuntu supports directly
    and will provide updates through its update manager when updates are
    required.

    Cheers.

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  3. Re: Is Java installed by default?

    NoStop wrote:

    >> And what are all the files that show up after a search in SinPakMan

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^
    > Inventing new names?

    Saving time

    >> which have an orange Ubuntu logo next to them? Thanks

    > The ones with the Ubuntu orange logo are those that Ubuntu supports directly
    > and will provide updates through its update manager when updates are
    > required.

    Thanks for the help, I sure appreciate it!

  4. Re: Is Java installed by default?

    Jose Lopez schreef:
    > Is Java installed by default when I install Ubuntu?
    >
    > When I "search" for the word "java" in Synaptic Package Manager, How do
    > I know what specifically to install?
    >
    > And what are all the files that show up after a search in SinPakMan
    > which have an orange Ubuntu logo next to them? Thanks

    No it's not.

    Just fire up Menu > Add/Remove software,

    Go to the Others section

    select Ubuntu Restricted Extra's

    Confirm and wait a couple of minutes.

    This will install all the non free stuff you might ever dream of.

    Cheers

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  5. Re: Is Java installed by default?

    ml2mst wrote:
    > Jose Lopez schreef:
    >> Is Java installed by default when I install Ubuntu?
    >>
    >> When I "search" for the word "java" in Synaptic Package Manager, How do
    >> I know what specifically to install?
    >>
    >> And what are all the files that show up after a search in SinPakMan
    >> which have an orange Ubuntu logo next to them? Thanks

    > No it's not.
    >
    > Just fire up Menu > Add/Remove software,

    You mean Synaptic?

    > Go to the Others section
    >
    > select Ubuntu Restricted Extra's
    >
    > Confirm and wait a couple of minutes.
    >
    > This will install all the non free stuff you might ever dream of.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > --
    > |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    > |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    > |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  6. Re: Is Java installed by default?

    Jose Lopez schreef:
    > ml2mst wrote:
    >> Jose Lopez schreef:
    >>> Is Java installed by default when I install Ubuntu?
    >>>
    >>> When I "search" for the word "java" in Synaptic Package Manager, How do
    >>> I know what specifically to install?
    >>>
    >>> And what are all the files that show up after a search in SinPakMan
    >>> which have an orange Ubuntu logo next to them? Thanks

    >> No it's not.
    >>
    >> Just fire up Menu > Add/Remove software,

    > You mean Synaptic?

    Indeed ;-)

    >> Go to the Others section
    >>
    >> select Ubuntu Restricted Extra's
    >>
    >> Confirm and wait a couple of minutes.
    >>
    >> This will install all the non free stuff you might ever dream of.

    Cheers
    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  7. Re: Is Java installed by default?

    ml2mst wrote:

    >>> Just fire up Menu > Add/Remove software,

    >> You mean Synaptic?

    > Indeed ;-)

    I don't mean to be dense but, on "my" Synaptic Package Manager I don't
    have the Add/Remove option. Am I missing something?

  8. Re: Is Java installed by default?

    Jose Lopez schreef:

    >>> You mean Synaptic?

    >> Indeed ;-)

    > I don't mean to be dense but, on "my" Synaptic Package Manager I don't
    > have the Add/Remove option. Am I missing something?

    Sorry for this late answer, but no, it's alright. You're using Ubuntu
    (GNOME based), which uses Synaptic. I on the other hand use Kubuntu (KDE
    based) which uses Adept and is fired up by the menu entry Add/Remove
    Software.

    Hope this is not getting too confusing by now ;-)

    So you have to use Synaptic.

    Cheers
    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin