Bittorrent cross-platform clients configuration sharing - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Bittorrent cross-platform clients configuration sharing - Ubuntu ; Is it possible, if I install a cross platform bittorrent client, to share configuration between Windows and linux clients? That way, I would be able to download same files in Linux and Windows without re-checking files. Has anyone here tried ...

  1. Bittorrent cross-platform clients configuration sharing

    Is it possible, if I install a cross platform bittorrent client, to
    share configuration between Windows and linux clients? That way, I would
    be able to download same files in Linux and Windows without re-checking
    files. Has anyone here tried that?

  2. Re: Bittorrent cross-platform clients configuration sharing

    Fran illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Is it possible, if I install a cross platform bittorrent client, to
    > share configuration between Windows and linux clients? That way, I would
    > be able to download same files in Linux and Windows without re-checking
    > files. Has anyone here tried that?

    Azureus is available for both. It should just be a case of pointing
    Azureus to a common location for saving its files. This location must
    be accessible and writable by both Windows and Ubuntu.

    Azureus is in the ubuntu repositories and is available for windows
    from its webpage
    http://azureus.sourceforge.net/download.php

    I did try saving to the same location, but found that Azureus (and
    particularly its reliance on Java) was hogging a little too much of
    my system. This was a while ago (version 2.4 IIRC)

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  3. Re: Bittorrent cross-platform clients configuration sharing

    Moog wrote:
    > Fran illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Is it possible, if I install a cross platform bittorrent client, to
    >> share configuration between Windows and linux clients? That way, I would
    >> be able to download same files in Linux and Windows without re-checking
    >> files. Has anyone here tried that?

    > Azureus is available for both. It should just be a case of pointing
    > Azureus to a common location for saving its files. This location must
    > be accessible and writable by both Windows and Ubuntu.
    >
    > Azureus is in the ubuntu repositories and is available for windows
    > from its webpage
    > http://azureus.sourceforge.net/download.php
    >
    > I did try saving to the same location, but found that Azureus (and
    > particularly its reliance on Java) was hogging a little too much of
    > my system. This was a while ago (version 2.4 IIRC)

    I thought of Azureus, but for some reason it was too unstable under
    Kubuntu. Maybe I'll try again. I generally had success with linking
    configuration files, that's how I share my Firefox And Thunderbird settings.

  4. Re: Bittorrent cross-platform clients configuration sharing

    Fran wrote:
    > Is it possible, if I install a cross platform bittorrent client, to
    > share configuration between Windows and linux clients? That way, I would
    > be able to download same files in Linux and Windows without re-checking
    > files. Has anyone here tried that?

    Torrentflux (whose homepage seems to have disappeared from the internet)
    or torrentflux-b4rt can sit on an extra pc if you have one handy.
    Torrentflux is in Universe, and quite easy to setup and install. One of
    the nice things about it is that you just upload the .torrent file to
    the server running torrentflux, and things just ... happen in the
    background, which works out nicely for me because my main PC is a
    laptop, and stuff just doesn't work when I close the lid for the night.

    torrentflux-b4rt seems to be a bit more featureful, and it has the added
    benefit of having a website which is on line, but I'm lazy, so I just
    have the regular old torrentflux installed.

    hth,
    Rufus

  5. Re: Bittorrent cross-platform clients configuration sharing

    Fran illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Fran illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Is it possible, if I install a cross platform bittorrent client, to
    >>> share configuration between Windows and linux clients? That way, I would
    >>> be able to download same files in Linux and Windows without re-checking
    >>> files. Has anyone here tried that?

    >> Azureus is available for both. It should just be a case of pointing
    >> Azureus to a common location for saving its files. This location must
    >> be accessible and writable by both Windows and Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Azureus is in the ubuntu repositories and is available for windows
    >> from its webpage
    >> http://azureus.sourceforge.net/download.php
    >>
    >> I did try saving to the same location, but found that Azureus (and
    >> particularly its reliance on Java) was hogging a little too much of
    >> my system. This was a while ago (version 2.4 IIRC)
    >>

    > I thought of Azureus, but for some reason it was too unstable under
    > Kubuntu. Maybe I'll try again.

    Same here. I think it's more java related though. I now use Ktorrent
    in Ubuntu and Bitlord in Windows, linking the torrents is not a major
    issue for me.

    > I generally had success with linking
    > configuration files, that's how I share my Firefox And Thunderbird settings.

    In this instance, it would need a disk or location accesible to both
    windows and linux. The torrent clients work in differing ways, so
    you'd need to choose one that was available for both. Although this
    isn't always guaranteed success.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  6. Re: Bittorrent cross-platform clients configuration sharing

    Moog wrote:
    > Fran illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>> Fran illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Azureus is available for both. It should just be a case of pointing
    >>> Azureus to a common location for saving its files. This location must
    >>> be accessible and writable by both Windows and Ubuntu.
    >>>
    >>> Azureus is in the ubuntu repositories and is available for windows
    >>> from its webpage
    >>> http://azureus.sourceforge.net/download.php
    >>>
    >>> I did try saving to the same location, but found that Azureus (and
    >>> particularly its reliance on Java) was hogging a little too much of
    >>> my system. This was a while ago (version 2.4 IIRC)
    >>>

    >> I thought of Azureus, but for some reason it was too unstable under
    >> Kubuntu. Maybe I'll try again.

    > Same here. I think it's more java related though. I now use Ktorrent
    > in Ubuntu and Bitlord in Windows, linking the torrents is not a major
    > issue for me.
    >
    >> I generally had success with linking
    >> configuration files, that's how I share my Firefox And Thunderbird settings.

    > In this instance, it would need a disk or location accesible to both
    > windows and linux. The torrent clients work in differing ways, so
    > you'd need to choose one that was available for both. Although this
    > isn't always guaranteed success.

    I forgot one detail: Linux paths and Windows paths are not compatible,
    so I couldn't get Azureus to shre files althoughh settings sharing
    worked. I am currently running uTorrent under Wine and it seems to work
    perfectly.

  7. Re: Bittorrent cross-platform clients configuration sharing

    Fran illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Fran illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> I thought of Azureus, but for some reason it was too unstable under
    >>> Kubuntu. Maybe I'll try again.

    >> Same here. I think it's more java related though. I now use Ktorrent
    >> in Ubuntu and Bitlord in Windows, linking the torrents is not a major
    >> issue for me.
    >>
    >>> I generally had success with linking
    >>> configuration files, that's how I share my Firefox And Thunderbird settings.

    >> In this instance, it would need a disk or location accesible to both
    >> windows and linux. The torrent clients work in differing ways, so
    >> you'd need to choose one that was available for both. Although this
    >> isn't always guaranteed success.
    >>

    > I forgot one detail: Linux paths and Windows paths are not compatible,

    Hmmm....they are if you use samba.

    > so I couldn't get Azureus to shre files althoughh settings sharing
    > worked. I am currently running uTorrent under Wine and it seems to work
    > perfectly.

    Nice. So you're sharing between windows and your wine drive?

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

+ Reply to Thread