A good game please - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on A good game please - Ubuntu ; OK really liking this Ubuntu Now I would like to try a game or two. I like 1st person shooters like Call of Duty and such, but not quake and doom. Are there any games out there that DO NOT ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. A good game please

    OK really liking this Ubuntu

    Now I would like to try a game or two. I like 1st person shooters like
    Call of Duty and such, but not quake and doom.

    Are there any games out there that DO NOT use wine.

    Thanks

  2. Re: A good game please

    > Now I would like to try a game or two. I like 1st person shooters like
    > Call of Duty and such, but not quake and doom.
    > Are there any games out there that DO NOT use wine.

    Nexuiz for starters

  3. Re: A good game please

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 01:01:53 +0100, Mr Nice wrote:

    > OK really liking this Ubuntu
    >
    > Now I would like to try a game or two. I like 1st person shooters like
    > Call of Duty and such, but not quake and doom.

    Blasphemy! Quake3, Quake4, Doom3 all have native Linux versions, you
    know...

    > Are there any games out there that DO NOT use wine.

    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein (my all-time fav)
    Enemy Territory
    Postal2

    ....there are more.

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he reloaded his nail gun.

  4. Re: A good game please

    Colin Wilson wrote:
    >> Now I would like to try a game or two. I like 1st person shooters like
    >> Call of Duty and such, but not quake and doom.
    >> Are there any games out there that DO NOT use wine.

    > Nexuiz for starters

    OK stupid question 1

    I've downloaded the .zip and extracted the files to a folder. How do I
    get to start the game ?

    Thanks

  5. Re: A good game please

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 01:01:53 +0100, Mr Nice wrote:
    >
    >> OK really liking this Ubuntu
    >>
    >> Now I would like to try a game or two. I like 1st person shooters like
    >> Call of Duty and such, but not quake and doom.

    > Blasphemy! Quake3, Quake4, Doom3 all have native Linux versions, you
    > know...
    >
    >> Are there any games out there that DO NOT use wine.

    > Unreal Tournament 2004
    > Return to Castle Wolfenstein (my all-time fav)
    > Enemy Territory
    > Postal2
    >
    > ...there are more.

    I'm not into 'frag' games where your always on line fighting ppl who
    can't spell owned and stuff

    I did like
    RTCW
    CoD
    MOH

    From what I see this nexuiz is a bit of a on line fragger though

  6. Re: A good game please

    http://alientrap.org/nexuiz/index.php?module=faq

    --
    David

    For the sake of argument I'll ignore all your fighting words.
    -- Larry Wall in <199710221710.KAA24242@wall.org>

  7. Re: A good game please

    Mr Nice wrote:

    > OK really liking this Ubuntu
    >
    > Now I would like to try a game or two. I like 1st person shooters
    > like Call of Duty and such, but not quake and doom.

    Multiplayer?

    http://openarena.ws/

    I'm absolutely addicted to Urban Terror.

  8. Re: A good game please

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 01:01:53 +0100, Mr Nice wrote:

    > OK really liking this Ubuntu
    >
    > Now I would like to try a game or two. I like 1st person shooters like
    > Call of Duty and such, but not quake and doom.
    >
    > Are there any games out there that DO NOT use wine.
    >
    > Thanks

    This place lists several FPS and others.
    http://thepemberton.com/posts/archives/6

  9. Re: A good game please

    Mel Loewe wrote:
    > Mr Nice wrote:
    >
    >> OK really liking this Ubuntu
    >>
    >> Now I would like to try a game or two. I like 1st person shooters
    >> like Call of Duty and such, but not quake and doom.

    > Multiplayer?

    No NOT on line multiplayer

    > http://openarena.ws/
    >
    > I'm absolutely addicted to Urban Terror.

  10. Re: A good game please

    On 2007-09-07, Mr Nice wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 01:01:53 +0100, Mr Nice wrote:
    >>
    >>> OK really liking this Ubuntu
    >>>
    >>> Now I would like to try a game or two. I like 1st person shooters like
    >>> Call of Duty and such, but not quake and doom.

