Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-) - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-) - Ubuntu ; On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 22:27:52 -0400, Little Girl wrote: > You've got the location right for the commands you want to add. > This is a link to a page that's not directly related to your > issue, but ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 22:27:52 -0400, Little Girl wrote:

    > You've got the location right for the commands you want to add.
    > This is a link to a page that's not directly related to your
    > issue, but it covers the NOAPIC and NOLAPIC commands in its
    > Installation section near the top of the page:

    The output quoted seems more to do with the lack of an X-server due
    to an xorg issue. I suggest running 'dkpg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'
    at the command prompt when that turns up, then 'startx'.

    If this all goes no-where, look for another distribution, like
    Mandrake.

    --
    Chris Game

    -- Albert Einstein

  2. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    "SINNER" <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Sorry - you're right I didn't give the version number! My Ubuntu disk has
    >> "Version 6.06 LTS for your PC" printed on the front.

    > That version is a bit old for your hardware. It is likely running into
    > APIC issues.

    What are you supposed to do then if you want to run an LTS version on new
    hardware?

    --

    Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
    ng@bgdsv.co.uk

  3. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    * Brian Gregory [UK] wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > "SINNER" <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> Sorry - you're right I didn't give the version number! My Ubuntu disk has
    >>> "Version 6.06 LTS for your PC" printed on the front.

    >> That version is a bit old for your hardware. It is likely running into
    >> APIC issues.

    > What are you supposed to do then if you want to run an LTS version on new
    > hardware?

    Turn off apic during boot with a cheatcode.

    --
    David
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

    Mountain Dew and doughnuts... because breakfast is the most important meal
    of the day.

  4. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 14:23:19 +0100 Chris Game
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 22:27:52 -0400, Little Girl wrote:

    > > You've got the location right for the commands you want to add.
    > > This is a link to a page that's not directly related to your
    > > issue, but it covers the NOAPIC and NOLAPIC commands in its
    > > Installation section near the top of the page:

    > The output quoted seems more to do with the lack of an X-server due
    > to an xorg issue. I suggest running 'dkpg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'
    > at the command prompt when that turns up, then 'startx'.

    Yeah, I just wanted to make sure he knew to run NOAPIC AND NOLAPIC
    together since he'd mentioned NOAPIC. (:

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  5. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 18:14:18 +0100, Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:

    > What are you supposed to do then if you want to run an LTS version
    > on new hardware?

    Use Debian.

    --
    Chris Game

    "If everything seems under control, you're
    just not going fast enough." -- Mario Andretti

  6. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    > On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 18:14:18 +0100, Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
    >
    >> What are you supposed to do then if you want to run an LTS version
    >> on new hardware?

    > Use Debian.

    or you could use Gutsy till april i think it is and upgrade to Hardy, the
    next LTS.

    --
    Chris

  7. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-) - RESOLVED... (ish)

    On Sun, 2007-09-09 at 22:23 -0400, Little Girl wrote:
    > On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 14:23:19 +0100 Chris Game
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 22:27:52 -0400, Little Girl wrote:

    > > > You've got the location right for the commands you want to add.
    > > > This is a link to a page that's not directly related to your
    > > > issue, but it covers the NOAPIC and NOLAPIC commands in its
    > > > Installation section near the top of the page:

    > > The output quoted seems more to do with the lack of an X-server due
    > > to an xorg issue. I suggest running 'dkpg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'
    > > at the command prompt when that turns up, then 'startx'.

    > Yeah, I just wanted to make sure he knew to run NOAPIC AND NOLAPIC
    > together since he'd mentioned NOAPIC. (:

    Hi all - sorry for the delay in getting back to your all about this

    I am happy to report that I am now writing my first post from within a
    Linux environment :-) First impressions of Ubuntu seem quite good, the
    simple stuff (internet, email, openOffice etc) seems fairly intuitive.
    Looking forward to playing some more.

    For those people interested, the problem was with my Graphics card being
    on an unexpected PCI Express slot. It kept wanting to auto assign my
    graphics card to PCI:1.0.0. Using the errors I got before, and some
    googling to find the "lspci" command, I realised that my other graphics
    card was on PCI:3.0.0. "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" (thanks
    Chris :-) allowed me to change the 1 to a 3 and voila, "startx" brought
    up the xserver properly

    Unfortunately I now have another problem to do with the Grub:

    GRUB loading, please wait...
    Error 22

    This is also stopping me booting into Windows (hence posting this in
    Evolution) but I haven't googled this problem yet, so feel free to
    ignore this. I'll post a new thread if I can't figure it out in an hour
    or so.

    Thanks again to everyone who helped, I've certainly learned a lot in a
    short time :-)

    Vassago

  8. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-) - RESOLVED... (ish)

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 22:53:40 +0000, Vassago wrote:

    Snipped

    > Thanks again to everyone who helped, I've certainly learned a lot in a
    > short time :-)
    >
    > Vassago

    Congratulations. Now your fun will start. Linux makes computing fun
    again.

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  9. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-) - RESOLVED... (ish)

    On 2007-09-10, Vassago wrote:
    [snip]

    > Hi all - sorry for the delay in getting back to your all about this
    >
    > I am happy to report that I am now writing my first post from within a
    > Linux environment :-) First impressions of Ubuntu seem quite good, the
    > simple stuff (internet, email, openOffice etc) seems fairly intuitive.

    Ms Penguin is off fishing, she left you a fishing rod. Of course Linux is
    intuitive, it was built by people who think this way.

  10. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-)

    * Chris Game wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 18:14:18 +0100, Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:

    >> What are you supposed to do then if you want to run an LTS version
    >> on new hardware?

    > Use Debian.

    Bzzzzt. Incorrect and may or may not help depending on which version of
    Debian. I see you are still as helpful as ever.

    --
    David
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

    Totally illogical, there was no chance.
    -- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3

  11. Re: Newbie wants to install Ubuntu :-) - RESOLVED... (ish)

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 22:53:40 GMT Vassago
    wrote:

    > I am happy to report that I am now writing my first post from within a
    > Linux environment :-) First impressions of Ubuntu seem quite good, the
    > simple stuff (internet, email, openOffice etc) seems fairly intuitive.
    > Looking forward to playing some more.

    Congratulations on getting it up and running!

    > Unfortunately I now have another problem to do with the Grub:

    > GRUB loading, please wait...
    > Error 22

    You seem to have overwritten your Windows master boot record.

    > This is also stopping me booting into Windows (hence posting this in
    > Evolution) but I haven't googled this problem yet, so feel free to
    > ignore this. I'll post a new thread if I can't figure it out in an
    > hour or so.

    Did you figure it out?

    > Thanks again to everyone who helped, I've certainly learned a lot in a
    > short time :-)

    That's the fun of Linux. (:

    --
    Little Girl