IM Question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on IM Question - Ubuntu ; Am using Gaim for the first time. Since I exclusively Ubuntu I can't establish an IM account thorugh the more 'traditional' ways such as Yahoo or Microsoft. How do I set up Gaim to work without an existing account? Or, ...

  1. IM Question

    Am using Gaim for the first time. Since I exclusively Ubuntu I can't
    establish an IM account thorugh the more 'traditional' ways such as Yahoo
    or Microsoft. How do I set up Gaim to work without an existing account?
    Or, is there somewhere I can go to set up a Linux IM account?

    TIA

  2. Re: IM Question

    frank wrote:

    > Am using Gaim for the first time. Since I exclusively Ubuntu I can't
    > establish an IM account thorugh the more 'traditional' ways such as Yahoo
    > or Microsoft. How do I set up Gaim to work without an existing account?
    > Or, is there somewhere I can go to set up a Linux IM account?
    >
    > TIA

    You can open a hotmail account or a gmail account or both. This will allow
    you to use GAIM to access MSN or Jabber.

    Cheers.

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  3. Re: IM Question

    frank, on 09/09/2007 09:01 AM said:
    > Am using Gaim for the first time. Since I exclusively Ubuntu I can't
    > establish an IM account thorugh the more 'traditional' ways such as Yahoo
    > or Microsoft. How do I set up Gaim to work without an existing account?
    > Or, is there somewhere I can go to set up a Linux IM account?

    You'll want to check out something called Jabber (aka XMPP). If you
    have a Gmail account, you already have a Jabber account, too -- It's
    called Gtalk.

    Also, if you're running Ubuntu Feisty, you'll probably want to upgrade
    to Pidgin (unless you're paying Canonical for support) by checking out
    the pidgin repository that I have, below. It fixes _many_ bugs in the
    GAIM beta that was in Feisty.

    -- Mike

    --
    Michael B. Trausch http://www.trausch.us/
    Pidgin 2.1.1 and plugins for Ubuntu Feisty!

  4. Re: IM Question

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 08:01:10 -0500, frank wrote:
    > Am using Gaim for the first time. Since I exclusively Ubuntu I can't
    > establish an IM account thorugh the more 'traditional' ways such as Yahoo
    > or Microsoft. How do I set up Gaim to work without an existing account?
    > Or, is there somewhere I can go to set up a Linux IM account?
    >
    > TIA

    Find out what service your friends/associates use and sign up with that
    service. Most if not all will give you and account/username for free nad
    it should not matter that you use Linux. My kids and their friends use
    Yahoo and make faces at each other using their webcams. BTW my kids
    only use Linux!

    Cheers,
    Goph

    --
    Google is your friend LRU# 195835
    http://www.google.com

  5. Re: IM Question

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 13:17:38 GMT
    NoStop wrote:

    > frank wrote:
    >
    > > Am using Gaim for the first time. Since I exclusively Ubuntu I can't
    > > establish an IM account thorugh the more 'traditional' ways such as Yahoo
    > > or Microsoft. How do I set up Gaim to work without an existing account?
    > > Or, is there somewhere I can go to set up a Linux IM account?
    > >
    > > TIA

    > You can open a hotmail account or a gmail account or both. This will allow
    > you to use GAIM to access MSN or Jabber.

    For MSN you don't need a hotmail account, just a Windows Live ID
    (http://www.passport.net/), which can be set up using any existing
    email address.

    Although for Frank, you might want to check what protocols your buddies
    are using, that should influence your choice of IM account ;-)

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

+ Reply to Thread