    >> Blasphemy! Quake3, Quake4, Doom3 all have native Linux versions, you
    >> know...
    >>
    >>> Are there any games out there that DO NOT use wine.

    >> Unreal Tournament 2004
    >> Return to Castle Wolfenstein (my all-time fav)
    >> Enemy Territory
    >> Postal2
    >>
    >> ...there are more.
    >>

    > I'm not into 'frag' games where your always on line fighting ppl who
    > can't spell owned and stuff
    >
    > I did like
    > RTCW
    > CoD
    > MOH

    Quake 4 and Doom 3 both have very good single player stories. Their
    multiplayer elements are not as good. But if you are looking for a good
    *commercial* single player first-person shooter with a fairly immersive
    story, then either of those games would fit the bill quite nicely.

    If you are looking for a free single player FPS game, you could try Cube.
    http://cubeengine.com

    If you are using Ubuntu, Cube is available in one of the repositories. I
    don't recall which, but 'apt-get install cube' should install the game for
    you. Cube has a story of sorts. It is pretty thin though.

    > From what I see this nexuiz is a bit of a on line fragger though

    Nexuiz has a single player option, but it does not have a story. You just
    load a map and frag bots, so it probably is not what you are looking for.

    --
    -wp-
    Many problems can be solved by the judicious use

  11. Re: A good game please

    Mr Nice wrote:

    > OK really liking this Ubuntu
    >
    > Now I would like to try a game or two. I like 1st person shooters like
    > Call of Duty and such, but not quake and doom.
    >
    > Are there any games out there that DO NOT use wine.

    fsck me, I'd like to know a game that actually does run in Wine :-)

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  12. Re: A good game please

    On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 20:45:03 +0100 Trevor Best
    wrote:

    > fsck me, I'd like to know a game that actually does run in Wine :-)

    My son runs these:

    Baldur's Gate II
    (flickering cursor)
    Deus Ex
    Starcraft
    Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
    (slight camera panning issue)
    Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II
    (slight camera panning issue)

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  13. Re: A good game please

    On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 22:27:02 -0400
    Little Girl wrote:

    > On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 20:45:03 +0100 Trevor Best
    > wrote:
    >
    > > fsck me, I'd like to know a game that actually does run in Wine :-)

    > My son runs these:
    >
    > Baldur's Gate II
    > (flickering cursor)
    > Deus Ex
    > Starcraft
    > Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
    > (slight camera panning issue)
    > Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II
    > (slight camera panning issue)

    Cheers.

    I've got Star Wars KTOR so might give it a try.

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  14. Re: A good game please

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 08:17:23 +0100 Trevor Best
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 22:27:02 -0400
    > Little Girl wrote:

    > > Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
    > > (slight camera panning issue)
    > > Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II
    > > (slight camera panning issue)

    > Cheers.

    > I've got Star Wars KTOR so might give it a try.

    Then he's got some more info for you on the camera issue. He says
    normally if you were to right-click, you could spin around in a 360
    degree circle multiple times if you wanted to just by moving the mouse.
    In Wine, however, when you right-click, you only get so far around that
    circle before you stop. You can then release the right-click again to
    go further around that circle, but you won't ever be able to do a
    complete 360, let alone many of them. He says he's beaten the game
    despite this, so it's not much of an issue. (:

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  15. Re: A good game please

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 22:27:02 -0400, Little Girl wrote:

    > My son runs these:

    If you have a son then you are not a little girl. NeverWinter Nights runs
    perfectly for me on Ubuntu using a Geforce4. Tell your son to get that
    game because if he likes Balder's Gate he will also like NWN.

  16. Re: A good game please

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:43:41 -0400
    Little Girl wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 08:17:23 +0100 Trevor Best
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 22:27:02 -0400
    > > Little Girl wrote:

    > > > Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
    > > > (slight camera panning issue)
    > > > Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II
    > > > (slight camera panning issue)

    > > Cheers.

    > > I've got Star Wars KTOR so might give it a try.

