Re: Update to 7.04 possible??? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Update to 7.04 possible??? - Ubuntu ; Karsten Heddenhausen illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: > Hi * .* > > sorry for my, perhaps, stupid question, is there any way to updatefrom > KUBUNTU 5.10 tothe newest 7.04? > > I only use it for testing the connection ...

  1. Re: Update to 7.04 possible???

    Karsten Heddenhausen illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Hi * .*
    >
    > sorry for my, perhaps, stupid question, is there any way to updatefrom
    > KUBUNTU 5.10 tothe newest 7.04?
    >
    > I only use it for testing the connection of SQL databases to windows
    > programs.
    >
    > TIA, Karsten

    Yes. But it's a bit of a pain.

    You need to upgrade in the following order.

    First) 6.06 (Dapper)
    Second) 6.10 (Edgy)
    Third) 7.04 (Feisty)

    You can accomplish this by editing your sources list
    gksudo gedit etc/apt/sources.list.

    Find and replace all instances of the previous version (starting with
    Breezy) and replace with Dapper. Then

    Open a terminal
    $ sudo aptitude update
    $ sudo aptitude dist-upgrade

    Repeat by editing the sources list from Dapper to Edgy
    And then do the same from Edgy to Feisty.

    If you've got a fast internet connection, you could do this in around
    3-4 hours.

    BEFORE you start though backup your essential stuff (/home folder at
    least)

    Alternatively, just bite the bullet, backup and then install Feisty.

    One question though, Gutsy is imminent (within 6 weeks), why not wait?

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  2. Re: Update to 7.04 possible???

    Moog illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > <.....>

    Jeez Moog
    > gksudo gedit etc/apt/sources.list.

    should read

    $ gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  3. Re: Update to 7.04 possible???

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 18:49:54 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > One question though, Gutsy is imminent (within 6 weeks), why not wait?

    Yea there is this little voice in my head that keeps going:

    Upgrade to Gutsy!

    Upgrade to Gutsy!

    Upgrade to Gutsy!

    Upgrade to Gutsy!

    Upgrade to Gutsy!

    Upgrade to Gutsy!

    Never-ending and non-stop!! =)

    The only thing somewhat keeping me from doing it is that I'm not sure if
    the multi-screen issues I was having in the very beginning are fixed yet
    or not.

    Then again...come to think of it...

    I could just create an image of my root partition with DD...backup my
    /home....and then have a way to go back if things don't work out...

    Hmmm...tempting...tempting...tempting....

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  4. Re: Update to 7.04 possible???

    > On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 18:49:54 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >

    >> One question though, Gutsy is imminent (within 6 weeks), why not wait?
    >>

    > Yea there is this little voice in my head that keeps going:
    >
    > Upgrade to Gutsy!
    >
    > Upgrade to Gutsy!
    >
    > Upgrade to Gutsy!
    >
    > Upgrade to Gutsy!
    >
    > Upgrade to Gutsy!
    >
    > Upgrade to Gutsy!
    >
    > Never-ending and non-stop!! =)
    >
    > The only thing somewhat keeping me from doing it is that I'm not sure if
    > the multi-screen issues I was having in the very beginning are fixed yet
    > or not.
    >
    > Then again...come to think of it...
    >
    > I could just create an image of my root partition with DD...backup my
    > /home....and then have a way to go back if things don't work out...
    >
    > Hmmm...tempting...tempting...tempting....

    i recently attempted it, but my system slowed considerably using gusty and
    my wife wasnt happy with the slow redraw we were having with kmail so i
    zipped the home directories and dropped the feisty cd back in the drive
    and away we went. i've written myself a little script to apt-get the
    packages i use on a regular basis so setting up from a crash or failure
    would be easier. proved worthwile with this fresh reinstall. i'll wait
    till i upgrade hardware before i try gusty again although i did like the
    way its shaping up.

    maybe i should look at the min requirements to gutsy to see exactly how
    underpowered my machine really is =)

    --
    Chris

  5. Re: Update to 7.04 possible???

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 22:05:38 +0000, Chris Thompson wrote:

    >> On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 18:49:54 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >>

    >>> One question though, Gutsy is imminent (within 6 weeks), why not wait?
    >>>

    >> Yea there is this little voice in my head that keeps going:
    >>
    >> Upgrade to Gutsy!
    >>
    >> Upgrade to Gutsy!
    >>
    >> Upgrade to Gutsy!
    >>
    >> Upgrade to Gutsy!
    >>
    >> Upgrade to Gutsy!
    >>
    >> Upgrade to Gutsy!
    >>
    >> Never-ending and non-stop!! =)
    >>
    >> The only thing somewhat keeping me from doing it is that I'm not sure if
    >> the multi-screen issues I was having in the very beginning are fixed yet
    >> or not.
    >>
    >> Then again...come to think of it...
    >>
    >> I could just create an image of my root partition with DD...backup my
    >> /home....and then have a way to go back if things don't work out...
    >>
    >> Hmmm...tempting...tempting...tempting....
    >>

    > i recently attempted it, but my system slowed considerably using gusty and
    > my wife wasnt happy with the slow redraw we were having with kmail so i
    > zipped the home directories and dropped the feisty cd back in the drive
    > and away we went. i've written myself a little script to apt-get the
    > packages i use on a regular basis so setting up from a crash or failure
    > would be easier. proved worthwile with this fresh reinstall. i'll wait
    > till i upgrade hardware before i try gusty again although i did like the
    > way its shaping up.
    >
    > maybe i should look at the min requirements to gutsy to see exactly how
    > underpowered my machine really is =)

    Hmm I didn't notice any speed problems when I played with Gutsy on my
    laptop the other week.

    What are your system specs?

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  6. Re: Update to 7.04 possible???

    Stephan Rose illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 18:49:54 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >

    >> One question though, Gutsy is imminent (within 6 weeks), why not wait?
    >>

    > Yea there is this little voice in my head that keeps going:
    >
    > Upgrade to Gutsy!
    >
    > Upgrade to Gutsy!
    >
    > Upgrade to Gutsy!
    >
    > Upgrade to Gutsy!
    >
    > Upgrade to Gutsy!
    >
    > Upgrade to Gutsy!
    >
    > Never-ending and non-stop!! =)
    >
    > The only thing somewhat keeping me from doing it is that I'm not sure if
    > the multi-screen issues I was having in the very beginning are fixed yet
    > or not.
    >
    > Then again...come to think of it...
    >
    > I could just create an image of my root partition with DD...backup my
    > /home....and then have a way to go back if things don't work out...
    >
    > Hmmm...tempting...tempting...tempting....

    Did I mention virtual machines? ;-)

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  7. Re: Update to 7.04 possible???

    On 2007-09-06, Moog wrote:

    > Did I mention virtual machines? ;-)

    The adventure begins. I downloaded and installed VMWare Player and am
    now downloading a bunch of applicances, including Xubuntu Tribe.
    Wish me luck.

    --
    What were you? A jock or a brain?" http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    "I was a ghost." PSK - RLU 452647

  8. Re: Update to 7.04 possible???

    Karsten Heddenhausen illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> One question though, Gutsy is imminent (within 6 weeks), why not wait?

    > Puuh, that's a lot of work, i download the RC of Gusty and try this....

    That's the spirit. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."