Apparently SD Card readers and forks don't mix... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Apparently SD Card readers and forks don't mix... - Ubuntu ; ....who would have thought? I recently installed Ubuntu on a computer at a local bar as the XP install went down the crapper. We were having some minor weird issues though with the touchpad randomly behaving really weird. Mouse cursor ...

  1. Apparently SD Card readers and forks don't mix...

    ....who would have thought?

    I recently installed Ubuntu on a computer at a local bar as the XP install
    went down the crapper. We were having some minor weird issues though with
    the touchpad randomly behaving really weird. Mouse cursor jumping, clicks
    when there shouldn't be clicks, etc. Plus the machine overall was too
    slow.

    So after playing around with it for a while, and looking in the error
    logs, I discovered the problem. The system was hammering the SD card
    reader every few milliseconds trying to deal with a card it thought it
    was inserted. No card was inserted though.

    So when I spoke to my friend who owns the bar about it, he did mention to
    me that someone used an SD card and couldn't figure out how to remove
    it..so he used a fork to force the card out, bending and destroying pins
    in the process. Needless to say some pins were touching and causing the
    above problems. Once I moved the bent pins out of the way, machine became
    100% trouble free.

    Now my question is, is there any way to permanently disable the SD/MMC
    card reader? So that if someone tries to insert a card, or if the pins
    happen to randomly touch again, the problem does not re-occur? The problem
    doesn't happen until Ubuntu actually activates the reader (as indicated by
    the status LED of the reader). So if Ubuntu doesn't activate the reader
    and just ignores it, the pins can touch all they want...won't be an issue.

    Google hasn't been much of any help as all references on google deal with
    trying to get SD card readers working, not with disabling them. =)

    I already tried to blacklist some SD card related modules while the
    problem was still occurring before actually resorting to physical means of
    unbending pins, but no matter what modules I blacklisted it didn't make a
    difference.

    Thanks,

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  2. Re: Apparently SD Card readers and forks don't mix...

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    Subject: Apparently SD Card readers and forks don't mix.
    > ...who would have thought?

    Who indeed? Any sane person.

    > So when I spoke to my friend who owns the bar about it, he did
    > mention to me that someone used an SD card and couldn't figure out
    > how to remove it..so he used a fork to force the card out, bending
    > and destroying pins in the process.

    Since this is a bar computer apparently accessible by zanykooks, while
    you/we are working on the cardreader problem, we should also be sure to
    prepare for the possibility that someone is going to jam an electronic
    cattle prod or a taser into the USB port.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Apparently SD Card readers and forks don't mix...

    On Friday 07 Sep 2007 22:08 Stephan Rose licked a pencil and jotted:

    > ...who would have thought?
    >
    > I recently installed Ubuntu on a computer at a local bar as the XP install
    > went down the crapper. We were having some minor weird issues though with
    > the touchpad randomly behaving really weird. Mouse cursor jumping, clicks
    > when there shouldn't be clicks, etc. Plus the machine overall was too
    > slow.
    >
    > So after playing around with it for a while, and looking in the error
    > logs, I discovered the problem. The system was hammering the SD card
    > reader every few milliseconds trying to deal with a card it thought it
    > was inserted. No card was inserted though.
    >
    > So when I spoke to my friend who owns the bar about it, he did mention to
    > me that someone used an SD card and couldn't figure out how to remove
    > it..so he used a fork to force the card out, bending and destroying pins
    > in the process. Needless to say some pins were touching and causing the
    > above problems. Once I moved the bent pins out of the way, machine became
    > 100% trouble free.
    >
    > Now my question is, is there any way to permanently disable the SD/MMC
    > card reader? So that if someone tries to insert a card, or if the pins
    > happen to randomly touch again, the problem does not re-occur? The problem
    > doesn't happen until Ubuntu actually activates the reader (as indicated by
    > the status LED of the reader). So if Ubuntu doesn't activate the reader
    > and just ignores it, the pins can touch all they want...won't be an issue.
    >
    > Google hasn't been much of any help as all references on google deal with
    > trying to get SD card readers working, not with disabling them. =)
    >
    > I already tried to blacklist some SD card related modules while the
    > problem was still occurring before actually resorting to physical means of
    > unbending pins, but no matter what modules I blacklisted it didn't make a
    > difference.
    >
    > Thanks,

    I would be tempted to squirt a load of epoxy resin into the slot to keep the
    pins where they are and then blank off the front to stop anyone trying to
    use it and fubaring their card, or at least unplugging the leads from the
    mobo - if applicable, or both.

