Ubuntu random shutdown .. or perhaps standby? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu random shutdown .. or perhaps standby? - Ubuntu ; Hi all, P4 2.0ish 512 ram ASUS motherboard Nvidia video Ubuntu 7.04 This computer, when left running for a longer period (say overnight) doesn't want to wake up in the morning! Well, everything seems to be running in the box ...

  1. Ubuntu random shutdown .. or perhaps standby?

    Hi all,

    P4 2.0ish 512 ram ASUS motherboard Nvidia video
    Ubuntu 7.04

    This computer, when left running for a longer period (say overnight)
    doesn't want to wake up in the morning! Well, everything seems to be
    running in the box but the screen remains black - no amount of banging
    on the keyboard or shaking of the mouse can rouse it from its slumber.
    I end up doing a hard shutdown.

    Anyway, I was thinking this could perhaps be some weird feature where
    some clever key combo wakes it up - or it is just some problem I'm having.

    Any ideas about how to wake it up? Or how about some kind of
    error/event log I could view after restarting?

    As always any ideas are gratefully accepted!

  2. Re: Ubuntu random shutdown .. or perhaps standby?

    "edgy" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > P4 2.0ish 512 ram ASUS motherboard Nvidia video
    > Ubuntu 7.04
    >
    > This computer, when left running for a longer period (say overnight)
    > doesn't want to wake up in the morning!

    Don't you know that Linux never crashes? It runs forever. Ther must be
    something wrong with your hardware, like the washing machine or dryer. If
    they work, check your refrigerator

  3. Re: Ubuntu random shutdown .. or perhaps standby?

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 22:32:30 -0400, Hobart wrote:

    > "edgy" wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> P4 2.0ish 512 ram ASUS motherboard Nvidia video
    >> Ubuntu 7.04
    >>
    >> This computer, when left running for a longer period (say overnight)
    >> doesn't want to wake up in the morning!

    > Don't you know that Linux never crashes? It runs forever. Ther must be
    > something wrong with your hardware, like the washing machine or dryer. If
    > they work, check your refrigerator

    You are correct, sir. I've been using Linux on, usually, four or more
    machines at a time for over seven years. I have yet to see Linux crash
    short of a hardware malfuntion. Sounds to me like it's going into
    hibernate state and not waking up. Could also be an X problem - have you
    tried in that situation? It will restart X.

  4. Re: Ubuntu random shutdown .. or perhaps standby?

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 22:14:51 -0400, edgy wrote:

    > P4 2.0ish 512 ram ASUS motherboard Nvidia video
    > Ubuntu 7.04

    Hardware or ACPI issue, but the minitor in most cases. What brand
    of monitor? Acer? View Sonic? What is your power saving settings?

    --
    Vista sucks! Period.

  5. Re: Ubuntu random shutdown .. or perhaps standby?

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 22:14:51 -0400, edgy wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > P4 2.0ish 512 ram ASUS motherboard Nvidia video
    > Ubuntu 7.04
    >
    > This computer, when left running for a longer period (say overnight)
    > doesn't want to wake up in the morning! Well, everything seems to be
    > running in the box but the screen remains black - no amount of banging
    > on the keyboard or shaking of the mouse can rouse it from its slumber.
    > I end up doing a hard shutdown.
    >
    > Anyway, I was thinking this could perhaps be some weird feature where
    > some clever key combo wakes it up - or it is just some problem I'm having.
    >
    > Any ideas about how to wake it up? Or how about some kind of
    > error/event log I could view after restarting?
    >
    > As always any ideas are gratefully accepted!

    I had the same problem. I logged in remote and discovered that my
    computer was still doing working on the inside, just nothing on monitor,
    and the keyboard would not respond. If I then remotely commanded it to
    restart gdm with "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart" it would be fine. I found
    that by remove "gnome-screensaver" and installing "xscreensaver" it would
    no longer freeze up the monitor after a night of rest. I first tried
    disabling power management in gnome-screensaver, but it still would
    freeze. With xscreensaver, I disabled power management also, and it works
    fine now. But after hours on, the screen is still lit. So I waste some
    electricity, or push the power button on my monitor. I also have asus
    motherboard and nvidia graphics. 7.04 ubuntu

    If you do install xscreensaver, you run the program xscreensaver-demo to
    configure xscreensaver.

