[OT Maybe] Question about remote access - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on [OT Maybe] Question about remote access - Ubuntu ; I have a question about something I saw on the way home from work yesterday. On the road beside us, was a shuttle bus that displayed a banner reading "Internet Access On Board". To me, this would indicate that they ...

  1. [OT Maybe] Question about remote access

    I have a question about something I saw on the way home from work
    yesterday. On the road beside us, was a shuttle bus that displayed a
    banner reading "Internet Access On Board". To me, this would indicate
    that they have some sort of ISP/wi-fi that allows passengers access to
    the internet. However, there was no satallite dish or any other
    indicators that would show that there is some sort of access point
    eminating from the vehicle. This may be the wrong forum to ask, but I
    would think that someone in here could illuminate me on how the hell
    they can do this. Obviously it is possible, but I can't figure out how
    they do it.

    --
    What were you? A jock or a brain?" http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    "I was a ghost." PSK - RLU 452647

  2. Re: [OT Maybe] Question about remote access

    Pseudo Silk Kimono schreef:
    > I have a question about something I saw on the way home from work
    > yesterday. On the road beside us, was a shuttle bus that displayed a
    > banner reading "Internet Access On Board". To me, this would indicate
    > that they have some sort of ISP/wi-fi that allows passengers access to
    > the internet. However, there was no satallite dish or any other
    > indicators that would show that there is some sort of access point
    > eminating from the vehicle. This may be the wrong forum to ask, but I
    > would think that someone in here could illuminate me on how the hell
    > they can do this. Obviously it is possible, but I can't figure out how
    > they do it.

    G3, GPRS, UMTS, HSDPA.
    There are quite a few cell phone like technologies that could be used.
    All depending what's available in a particular area.

  3. Re: [OT Maybe] Question about remote access

    On Sat, 8 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    , Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:

    >On the road beside us, was a shuttle bus that displayed a banner reading
    >"Internet Access On Board". To me, this would indicate that they have
    >some sort of ISP/wi-fi that allows passengers access to the internet.

    Most likely.

    >However, there was no satallite dish or any other indicators that would
    >show that there is some sort of access point eminating from the vehicle.

    Ummm, what are you expecting to see on the vehicle? (Thinking initially
    of our satellite access point at work in 1975 - a ten meter / 33 foot
    dish, with a one kilowatt transmitter in a small building under the
    dish at the back of the parking lot, which gave us a 1 Megabit link to
    another company facility overseas.) Care to look at a Boeing 777, and
    tell me where the satellite data link antenna is? (It's a conformal plate
    on the top of the fuselage just aft of the forward entry door.) There is
    a provision (few airlines have decided to include the service yet) for
    giving you total Internet access from your seat in the cabin - most are
    wireless, at least one is based on 100BaseT networking plugging into a
    socket on the arm-rest of your seat. (Gotta love it - the stews flogging
    Ethernet cables as well as those crap acoustical headphones so you can
    watch the movie. Well, the airlines have to get income somewhere - see
    the 'Southwest Airlines' TV commercials if you're in the .us.)

    >This may be the wrong forum to ask, but I would think that someone in
    >here could illuminate me on how the hell they can do this. Obviously it
    >is possible, but I can't figure out how they do it.

    As "Dirk T. Verbeek" indicates in another response, it doesn't have to
    be a satellite technology. Cell-phone like access has been available in
    a number of cities for several years now.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread