Kubuntu DVD player software - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Kubuntu DVD player software - Ubuntu ; Hi I've installed Kubuntu 7.04 Fiesty Fawn and everything works like a charm. All except DVD player. i have not been able to find software anywhere that will allow the DVD player to play commercial DVDs. I've found several player ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

  1. Kubuntu DVD player software

    Hi I've installed Kubuntu 7.04 Fiesty Fawn and everything works like a
    charm. All except DVD player. i have not been able to find software
    anywhere that will allow the DVD player to play commercial DVDs. I've found
    several player softwares, some will allow the movie to start but stop as
    soon as or right after the FBI warning plays. Can anyone help with a
    specific software that will work?

    Thanks,
    Mike

  2. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Michael Brown wrote:
    > Hi I've installed Kubuntu 7.04 Fiesty Fawn and everything works like a
    > charm. All except DVD player. i have not been able to find software
    > anywhere that will allow the DVD player to play commercial DVDs. I've
    > found several player softwares, some will allow the movie to start but
    > stop as soon as or right after the FBI warning plays. Can anyone help
    > with a specific software that will work?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike

    You can use Automatix2 to get the proper codecs to play DVDs here:

    http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/ind...e=Installation

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  3. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Michael Brown schreef:
    > Hi I've installed Kubuntu 7.04 Fiesty Fawn and everything works like a
    > charm. All except DVD player. i have not been able to find software
    > anywhere that will allow the DVD player to play commercial DVDs. I've
    > found several player softwares, some will allow the movie to start but
    > stop as soon as or right after the FBI warning plays. Can anyone help
    > with a specific software that will work?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike

    Kaffeine, MPlayer, VLC, these all work on my computers.
    Probalby Xine as well.

  4. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    If i remember right Xine didn't wrk, but I'll try the others. thanks a lot!

    Mike

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" wrote in message
    > Michael Brown schreef:
    >> Hi I've installed Kubuntu 7.04 Fiesty Fawn and everything works like a
    >> charm. All except DVD player. i have not been able to find software
    >> anywhere that will allow the DVD player to play commercial DVDs. I've
    >> found several player softwares, some will allow the movie to start but
    >> stop as soon as or right after the FBI warning plays. Can anyone help
    >> with a specific software that will work?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Mike

    > Kaffeine, MPlayer, VLC, these all work on my computers.
    > Probalby Xine as well.

  5. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Thank you very much, I'll try this.

    Mike

    "Alias" wrote in message
    > Michael Brown wrote:
    >> Hi I've installed Kubuntu 7.04 Fiesty Fawn and everything works like a
    >> charm. All except DVD player. i have not been able to find software
    >> anywhere that will allow the DVD player to play commercial DVDs. I've
    >> found several player softwares, some will allow the movie to start but
    >> stop as soon as or right after the FBI warning plays. Can anyone help
    >> with a specific software that will work?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Mike

    > You can use Automatix2 to get the proper codecs to play DVDs here:
    >
    > http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/ind...e=Installation
    >
    > --
    > Alias
    > To email me, remove shoes

  6. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Alias wrote:
    > Michael Brown wrote:
    >> Hi I've installed Kubuntu 7.04 Fiesty Fawn and everything works like
    >> a charm. All except DVD player. i have not been able to find
    >> software anywhere that will allow the DVD player to play commercial
    >> DVDs. I've found several player softwares, some will allow the
    >> movie to start but stop as soon as or right after the FBI warning
    >> plays. Can anyone help with a specific software that will work?

    > You can use Automatix2 to get the proper codecs to play DVDs here:
    >
    > http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/ind...e=Installation

    Automatix2 has some problems that other options don't have. There was a
    recent very negative article about automatix

    http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html the Ubuntu Technical Board were
    asked to take a look at Automatix. - ... Conclusion: - Automatix exists
    to satisfy a genuine need, and further work should be carried out to
    determine whether these user requirements can be satisfied within the
    distribution as a whole. However, in its current form Automatix is
    actively dangerous to systems -

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...29%7C%28dvd%29
    or http://snipurl.com/1qi7v Most commercial DVDs are encrypted with CSS
    (the Content Scrambling System), which attempts to restrict the software
    that can play a DVD. -- By installing the libdvdcss2 package you can
    play encrypted DVDs with: -- Kaffeine, the Kubuntu video player

    --
    Mike Easter

  7. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    >> Michael Brown wrote:
    >>> Hi I've installed Kubuntu 7.04 Fiesty Fawn and everything works like
    >>> a charm. All except DVD player. i have not been able to find
    >>> software anywhere that will allow the DVD player to play commercial
    >>> DVDs. I've found several player softwares, some will allow the
    >>> movie to start but stop as soon as or right after the FBI warning
    >>> plays. Can anyone help with a specific software that will work?

