Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-) - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-) - Ubuntu ; Hi all I was recently given copies of Ubuntu and Kubuntu by a work collegue and was interested in checking out this fancy Linux stuff :-) I currently have Windows Vista Ultimate installed on my PC and niaively thought that ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    Hi all

    I was recently given copies of Ubuntu and Kubuntu by a work collegue and was
    interested in checking out this fancy Linux stuff :-) I currently have
    Windows Vista Ultimate installed on my PC and niaively thought that I could
    just whack the Ubuntu disk in, reboot the machine and it would work out all
    the partitioning etc itself.

    What actually happened was that
    I got a boot menu
    I selected "boot / install Ubuntu" (or something like that - can't
    remember the exact wording now)
    It went through a process of loading all the drivers etc in to memory.
    Once the progress bar reached the maximum, the screen went black with a
    solid cursor in the top-left corner.
    It stayed like this for the 5 minutes that I could be bothered to wait.

    Anyone had this problem before or just got any random ideas how to get past
    it?

    Thanks

    Vassago

    P.S. My system has the followng specs:

    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (2.21GHz)
    1.5Gb DDR2
    2x NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (Supposedly in SLI Mode)
    1x Seagate Barracuda ST360015A 60Gb HD on Primary Master (C drive with
    Windows Installed)
    1x Samsung SP1203N 120Gb HD on Primary Slace (D drive - documents)
    1x Maxtor 6V250F0 250Gb HD on SATA Red (E Drive - media)
    1x Lite-On LTR-32125W CDRW
    1x Pioneer DVR-107D DVD-RW
    USB Mouse
    Logitech wireless keyboard (receiver connected to PS2 port)

    Can't remember what Motherboard I've got I'm afraid!

  2. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    > I was recently given copies of Ubuntu and Kubuntu by a work collegue and was
    > interested in checking out this fancy Linux stuff :-) I currently have
    > Windows Vista Ultimate installed on my PC and niaively thought that I could
    > just whack the Ubuntu disk in, reboot the machine and it would work out all
    > the partitioning etc itself.

    Did you try booting from CD first to see if it'd get as far as the
    desktop ? (if not, there's nothing lost trying to now without using
    the install option)

    Unfortunately not all linux distribs work properly on all hardware, as
    they may have the wrong set of drivers you need included.

    What happens now if you try to boot - does it do anything ?

  3. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    "Colin Wilson" wrote
    in message news:MPG.214be8c7d4e7530798a2de@news.individual.ne t...
    >> I was recently given copies of Ubuntu and Kubuntu by a work collegue and
    >> was
    >> interested in checking out this fancy Linux stuff :-) I currently have
    >> Windows Vista Ultimate installed on my PC and niaively thought that I
    >> could
    >> just whack the Ubuntu disk in, reboot the machine and it would work out
    >> all
    >> the partitioning etc itself.

    > Did you try booting from CD first to see if it'd get as far as the
    > desktop ? (if not, there's nothing lost trying to now without using
    > the install option)
    >
    > Unfortunately not all linux distribs work properly on all hardware, as
    > they may have the wrong set of drivers you need included.
    >
    > What happens now if you try to boot - does it do anything ?

    Yeah - I tried that, but the same thing happened again.

    If it is a problem with my "distrib" (distrubution right?), do you know
    where I could download a new distrib with a more "standard" set of drivers?
    Or perhaps one where I can choose what drivers I need?

  4. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 22:38:19 +0000, Vassago wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I was recently given copies of Ubuntu and Kubuntu by a work collegue and was
    > interested in checking out this fancy Linux stuff :-) I currently have
    > Windows Vista Ultimate installed on my PC and niaively thought that I could
    > just whack the Ubuntu disk in, reboot the machine and it would work out all
    > the partitioning etc itself.

    Snipped

    Right.. stupid comment,but you did try moving the monitor cable to the
    other graphics card? It may have decided in its ultimate wisdom to just
    use one card (as you dont install with the nvidia drivers by default)

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  5. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    * Vassago wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > "Colin Wilson"
    > wrote in message
    > news:MPG.214be8c7d4e7530798a2de@news.individual.ne t...
    >>> I was recently given copies of Ubuntu and Kubuntu by a work collegue
    >>> and was interested in checking out this fancy Linux stuff :-) I
    >>> currently have Windows Vista Ultimate installed on my PC and
    >>> niaively thought that I could just whack the Ubuntu disk in, reboot
    >>> the machine and it would work out all the partitioning etc itself.

