Mutt w/Getmail - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Mutt w/Getmail - Ubuntu ; For some time now, I've been using Mutt with Getmail and sSMTP and continue to do so, however, a strange thing has happened after installing several apps and themes. Before the installations, my email messages would automatically be retrieved at ...

  1. Mutt w/Getmail

    For some time now, I've been using Mutt with Getmail and sSMTP and continue
    to do so, however, a strange thing has happened after installing several
    apps and themes. Before the installations, my email messages would
    automatically be retrieved at the start of Mutt without me having to
    manually invoke Getmail. Now, it no longer does it. I have to manually
    invoke Getmail to retrieve my messages. What could be the problem? Any
    assistance is appreciated, as always. Thank you.

    --
    Just me, D
    (Ubuntu User# 16887)

  2. Re: Mutt w/Getmail

    * Doug Jamal :
    > For some time now, I've been using Mutt with Getmail and sSMTP and
    > continue to do so, however, a strange thing has happened after
    > installing several apps and themes. Before the installations, my
    > email messages would automatically be retrieved at the start of Mutt
    > without me having to manually invoke Getmail. Now, it no longer does
    > it. I have to manually invoke Getmail to retrieve my messages. What
    > could be the problem? Any assistance is appreciated, as always.
    > Thank you.

    What applications and themes were installed? Were these installed from
    Ubuntu's package repositories or from sources outside of those?

    Do you have a cron job to periodically call getmail, or do you have an
    alias or script to see that getmail is called before starting Mutt?
    Ubuntu does not provide a default configuration in which getmail is
    called automatically: it is upto users to make such a customization for
    themselves.

    Without some elaboration on your configurations, one could only guess
    about what might be causing the change in behaviour that you note.

    --
    James Michael Fultz
    Remove this part when replying ^^^^^^^^

  3. Re: Mutt w/Getmail

    On 2007-09-09, James Michael Fultz intrigued me by typing:
    > * Doug Jamal :
    >> For some time now, I've been using Mutt with Getmail and sSMTP and
    >> continue to do so, however, a strange thing has happened after
    >> installing several apps and themes. Before the installations, my
    >> email messages would automatically be retrieved at the start of Mutt
    >> without me having to manually invoke Getmail. Now, it no longer does
    >> it. I have to manually invoke Getmail to retrieve my messages. What
    >> could be the problem? Any assistance is appreciated, as always.
    >> Thank you.

    > What applications and themes were installed?

    I installed KompoZer, Emacs and Gnus as well as almost all of the Ubuntu
    themes.

    > Were these installed from
    > Ubuntu's package repositories or from sources outside of those?

    All were installed from the Ubuntu repository.

    > Do you have a cron job to periodically call getmail, or do you have an
    > alias or script to see that getmail is called before starting Mutt?

    I have a cron job running and it is set to getmail every 5 minutes.
    Remember, I've had Mutt and Getmail installed for a while now. Everything
    is configured and have been configured to my liking. I didn't just install
    Mutt overnight. My .muttrc file looks like this:

    set realname = "D. Jamal"
    set sendmail="/usr/sbin/ssmtp"
    set from = "my email address"
    set spoolfile=~/Mail/maildir
    set folder="~/Mail/maildir"
    set record="+Sent"
    set mbox="+mbox"
    set postponed="+Unsent"
    set copy = yes
    set move=ask-yes
    set askbcc=yes
    set editor="joe"
    macro index G "!getmail -v\n" "Invoke getmail"
    set query_command="abook --mutt-query '%s'"

    My getmailrc file:

    [options]
    verbose = 0
    read_all = False
    delete = False

    [retriever]
    type = SimplePOP3SSLRetriever
    server = pop.gmail.com
    username = my email address
    port = 995
    password = my password

    [filter]
    type = Filter_external
    path = /usr/bin/spamassassin

    [destination]
    type = Maildir
    path = ~/Mail/maildir/

    > Ubuntu does not provide a default configuration in which getmail is
    > called automatically: it is upto users to make such a customization for
    > themselves.