    >> You can use Automatix2 to get the proper codecs to play DVDs here:
    >>
    >> http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/ind...e=Installation

    > Automatix2 has some problems that other options don't have. There was a
    > recent very negative article about automatix
    >
    > http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html the Ubuntu Technical Board were
    > asked to take a look at Automatix. - ... Conclusion: - Automatix exists
    > to satisfy a genuine need, and further work should be carried out to
    > determine whether these user requirements can be satisfied within the
    > distribution as a whole. However, in its current form Automatix is
    > actively dangerous to systems -

    Then why does the Ubuntu Update Manager inform me of Automatix2 updates
    if it's so dangerous and not accepted by the Ubuntu Technical Board?

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  8. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Alias schreef:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Alias wrote:

    >>> You can use Automatix2 to get the proper codecs to play DVDs here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/ind...e=Installation

    >> Automatix2 has some problems that other options don't have. There was a
    >> recent very negative article about automatix
    >>
    >> http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html the Ubuntu Technical Board were
    >> asked to take a look at Automatix. - ... Conclusion: - Automatix exists
    >> to satisfy a genuine need, and further work should be carried out to
    >> determine whether these user requirements can be satisfied within the
    >> distribution as a whole. However, in its current form Automatix is
    >> actively dangerous to systems -

    > Then why does the Ubuntu Update Manager inform me of Automatix2 updates
    > if it's so dangerous and not accepted by the Ubuntu Technical Board?

    Because it respects your choice to have it installed as an option.

    By having a good look at the forums nearly anything automatix can do is
    possible in a regular way.

  9. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 02:04:40 +0200
    Alias wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    > > Alias wrote:

    > >like >> a charm. All except DVD player. i have not been able to
    > >find >> software anywhere that will allow the DVD player to play
    > >commercial >> DVDs. I've found several player softwares, some will
    > >allow the >> movie to start but stop as soon as or right after the
    > >FBI warning >> plays. Can anyone help with a specific software that
    > >will work?
    > >
    > >> You can use Automatix2 to get the proper codecs to play DVDs here:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/ind...e=Installation

    > > Automatix2 has some problems that other options don't have. There
    > > was a recent very negative article about automatix
    > >
    > > http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html the Ubuntu Technical Board
    > > were asked to take a look at Automatix. - ... Conclusion: -
    > > Automatix exists to satisfy a genuine need, and further work should
    > > be carried out to determine whether these user requirements can be
    > > satisfied within the distribution as a whole. However, in its
    > > current form Automatix is actively dangerous to systems -

    > Then why does the Ubuntu Update Manager inform me of Automatix2
    > updates if it's so dangerous and not accepted by the Ubuntu Technical
    > Board?

    Because when you install Automatix, it adds it's repository to the list.
    The Update manager queries whatever Repo's you have in that list.

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..."
    - Danny, American History X

  10. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 19:35:05 -0400
    "Michael Brown" wrote:

    > If i remember right Xine didn't wrk, but I'll try the others. thanks
    > a lot!
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "Dirk T. Verbeek" wrote in message
    > > Michael Brown schreef:
    > >> Hi I've installed Kubuntu 7.04 Fiesty Fawn and everything works

    > >like a > charm. All except DVD player. i have not been able to
    > >find software > anywhere that will allow the DVD player to play
    > >commercial DVDs. I've > found several player softwares, some will
    > >allow the movie to start but > stop as soon as or right after the
    > >FBI warning plays. Can anyone help > with a specific software that
    > >will work? >
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Mike

    > > Kaffeine, MPlayer, VLC, these all work on my computers.
    > > Probalby Xine as well.

    Xine works well, but you'll need to add the appropriate codecs...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    time..."
    - Danny, American History X

  11. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    > If i remember right Xine didn't wrk, but I'll try the others. thanks a lot!
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "Dirk T. Verbeek" wrote in message
    >> Michael Brown schreef:
    >>> Hi I've installed Kubuntu 7.04 Fiesty Fawn and everything works like a
    >>> charm. All except DVD player. i have not been able to find software
    >>> anywhere that will allow the DVD player to play commercial DVDs. I've
    >>> found several player softwares, some will allow the movie to start but
    >>> stop as soon as or right after the FBI warning plays. Can anyone help
    >>> with a specific software that will work?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Mike

    >> Kaffeine, MPlayer, VLC, these all work on my computers.
    >> Probalby Xine as well.

    i had to add medibuntu i think it was to the sourcelist file then was able
    to install the css library after that. kaffine works like a charm so does
    xine.

    --
    Chris

  12. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 01:32:17 +0200, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > Kaffeine, MPlayer, VLC, these all work on my computers.
    > Probalby Xine as well.

    VLC worked for me.