    >> Did you try booting from CD first to see if it'd get as far as the
    >> desktop ? (if not, there's nothing lost trying to now without using
    >> the install option)

    >> Unfortunately not all linux distribs work properly on all hardware,
    >> as they may have the wrong set of drivers you need included.

    >> What happens now if you try to boot - does it do anything ?

    > Yeah - I tried that, but the same thing happened again.

    > If it is a problem with my "distrib" (distrubution right?), do you
    > know where I could download a new distrib with a more "standard" set
    > of drivers? Or perhaps one where I can choose what drivers I need?

    Id try using a cheat code first. You dont say what version of Ubuntu you
    have or anything about the hardware so it is a bit difficult to give any
    tips.

    --
    David
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

    Minnie Mouse is a slow maze learner.

  6. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    >>> Did you try booting from CD first to see if it'd get as far as the
    >>> desktop ? (if not, there's nothing lost trying to now without using
    >>> the install option)

    >>> Unfortunately not all linux distribs work properly on all hardware,
    >>> as they may have the wrong set of drivers you need included.

    >>> What happens now if you try to boot - does it do anything ?

    >> Yeah - I tried that, but the same thing happened again.

    >> If it is a problem with my "distrib" (distrubution right?), do you
    >> know where I could download a new distrib with a more "standard" set
    >> of drivers? Or perhaps one where I can choose what drivers I need?

    > Id try using a cheat code first. You dont say what version of Ubuntu you
    > have or anything about the hardware so it is a bit difficult to give any
    > tips.

    Hi Sinner

    Sorry - you're right I didn't give the version number! My Ubuntu disk has
    "Version 6.06 LTS for your PC" printed on the front.

    I gave my hardware spec in the original post, if you need more details
    please let me know

    I'm afraid "cheat code" went straight over my head! I'll try a bit of
    googling before I beg for help though :-)

    Thanks

  7. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> I was recently given copies of Ubuntu and Kubuntu by a work collegue and
    >> was
    >> interested in checking out this fancy Linux stuff :-) I currently have
    >> Windows Vista Ultimate installed on my PC and niaively thought that I
    >> could
    >> just whack the Ubuntu disk in, reboot the machine and it would work out
    >> all
    >> the partitioning etc itself.
    >>

    > Snipped
    >

    > Right.. stupid comment,but you did try moving the monitor cable to the
    > other graphics card? It may have decided in its ultimate wisdom to just
    > use one card (as you dont install with the nvidia drivers by default)

    No stupid comments where I'm concerned :-) I hadn't thought of that anyway.

    I just tried it and no joy I'm afraid. When I switch to the other graphics
    card, the monitor backlight also switches off (i.e. receiving no input
    whatsoever).

    When I am using my first graphics card, I can also still see the
    non-blinking cursor in the top left corner, so it looks like the the
    graphics is working... just that the installation has frozen.

    Thanks for the idea though - keep 'em coming :-)

  8. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 22:38:19 +0000, Vassago wrote:

    > I was recently given

    And when you are good to go, check this too!
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty

    --
    Vista sucks! Period.

  9. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    Vassago wrote:

    > My Ubuntu disk
    > has "Version 6.06 LTS for your PC" printed on the front.

    If I were you, I would download and burn the ISO for 7.04 after reading
    the 'introductory' Ub information at:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UserDocumentation Which Ubuntu CD to
    get - Which Ubuntu CD is appropriate for your computer. - Many new "IBM
    Compatible" PC systems have begun to use 64-bit components, and if the
    operating system (like Ubuntu) makes use of these capabilities then a
    slight performance increase can be gained. PCs which can run a 64-bit
    version of Microsoft Windows should be supported by this CD. If you are
    unsure whether your PC system has these capabilities then you can use
    the "x86" CD above, as this will work on 64-bit systems as well. -

    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes Information on new features
    and help specific to each Ubuntu release. -- With the Ubuntu 7.04
    release came a host of new features including data migration from
    Windows, new and easier ways to install multimedia codecs, binary
    drivers, as well as networking improvements and of course, GNOME 2.18,
    the 2.6.20 kernel and more

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport Identifying the hardware in
    your computer -- Most nVidia-cards will work if

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GettingUbuntu Download the Live
    Desktop CD -- Burn the CD on to a blank disc. --
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto . To install Ubuntu,
    you first need to burn its ISO file onto a CD.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall Walk-through
    Installation of Ubuntu --

    You are more likely to do better with the newer Ub than the older one.
    Then, if that CD doesn't boot, come back and someone will give you some
    help with solving the problem.