    Yes sir, I know.

    > Without some elaboration on your configurations, one could only guess
    > about what might be causing the change in behaviour that you note.

    Please see the above configurations. Keep in mind that I removed my actual
    email address and password. Anyway, thank you for replying. I truly do
    appreciate it. Take care.

    --
    Just me, D
    (Ubuntu User# 16887)

  4. Re: Mutt w/Getmail

    On 2007-09-09, Bill Marcum intrigued me by typing:
    > On 09 Sep 2007 01:07:02 GMT, Doug Jamal
    > wrote:
    >>

    >> For some time now, I've been using Mutt with Getmail and sSMTP and continue
    >> to do so, however, a strange thing has happened after installing several
    >> apps and themes. Before the installations, my email messages would
    >> automatically be retrieved at the start of Mutt without me having to
    >> manually invoke Getmail. Now, it no longer does it. I have to manually
    >> invoke Getmail to retrieve my messages. What could be the problem? Any
    >> assistance is appreciated, as always. Thank you.
    >>

    > If you have an always-on internet connection, you should have a crontab
    > to run getmail at regular intervals, or maybe getmail can run as a
    > daemon; I use fetchmail running as a daemon. If you use dialup, one of
    > the scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d should start getmail.

    Thank you for replying. I do have a cron job running to have Getmail check
    for new messages every 5 minutes. I do have an always-on internet
    connection (Roadrunner), however, my laptop is not always on (laugh).
    Anyway, I responded to another poster and I posted my .muttrc and getmailrc
    settings. Check 'em out. But like I stated in my original post, Getmail
    used to automatically check for new messages at the start of Mutt. It
    doesn't do that anymore. I now have to manually invoke Getmail (shift+g) to
    initiate a mail check after starting Mutt. Other than that, everything
    works as configured. Again, thank you for replying. Take care.
    --
    Just me, D
    (Ubuntu User# 16887)

  5. Re: Mutt w/Getmail

    On 10 Sep 2007 01:23:06 GMT Doug Jamal wrote:

    > Thank you for replying. I do have a cron job running to have Getmail
    > check for new messages every 5 minutes. I do have an always-on
    > internet connection (Roadrunner), however, my laptop is not always on
    > (laugh). Anyway, I responded to another poster and I posted
    > my .muttrc and getmailrc settings. Check 'em out. But like I stated
    > in my original post, Getmail used to automatically check for new
    > messages at the start of Mutt. It doesn't do that anymore. I now
    > have to manually invoke Getmail (shift+g) to initiate a mail check
    > after starting Mutt. Other than that, everything works as
    > configured. Again, thank you for replying. Take care.

    Just a total shot in the dark here, but has Mutt been updated, and
    could it as a result have been returned to a default setting of not
    automatically checking for new messages? Like I said, a shot in the
    dark... (:

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  6. Re: Mutt w/Getmail

    * Doug Jamal :
    [ ... ]
    > I installed KompoZer, Emacs and Gnus as well as almost all of the Ubuntu
    > themes.

    None of those should affect the operation of Mutt, getmail, or cron to
    my knowledge.

    However...

    > All were installed from the Ubuntu repository.

    KompoZer does not appear to be in Ubuntu's repositories. Are you using
    any third-party repositories that might have caused other packages to be
    upgraded?

    > I have a cron job running and it is set to getmail every 5 minutes.
    > Remember, I've had Mutt and Getmail installed for a while now. Everything

    [ ... ]

    There were no errors in your getmailrc and muttrc that are obvious to
    me. Since running getmail manually seems to work without incidence,
    there must be a problem specific to its invocation from your crontab.

    Is your crontab unchanged? Posting it, at least the entry that invokes
    getmail, might prove useful here.

