VMWare Player running on Vista PC - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on VMWare Player running on Vista PC - Ubuntu ; First of all, let me apologize for the stupidity of my last post. Indeed I realize that putting the newsgroup name as my subject was rather odd behaviour, however, I was not able to get it fixed before the post ...

  1. VMWare Player running on Vista PC

    First of all, let me apologize for the stupidity of my last post.
    Indeed I realize that putting the newsgroup name as my subject was
    rather odd behaviour, however, I was not able to get it fixed before the
    post went out.

    Secondly, I should explain better what I am trying to do.
    I installed VMWare Player and downloaded the Gutsy Tribe appliance to my Vista machine
    and would like to experiment with it. I think I made a mistake. What I
    should have done was install VMWare Player on my current Feisty server
    and use the appliance from there. Otherwise, how will I be able to use
    the Xubuntu without a username and password.

    So I will retract my last question (with many apologies for wasting your
    time) and continue with my exploration. If you have constructive
    comments for me (without slagging on Vista as I know it's not Linux) I
    would appreciate them, keeping in mind that I am only trying to get
    VMWare Player working so that I can try out some of the other distros
    that are out there.

    --
    What were you? A jock or a brain?" http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    "I was a ghost." PSK - RLU 452647

  2. Re: VMWare Player running on Vista PC

    Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:

    > First of all, let me apologize for the stupidity of my last post.
    > Indeed I realize that putting the newsgroup name as my subject was
    > rather odd behaviour, however, I was not able to get it fixed before the
    > post went out.
    >
    > Secondly, I should explain better what I am trying to do.
    > I installed VMWare Player and downloaded the Gutsy Tribe appliance to my
    > Vista machine
    > and would like to experiment with it. I think I made a mistake. What I
    > should have done was install VMWare Player on my current Feisty server
    > and use the appliance from there. Otherwise, how will I be able to use
    > the Xubuntu without a username and password.

    The VM should run equally on either Vista running VMPlayer or Ubuntu running
    VMPlayer. I don't know why you require a username/password?

    Cheers.

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  3. Re: VMWare Player running on Vista PC

    On 2007-09-09, NoStop wrote:
    > Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:
    >
    >> First of all, let me apologize for the stupidity of my last post.
    >> Indeed I realize that putting the newsgroup name as my subject was
    >> rather odd behaviour, however, I was not able to get it fixed before the
    >> post went out.
    >>
    >> Secondly, I should explain better what I am trying to do.
    >> I installed VMWare Player and downloaded the Gutsy Tribe appliance to my
    >> Vista machine
    >> and would like to experiment with it. I think I made a mistake. What I
    >> should have done was install VMWare Player on my current Feisty server
    >> and use the appliance from there. Otherwise, how will I be able to use
    >> the Xubuntu without a username and password.
    >>

    > The VM should run equally on either Vista running VMPlayer or Ubuntu running
    > VMPlayer. I don't know why you require a username/password?
    >
    > Cheers.

    It is asking me for a username and password. I don't know why, but it
    is. I start up VMWare Player, load the appliance and I am presented
    with the standard Xubuntu login screen. I don't know what else I can
    say.

    --
    What were you? A jock or a brain?" http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    "I was a ghost." PSK - RLU 452647
    Warrick Brown and Gil Grissom (Bully for You)

  4. Re: VMWare Player running on Vista PC

    On 2007-09-09, Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:
    > On 2007-09-09, NoStop wrote:
    >> Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:
    >>
    >>> First of all, let me apologize for the stupidity of my last post.
    >>> Indeed I realize that putting the newsgroup name as my subject was
    >>> rather odd behaviour, however, I was not able to get it fixed before the
    >>> post went out.
    >>>
    >>> Secondly, I should explain better what I am trying to do.
    >>> I installed VMWare Player and downloaded the Gutsy Tribe appliance to my
    >>> Vista machine
    >>> and would like to experiment with it. I think I made a mistake. What I
    >>> should have done was install VMWare Player on my current Feisty server
    >>> and use the appliance from there. Otherwise, how will I be able to use
    >>> the Xubuntu without a username and password.
    >>>

    >> The VM should run equally on either Vista running VMPlayer or Ubuntu running
    >> VMPlayer. I don't know why you require a username/password?
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > It is asking me for a username and password. I don't know why, but it
    > is. I start up VMWare Player, load the appliance and I am presented
    > with the standard Xubuntu login screen. I don't know what else I can
    > say.

    Once again, google proves its worth

    http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/968

    --
    What were you? A jock or a brain?" http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    "I was a ghost." PSK - RLU 452647
    Warrick Brown and Gil Grissom (Bully for You)

  5. Re: VMWare Player running on Vista PC

    > > It is asking me for a username and password. I don't know why, but it
    > > is. I start up VMWare Player, load the appliance and I am presented
    > > with the standard Xubuntu login screen. I don't know what else I can
    > > say.

    > Once again, google proves its worth
    > http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/968

    It does help when people downloading preconfigured appliances bother
    to read past the "download here" link :-}

  6. Re: VMWare Player running on Vista PC

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 10:52:27 GMT, Colin Wilson expounded upon us
    in alt.os.linux.ubuntu :

    >> > It is asking me for a username and password. I don't know
    >> > why, but it is. I start up VMWare Player, load the appliance
    >> > and I am presented with the standard Xubuntu login screen. I
    >> > don't know what else I can say.

    >> Once again, google proves its worth
    >> http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/968

    > It does help when people downloading preconfigured appliances
    > bother to read past the "download here" link :-}

    Actually, the appliances that I downloaded, once run through 7-zip
    create a README.txt file which contains the usernames and passwords
    that can be used with the distro in VM mode. However, the username
    for root "sudo" and password does not work for the Xubuntu VM
    Appliance. The other distros I have tried (like PCLOS) do not have
    this problem.

    --
    What were you? A jock or a brain?"
    http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    "I was a ghost." PSK - RLU 452647
    Warrick Brown and Gil Grissom (Bully for You)

+ Reply to Thread