    Another interesting alternative would be to consider burning the newest
    gutsy which has the BulletProofX https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BulletProofX
    This specification describes a new failsafe mode that will be used if X
    fails to start up. -- This is a failsafe mode for X that will launch if
    the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file does not result in a working graphical
    environment due to Xorg failing to start. It can also be invoked
    manually by specifying 'xforcevesa' via grub's kernel cmdline option, by
    setting the XORG_FAILSAFE_MODE environment variable to a non-empty
    string, or by selecting the Failsafe option from the Greeter.

    --
    Mike Easter

  10. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    * Holz wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 22:38:19 +0000, Vassago wrote:

    >> I was recently given

    > And when you are good to go, check this too!
    > http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty

    Except the CD is a Dapper CD.

    --
    David
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

    LILO, you've got me on my knees!
    (from David Black, dblack@pilot.njin.net, with apologies to Derek and the
    Dominos, and Werner Almsberger)

  11. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    >>> Yeah - I tried that, but the same thing happened again.

    >>> If it is a problem with my "distrib" (distrubution right?), do you
    >>> know where I could download a new distrib with a more "standard" set
    >>> of drivers? Or perhaps one where I can choose what drivers I need?

    >> Id try using a cheat code first. You dont say what version of Ubuntu you
    >> have or anything about the hardware so it is a bit difficult to give any
    >> tips.

    > Hi Sinner

    > Sorry - you're right I didn't give the version number! My Ubuntu disk has
    > "Version 6.06 LTS for your PC" printed on the front.

    That version is a bit old for your hardware. It is likely running into
    APIC issues.

    > I gave my hardware spec in the original post, if you need more details
    > please let me know

    Sorry, I missed it, went back up thread to review.

    > I'm afraid "cheat code" went straight over my head! I'll try a bit of
    > googling before I beg for help though :-)

    Cheat codes are parameters you pass to the kernel that you can use to
    enable/diasble certain features. First guess would be this is a APIC
    issue look for 'noapic' cheat code.

    --
    David
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

    LILO, you've got me on my knees!
    (from David Black, dblack@pilot.njin.net, with apologies to Derek and the
    Dominos, and Werner Almsberger)

  12. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Vassago wrote:
    >
    >> My Ubuntu disk
    >> has "Version 6.06 LTS for your PC" printed on the front.

    > If I were you, I would download and burn the ISO for 7.04 after reading
    > the 'introductory' Ub information at:
    >
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UserDocumentation Which Ubuntu CD to
    > get - Which Ubuntu CD is appropriate for your computer. - Many new "IBM
    > Compatible" PC systems have begun to use 64-bit components, and if the
    > operating system (like Ubuntu) makes use of these capabilities then a
    > slight performance increase can be gained. PCs which can run a 64-bit
    > version of Microsoft Windows should be supported by this CD. If you are
    > unsure whether your PC system has these capabilities then you can use
    > the "x86" CD above, as this will work on 64-bit systems as well. -
    >
    > http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes Information on new features
    > and help specific to each Ubuntu release. -- With the Ubuntu 7.04
    > release came a host of new features including data migration from
    > Windows, new and easier ways to install multimedia codecs, binary
    > drivers, as well as networking improvements and of course, GNOME 2.18,
    > the 2.6.20 kernel and more
    >
    > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport Identifying the hardware in
    > your computer -- Most nVidia-cards will work if
    >
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GettingUbuntu Download the Live
    > Desktop CD -- Burn the CD on to a blank disc. --
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto . To install Ubuntu,
    > you first need to burn its ISO file onto a CD.
    >
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall Walk-through
    > Installation of Ubuntu --
    >
    > You are more likely to do better with the newer Ub than the older one.
    > Then, if that CD doesn't boot, come back and someone will give you some
    > help with solving the problem.