    Also have a look at '/var/log/syslog*' for any error messages from cron.
    crond also reports on cronjobs via email if a local MTA is installed.
    If do not wish to install an MTA or are redirecting getmail's messages
    to '/dev/null', you could instead redirect getmail's messages to a
    logfile for analysis of what error may be occurring when it is being
    invoked via cron. Something like:

    getmail --this-is-an-option >> $HOME/getmail.log

    Using '>>' to append to the file so that earlier writes are not
    overwritten. There is also a '--trace' option for getmail to print
    extended information which may be useful for debugging.

    > Please see the above configurations. Keep in mind that I removed my actual
    > email address and password. Anyway, thank you for replying. I truly do
    > appreciate it. Take care.

    You're welcome. I hope that my reply has been of some assistance.

    --
    James Michael Fultz
    Remove this part when replying ^^^^^^^^

  7. Re: Mutt w/Getmail

    On 2007-09-10, James Michael Fultz intrigued me by typing:
    > * Doug Jamal :
    > [ ... ]
    >> I installed KompoZer, Emacs and Gnus as well as almost all of the Ubuntu
    >> themes.

    > None of those should affect the operation of Mutt, getmail, or cron to
    > my knowledge.

    My thoughts exactly

    > However...

    Darn! (laughing)

    >> All were installed from the Ubuntu repository.

    > KompoZer does not appear to be in Ubuntu's repositories. Are you using
    > any third-party repositories that might have caused other packages to be
    > upgraded?

    I will double check my installed apps and get back with you.

    >> I have a cron job running and it is set to getmail every 5 minutes.
    >> Remember, I've had Mutt and Getmail installed for a while now. Everything

    > [ ... ]
    >
    > There were no errors in your getmailrc and muttrc that are obvious to
    > me. Since running getmail manually seems to work without incidence,
    > there must be a problem specific to its invocation from your crontab.

    Should I re-invoke the cron job?

    > You're welcome. I hope that my reply has been of some assistance.

    Believe me, I've learned quite a bit from reading your reply. Thank you
    again.

    --
    Just me, D
    (Ubuntu User# 16887)

  8. Re: Mutt w/Getmail

    On 2007-09-10, Little Girl intrigued me by typing:
    > On 10 Sep 2007 01:23:06 GMT Doug Jamal wrote:
    >

    >> Thank you for replying. I do have a cron job running to have Getmail
    >> check for new messages every 5 minutes. I do have an always-on
    >> internet connection (Roadrunner), however, my laptop is not always on
    >> (laugh). Anyway, I responded to another poster and I posted
    >> my .muttrc and getmailrc settings. Check 'em out. But like I stated
    >> in my original post, Getmail used to automatically check for new
    >> messages at the start of Mutt. It doesn't do that anymore. I now
    >> have to manually invoke Getmail (shift+g) to initiate a mail check
    >> after starting Mutt. Other than that, everything works as
    >> configured. Again, thank you for replying. Take care.

    > Just a total shot in the dark here, but has Mutt been updated, and
    > could it as a result have been returned to a default setting of not
    > automatically checking for new messages? Like I said, a shot in the
    > dark... (:

    I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I have version 1.5.13-1.1ubuntu3
    --
    Just me, D
    (Ubuntu User# 16887)

  9. Re: Mutt w/Getmail

    * Doug Jamal :
    > On 2007-09-10, James Michael Fultz intrigued me by typing:

    [ ... ]
    >> KompoZer does not appear to be in Ubuntu's repositories. Are you using
    >> any third-party repositories that might have caused other packages to be
    >> upgraded?

    > I will double check my installed apps and get back with you.

    Probably not a problem, but still something to keep in mind when
    something is not working as expected.

    >> There were no errors in your getmailrc and muttrc that are obvious to
    >> me. Since running getmail manually seems to work without incidence,
    >> there must be a problem specific to its invocation from your crontab.

    > Should I re-invoke the cron job?

    Sure, and monitor it for errors. Had it been disabled?

    --
    James Michael Fultz
    Remove this part when replying ^^^^^^^^

+ Reply to Thread