OT: UK - BBC Iplayer update - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on OT: UK - BBC Iplayer update - Ubuntu ; Good news for UK Linux users. The Prime Ministers office has asked that the BBC's Iplayer be available across a range of operating systems and not just microsoft ones. Here's the response to the following petition.... "We the undersigned petition ...

  1. OT: UK - BBC Iplayer update

    Good news for UK Linux users.

    The Prime Ministers office has asked that the BBC's Iplayer be
    available across a range of operating systems and not just microsoft
    ones.

    Here's the response to the following petition....
    "We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to prevent the
    BBC from making its iPlayer on-demand television service available to
    Windows users only, and instruct the corporation to provide its
    service for other operating systems also."

    Response....
    The Government set up the BBC Trust to represent the interests of
    licence fee payers, and to ensure good governance of the BBC. The BBC
    Trust has responsibility for ensuring that the correct degree of
    scrutiny is given to all proposals from the BBC Executive for new
    services (such as the iPlayer) and any significant changes to existing
    services. To fulfill this duty, the Trust conducted a Public Value
    Test on the BBC Executive's proposals to launch new on-demand
    services, including BBC iPlayer. This included a public consultation
    and a market impact assessment by Ofcom. In the case of the iPlayer,
    following the consultation, the Trust noted the strong public demand
    for the service to be available on a variety of operating systems. The
    BBC Trust made it a condition of approval for the BBC's on-demand
    services that the iPlayer is available to users of a range of
    operating systems, and has given a commitment that it will ensure that
    the BBC meets this demand as soon as possible. They will measure the
    BBC's progress on this every six months and publish the findings.

    http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page13090.asp

    Each small victory ensures freedom from monopoly.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  2. Re: OT: UK - BBC Iplayer update

    Moog wrote:

    > Good news for UK Linux users.

    [snippage of good news stuff]

    > http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page13090.asp

    This is excellent.

    Power to the people!

    --#
    Steveski (Cenosilicaphobiac)

  3. Re: OT: UK - BBC Iplayer update

    steveski :
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    > > Good news for UK Linux users.

    > [snippage of good news stuff]
    >
    > > http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page13090.asp

    > This is excellent.

    How is it _any_ different from the Beeb's original intention; to
    release for Windows initially, followed (months, years, ?) later with
    support for others?

    At least now they know there are OSs other than Microsoft's, but
    that's small consolation.

  4. Re: OT: UK - BBC Iplayer update

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 13:37:24 +0000, s. keeling wrote:

    Snipped

    > How is it _any_ different from the Beeb's original intention; to
    > release for Windows initially, followed (months, years, ?) later with
    > support for others?
    >
    > At least now they know there are OSs other than Microsoft's, but
    > that's small consolation.

    It does mean they will have to be careful on their road map not to too
    tightly intergrate with Microsoft. The fuss that was created will mean
    that the BBC will not be able to do what other companies do and just
    promise it 'for the future' without a solid commitment. It will take some
    wind out of the relationship between MS and the BBC.

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

+ Reply to Thread