    Up to here you were doing so well! :-)

    > Another interesting alternative would be to consider burning the newest
    > gutsy which has the BulletProofX https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BulletProofX
    > This specification describes a new failsafe mode that will be used if X
    > fails to start up. -- This is a failsafe mode for X that will launch if
    > the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file does not result in a working graphical
    > environment due to Xorg failing to start. It can also be invoked
    > manually by specifying 'xforcevesa' via grub's kernel cmdline option, by
    > setting the XORG_FAILSAFE_MODE environment variable to a non-empty
    > string, or by selecting the Failsafe option from the Greeter.

    Then you bombed out suggesting a newbie install a beta version. :-(

    Cheers.

    --

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.
    Intelligent and helpful Windoze error messages: http://tinyurl.com/2ks5dz

  13. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    NoStop wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> If I were you, I would download and burn the ISO for 7.04 after
    >> reading the 'introductory' Ub information at:

    >> You are more likely to do better with the newer Ub than the older
    >> one. Then, if that CD doesn't boot, come back and someone will give
    >> you some help with solving the problem.
    >>

    > Up to here you were doing so well! :-)
    >
    >> Another interesting alternative would be to consider burning the
    >> newest gutsy which has the BulletProofX

    > Then you bombed out suggesting a newbie install a beta version. :-(

    You're right and I was more wrong than that in even mentioning it.

    Actually, I was mistaken about bulletproofx being in the newest gutsy
    tribe5; I was getting mixed up about the new graphical configuration
    tool. http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/tribe5 Graphical configuration
    tool for X -- You can now configure what driver you want to use for your
    graphic card, set up dual monitors, change the default resolution for
    all users or change your monitor's refresh rate without having to turn
    to the terminal. A new GUI has been added making it trivial to adjust
    your video and monitor settings.

    I think bulletproofx is 'expected' to likely make it into gutsy.

    --
    Mike Easter

  14. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    >>> Id try using a cheat code first. You dont say what version of Ubuntu you
    >>> have or anything about the hardware so it is a bit difficult to give any
    >>> tips.

    >> Hi Sinner

    >> Sorry - you're right I didn't give the version number! My Ubuntu disk has
    >> "Version 6.06 LTS for your PC" printed on the front.

    > That version is a bit old for your hardware. It is likely running into
    > APIC issues.
    >
    >> I gave my hardware spec in the original post, if you need more details
    >> please let me know

    > Sorry, I missed it, went back up thread to review.
    >
    >> I'm afraid "cheat code" went straight over my head! I'll try a bit of
    >> googling before I beg for help though :-)

    > Cheat codes are parameters you pass to the kernel that you can use to
    > enable/diasble certain features. First guess would be this is a APIC
    > issue look for 'noapic' cheat code.

    Thanks to everyone who's replied... there were a few bits that I didn't
    really understand what you were saying (e.g. "gutsy"??) but I got the
    general idea that my version was too old.

    I've downloaded a new one from www.ubuntu.net. The filename is
    "ubuntu-7.04-desktop-amd64.iso". I just tried to boot off that, and I did
    manage to get further than before! :-) It now shows a progress bar
    increasing and when it completes, it then throws me into a command prompt
    (something like "ubuntu@ubuntu$") I guess I'll have to find a walkthrough
    for this version's installation to find where to go from here.

    That'll have to wait till tomorrow morning though as I'm knackered :-)

    Thanks again

  15. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    Vassago wrote:

    > I've downloaded a new one from www.ubuntu.net. The filename is
    > "ubuntu-7.04-desktop-amd64.iso". I just tried to boot off that, and I
    > did manage to get further than before! :-) It now shows a progress bar
    > increasing and when it completes, it then throws me into a command
    > prompt (something like "ubuntu@ubuntu$") I guess I'll have to find a
    > walkthrough for this version's installation to find where to go from
    > here.

    Here's a A.Y.Siu discussion of recovering from no graphical
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/nox Troubleshooting X

    > That'll have to wait till tomorrow morning though as I'm knackered :-)

    Knackered is good on a Friday evening or actually early Saturday morning
    if you are over there on the east side of the little pond.

