Kubuntu DVD player software - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Kubuntu DVD player software - Ubuntu ; Alias wrote: > Mike Easter wrote: >> Alias wrote: >>> Michael Brown wrote: >>>> Hi I've installed Kubuntu 7.04 Fiesty Fawn and everything works like >>>> a charm. All except DVD player. i have not been able to find >>>> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33

  1. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Alias wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Alias wrote:

    >>> You can use Automatix2 to get the proper codecs to play DVDs here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/ind...e=Installation

    >> Automatix2 has some problems that other options don't have. There was a
    >> recent very negative article about automatix
    >>
    >> http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html the Ubuntu Technical Board were
    >> asked to take a look at Automatix. - ... Conclusion: - Automatix exists
    >> to satisfy a genuine need, and further work should be carried out to
    >> determine whether these user requirements can be satisfied within the
    >> distribution as a whole. However, in its current form Automatix is
    >> actively dangerous to systems -

    > Then why does the Ubuntu Update Manager inform me of Automatix2
    > updates if it's so dangerous and not accepted by the Ubuntu Technical
    > Board?

    Informations about updates doesn't come from any Ubuntu Team but from the
    repositories you are using.

    Florian

  2. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    > Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >> Alias schreef:

    >>> Then why does the Ubuntu Update Manager inform me of Automatix2
    >>> updates if it's so dangerous and not accepted by the Ubuntu Technical
    >>> Board?
    >>>

    >> Because it respects your choice to have it installed as an option.
    >>
    >> By having a good look at the forums nearly anything automatix can do is
    >> possible in a regular way.

    > OK, so where does one get what one needs without using Automatix?
    > Specifically, the codecs, Google Earth, Streamripper, Flash Player,
    > Java, GDesklets, Real Player, Extra fonts, Adobe Reader,Gnome Security
    > Suite, and Beagle.
    >
    > Thanks,

    http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repository.php

    follow the directions on that page to add the medibuntu repo to your
    sourcelist. then install your codecs, google earth ect.

    --
    Chris

  3. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Joe LaVigne wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 02:04:40 +0200
    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Easter wrote:
    >>> like >> a charm. All except DVD player. i have not been able to
    >>> find >> software anywhere that will allow the DVD player to play
    >>> commercial >> DVDs. I've found several player softwares, some will
    >>> allow the >> movie to start but stop as soon as or right after the
    >>> FBI warning >> plays. Can anyone help with a specific software that
    >>> will work?

    >>> Automatix2 has some problems that other options don't have. There
    >>> was a recent very negative article about automatix
    >>>
    >>> http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html the Ubuntu Technical Board
    >>> were asked to take a look at Automatix. - ... Conclusion: -
    >>> Automatix exists to satisfy a genuine need, and further work should
    >>> be carried out to determine whether these user requirements can be
    >>> satisfied within the distribution as a whole. However, in its
    >>> current form Automatix is actively dangerous to systems -

    >> Then why does the Ubuntu Update Manager inform me of Automatix2
    >> updates if it's so dangerous and not accepted by the Ubuntu Technical
    >> Board?
    >>

    > Because when you install Automatix, it adds it's repository to the list.
    > The Update manager queries whatever Repo's you have in that list.

    Which then can be removed once you have install what you needed.

    Ram

  4. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Xine stops after about 10 seconds and I get message that DVD is encrypted.
    Which codecs do i need?

    Thanks,
    Mike
    "Joe LaVigne" wrote in message
    news:20070910011836.407dc182@barada.griffincs.loca l...
    > On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 19:35:05 -0400
    > "Michael Brown" wrote:
    >
    >> If i remember right Xine didn't wrk, but I'll try the others. thanks
    >> a lot!
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>
    >> "Dirk T. Verbeek" wrote in message
    >> >like a > charm. All except DVD player. i have not been able to
    >> >find software > anywhere that will allow the DVD player to play
    >> >commercial DVDs. I've > found several player softwares, some will
    >> >allow the movie to start but > stop as soon as or right after the
    >> >FBI warning plays. Can anyone help > with a specific software that
    >> >will work? >
    >> >
    >> > Kaffeine, MPlayer, VLC, these all work on my computers.
    >> > Probalby Xine as well.

    > Xine works well, but you'll need to add the appropriate codecs...
    >

    > --
    > Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    >
    > "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    > time..."
    > - Danny, American History X

  5. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Michael Brown illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:F...ack_capability

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  6. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    hanks Moog. I'm getting this error message when trying to libdvdcss2:
    "Package libdvdcss2 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only
    available from another source."

    Mike
    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Michael Brown illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Xine stops after about 10 seconds and I get message that DVD is
    >> encrypted.
    >> Which codecs do i need?

    > http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:F...ack_capability
    >
    > --
    > Moog
    >
    > "Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the
    > leather straps."

  7. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Michael Brown wrote:

    > hanks Moog. I'm getting this error message when trying to libdvdcss2:
    > "Package libdvdcss2 is not available, but is referred to by another
    > package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    > is only available from another source."

    More than likely you need to open up other repos in your sources.list.

    Cheers.

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  8. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Okay now the $1000 question...how do I do that? I'm pretty new at this.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    "NoStop" wrote in message
    > Michael Brown wrote:
    >
    >> hanks Moog. I'm getting this error message when trying to libdvdcss2:
    >> "Package libdvdcss2 is not available, but is referred to by another
    >> package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted,
    >> or
    >> is only available from another source."
    >>

    > More than likely you need to open up other repos in your sources.list.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    > Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  9. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Michael Brown wrote:

    > Okay now the $1000 question...how do I do that? I'm pretty new at this.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike

    Read and learn ...

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories

    Cheers.

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  10. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    andrew wrote:
    > On 2007-09-10, Alias wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> OK, so where does one get what one needs without using Automatix?
    >> Specifically, the codecs, Google Earth, Streamripper, Flash Player,
    >> Java, GDesklets, Real Player, Extra fonts, Adobe Reader,Gnome Security
    >> Suite, and Beagle.

    > Hmmm... that is a big list, Moog has suggested a starting point I
    > think. If you want to try something completely different for real
    > player a compiled copy of mplayer with all codecs will play these
    > files beautifully as well as save the streamed files offline.
    >
    > Not sure if the repository version plays Real Audio 'out of the box'
    > though. If you can hold on for another 4 weeks I am writing a page
    > with a big mplayer mention:
    >
    > http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ftgws.html
    >
    > And a few other extras :-)
    >
    > Andrew

    A lot of these things are by default in mint linux.
    Mint is based on Ubuntu

    Marc

  11. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:27:22 -0400, Michael Brown wrote:

    > Okay now the $1000 question...how do I do that? I'm pretty new at this.

    Either follow the instructions on the page:
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty
    in the section:
    How to install DVD playback capability
    Or, download this file:
    http://download.videolan.org/pub/lib...2.9-1_i386.deb
    open a terminal window, change the working directory to where you
    installed the file, then run
    'sudo dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.9-1_i386.deb'
    and it will be installed.

    --
    Chris Game

    "Chance favors only the prepared mind." -- Louis Pasteur

  12. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:05:04 -0400, Michael Brown wrote:

    > Xine stops after about 10 seconds and I get message that DVD is encrypted.
    > Which codecs do i need?

    Just install VLC instead and you will have no troubles playing DVD movies.

  13. Re: Kubuntu DVD player software

    Michael Brown illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > hanks Moog. I'm getting this error message when trying to libdvdcss2:
    > "Package libdvdcss2 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    > This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only
    > available from another source."

    The instructions are here Michael.
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:F...a_repositories

    --