    I presume the reader is integrated rather than one of those front panels
    that fit into a spare drive bay so cant be completely removed?

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)

  4. Re: Apparently SD Card readers and forks don't mix...

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 21:57:10 +0000, Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:

    > On Friday 07 Sep 2007 22:08 Stephan Rose licked a pencil and jotted:
    >
    >> ...who would have thought?
    >>
    >> I recently installed Ubuntu on a computer at a local bar as the XP install
    >> went down the crapper. We were having some minor weird issues though with
    >> the touchpad randomly behaving really weird. Mouse cursor jumping, clicks
    >> when there shouldn't be clicks, etc. Plus the machine overall was too
    >> slow.
    >>
    >> So after playing around with it for a while, and looking in the error
    >> logs, I discovered the problem. The system was hammering the SD card
    >> reader every few milliseconds trying to deal with a card it thought it
    >> was inserted. No card was inserted though.
    >>
    >> So when I spoke to my friend who owns the bar about it, he did mention to
    >> me that someone used an SD card and couldn't figure out how to remove
    >> it..so he used a fork to force the card out, bending and destroying pins
    >> in the process. Needless to say some pins were touching and causing the
    >> above problems. Once I moved the bent pins out of the way, machine became
    >> 100% trouble free.
    >>
    >> Now my question is, is there any way to permanently disable the SD/MMC
    >> card reader? So that if someone tries to insert a card, or if the pins
    >> happen to randomly touch again, the problem does not re-occur? The problem
    >> doesn't happen until Ubuntu actually activates the reader (as indicated by
    >> the status LED of the reader). So if Ubuntu doesn't activate the reader
    >> and just ignores it, the pins can touch all they want...won't be an issue.
    >>
    >> Google hasn't been much of any help as all references on google deal with
    >> trying to get SD card readers working, not with disabling them. =)
    >>
    >> I already tried to blacklist some SD card related modules while the
    >> problem was still occurring before actually resorting to physical means of
    >> unbending pins, but no matter what modules I blacklisted it didn't make a
    >> difference.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    > I would be tempted to squirt a load of epoxy resin into the slot to keep the
    > pins where they are and then blank off the front to stop anyone trying to
    > use it and fubaring their card, or at least unplugging the leads from the
    > mobo - if applicable, or both.

    I've had a similar thought myself as well.

    > I presume the reader is integrated rather than one of those front panels
    > that fit into a spare drive bay so cant be completely removed?

    Yea it's a laptop actually so to get at the card reader I'd need to take
    the whole laptop apart...

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  5. Re: Apparently SD Card readers and forks don't mix...

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 16:08:51 -0500 Stephan Rose
    wrote:

    > Now my question is, is there any way to permanently disable the SD/MMC
    > card reader? So that if someone tries to insert a card, or if the pins
    > happen to randomly touch again, the problem does not re-occur? The

    Are these of any use?

    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=4630

    http://www.motherboardpoint.com/t259...wn-device.html

    P.S. *Loving* learning Japanese!!! (:

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  6. Re: Apparently SD Card readers and forks don't mix...

    Stephan Rose schreef:
    > ...who would have thought?
    >
    > I recently installed Ubuntu on a computer at a local bar as the XP install
    > went down the crapper. We were having some minor weird issues though with
    > the touchpad randomly behaving really weird. Mouse cursor jumping, clicks
    > when there shouldn't be clicks, etc. Plus the machine overall was too
    > slow.
    >
    > So after playing around with it for a while, and looking in the error
    > logs, I discovered the problem. The system was hammering the SD card
    > reader every few milliseconds trying to deal with a card it thought it
    > was inserted. No card was inserted though.
    >
    > So when I spoke to my friend who owns the bar about it, he did mention to
    > me that someone used an SD card and couldn't figure out how to remove
    > it..so he used a fork to force the card out, bending and destroying pins
    > in the process. Needless to say some pins were touching and causing the
    > above problems. Once I moved the bent pins out of the way, machine became
    > 100% trouble free.
    >
    > Now my question is, is there any way to permanently disable the SD/MMC
    > card reader? So that if someone tries to insert a card, or if the pins
    > happen to randomly touch again, the problem does not re-occur? The problem
    > doesn't happen until Ubuntu actually activates the reader (as indicated by
    > the status LED of the reader). So if Ubuntu doesn't activate the reader
    > and just ignores it, the pins can touch all they want...won't be an issue.
    >
    > Google hasn't been much of any help as all references on google deal with
    > trying to get SD card readers working, not with disabling them. =)
    >
    > I already tried to blacklist some SD card related modules while the
    > problem was still occurring before actually resorting to physical means of
    > unbending pins, but no matter what modules I blacklisted it didn't make a
    > difference.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Disabling the various services that operate this slot is probably not
    going to prevent the physical short circuits that happen to upset the
    computer.
    So I would look at /only trust a more permanent solution like glueing
    something in the slot.