    --
    Mike Easter

  16. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 22:38:19 +0000, Vassago wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I was recently given copies of Ubuntu and Kubuntu by a work collegue and was
    > interested in checking out this fancy Linux stuff :-) I currently have
    > Windows Vista Ultimate installed on my PC and niaively thought that I could
    > just whack the Ubuntu disk in, reboot the machine and it would work out all
    > the partitioning etc itself.
    >
    > What actually happened was that
    > I got a boot menu
    > I selected "boot / install Ubuntu" (or something like that - can't
    > remember the exact wording now)
    > It went through a process of loading all the drivers etc in to memory.
    > Once the progress bar reached the maximum, the screen went black with a
    > solid cursor in the top-left corner.
    > It stayed like this for the 5 minutes that I could be bothered to wait.
    >
    > Anyone had this problem before or just got any random ideas how to get past
    > it?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Vassago
    >

    > P.S. My system has the followng specs:
    >
    > AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (2.21GHz)
    > 1.5Gb DDR2
    > 2x NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (Supposedly in SLI Mode)
    > 1x Seagate Barracuda ST360015A 60Gb HD on Primary Master (C drive with
    > Windows Installed)
    > 1x Samsung SP1203N 120Gb HD on Primary Slace (D drive - documents)
    > 1x Maxtor 6V250F0 250Gb HD on SATA Red (E Drive - media)
    > 1x Lite-On LTR-32125W CDRW
    > 1x Pioneer DVR-107D DVD-RW
    > USB Mouse
    > Logitech wireless keyboard (receiver connected to PS2 port)
    >
    > Can't remember what Motherboard I've got I'm afraid!

    There are sometimes problems with hardware. By trying the function keys at
    the boot prompt you should get to a list of helpful 'cheatcodes'. Chances
    are that one of those will allow the CD to boot properly. Most often, I
    have used 'noacpi' or 'noscsi'. BTW that problem should be resolved
    if/when you do an install - but you will need to know how you want to
    partition your drives - unless you want ubuntu to simple take over the
    entire machine or simply use the unused space (I believ that is one of the
    options presented).

  17. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 23:35:53 +0000, Vassago wrote:

    >>> Hi all
    >>>
    >>> I was recently given copies of Ubuntu and Kubuntu by a work collegue and
    >>> was
    >>> interested in checking out this fancy Linux stuff :-) I currently have
    >>> Windows Vista Ultimate installed on my PC and niaively thought that I
    >>> could
    >>> just whack the Ubuntu disk in, reboot the machine and it would work out
    >>> all
    >>> the partitioning etc itself.
    >>>

    >> Snipped
    >>

    >> Right.. stupid comment,but you did try moving the monitor cable to the
    >> other graphics card? It may have decided in its ultimate wisdom to just
    >> use one card (as you dont install with the nvidia drivers by default)
    >>

    > No stupid comments where I'm concerned :-) I hadn't thought of that anyway.
    >
    > I just tried it and no joy I'm afraid. When I switch to the other graphics
    > card, the monitor backlight also switches off (i.e. receiving no input
    > whatsoever).

    Did you try booting with the screen in the wrong socket to see whether the
    PC makes it active, and then seeing if ubuntu defaults to that one?

    > When I am using my first graphics card, I can also still see the
    > non-blinking cursor in the top left corner, so it looks like the the
    > graphics is working... just that the installation has frozen.

    I would agree. But it was worth a shot!

    > Thanks for the idea though - keep 'em coming :-)

    What I would suggest is for you to download the latest alternative
    version available as always at ubuntu.com.. Install and see if that works.
    Avoiding the whole live CD thing. It should automagically download and
    install the restricted driver model for nVidia, meaning you should
    go straight to GUI when you are done.. fingers crossed :-)

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  18. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 00:48:25 GMT, Vassago wrote:

    > I've downloaded a new one from www.ubuntu.net. The filename is
    > "ubuntu-7.04-desktop-amd64.iso". I just tried to boot off that,
    > and I did manage to get further than before! :-) It now shows a
    > progress bar increasing and when it completes, it then throws me
    > into a command prompt (something like "ubuntu@ubuntu$") I guess
    > I'll have to find a walkthrough for this version's installation
    > to find where to go from here.

    That sounds like the install got as far as the basic Linux system
    but was unable to set up the X-Windows stuff you need to get a
    pretty display. Try various cheat code combinations for Frame
    buffer, video driver (VESA is usually workable). If you run out of
    possibilities try another distribution, there's nothing magic about
    Ubuntu.

    --
    Chris Game

    "If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called
    research, would it?" -- Albert Einstein

  19. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    >> I've downloaded a new one from www.ubuntu.net. The filename is
    >> "ubuntu-7.04-desktop-amd64.iso". I just tried to boot off that, and I
    >> did manage to get further than before! :-) It now shows a progress bar
    >> increasing and when it completes, it then throws me into a command
    >> prompt (something like "ubuntu@ubuntu$") I guess I'll have to find a
    >> walkthrough for this version's installation to find where to go from
    >> here.