  13. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Alias wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    > > Alias wrote:

    > >> You can use Automatix2 to get the proper codecs to play DVDs here:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/ind...e=Installation

    > > Automatix2 has some problems that other options don't have. There
    > > was a recent very negative article about automatix
    > >
    > > http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html the Ubuntu Technical Board
    > > were asked to take a look at Automatix. - ... Conclusion: -
    > > Automatix exists to satisfy a genuine need, and further work should
    > > be carried out to determine whether these user requirements can be
    > > satisfied within the distribution as a whole. However, in its
    > > current form Automatix is actively dangerous to systems -

    > Then why does the Ubuntu Update Manager inform me of Automatix2
    > updates if it's so dangerous and not accepted by the Ubuntu Technical
    > Board?

    Because the good folk at Canonical feel that if you're foolish enough
    to ignore sane advice, even they don't have the right to stop you from
    taking determined aim at your feet and squeezing the trigger.

    Automatix will eventually bugger your machine. Maybe not this day, but
    somewhere down the road you'll look back and regret it.

  14. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    On 2007-09-10, Cyberiade.it Anonymous Remailer wrote:

    [...]

    > Automatix will eventually bugger your machine. Maybe not this day, but
    > somewhere down the road you'll look back and regret it.

    I am not qualified to say if Automatix damages the setup of your
    Ubuntu system but the reason that I stopped using it a while ago is
    that it impairs your ability to _understand_ what you are doing with
    your system.

    Better to print off a few walkthroughs and understand them that allow
    a script to do the thinking for you. Having said that I will admit to
    promoting the script abcde in my sig file :-)

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ubuntu_cli.html

  15. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > Alias schreef:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> Automatix2 has some problems that other options don't have. There was a
    >>> recent very negative article about automatix
    >>>
    >>> http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html the Ubuntu Technical Board were
    >>> asked to take a look at Automatix. - ... Conclusion: - Automatix exists
    >>> to satisfy a genuine need, and further work should be carried out to
    >>> determine whether these user requirements can be satisfied within the
    >>> distribution as a whole. However, in its current form Automatix is
    >>> actively dangerous to systems -

    >> Then why does the Ubuntu Update Manager inform me of Automatix2
    >> updates if it's so dangerous and not accepted by the Ubuntu Technical
    >> Board?
    >>

    > Because it respects your choice to have it installed as an option.
    >
    > By having a good look at the forums nearly anything automatix can do is
    > possible in a regular way.

    OK, so where does one get what one needs without using Automatix?
    Specifically, the codecs, Google Earth, Streamripper, Flash Player,
    Java, GDesklets, Real Player, Extra fonts, Adobe Reader,Gnome Security
    Suite, and Beagle.

    Thanks,

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  16. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Alias wrote:

    > OK, so where does one get what one needs without using Automatix?
    > Specifically, the codecs, Google Earth, Streamripper, Flash Player,
    > Java, GDesklets, Real Player, Extra fonts, Adobe Reader,Gnome Security
    > Suite, and Beagle.

    You can start with what is in here
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommonCustomizations With the many community
    customization scripts floating around, it is relevant to provide
    relevant information about the status of integrating the changes these
    scripts provide in Ubuntu.

    --
    Mike Easter

  17. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Alias illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    www.ubuntuguide.org

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  18. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> OK, so where does one get what one needs without using Automatix?
    >> Specifically, the codecs, Google Earth, Streamripper, Flash Player,
    >> Java, GDesklets, Real Player, Extra fonts, Adobe Reader,Gnome Security
    >> Suite, and Beagle.

    > You can start with what is in here
    > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommonCustomizations With the many community
    > customization scripts floating around, it is relevant to provide
    > relevant information about the status of integrating the changes these
    > scripts provide in Ubuntu.

    Thanks, very helpful.

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  19. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Moog wrote:
    > Alias illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    >>> Because it respects your choice to have it installed as an option.
    >>>
    >>> By having a good look at the forums nearly anything automatix can do is
    >>> possible in a regular way.

    >> OK, so where does one get what one needs without using Automatix?
    >> Specifically, the codecs, Google Earth, Streamripper, Flash Player,
    >> Java, GDesklets, Real Player, Extra fonts, Adobe Reader,Gnome Security
    >> Suite, and Beagle.
    >>
    >> Thanks,

    > www.ubuntuguide.org

    Thanks, very helpful.

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  20. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    On 2007-09-10, Alias wrote:

    [...]

    > OK, so where does one get what one needs without using Automatix?
    > Specifically, the codecs, Google Earth, Streamripper, Flash Player,
    > Java, GDesklets, Real Player, Extra fonts, Adobe Reader,Gnome Security
    > Suite, and Beagle.

    Hmmm... that is a big list, Moog has suggested a starting point I
    think. If you want to try something completely different for real
    player a compiled copy of mplayer with all codecs will play these
    files beautifully as well as save the streamed files offline.

    Not sure if the repository version plays Real Audio 'out of the box'
    though. If you can hold on for another 4 weeks I am writing a page
    with a big mplayer mention:

    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ftgws.html

    And a few other extras :-)

    Andrew