  7. Re: Apparently SD Card readers and forks don't mix...

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 23:12:48 -0400, Little Girl wrote:

    > On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 16:08:51 -0500 Stephan Rose
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Now my question is, is there any way to permanently disable the SD/MMC
    >> card reader? So that if someone tries to insert a card, or if the pins
    >> happen to randomly touch again, the problem does not re-occur? The

    > Are these of any use?
    >
    > http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=4630
    >
    > http://www.motherboardpoint.com/t259...wn-device.html

    Thanks for the links but unfortunately there is no such bios option for
    this machine. Matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen a bios with
    fewer options...I was wondering why they even put a bios setup in there to
    begin with.

    > P.S. *Loving* learning Japanese!!! (:

    Awesome!!! =)

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  8. Re: Apparently SD Card readers and forks don't mix...

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 10:02:05 +0200, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > Stephan Rose schreef:
    >> ...who would have thought?
    >>
    >> I recently installed Ubuntu on a computer at a local bar as the XP install
    >> went down the crapper. We were having some minor weird issues though with
    >> the touchpad randomly behaving really weird. Mouse cursor jumping, clicks
    >> when there shouldn't be clicks, etc. Plus the machine overall was too
    >> slow.
    >>
    >> So after playing around with it for a while, and looking in the error
    >> logs, I discovered the problem. The system was hammering the SD card
    >> reader every few milliseconds trying to deal with a card it thought it
    >> was inserted. No card was inserted though.
    >>
    >> So when I spoke to my friend who owns the bar about it, he did mention to
    >> me that someone used an SD card and couldn't figure out how to remove
    >> it..so he used a fork to force the card out, bending and destroying pins
    >> in the process. Needless to say some pins were touching and causing the
    >> above problems. Once I moved the bent pins out of the way, machine became
    >> 100% trouble free.
    >>
    >> Now my question is, is there any way to permanently disable the SD/MMC
    >> card reader? So that if someone tries to insert a card, or if the pins
    >> happen to randomly touch again, the problem does not re-occur? The problem
    >> doesn't happen until Ubuntu actually activates the reader (as indicated by
    >> the status LED of the reader). So if Ubuntu doesn't activate the reader
    >> and just ignores it, the pins can touch all they want...won't be an issue.
    >>
    >> Google hasn't been much of any help as all references on google deal with
    >> trying to get SD card readers working, not with disabling them. =)
    >>
    >> I already tried to blacklist some SD card related modules while the
    >> problem was still occurring before actually resorting to physical means of
    >> unbending pins, but no matter what modules I blacklisted it didn't make a
    >> difference.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    > Disabling the various services that operate this slot is probably not
    > going to prevent the physical short circuits that happen to upset the
    > computer.
    > So I would look at /only trust a more permanent solution like glueing
    > something in the slot.

    While I do agree with you, it's not my own computer so I don't know if
    he'll want to do that.

    I'll most certainly suggest it though. =)

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  9. Re: Apparently SD Card readers and forks don't mix...

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 05:35:16 -0500 Stephan Rose
    wrote:

    > Thanks for the links but unfortunately there is no such bios option
    > for this machine. Matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen a bios
    > with fewer options...I was wondering why they even put a bios setup
    > in there to begin with.

    The Incredible Shrinking BIOS. (:

    Apologies in advance if this has already been suggested, but you might
    want to take a look at the man page for setpci. I hope it helps!

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

+ Reply to Thread