gs 8.54 in feisty - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on gs 8.54 in feisty - Ubuntu ; receiving very rubbish images on my HP Color Laserjet 1600, Rick from http://foo2hp.rkkda.com/ advised me to install gs 8.54. I achieved this on feisty (7.04) by installing gs-gpl and manually linking /usr/bin/gs-gpl to /usr/bin/gs ... but is this the correct ...

  1. gs 8.54 in feisty

    receiving very rubbish images on my HP Color Laserjet 1600, Rick from
    http://foo2hp.rkkda.com/ advised me to install gs 8.54.
    I achieved this on feisty (7.04) by installing gs-gpl and manually
    linking /usr/bin/gs-gpl to /usr/bin/gs ... but is this the correct way?
    And what about the transitional package "gs" I found?
    Additionally, Rick says not to use the ubuntu-foo2hp-packages, whilst
    Synaptics on Feisty says Rick's foo2hp-homepage is the source of the
    foo2hp package ... both foo2hp2600-wrapper and foo2hp files seem
    identical, having the same problem: color defaults to monochrome, the
    testing-page beeing printed sw.

    Really confused, W

  2. Re: gs 8.54 in feisty

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 10:19:00 +0200,
    werner bauer wrote:
    > receiving very rubbish images on my HP Color Laserjet 1600, Rick
    > from http://foo2hp.rkkda.com/ advised me to install gs 8.54. I
    > achieved this on feisty (7.04) by installing gs-gpl and manually
    > linking /usr/bin/gs-gpl to /usr/bin/gs ... but is this the correct
    > way? And what about the transitional package "gs" I found?

    I'm too lazy to check, but if you had to link /usr/bin/gs-gpl to
    /usr/bin/gs, that would have been done by the transitional package gs,
    much like Debian shows firefox as a transitional package, when it's
    basically a handful of links and scripts to call iceweasel.

    A transitional package may provide man/info pages as well.

    Michael C.
    --
    mjchappell@verizon.net http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    You can't change the past, but you can spoil a perfectly good
    present by worrying about the future.

  3. Re: gs 8.54 in feisty

    Michael C. schrieb:
    > I'm too lazy to check, but if you had to link /usr/bin/gs-gpl to
    > /usr/bin/gs, that would have been done by the transitional package gs

    I don' think so. The transitional package delivers only 3 files,
    copyright, NEWS and changelog. News containing something about v 8.01-5
    (per apr 2004), copyright saying it was debianized in 2004, and
    changelog says it is rebuild because of some amd64 issues. Seems there
    is nothing done ...

    gs-gpl installs files in /usr/share/gs-gpl/8.54 whilst the original
    gs-files in feisty are in /usr/share/gs-esp/8.15 ...?
    still and more confused ...
    Werner

+ Reply to Thread