    I think something is wrong with the asus power-management, as I have
    another box with an abit board and nvidia graphics that has no problems.

    stonerfish

  6. Re: Ubuntu random shutdown .. or perhaps standby?

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 20:41:31 -0600, ray wrote:

    >> "edgy" wrote in message
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> P4 2.0ish 512 ram ASUS motherboard Nvidia video
    >>> Ubuntu 7.04
    >>>
    >>> This computer, when left running for a longer period (say overnight)
    >>> doesn't want to wake up in the morning!

    > Sounds to me like it's going into
    > hibernate state and not waking up.

    I can confirm that if I ever try hibernate or suspend on this computer it
    will blank out and need a hard restart to get back up. I don't need or
    uses suspend or hibernate, and would remove the options from the shutdown
    screen, if I knew how.

    >Could also be an X problem - have you
    > tried ctrl> in that situation? It will restart X.

    With my problem, when the freeze would happen, the keyboard also would not
    work. and ctrl>

    stonerfish

  7. Re: Ubuntu random shutdown .. or perhaps standby?

    Hobart wrote:
    > "edgy" wrote in message
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> P4 2.0ish 512 ram ASUS motherboard Nvidia video
    >> Ubuntu 7.04
    >>
    >> This computer, when left running for a longer period (say overnight)
    >> doesn't want to wake up in the morning!
    >>

    > Don't you know that Linux never crashes? It runs forever. Ther must be
    > something wrong with your hardware, like the washing machine or dryer. If
    > they work, check your refrigerator

    If all else fails, the Maytag Repairman is probably available. ;-)

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  8. Re: Ubuntu random shutdown .. or perhaps standby?

    Hobart wrote:

    > "edgy" wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > P4 2.0ish 512 ram ASUS motherboard Nvidia video
    > > Ubuntu 7.04
    > >
    > > This computer, when left running for a longer period (say
    > > overnight) doesn't want to wake up in the morning!

    > Don't you know that Linux never crashes? It runs forever. Ther must
    > be something wrong with your hardware, like the washing machine or
    > dryer. If they work, check your refrigerator

    Only a hapless Wintard would automatically conclude an unresponsive
    console is synonymous with an OS crash.

    Because with Wimblows, it is.

  9. Re: Ubuntu random shutdown .. or perhaps standby?

    jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 22:14:51 -0400, edgy wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> P4 2.0ish 512 ram ASUS motherboard Nvidia video
    >> Ubuntu 7.04
    >>
    >> This computer, when left running for a longer period (say overnight)
    >> doesn't want to wake up in the morning! Well, everything seems to be
    >> running in the box but the screen remains black - no amount of banging
    >> on the keyboard or shaking of the mouse can rouse it from its slumber.
    >> I end up doing a hard shutdown.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I was thinking this could perhaps be some weird feature where
    >> some clever key combo wakes it up - or it is just some problem I'm having.
    >>
    >> Any ideas about how to wake it up? Or how about some kind of
    >> error/event log I could view after restarting?
    >>
    >> As always any ideas are gratefully accepted!

    > I had the same problem. I logged in remote and discovered that my
    > computer was still doing working on the inside, just nothing on monitor,
    > and the keyboard would not respond. If I then remotely commanded it to
    > restart gdm with "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart" it would be fine. I found
    > that by remove "gnome-screensaver" and installing "xscreensaver" it would
    > no longer freeze up the monitor after a night of rest. I first tried
    > disabling power management in gnome-screensaver, but it still would
    > freeze. With xscreensaver, I disabled power management also, and it works
    > fine now. But after hours on, the screen is still lit. So I waste some
    > electricity, or push the power button on my monitor. I also have asus
    > motherboard and nvidia graphics. 7.04 ubuntu
    >
    > If you do install xscreensaver, you run the program xscreensaver-demo to
    > configure xscreensaver.
    >
    > I think something is wrong with the asus power-management, as I have
    > another box with an abit board and nvidia graphics that has no problems.
    >
    > stonerfish

    Hmm, ok.. it's good to know I'm not alone! So is is safe to say that
    with xscreensaver exhibited the same problems before you disabled power
    management?

  10. Re: Ubuntu random shutdown .. or perhaps standby?

    >> "edgy" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> This computer, when left running for a longer period (say
    >>> overnight) doesn't want to wake up in the morning!

    Several weeks ago my Fiesty box started shutting down (power turns
    off) over night, or during the day if I don't use it all day. The
    ambient temperature is very stable so I don't think it is
    environmental, and there are no shutdown log messages or anything like
    that in /var/log/messages. I've made no configuration changes. Its
    only been a minor annoyance, but I thought I'd see if others have seen
    anything similar.

+ Reply to Thread