    > Then he's got some more info for you on the camera issue. He says
    > normally if you were to right-click, you could spin around in a 360
    > degree circle multiple times if you wanted to just by moving the mouse.
    > In Wine, however, when you right-click, you only get so far around that
    > circle before you stop. You can then release the right-click again to
    > go further around that circle, but you won't ever be able to do a
    > complete 360, let alone many of them. He says he's beaten the game
    > despite this, so it's not much of an issue. (:

    thanks, shouldn't be too much of an issue, I don't remember having to
    spin around like that unless I was just flourishing a light sabre :-)

    --
    People say I'm violent.
    Tell 'em it aint true or I'll kick yer teeth in!

  17. Re: A good game please

    On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:04:25 GMT Juarez wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 22:27:02 -0400, Little Girl wrote:

    > > My son runs these:

    > If you have a son then you are not a little girl. NeverWinter Nights

    I can be a little girl if I want to. (:

    > runs perfectly for me on Ubuntu using a Geforce4. Tell your son to
    > get that game because if he likes Balder's Gate he will also like NWN.

    Yep, he's got it already (and loves it dearly), although he hasn't
    installed it in Kubuntu yet.

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  18. Re: A good game please

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 22:51:33 +0100 Trevor Best
    wrote:

    [KOTOR camera panning issue in Wine]
    > thanks, shouldn't be too much of an issue, I don't remember having to
    > spin around like that unless I was just flourishing a light sabre :-)

    I asked him and he says if you're holding both mouse buttons to run and
    you're in a city zigging and zagging around, it's annoying because you
    can't go as far to the left or right as you'd like to. Not sure if that
    would be considered an issue for anyone other than him, but there it
    is. (:

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  19. Re: A good game please

    On 2007-09-14, Little Girl wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:04:25 GMT Juarez wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 22:27:02 -0400, Little Girl wrote:

    >> > My son runs these:

    >> If you have a son then you are not a little girl. NeverWinter Nights

    > I can be a little girl if I want to. (:
    >
    >> runs perfectly for me on Ubuntu using a Geforce4. Tell your son to
    >> get that game because if he likes Balder's Gate he will also like NWN.

    > Yep, he's got it already (and loves it dearly), although he hasn't
    > installed it in Kubuntu yet.

    My twenty-three year old son is a dedicated gamer, so we've tried them
    all here in my household. Surprisingly, the favorites seem to be
    Wesnoth and, of all things, Bygfoot Soccer Manager. Vegastrike and
    Danger From The Deep were also well-received, as was Galaxy Mage. The
    first-person shooters weren't big winners with the kids, but they did
    enjoy Warsow. And, of course, Xmoto and Planet Penguin Racer remain
    perennial favorites.

    The boy also really got a kick out of UFO Alien Invasion. My
    seventeen-year old daughter enjoyed TuxType so much that she came to
    think of it as a gaming application, and she was a big fan of Pingus.

    As I said, we've tried all the open-source and free games, as well as
    a few of the proprietary. I really thought that the household
    transition to Linux might be thwarted simply due to the gaming
    compatibility, but the kids not only adapted, they actually came to
    prefer the linux repertoire.

    (Some of the emulated reprises were also big hits: eg. ScummVM games
    like Beneath A Steel Sky, Mega Maria, etc. My son also spent many
    contented hours playing Lincity and FreeCol and Bos Wars. I myself am
    not a gamer, but I must confess that I became addicted to Neverputt)

    --
    Terry
    _______________

  20. Re: A good game please

    On 2007-09-11, Juarez wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 22:27:02 -0400, Little Girl wrote:
    >

    > NeverWinter Nights runs
    > perfectly for me on Ubuntu using a Geforce4. Tell your son to get that

    NWN is a good choice. You should be able to pick it up cheap now.
    You buy the Windows version, then fgo to their website and download
    the Linux version. You then copy the necessary files from the CD over
    to your hard drive. It's a bit more manual than one might wish for,
    but shouldn't be too difficult.

    NWN2 is out, but I do not know if they released a Linux version of it
    like they did with the first one.

    In Vino Veritas
    http://astroturfgarden.com

+ Reply to Thread