    > Here's a A.Y.Siu discussion of recovering from no graphical
    > http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/nox Troubleshooting X
    >
    >> That'll have to wait till tomorrow morning though as I'm knackered :-)

    > Knackered is good on a Friday evening or actually early Saturday morning
    > if you are over there on the east side of the little pond.

    Thanks for that, and for everyone else who replied.

    I tried following the advice I found through that link, but still no joy. I
    also found that I could hit F6 at the boot menu and a command pops up that I
    can append to. I guessed this is where I should put those cheat codes that
    people have mentioned. I've also been trying some stuff with the
    noapic and nolapic cheat codes and I found that,
    sometimes, it throws me straight into the terminal, and other times it hits
    the terminal and then tries to load the X-Windows stuff. When it tries to
    load, I get an error saying basically that it could not start the X-Windows
    application and to select OK if I want to view more detailed information.

    Just in case it was any use to anyone here, I actually copied down anything
    I thought might be useful (by hand!!!) from those error details. I tried to
    copy faithfully (including case) but no guarantees I'm afraid:

    MARKERS: (--) Probed, (**) From config file, (==) Default setting, (++) From
    command line, (!!) Notice, (II) Informational, (WW) Warning, (EE) Error,
    (NI) Not Implemented, (??) Unknown
    (==) log file: "/var/log.Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Sep 8 18:30:34 2007
    (==) using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg/conf"
    (WW) NV: No matching device section for instance (BusID PCI:3:0:0) found

    Back Trace:
    0: /usr.X11R6.bin.X(xf86sigHandler+0x6d) [0x48282d]
    1: /lib/libc.so.6 [0x2b19c72efd40]
    2: /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libing10.so [0x... addresses at this point>
    3: /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libing10.so(Mem_rb+0x18) [0x...
    4: /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libing10.so(fetch_data_byte+0x2a) [0x...
    5: /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libing10.so [0x...
    6: /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libing10.so(X86EMU_exec+0x9d)
    7: /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libing10.so(xf86ExecX86int10+0x55)
    8: /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libing10.soxf86ExtendedInitInt10+0x38a)
    9: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nv_drv.so
    10: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(InitOutput+0x9bc)
    11: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(main+0x275)
    12: /lib/libc/so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf4)
    13: /usr.X11R6/bin/X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x241

    Fatal Server Error:
    Caught Signal 11: Server aborting

    I really hope this helps someone - I'd hate to have typed it out for nothing
    :-)

    TIA

  20. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 21:24:50 GMT "Vassago" wrote:

    > I tried following the advice I found through that link, but still no
    > joy. I also found that I could hit F6 at the boot menu and a command
    > pops up that I can append to. I guessed this is where I should put
    > those cheat codes that people have mentioned. I've also been trying
    > some stuff with the noapic and nolapic
    > cheat codes and I found that, sometimes, it throws me straight into
    > the terminal, and other times it hits the terminal and then tries to
    > load the X-Windows stuff. When it tries to load, I get an error
    > saying basically that it could not start the X-Windows application
    > and to select OK if I want to view more detailed information.

    You've got the location right for the commands you want to add. This is
    a link to a page that's not directly related to your issue, but it
    covers the NOAPIC and NOLAPIC commands in its Installation section
    near the top of the page:

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/hp_dv6000_series_%28dv6116eu%29

    Even though this was written for a laptop, it *might* work for you. The
    pertinent quotes:

    First things first: if your laptop fails to boot the LiveCD (i.e. hangs at a certain point), then you most likely have a common problem with "apic."

    Solution: When given boot options for the LiveCD, press F6 for other options and you should see a command line with commands already entered. Simply add as required.

    NOAPIC NOAPCI NOLAPIC NOIRQPOLL NOSMP

    to the end of the line and press enter. The system should now boot without stalling.

    Note I've been informed :-just boot with "noapic", the usb ports will
    not function... also, when I boot with "nolapic", Xorg doesn't load the
    nvidia drivers correctly... however, when u boot with BOTH options,
    ("noapic nolapic"), the USB ports function fine, and xorg has no
    problems running at all (beryl and AIGLX run great). if others find
    this please tell me so I know it's common issue

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

+ Reply to Thread